Menu

Conditional college acceptance

Ginevra

I did not know this was a thing and would love to hear from anybody who does know this is a thing. I think I know what Ds/I am going to do but I wanted to think out loud with my Smart People’s input. 

Ds is a high school senior and applied Early Action for only in-state schools, one private. The private is a smallish school and is commutable distance from home. This school has an exceptionally good graphic design and interactive media program, which is ds’ intended path. And, not to brag, but he is outstandingly good at 3-D modeling graphic design. He is currently in a statewide juried art show for his designs. This school is about 80% the one I think he should attend and he feels the same. He has multiple scholarships there but it is still expensive and I have told him I cannot afford for him to be on campus for four years unless he becomes an RA or figures out some way to get $15k more dollars for free. 😏

However. He also applied, on his teacher’s recommendation, to our state flagship Giant University, because they have an Interactive Media major that is bound to be perfect for him. However, in terms of school fit, this is where I least see him going. He has even told me directly that he does not care one jot about the “college experience” thing; he just wants to work on his interests, get a degree and get a decent job. 

This was the last school to send acceptance and he just received it yesterday. However, I was reading the info after he went to bed last night and it’s not exactly what he thinks it is. It is acceptance into an academic achievement summer transition program, after which he *may* get accepted into flagship uni. I have not discussed this with him yet, but I don’t want to go this route. For one thing, he would have to not accept the offer from the private school he’s really interested in and then what happens if he does not get into state flagship after all? 

Not to mention just the logistics of going away to college for six weeks this summer when that is not what he expected to do with his summer. He would also be allowed to live on campus for the six weeks (which is basically a must because driving there daily would be kind of horrible) and all this sounds like a big investment to make sooner than expected and with an uncertain outcome. 

BUT! Also, maybe I don’t know what I’m talking about. Maybe this is an ideal way for him to get in to a college that is academically a reach for him and is “more prestigious” of a degree. (Actually, my dd told me yesterday not to base the choice on that metric because, “Nobody gives a crap what university you graduated from, so long as you graduated at all.”) 

So. Have you ever heard of this type of program? I think he is partially chosen for it because he is first generation four-year degree.  How much of this should I be placing in his lap to decide v. my saying I don’t think this is the right plan for him? Should I explain it in a neutral way or let him know my negatives right off? WWYD? 

Yes, fairly common at state U's.  I wouldn't have him do it.  Some don't just have a summer transition. Some have a year or more, especially aTm.   For engineering only the tippy top actually get to do their freshman year there. Others get to do a hybrid: take regular classes at aTm, but the engineering ones at junior college nearby. If they do well, then they get accepted to engineering.  Others have to take everything at the junior college for a year and then they look at them again.

My advice is NOT to do that public uni.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I do think programs like this can be good for some students to set them up for success.   Big state Us are rigorous and require a lot of adulting and self motivation.  

But I wouldn’t send a kid unless that was their first choice, they were motivated and enthusiastic about doing it, and it was affordable.   sounds like you have another good choice.  

And your daughter is smart.  The name of your college is much less important than what YOU do personally.  

• Like 3

Not really the same thing, but dd got into one UC school in her second-choice major which she had decided she didn't want to do. They said she could apply to her first-choice major (mechanical engineering) after a year, but no guarantee she would get in. I think she was wise to choose a different school in her first-choice major. She would have had a lot more stress about grades in very difficult classes, and even then the numbers are just always against her being the high school class of 2021 (so many 2020's delayed school a year due to Covid that numbers for her year are just huge). They only allowed transfers if there were openings, and I'm just guessing there weren't as many as previous years). I would not want to sign up for an expensive summer program without a guarantee of being in for fall.

• Like 2

I feel like these types of programs are too location specific to know. I’d survey local friends online and talk to both the teacher who recommended the program and whoever you can speak to at the school about the experience. And maybe google that program specifically to see if you can find reviews. 

I had a cousin who had to transfer from one state university to another because the program she was in was too competitive to officially admit her, but the other program let her in with honors and had better job connections later for reasons I don’t understand. 

• Like 1

A sure thing versus a maybe he's not even really interested in?  Go with the sure thing.  FWIW, my dd attends a small-medium local university and lives at home.  She is a bit of a big fish in a little pond academically, and she is thriving.  She has research opportunities as an undergraduate that might not be available to her at a larger school.  She also knows and is kind of friends with most of her professors.  

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, Faith-manor said:

I ma team sure thing. We have a flagship who does some of this conditional nonsense and the students pay out of pocket for the program, almost none get accepted for fall. It is a money racket for the school.

See I was worried about this possibility, especially as it would mean declining the scholarships and attendance at the small school. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Quill said:

See I was worried about this possibility, especially as it would mean declining the scholarships and attendance at the small school. 

Don't do it. If they admit him, it is highly unlikely they are going to offer scholarships or financial aid because all of that is determined in March. You will be on the hook for the entire amount.

• Like 1

One of the schools that older is considering offers a couple of entry options - regular fall start, summer start, and a 'bridge' program where students take classes at the CC for a year and then transfer. My understanding of the summer start and bridge programs are that students start as regular students after either completing the summer or 1 year of CC with good grades.  So, in that case, it's not an unsure thing if the students can earn the required grades.  But, if it was really uncertain, I wouldn't risk it, especially if he'd rather be somewhere else anyway.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Faith-manor said:

I ma team sure thing. We have a flagship who does some of this conditional nonsense and the students pay out of pocket for the program, almost none get accepted for fall. It is a money racket for the school.

Oh that seems extra crazy to me.  Like I was imagining it was a program with a good orientation and supports and students who did well in their classes would move on.  And other students obviously not going to be successful in the envionrment would be likely to want to pass anywya.  Like what is even the point of that other than a cash grab?   Ridiculous. 

• Like 1

I'm familiar with the specific program. I even knew someone who used to teach the English course that kids had to take in it.

Most kids get through it (Or, I should qualify, I haven't looked recently, but last time I did, it was well over half). Yes, it's a risk, but it's not a crazy one for a student who can plug away and do decently in an academic course and adjust to college life.

That said, that flagship is huge. I was there not long ago showing it to my business partner and she was like, holy cow, the buildings are scary big, which I had not thought about in ages, but yeah, they are. And their interactive media program is just okay and doesn't have a huge track record (though there's a specific company that I think they have a relationship with, so if he wants to work there, maybe consider it more heavily and MOST interactive design programs don't have a huge track record yet, so that's not necessarily unusual). I'm not 100% sure which private you're considering, but if it's the one I'm thinking of, I'm not totally sold on their interactive media program either, but he'd definitely have a ton more hands on experience. The biggest thing if he's going into game design is being able to get internships and opportunities to show his work.

Edited by Farrar
  • Like 1

• 7 months later...
3 hours ago, *LC said:

What did your son decide? 

I know students who have done something similar at a nearby college, and they were glad they did. 

He chose neither of the schools in my OP. In a plot twist, he decided to go to a small school in state which we can afford and he likes/loves for environment and culture. 

• Like 7