Menu

Honors college ? (for a specific school)

mlktwins

So...DS2 has decided on UMW (pending a final decision on a deferral). But is he probably going to UMW regardless. Anyway, he and his brother applied for Honors College when they applied to UMW and they were both accepted. Neither of my boys wanted to do Honors College their first year. DS1 didn't apply for it at JMU (although I think he is going to talk to them once on campus and see if he can apply and start in January).

DS2 does not want to do it.

But...DH and I think he should at least try it. Here are our reasons:

1. We think it will look better to try it for a semester or a year and opt out later than to not do it at all (decline the offer outright). He applied for it originally because he was hoping for a specialty scholarship and you had to be in Honors to get it. That does not appear to be happening.

2. The benefits aren't awesome, but there are some. Honors kids get to move in 3 days before everyone else. This will give my introverted kid time to settle in and adjust to dorm life, etc. rather than moving in with all the chaos. Honors doesn't have specific housing so he isn't necessarily going to be rooming with another Honors student, but there is a chance. He could pick his side of the room, arrange furniture, clean, unpack, etc. before another roommate is involved?!?!?

3. Honors gets priority class registration, which DH and I consider to be a big plus that DS2 doesn't understand the ramifications of. But...it isn't a huge school so maybe not super helpful? 

4. It will force him to get him out and about with a group of people each week (they will be together those first 3 days and then I believe they meet once a week the first semester). He is not thrilled about the this, but can handle it if needed.

5. There are specific honors classes he will be able to take.

He is not thrilled that he will have to give a presentation to faculty as part of the first semester honors required class -- LOL. He has also performed a LOT of volunteer service over the years. He would like to continue, but not because it is "required." 

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

ETA: We've paid the admissions and housing deposit. He filled out and sent in his First-Year Questionnaire. BUT...he needs to actually hit the yes, I want to enroll button and, included with that electronic submission, he has to say yes or no to the Honors College offer. Really need to decide this weekend! Or should he say yes, and then think some more and talk to them?

ETA: To fix my typos. The kids walked in while I was writing it and I got all rushed and sent it -- LOL.

Edited by mlktwins
  • Like 3

I want to tell you something definite, but I, too, have a senior boy.  I think he should do it.  I don't think you should make him do it.  He could always drop out of the program if he hates it, right?  Anyway, props to you mom.  It's hard to let them make these decisions when they have so little experience.  I think it will be ok either way.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

With the benefits you listed, I would find myself highly motivated to encourage him to sign up for the Honors. Definitely sign up NOW (and if he reallyreally hates the idea, he can drop before the semester even starts, or midway through - uch easier to do it this way and think on it over the summer vs. dropping it now and having to go through red tape to re-enlist).

The early sign up to classes AND the early move-in time is SO MUCH nicer than you can imagine. The early move-in alone = worth it. IME, the small schools are sometimes the toughest ones to guarantee classes.

And, honestly, having an introverted child myself, having at least one thing that *requires* him to get out of his comfort zone socially on a weekly basis that first semester is a positive thing. He could even find a volunteer opportunity he genuinely enjoys there on campus.

Again, if he absolutely hates it, it's plenty easy enough to drop.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, easypeasy said:

The early sign up to classes AND the early move-in time is SO MUCH nicer than you can imagine. The early move-in alone = worth it. IME, the small schools are sometimes the toughest ones to guarantee classes.

All of my kids stayed in the honors program in college just for the early registration - it is priceless in many schools.  None of them completed the requirements to graduate in the honors college - they only stayed in for the registration benefit. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I think the only reason of yours I really agree with is #3 but that alone would be worth it at a big school for sure. The one of mine that didn’t do it was at a very small school and it was zero issue. But for the other two at public state universities it was absolutely worth it for that benefit alone. 

I wouldn’t let your reason #1 worry you one little bit. I don’t think there is anyone or anything it would look better to to start and drop out. So I’d let that worry go. The other points have some merit but not enough to fuss at him about, imo. But in a school with any degree of tight registration whatsoever, the priority registration is awesome.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

My oldest did the honors program at her small LAC. For her, the moving in early was a great benefit. They did a food-centered workshop that first week which allowed them to bond while going on a lot of excursions together (farm, fancy restaurant, food bank, etc.).  She hates change, but felt settled before school even started. None of the kids in her year (only 30 from each year are in the honors program) ended up being her close friends. That said, the people she really hit it off with were a year older than her and 4 of the 5 were in the honors program as well. 

