Menu

2023 Goal Group - January

Granny_Weatherwax

January Week 4:

Health/Fitness/Weight Loss

- Same as last week with daily walk, vitamins, water, plenty of fruit and vegetables 

- Find exercises/stretches for plantar fasciitis and calf cramping. My feet have started hurting again and my left calf cramps up when I walk sometimes. The cramp spreads into my ankle, foot, and knee and gets pretty painful. Loosing some of this extra weight will probably help but also looking to ease the discomfort until then. 

Outdoor Time 

- My goal for January was 20 hours. I’m at 14.25 with 9 days left in the month. So I should be able to make it. We have a few rainy days in the forecast but as long as it’s not too heavy I’ll walk anyway. I can also work in my potting shed. 

Home/Decluttering

- The sunroom still needs to be done. Not sure it will happen this week either. My schedule is packed this week. 

Reading

-First book finished, second started.

Study/Learning

- Keep up with my girls in Algebra 2

- Start Spanish on Duolingo, 3 days

Personal Growth/Relationships

- Spend time daily working on these goals

Financial

- Shop for lower electricity supply rate, begin researching cheaper cell phone options. This is leftover from last week. Really need to get to it this week. 

Rest (mental, physical, and emotional) 

- I think I will make Saturday a regular unplugged day. Staying off of screens for a day, even if not perfectly, really has helped me feel more calm, quiet, and rested. It gives my mind a chance to rest. I think I will work on ways to decrease my screen use the rest of the week as well. 

- Afternoon rest break where possible.  

• Like 4

January mini goals

63m walk/hike - 51 miles 

50 m bike - 36 miles

2 pounds - 2🏋🏼‍♀️

Paint 1 room - kitchen

2 platelet donations - Jan 2 and Jan 16🩸

Officiating -1 training; 3 matches

Truck - ahead one payment🚙

Contact 2 organizations about available volunteering opportunities - rethinking

Outside hours: 40

Read/listen to books: 6

-

I struggled this week with wanting to do my Peloton workouts. I am not sleeping well and had one day where my body was so bloated and painful I didn't want to do anything but walk (almost but not quite as bad as being glutened; no digestive symptoms). I do not know what I ate that caused the bloating. I am doing well with the no sugar portion of my diet but did increase my carbs a bit and ate some GF pumpkin gnocchi which was in the pantry. I wonder if something in the gnocchi (potato) was the trigger. I also noticed I did not drink enough water last week. I got in my 64 oz but it was a lot of unsweetened tea and one or two Bais a day. I allowed Bais because the label says it is low glycemic and I thought they would help with my end of day cravings.

--

This week I will do Peloton workouts three times. I will finish my biking and walking/hiking goals. I will increase my water to 64 oz daily. I think I might do a two day liquid diet (bone broth, water, green juice) to see if I can get rid of the rest of the bloat. I will review tennis rules for two hours in preparation for another assignment this weekend. I will finish two more books (one audio, one print). I will select the kitchen paint color and purchase painting supplies.

• Like 4

The bathroom is decluttered! I just printed out some labels for the baskets in the cupboard. Need to laminate those tomorrow and figure out how to affix them. This week, I plan on tackling the laundry area. I should be able to clear off the two shelves above the washer and dryer, and possibly tackle the vertical shelves next to them.

• Like 2

Homeschooling: wrap up senior year. 

January was good if low-key. She finished French, I listened well.  I wrote to the FA office.

This week: Submit mid-year report, think about timing for Spring DC visit.

Health, fitness, wellness: establish a few new habits and focus on heart health.

I feel really happy with January's accomplishment in this realm.  Checking in on those threads has helped me be strategic and accountable.  I've done all of the above, plus rearranged my diet to include breakfast which makes me feel better than IF.

This week: add more time to morning routine.  Cardio something every day.  Watch out for mindless snacking in the next two days as I recuperate from my epic drive.

