Menu

Can we all agree that "you think that's cold? It's (fill in the blank) where I am right now!" is not helpful....???

TheReader

It’s still largely an equipment issue. Early winter and early spring we get freezing rain and melting days worth freezing nights. The difference is equipment and workers. Preceding potential hazardous comditions, out go the orange plow trucks to all major roads and less major roads in order of most traveled. They lay these little black things across our roads in summer to determine how heavily traveled roads are… 🤷🏼‍♀️ I assume it’s for road maintenance priorities. 

The trucks spray brine to prevent ice buildup. Later they will plow, salt, sand, but that brine is a game changer. Oh, and we have incredible supplies of salt, sand, trucks, employees, and a budget to deal with this kind of stuff. It would be silly for other areas to do this. But still, in our area it is taken for granted. Today our road is almost entirely blown shut. I can almost guarantee county maintenance will make it past our house by 9 a.m. People complain if the plows don’t go past, but have they ever stopped to consider how amazing it is that we function the day after 8”-12” blizzard?

Plow map

Last I looked 110 plows working on Iowa roads this evening. That’s amazing. 

Edited by BlsdMama
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, BlsdMama said:

It’s still largely an equipment issue. Early winter and early spring we get freezing rain and melting days worth freezing nights. The difference is equipment and workers. Preceding potential hazardous comditions, out go the orange plow trucks to all major roads and less major roads in order of most traveled. They lay these little black things across our roads in summer to determine how heavily traveled roads are… 🤷🏼‍♀️ I assume it’s for road maintenance priorities. 

The trucks spray brine to prevent ice buildup. Later they will plow, salt, sand, but that brine is a game changer. Oh, and we have incredible supplies of salt, sand, trucks, employees, and a budget to deal with this kind of stuff. It would be silly for other areas to do this. But still, in our area it is taken for granted. Today our road is almost entirely blown shut. I can almost guarantee county maintenance will make it past our house by 9 a.m. People complain if the plows don’t go past, but have they ever stopped to consider how amazing it is that we function the day after 8”-12” blizzard?

Plow map

Last I looked 110 plows working on Iowa roads this evening. That’s amazing. 

The plowing difference is incredible In Wisconsin it would be a matter of hours no matter what and the roads would be perfect.  It's just not done here and really I doubt it's worth the money for the 3 or 4 days a year that it is bad. 

• Like 1

Just now, Lawyer&Mom said:

It’s only 40 degrees this morning but the ice is gone!!!  I can finally go pick up my kids!  I was worried it would take higher temps for everything to melt. (I think all the rain helped.)  It’s a Christmas Eve miracle!  🎉🎄🎉

The rain does help - since it's warmer than the ice.   Dh is off running errands.  I need to run some errands- but the roads are clear. woohoo.

• Like 1

Pure ice here. You can practically see our reflection in the road. Winds howling at 60 mph. Though the plows are out, it doesn't do a bit of good in terms of making it safe to travel, if anything, it is worse. It is too cold for the salt work, and while getting stuck in snow drifts is not ideal, it often doesn't cause injury. Ice just causes people to lose control, and those accidents can be very, very bad. Of course if one tries to walk away from a wreck, the ice makes it so you risk breaking your neck while walking. So I kind of wish they had not plowed, and then just used the plows to pave paths for EMS, fire, and police as needed.

• Sad 3

I bought this last winter and it’s a beautiful thing to have this week. Dd says I look like I’m from the Water Tribe. The only  problem is it’s SO cozy it puts me to sleep. Do NOT get oversized. Those must be for linebackers. Regular is huge. 

https://www.amazon.com/Bedsure-Wearable-Blanket-Standard-Sweatshirt/dp/B08CXTK3FM/ref=mp_s_a_1_8?crid=2X89GWGGI9COW&keywords=fleece+lined+pullover+robe&qid=1671937502&sprefix=fleece+lined+pullover+robe%2Caps%2C92&sr=8-8

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, KungFuPanda said:

I bought this last winter and it’s a beautiful thing to have this week. Dd says I look like I’m from the Water Tribe. The only  problem is it’s SO cozy it puts me to sleep. Do NOT get oversized. Those must be for linebackers. Regular is huge. 

https://www.amazon.com/Bedsure-Wearable-Blanket-Standard-Sweatshirt/dp/B08CXTK3FM/ref=mp_s_a_1_8?crid=2X89GWGGI9COW&keywords=fleece+lined+pullover+robe&qid=1671937502&sprefix=fleece+lined+pullover+robe%2Caps%2C92&sr=8-8

That looks so cozy I almost wish it's something I could actually use here.

I was cracking up at the photos, especially the one one with the woman in strappy spike heeled sandals and sunglasses. And the video too. Let's walk the dog wearing our blankets. Let's all sit outside in our blankets. 😎😂

Edited by Lady Florida.