She let the university choose her roommate and did not end up rooming with another honor's student. My second who went to the same school her freshman year (in the process of a transfer now, Covid made her choose the same school as her sister, but it wasn't a good fit) did end up with an honors student by chance. They met on the class of 2025 instagram group and decided to be roommates. They didn't know they were both in honors until the list came out that summer. 🙂 It was kind of nice that they were both there early.

My oldest got every single class she wanted all four years she was there due to priority registration. That was a huge plus for her.

Good luck in figuring out if it's the right fit. Mine went in thinking she might not stay in it, but it was a net positive for her. 

Edited by Kristini2
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thank you all for your feedback! This group is so helpful to us newbies to the college process! I greatly appreciate it.

This Honors thing is holding back his actual enrollment and I want him to finish it today if possible.

So...do you think (at a small school) it is better to sign up and then cancel before the year starts (if I can't convince him to at least try it)? The professors in charge of Honors are in Chemistry and English and he is doing Business at least.

I worry he will get a bad rep either way before he even starts. I hope they don't hold it against him if he decides not to do this.

I am also pretty comfortable with his admissions officer - she has been wonderful. I wonder if I should talk to her (or have DS2 email with her) about his uncertainty at doing Honors and is it ok if he says yes now, but changes his mind? I think that would be the thing that would ease both of our minds, but not sure how this will come across.

I could bribe him with some $$$ to try it for a semester 🤣! Seriously as he is saving us a good bit of money (over his brother) by going to this school.

I think for him, he wouldn't mind the academic part of it. But he has done a lot of community service over the past 5 years. He is tired of it being a requirement (if that makes sense). 

He will not like the public speaking, but took a class in it in 7th grade and has done some in his history classes. He can do it, but prefers not to if at all possible (he comes by this legitimately as DH and I both hate public speaking).

There are 3 courses that are required (as shown below). Those are part of the concern.

Anyway, here is an overview of the Honors College:

At least 12 credits of Honors course work (this part is not a concern).

This is what he has to do the first 3 days he is on campus. It is a 1 credit freshman honors requirement:  https://academics.umw.edu/honorsprogram/admissions-and-orientation/honors-orientation-city-as-text/

Required 2nd year:  https://academics.umw.edu/honorsprogram/benefits-opportunities/service-and-leadership/

Another requirement:  Leadership

Leadership takes many forms in any community.  Some of them, like holding an elected office or running an organization, are easily seen.  Others, like developing a meaningful program or using your strengths to teach others, are equally important. Championing this nuanced understanding of leadership’s many forms, the UMW Honors Program challenges all scholars to develop themselves as leaders on campus or in the community and to think about what leadership means to you, what it looks like, how it relates to service, and what your own strengths and weaknesses are as a leader.

Scholars may rise into various positions of leadership during their time at UMW.  In HONR 002, we ask them to spend a semester reflecting intentionally on that experience. Most scholars will complete HONR 002 in their third or fourth year (though it doesn’t earn credit, it is necessary to earn University Honors at graduation).

There is a capstone project class and requirement too. 

Sorry this got long! This is currently the only thing totally stressing me out about DS2's college choice. Very happy with everything else. DS1's housing concerns after freshman year is the big stressor at his school. I'm 😬already!!!

• Like 1

Honestly, I don't think it sounds worth it. Look good for who? Literally no one will ever know he was in honors unless he goes to grad school. And even then the relationships and things he does his first year won't matter that much. At a small school, the early registration is nice, but usually not a giant deal. Depends on the school, so I'm not sure about UMW, but it wouldn't be enough to lure a lot of kids. It's nothing like trying to get your classes at a big flagship. My kid's at a small school and he's bottom of the barrel for choices and he's literally not missed a single course he wanted during freshman year except for this one blow off theater course that he wanted to take with his gf because he was already friendly with the prof. Clearly not a big deal. And the other things you list... if they don't appeal to him... I mean, they don't. I would urge him to consider it, but in the end, I'd leave it entirely up to him. I definitely wouldn't bribe my kid to do something like this. It's his college experience. It's up to the kid.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Farrar said:

Honestly, I don't think it sounds worth it. Look good for who? Literally no one will ever know he was in honors unless he goes to grad school. And even then the relationships and things he does his first year won't matter that much. At a small school, the early registration is nice, but usually not a giant deal. Depends on the school, so I'm not sure about UMW, but it wouldn't be enough to lure a lot of kids. It's nothing like trying to get your classes at a big flagship. My kid's at a small school and he's bottom of the barrel for choices and he's literally not missed a single course he wanted during freshman year except for this one blow off theater course that he wanted to take with his gf because he was already friendly with the prof. Clearly not a big deal. And the other things you list... if they don't appeal to him... I mean, they don't. I would urge him to consider it, but in the end, I'd leave it entirely up to him. I definitely wouldn't bribe my kid to do something like this. It's his college experience. It's up to the kid.