Family and elderly mother: support my mother and sister, increase mindfulness of my adult children being adults.

January is coming to an end with a massive change: my mother might move to a retirement community.  This came about only this week as last weekend she was in a lot of pain and barely able to dress herself with her bad arm.  Sleepless nights for me led to a sudden decision to just call the place where lots of her friends are living and see if maybe they had an apartment with a view, and lo and behold they did plus it is affordable!  We have never even considered this option before because we never thought it could be affordable, plus that's not the way she took care of her mom.  But sisters were all instantly on-board, then mom, then went to visit and she likes it.  We're all processing the worry and sadness of her moving out of the house but mostly it just feels like relief.

This week: so much.  call and email and zoom to arrange all elements of the move, including banking.  I don't know how this is going to work but thank goodness my bil is there now to start the process.  

For dsturning24 I am giving him a portable file folder box and setting up files for him to slot into a system.  Adulting for his birthday.

Creativity: build on what I've begun in 2022.

January was good for mending and whittling, but I need to get in a pattern, probably by attaching it to something else.  Screen time is what gets in my way of creative time.   I didn't have a less-screen time goal for January, but will for February.

This week: only use the computer in the early morning when no one else is up.  Put it away, then re-open while cooking dinner to see if there's anything that needs attention, put away until morning.

Also this week: possible beginning of the press

Home and garden projects: to-do list and pollinator gardens.

January was OK - I did fix the drawer of drawers but can't really move forward on most of my goals since they all depend on dh doing things.

This week: order plants and seeds, fix the craft hutch.

Social: be social.

January = failure. 

This week: walk with K. 

Community service: lean in to a couple of projects, pick up some more little ones.

January was good for my board work, but I have a feeling nothing else will happen until my mother's situation is figured out.

This week: email committee, give leadership role to someone else while I get my mom sorted out.

Learning: shift from homeschooling my kids to homeschooling myself.

January was a little bit of this.  I failed at signing up for two classes to shake my brain loose, but now that my mother's world is changing that is probably just as well. I am going to learn a lot about elder care.  I did pick up my medieval Latin class a little bit.  I'd like to make this a pattern too by attaching it somewhere.

This week: Try this week to do my class work with my second cup of coffee, before anyone else wakes up at which time I close my computer.

Reading: a little fiction.

January = failure.  

This week: pick up some PG Wodehouse at the library, read it.

Travel: with family, not just to mom's.

January, no travel, but I bought a ticket to go to Mom's at the end of this week.  I may be organizing her move and staging the house, thoughts and prayers please 🙂

This week: travel.

• Like 1

January week 4 goals Check In

walking-  just keep on putting one step in front of the other today is day 145 of walking 

other exercises- ditto today is day 24 of exercises 

yard work- two more hydrangea bushes - I left the two humongous ones for last  hydrangeas are all pruned.  Started on some weeding  

ministry- government paperwork for January - this is out of my control but it’s here so that I will keep logging in to see if the site is accessible yet  no luck yet  

social-  manage my social appointments for now. - have one coffee date this week  had a nice coffee date with another pastor’s wife  

books- keep on reading yup

keep on with Bible study yup

decluttering - one more bag (at minimum) to Goodwill  one bag dropped off at Goodwill 

figure out what to do with my tupperware.  Haven’t found the lids yet. 

• Like 3

We have through Tuesday to make progress. 

If January was a struggle, it's okay. Remember, our goals are YEARLY and broken down into smaller bites. You may need to readjust a bit for Feb, but you can still make progress.

If you are ready to quit - ask yourself if your goal(s) is/are reasonable. Are they something you truly want to do? Are they attainable under your circumstances? Take stock in your desire, your resources, your obligations, etc and rethink your goals. Remember, your goals should be specific, measurable, achievable, and relevant. Our time line is 2023.

--

It's time to think about setting February's mini goals. Break out your calendar and your journal. Open your bank page (if necessary). Gather whatever you need to review and include for your Feb. schedule. Take some time to look at your resources and goals and create your February plan.

