Menu

Turnips away ….

Ann.without.an.e

I was harvesting a large amount of turnips and then remembered that I can process them in the commercial sink my DH put in my garden/potting shed. Win win 💕

It is bigger than it looks - that metal pan is a commercial size steam pan. I love having this option. 

IMG_1843.thumb.jpeg.06211aebef7bc5b22adb998332d718d6.jpeg

• Like 30

25 minutes ago, Melissa in Australia said:

Will you make Cornish pasties with some? 

I grow turnips every winter just to make Cornish pasties

What are Cornish pasties?! We get lots of turnips in our CSA box and I am always happy to have new, yummy ways to prepare them.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Melissa in Australia said:

Will you make Cornish pasties with some? 

I grow turnips every winter just to make Cornish pasties

1 minute ago, ScoutTN said:

What are Cornish pasties?! We get lots of turnips in our CSA box and I am always happy to have new, yummy ways to prepare them.

yes yes we need to know more about these?

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Melissa in Australia said:

https://britishfoodhistory.com/2019/09/13/cornish-pasties/

Here is a link to a recipe. Very similar to the recipe I use, but I add carrots and sometimes peas. I also use lean minced beef not skirt steak. 

Has anyone ever thrown them back at you per this authors instructions?

"Sometimes you may find some carrot in your pasty, if you do, thrown it back the face of the person who gave you it, because there is no place for carrot a Cornish pasty."

😂😂

• Haha 7

Cornish Pasties!!!!! I wish I could make them as well as the little shop I had them at in England!

My first thought with the turnips was the pioneer woman's beef pot roast with root veggies. Also dreamy and yummy. 🙂

ETA: Do make sure you are pronouncing it correctly, it is "p-ah-s-t-ee-s", not past-ees and certainly not paste-ees. lol 😛   

Edited by sweet2ndchance
  • Like 3

I love turnips. I mash them sometimes, too, because that’s how my grandmother preferred them—only I dice and boil them for that. If I roast, I just eat them diced. Yummy.

In stew no one in my family can tell the difference between them and potatoes, so it’s a great way to cut some carbs if you’re in to that. 🙂

@Ann.without.an.e That is a dreamy set up!

Edited by popmom
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, popmom said:

I love turnips. I mash them sometimes, too, because that’s how my grandmother preferred them—only I dice and boil them for that. If I roast, I just eat them diced. Yummy.

In stew no one in my family can tell the difference between them and potatoes, so it’s a great way to cut some carbs if you’re in to that. 🙂

@Ann.without.an.e That is a dreamy set up!

We didn't realize we liked them until we tried growing them 3 or so years ago. They are one of our favorite garden delights. I really need to experiment with them beyond just dicing them in with the greens lol. 

It is nice with seed starting racks and stainless shelving, I'm so blessed. And as always, DH recycled a lot of the materials from elsewhere. They are constantly renovating at his workplace and he is over construction so if they are tossing it and he truly thinks we can use it he will snag it. Thank goodness he isn't a pack rat and lets a lot of things go too though haha. 

• Like 3