Menu

Help me put together a healthy appetizer...

Ali in OR

Dh and I are invited to dinner with another couple--just the four of us. We asked what we could bring and it is suggested that we do a small appetizer or dessert. We are both trying to eat healthy and have been off sweets for some time, so I lean toward an appetizer. I'm not one for the standard veggie tray--I eat my veggies as salads. I'm thinking cheese but with something else. Not a full charcuterie board. If we had summer-ripe tomatoes I would want something Caprese-like or bruschetta, but I've never made either. Brie? Thin baguette slices? What is nice, easy, not too much food, not too unhealthy, kind of flexible? Ideas from the experienced entertainers out there?

Make a chicken sandwich filling, like chopped chicken with tarragon and a little sour cream and dried minced onion.

Wash a bunch of endive leaves, the scoop shaped ones, and dry thoroughly.  Put curly parsley all over the bottom of a big oval platter.  Lay out the endive leaves on this (the parsley is just to stabilize them).  Put a little dab of the chicken salad on each one, on the stiff part close to the base.

• Like 2

I like making appetizers with crostini (thin lightly toasted baguette slices) and various toppings.  You could pick just one as you mentioned "simple."

Since you mentioned cheese:  one favorite is crostini, smear of fig jam, small dollop of caramelized onion, topped with a small slice of a good cheese like aged gouda.  This also works on a homemade par-baked pizza-crust:  again, a smear of fig jam,  plenty of sautéed onions, topped with shavings of good cheese, heat until hot and cheese is melted.  Slice and serve.  Good even at room temperature.

Other crostini ideas that have worked well and been easy:  

a.  Crostini, smear of simple avocado mash (bit of salt, lemon), topped with sautéed bay shrimp seasoned with a light mexican flavor (cumin, chili powder, squeeze of lemon or lime).

b.  Crostini, smear of cream cheese (flavored or not), topped with thin slivers of prosciutto, garnished with arugula (winter) or fresh basil (summer).

Here's a picture from an appetizer board I prepped for a simple home wedding a few months ago:

WeddingSpread.thumb.jpg.4f7a24d81579cc1d680326df3030b70d.jpg

• Like 8

If you want something more healthy for dessert, then bring that so you have some control. Chances are that if you don't bring dessert, they'll supply it and it may be something high sugar. Maybe some fruit salad with fresh pineapple, oranges and strawberries over frozen yogurt? 

Edited by wintermom
  • Like 2

We recently hosted an appetizer heavy gathering and both of these were big hits:

https://www.thepioneerwoman.com/food-cooking/recipes/a94462/grilled-mini-sweet-peppers-with-goat-cheese/

https://www.thepioneerwoman.com/food-cooking/recipes/a35928984/everything-cucumber-smoked-salmon-bites-recipe/

For the second one, I just used Everything But the Bagel seasoning from Trader Joe’s. Just noticed @BandHposted the same recipe. Great minds think alike! 😜

Edited by Frances
  • Like 1