--

We'll be summing up January on Tuesday so keep working. We can do this.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I have dropped my workouts this past two weeks. I haven't been feeling well (lots of inflammation and joint pain) and unable to determine why. It turns out a food I have been eating had undeclared gluten (wheat grass/barely grass) and I've been glutened almost every day for 10 days. Now that I know about the gluten, I have stopped the food item and hope to recover soon.

I am bummed, though, because I was doing well. I also feel bad for my dog; we went from 3-8 miles a day to nothing.

Despite the setback with workouts, I have managed to remain sugar free, low carb, and stick to my diet. The glutening, however, has meant a lot of inflammation and water retention and the scale isn't showing much weight loss. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I will be happy when I weigh in tomorrow.

• Like 4

Summarizing January goals:

1. Health and Wellness

*Eliminate all solitary snacking (mostly accomplished)

*Eat at least 1-2 vegetarian days per week (yes; usually Monday and Friday, because dh agrees to Meatless Monday and Friday night is pizza night)

*choose nutrient dense food daily (I’ve done really well with this.)

*read and learn about food & nutrients (yes).

* I have not done my exercise goals consistently. I need to do better in Feb.

2. Art

*Continue painting every week. (Yes. I’ll put a painting on here I did this month.) 

*continue to manage my photos monthly. (Yes)

*I may have difficulty with this for Feb, because I am working on organizing a lifetime of photos for my MIL’s Celebration of Life. 
3. Financial

*I started YNAB again. 
*Learning Quickbooks Online (even though I hate it.) 

4. Adventures

*Did my Jan adventure

*I have started planning some of my 23/23 list. 
*Planned part of UK trip

5. House

*Cleaned out closet in dd’s old bedroom (This was a very large task as she is an artist and has a ton of art, cards, ribbons, and schtuff in there!) 

*Ordered furniture for Family Room. 
*Planned the butterfly and hummingbird garden I plan to put in. 
*This is another thing that might get back-burner’d for Feb, because MIL’s house has to be emptied. 
6. Continue…

*I have continued my past habits: daily Duolingo French; keep email unreads below 100; continue book club; continue adventure club; continue monthly photo organization; continue planning dinners with our dinner-couple friends. 

January is good but it’s hard too with my MIL’s death. I am still waiting to start my job and that’s annoying. My eating habits have been exceptionally good but my exercise plans have been spotty for reasons including insomnia, grief, fighting with Quickbooks, dread of reality and anxiety. February may be a lost month, as I will be occupied with a bunch of MIL’s stuff. 

• Like 3

Two days left in January. I’m going to post my progress with January goals. I’ll be working on planning my February goals and will post in a couple of days. One of the big things I need to work on is using my planner more consistently so that I can keep track of my commitments and responsibilities so that I can plan realistic smaller goals. I did better with this in January but there’s still plenty of room for improvement. 

January goals:

Health/Fitness/Weight Loss

- daily walk 5x a week (can be as short as 10 minutes) Walked 6 days each week and was up to 30-60min each time the past few weeks. 

- take vitamins daily, especially iron which I suspect is low

- drink 16 oz of water first thing each morning

- eat a fruit and/or vegetable with each meal

- no more late night snacking, especially alone 

I managed the rest of these about 5 days a week. Maybe only 4 days this past week. I need to plan ahead for busy days a little better. 

Outdoor Time 

- go outside every day   DONE

- two hikes (first location done yesterday) Only did one. Two was a bit ambitious for January. 

- 20 hours outside, 4 hours this week. 45 minutes to go. Should be able to do that tomorrow. 

Home/Decluttering

- finish reorganizing kitchen     DONE

- put away and clean out Christmas decorations     DONE

- finish organizing and setting up sunroom as a craft room.    Never got to this one. I’ll bump it to February. 

Reading

- Choose and start first novel.    Finished two books and started a third. 