Just addressing the bolded. Not worried about him after college. I don't want it to be held against him by anyone at the school that he declined the honors college that they offered him a place in.

He would not have applied at all except for that one potential scholarship opportunity. But now he is accepted and he needs to say yes or no.

I think you are overestimating how much the people at the college care if your ds does the honors college. I think they do not care at all so I’m not sure why you are worried about how it looks. I think the honors college exists as a way to lure kids there and offer certain extras. I don’t think they’re care if your kid does it or not. 

I have never encountered in any college visit, and I’ve done quite a few, the impression that they desperately want kids to participate. It’s there as a marketing tool and something extra they can offer but I don’t think they care if someone chooses not to do it. One less kid they have to manage through the honors process.

But I am admittedly a skeptic on many things college related. 

Edited by teachermom2834
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, teachermom2834 said:

I think you are an overestimating how much the people at the college care if your ds does the honors college. I think they do not care at all so I’m not sure why you are worried about how it looks. I think the honors college exists as a way to lure kids there and offer certain extras. I don’t think they’re care if your kid does it or not. 

I have never encountered in any college visit, and I’ve done quite a few, the impression that they desperately want kids to participate. It’s there as a marketing tool and something extra they can offer but I don’t think they care if someone chooses not to do it. One less kid they have to manage through the honors process.

Thanks for your insight! Merit money isn't tied to Honors college at this school so that is good. It is at some of the others.

I wouldn't even ask about it at a bigger school, but it is small campus.

I think the biggest benefit for the first year of Honors is getting to adjust to campus before everyone moves in. That would be a big motivator for me if I was going to a new school, but maybe not for him. He would like to stay home those extra 3 days (his brother will be moving to campus before him) and he will have extra space to himself her e at home -- LOL.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, mlktwins said:

Thanks for your insight! Merit money isn't tied to Honors college at this school so that is good. It is at some of the others.

I wouldn't even ask about it at a bigger school, but it is small campus.

I think the biggest benefit for the first year of Honors is getting to adjust to campus before everyone moves in. That would be a big motivator for me if I was going to a new school, but maybe not for him. He would like to stay home those extra 3 days (his brother will be moving to campus before him) and he will have extra space to himself her e at home -- LOL.

I understand. I have one kid who I think would have had a much better college experience if he had actually participated in his honors college and taken advantage of the opportunities it offered (he used it just for the priority registration and then dropped it when he didn’t need it anymore). But alas, we cannot always make them do the things that are good for them. 

But your ds isn’t going to have anyone hold it against him or penalize him in any way for declining the spot. I just can’t even imagine that scenario. I do have a kid that has money tied to his honors program so of course that is totally different! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, teachermom2834 said:

I think you are an overestimating how much the people at the college care if your ds does the honors college. I think they do not care at all so I’m not sure why you are worried about how it looks. I think the honors college exists as a way to lure kids there and offer certain extras. I don’t think they’re care if your kid does it or not. 

We actually had two of our kids be told by the honors colleges at their school NOT to join.  Both kids came in with many DE credits and it was going to be difficult for them to fulfill the honors college requirements of taking honors classes without taking classes that didn't go towards their degrees.  Both schools had no way around this other than to tell students in this situation that the honors college wasn't a good fit for them. It was baffling to me that they didn't have a solution for students who were admitted with many DE credits!  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If he enrolls, it will be easy to drop out later. If he doesn't, it will be hard to enroll later. Most schools give enrollment priority to older students, so early registration can be a huge benefit for a freshman, especially if there's a well-known difference in instructor quality which there often is due to the large number of classes for common freshman requirements.

What's his major?

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Malam said:

If he enrolls, it will be easy to drop out later. If he doesn't, it will be hard to enroll later. Most schools give enrollment priority to older students, so early registration can be a huge benefit for a freshman, especially if there's a well-known difference in instructor quality which there often is due to the large number of classes for common freshman requirements.

What's his major?

