Menu

If I have a frozen boston butt...

:lol::lol::lol::lol::tongue_smilie:

Sorry, couldn't resist.

For some reason my roasts often come out better when I put them into the crockpot frozen in the morning. You might want to put it on high for a couple of hours, and then turn it down to low for the rest of the day. HTH

Kim

I haven't tried this myself, but I heard that if you place a sheet of aluminum foil under the crockpot cover it will decrease the cooking time.

I cook a defrosted roast in the crockpot all day; I would think a frozen one would require even longer cooking time.

Let me know if the foil thing works. Some ladies in a yahoo group swear by it.

"If I have a frozen boston butt...."

Then you should move further south! :smilielol5:

I'm sorry - I couldn't help it! It's the first thing that popped into my head when I read your subject line.

DITTO! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sorry, Jessica. I've never heard of such a thing. :D I imagine it would be no different than any other roast, though. I put them in the crock pot frozen with just a bit of water (maybe a cup or so); the frozen meat will release more water than if the meat were thawed.

Someone beat me to it. :-)

Great minds and all, eh?

Great minds, indeed!

Funny, though. I was just talking with a flutist yesterday, and it's been super cold here, so we were swapping cold weather stories. Well, she used to play for ice shows (Icecapades?) and it would be so cold in the rink, right next to the ice, that the musicians would bring heating pads to sit on. So a heating pad to sit on was my first thought, reading frozen butt....

I'm not a big meat eater, but I've never heard of this cut.

Quite the apropos title considering the weather in Boston this last week! People are just getting their power back after the big ice storm last Thurs, and it's more snow and ice this morning (my kids are out enjoying it :tongue_smilie:). The public schools have been closed for 4 days so far. Our church had services this week with no heat or electricity - we all wore our parkas and gloves.

My recommendation for a frozen Boston butt is to point it at a wood stove or other heat source (at least that's what I always do with mine), but that's probably not what you meant... :D

Edited by matroyshka

can I put it in the crockpot now (9:30 am) and expect it to be done at 6:00 pm? It's only 3.5 lbs. I've never done this but a little online hunting shows it can be done, I'm here to talk to the real experts. Shameless brown-nosing, I know but I trust y'all more than websites. :bigear:

How much water do I add?

I cook frozen meat often and think it will be fine. I hope you're going to be home though. I have noticed that the more late model crock pots dry up faster than the older ones. I have left and come home to a dried up burnt bottom after only a few hours. I used to be able to leave all day without a hitch in the meat, but no more. Friends have said the same.