Music (piano, violin, singing)

I decided to drop this one early on. Setting goals in this area made music seem like work, which is exactly what I don’t want. 

Study/Learning

- Keep up with my girls in Algebra 2   DONE

Personal Growth/Relationships

Worked on these goals most days. Making progress I think but these are harder to measure. 

Financial

- Pay off credit card

- Shop sales to stay within grocery budget

- Work on habits to reduce electricity usage (our provider is doubling rates this month. Yikes!) 

All done.

Rest (mental, physical, and emotional) 

- One unplugged day (parameters TBD)   Did two days 

- Listen to music while cooking   DONE   I’ve been enjoying this. 

- 20 minute screen free rest break each day (nap, walk, read, piano, bath, whatever feels restful at the time).  This is still a work in progress. 

• Like 4

January check-in: I feel pretty good about January.  Mainly because I've stuck to my new fitness routine, added some new moves to it, and eliminated snacking.  Ready to tweak it a bit in February.  Not only do I feel better in my body but I trust myself more because I stuck to it and it became a habit.  

I want to be more specific with my goals in February because I think I can achieve them now.

I'm adding Shake My Brain Loose to my Phrase(s) of the Year.  

My Strategic Planning goal has been suddenly focused on getting my mother into a new retirement community.  I expect this will consume the next two months, then level out.

Onward!

• Like 3

On 1/1/2023 at 7:11 PM, Carrie12345 said:

I’m always a difficult person, lol. Many of my goals are not very measurable. They can be broken down, but not fully quantifiable, and some can’t be scheduled. I did write them all down though, and I’ll pick out a few things here for January.

- daily workouts, rotating strength, cardio, and yoga. If I feel like cheating, am and pm stretching plus dog walks can count.

Nope. Still doing these things, but definitely not at that frequency.

- figure out how much water I’m actually drinking, and make sure it’s decent. I tend to fill my bottle whenever I pass the fridge, regardless of how much is or isn’t still in there, so I have no idea. Instead of a nightly sweet drink, be down to 2 or 3/week.

Figured it out, haven’t increased water enough, HAVE decreased sweet drinks!

- work with each puppy on improving recall at least twice a day.

More like 1 puppy, 1x/dy 

- track all spending and stay under budget

Tracking yes. Under budget, technically no.

- take a CLEP test

Adjusting this goal, explained below.

- finalize business plan

Still tinkering, “investor” may be pulling out.

- start at least 1 online college course. If business plan doesn’t work out, sign up for more

I actually enrolled for 19 credits this semester. 😱It’s insane and I love it. Except for speeches. Speeches are torture.

- schedule multiple Dr appts

Did

- make at least 1 new dinner recipe and 1 new bread

Did not

- actually do my whole morning and evening routines at least 5 out of 7 days (sometimes that depends on other people.)

Close!

- use screen time wisely

Mostly

- choose a vacation house (as a group) to celebrate Mom’s 70th birthday and retirement 

I narrowed them down. Awaiting consensus.

- work on a more positive attitude. NOT toxic positivity, but more positive and motivated 

I’d say yes!

- attend fire dept meeting, social committee meeting, and township meeting

Did

- browse seed catalogs 

No, but I ordered other supplies on sale

- get my elliptical from old house to new. (That thing is stupid heavy, even in pieces.)

Nope

- deep clean fridge and freezer 

Fridge, yes. Improved freezer but have not deep cleaned yet.

So, that was more than a few!

I’m tired.

On 1/21/2023 at 7:13 AM, TexasProud said:

Ok will put today's updates in blue

Yearly Goals
Lose 40 pounds.
Publish Devotional somehow
Make a podcast
Continue to declutter the House

Final update:

January Goals

1. Lose 5 pounds.  Lost 7 pounds

• I will drink 9-10 cups of water a day
  • I will record what I eat ( just on paper).
  • I will eat more fruits and vegetables each day. 
  • I will weigh myself every day.  
  • I will allow one day a week for desserts/treating myself. 