Business

WRT the early move-in, there may be other ways to accomplish it without honors college.  I only have big-campus experience, but I know there were many things we could have done to facilitate early move-in for DD18 if she would have wanted to do that - anything from just paying a few $$ (It was super cheap - maybe $20/day per day early) to volunteering to be a move-in helper, to applying early for a campus job and starting training before school started.  Maybe it's less common at a small school, but at DD's school, lots of students had reasons to move in early.

• Like 1

OP here. I would like to thank everyone for their feedback. It was really helpful to me.

DS2 went ahead and accepted Honors so he could move forward with enrollment, but I think he will likely decide not to do it. DH and I are in support of whatever he decides so he doesn't have to worry about what we think, which is good.

• Like 8

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/17/2023 at 2:31 PM, mlktwins said:

So...DS2 has decided on UMW (pending a final decision on a deferral). But is he probably going to UMW regardless. Anyway, he and his brother applied for Honors College when they applied to UMW and they were both accepted. Neither of my boys wanted to do Honors College their first year. DS1 didn't apply for it at JMU (although I think he is going to talk to them once on campus and see if he can apply and start in January).

DS2 does not want to do it.

But...DH and I think he should at least try it. Here are our reasons:

1. We think it will look better to try it for a semester or a year and opt out later than to not do it at all (decline the offer outright). He applied for it originally because he was hoping for a specialty scholarship and you had to be in Honors to get it. That does not appear to be happening.

2. The benefits aren't awesome, but there are some. Honors kids get to move in 3 days before everyone else. This will give my introverted kid time to settle in and adjust to dorm life, etc. rather than moving in with all the chaos. Honors doesn't have specific housing so he isn't necessarily going to be rooming with another Honors student, but there is a chance. He could pick his side of the room, arrange furniture, clean, unpack, etc. before another roommate is involved?!?!?

3. Honors gets priority class registration, which DH and I consider to be a big plus that DS2 doesn't understand the ramifications of. But...it isn't a huge school so maybe not super helpful? 

4. It will force him to get him out and about with a group of people each week (they will be together those first 3 days and then I believe they meet once a week the first semester). He is not thrilled about the this, but can handle it if needed.

5. There are specific honors classes he will be able to take.

He is not thrilled that he will have to give a presentation to faculty as part of the first semester honors required class -- LOL. He has also performed a LOT of volunteer service over the years. He would like to continue, but not because it is "required." 

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

ETA: We've paid the admissions and housing deposit. He filled out and sent in his First-Year Questionnaire. BUT...he needs to actually hit the yes, I want to enroll button and, included with that electronic submission, he has to say yes or no to the Honors College offer. Really need to decide this weekend! Or should he say yes, and then think some more and talk to them?

ETA: To fix my typos. The kids walked in while I was writing it and I got all rushed and sent it -- LOL.

I am late to see this and see he has made a decision, but will offer some information about this specific honors program since my DD is in it. 

1. You can opt out later easily. My DD is consider doing it as she has reached a point where it is not useful to her. They actually have an issue with students doing this and are trying to encourage them to stay.

2. The early move in was nice, but honestly the 3 days of honors activities and then the regular orientation exhausted my introvert. It was just a lot all at once and really she didn't feel like there was actually time to rest and recover. She did get to pick her side of the room though.

3. Priority registration is definitely the biggest benefit there. Especially the first two years, since it normally goes by seniority.

4. My DD was not super impressed with the city as text course. It will be hit or miss whether you like the people you are grouped with. She felt like it was kind of a waste of time.

5. Anyone there can take honor classes if there are spaces when they register, so that's not really a benefit. Also, I think you mentioned he would be studying business and there are not any business honors classes (or haven't been up to this point).

The honors lounge is nice if you want a quiet place to study and they usually have snacks. If you enter in honors program then the honors advisor is the one who will set up your classes and they were easy for my daughter to reach out to. If he fills out the form where he lists classes he would like to take, make sure he looks at the fall schedule, sees what classes have spaces, and is very specific. It will help the advisor make decisions.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On 2/21/2023 at 12:31 PM, Kassia said:

We actually had two of our kids be told by the honors colleges at their school NOT to join.  Both kids came in with many DE credits and it was going to be difficult for them to fulfill the honors college requirements of taking honors classes without taking classes that didn't go towards their degrees.  Both schools had no way around this other than to tell students in this situation that the honors college wasn't a good fit for them. It was baffling to me that they didn't have a solution for students who were admitted with many DE credits!  

This is great information to know. Filing this tidbit away to ask schools about later. Thanks! 

• Like 1