Menu

Lace tablecloths and teen boys

freesia

I got my table all ready for Easter—lace over pink table cloth, candlestick holders, silver salt bowls. Along comes ds17 with the airplane he’s building and the hot glue gun. I am unreasonable to think it’s a bad place for him to work. Lol. Sometimes I think I operate on a different planet from my boys. But I love them!

• Like 1
  • Haha 11

The concept of decorating a flat surface for any reason is incompatible with boy life until approximately the age of 50 which is about when said males will actually NOTICE that maybe grandma's 100 year old strawberry basket theme tablecloth with a WHITE background is not the place to apply rocket poxy, an adhesive not unlike a cross between peanut butter and tar, on rocket fins and bulkheads, and more predictably permanent than gravity itself.

Ask me how I know this. 🙄😜😠

How the male mind ever became in control of the earth, I will never know. Yes, dh and his three sons lived to tell the tale. I am, after all, a benevolent ruler. That's not to say that the queen refrained from dressing down her subjects on the matter.  😁

• Haha 5

4 minutes ago, Faith-manor said:

The concept of decorating a flat surface for any reason is incompatible with boy life until approximately the age of 50 which is about when said males will actually NOTICE that maybe grandma's 100 year old strawberry basket theme tablecloth with a WHITE background is not the place to apply rocket poxy, an adhesive not unlike a cross between peanut butter and tar, on rocket fins and bulkheads, and more predictably permanent than gravity itself.

How the male mind ever became in control of the earth, I will never know. Yes, dh and his three sons lived to tell the tale. I am, after all, a benevolent ruler. That's not to say that the queen refrained from dressing down her subjects on the matter.  😁

I can do totally relate!

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Faith-manor said:

How the male mind ever became in control of the earth, I will never know. 

My theory? It’s because we were too busy trying to keep people alive in the age before birth control and antibiotics to care about the appearance of control. 

• Like 3

You have teen boys AND a lace table cloth?!

I think it was around the time my wrecking ball started walking that I gave up any hope of decorative anything. Nearly 2 decades later he asked why there were no pictures on the wall or trophies on the mantle and why we had the cheapest possible furniture and couches (with lifetime warranty on the frame). I took out my phone and scrolled through pictures to remind him of the blood and carnage that resulted from "we were just hanging out and relaxing, I swear." He walked off mumbling that "it wasn't that bad" and I resisted the urge to print off his medical records of his ER trips and the reciepts for couch frame repairs.

One day wrecking ball will have his own house with all the nice things he feels I deprived him of and I will be a grandparent watching wrecking ball jr demolish their parents dream of a house of nice, unbroken, things. Probably with the foam weapons I buy and teach them how to use. 

• Haha 6

11 hours ago, Faith-manor said:

Wait, you have a strawberry tablecloth?   I would love to see a picture as I collect them!

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Carol in Cal. said:

Wait, you have a strawberry tablecloth?   I would love to see a picture as I collect them!

I HAD a strawberry tablecloth. Had is the operative word. Hubby and five male rocket team members that included our sons ruined it. It wasn't a little rocket poxy. It was a lot. Rocket proxy is a thermodynamic mixture that has to be mixed. Two said males took the components away from the work tables so "they won't get bumped" and apparently thought the table I had decorated for tea with some ladies latter that day was a good work space. They then managed to spill the 13 oz of it on the tablecloth immediately after mixing it. 😭😭😭 It went all over and there is no chemical that dissolves it without ruining the surface it has been applied to. The tablecloth went into the garbage, and the leader of the bunch, husband the 4H mentor, was dressed down for not paying attention to the team and what they were doing. I had run to town to pick more five minute epoxy for the construction of the avionics bay.

We all made up easily after I decided to get over the loss about an hour later. I have such a nerdy soft spot for rocketry and teens that I just had to sigh and take one for the team as the saying goes.

Don't ask what the wood floors in that same area loom like after failure to notice that the engineering team's hydrogen fuel cell project had cracked and begun leaking. My house has been battered and bruised in the name of scientific exploration. We do not have a garage which is problematic for such endeavors!

• Like 4