2. I will create the podcast.   

• I will choose and purchase music. Done
  • I will record the thirty one devotions. 5 are recorded but not created
  • I will create the podcasts. created 17
  • I will revise the artwork I made for it. worked on it but not done
  • I will choose where to put my podcast page and create it.
  • I will figure out how to distribute them: Apple, etc.  
  •  

3. Publish the Devotion

• Recording the devotions as podcasts will allow me to proof it one more time. ( I had one group of friends proof it and substantially revised it.  After a month, I edited it again and found a lot of errors. Then one friend proofed it, but she didn't find much. Again, recorded 5.  Will finish recording the rest this week and then that is as proofed as it is going to get.
  • Research pros and cons of selling it on Kindle or Etsy or ????  Ok, I think I am going to sell it myself and not through Amazon. I went through some training this week for Christian content creators and joined a group that will really help me with the technical and business side of stuff. 
  • Upload it to whatever medium I choose.

4. Declutter the Attic  Completed. Have to deliver the homeschool stuff and take one more load to Goodwill, but attic is clean and organized and so is the garage.
Everything is out of the attic. It is swept and my husband took the dust vac up there as well.  That took us a week.  We went through a lot of our stuff as well. I filled up the back of my Highlander twice and took it to recycling.  This week we begin putting the organized things back up there and taking stuff to donate to the library and Goodwill.

• I didn't put Christmas decorations back.  They are in middle son's bedroom.
  • I might take a few of my homeschooling books down while dh is out of town.
  • My husband and I are going to take a week to do this.
  • I need to figure out what I am going to do with all of the TOG stuff and other homeschooling materials.
  • Take stuff to Goodwill.
  • Take a load to recycling.

5. New Goal is to get my website working

• I have already improved the speed by taking off broken links, getting a plug in to optimize photos and a few other things that took it from 52 to 89.  Ok these are next on the list:
  • Upgrade and fix Google analytics  Done, I think. 🙂 
  • Decide on email program ( to keep what I have or go with Substack)
  • Redo my landing pages
  • Decide what the content will be for newsletters since email lists are supposedly incredibly important
  • Create 10 blog posts Created 2.

Overall, I am happy. Because I joined that group that has been very helpful,  I have been going through the module and thinking through how in the world to do this. ( Podcast, devotion, etc.)

• Like 3

I waited until the last day to update. Overall I did best with my wellness goals. The others not so much.

Wellness -

-Weigh every Monday - I mostly did this but often I'd forget until after I had my coffee and breakfast. I'll update my Feb. mini goal to weigh weekly. That way I won't feel like I failed if I don't weigh on a specific day of the week. I have a goal to lose 12 pounds this year and I lost 1. It's hard to get excited about a pound though unless it stays off. So far so good.
-Walk 1x week - Met. Most weeks I got more than one walk in.
-Strength training 1x week - In progress. Some weeks I did it several times, some not at all.
-Stretch or yoga daily - Met
-Eating healthy - I had several mini goals relating to meal planning and prepping snacks that I didn't meet, however in general I ate healthy meals and snacks.
-Meditation - I haven't been following the book I chose nor have I managed meditation every day, but I'm happy with what I've been able to do and will continue this in Feb.

Personal Growth/Learning -

I had 3 goals here - Learning Italian, Learning to get my dslr camera off auto, and following a motivational book with a group of women. The only one I've done consistently is the book, Every Monday Matters. I did better with Italian than with my camera. I'm revising the mini goals for February.

Home Care -

-Christmas decorations put away - Met
-Set up cleaning app - made some progress but not completed
-Reset daily routines - This month threw me some curve balls that gave me very little time for home care. None of these curve balls were bad things but they just consumed my time.
-Do at least one zone thoroughly - almost but not quite 

I keep coming back to my word of the year - Consistent. It was definitely the right choice as it's something I really need to work on.

• Like 3