Menu

~~~~~~~~~~~~ December 2022 Frugalistas ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

mommyoffive

Happy Holidays indeed!  It has been a pretty great year for my family both financially and relationship wise.  Our biggest win is that dh has finally been able to commit to sticking to a budget and being a part of finances.  For whatever reason he's always just avoided it and let me handle everything.  He was fine with me just telling him what we can and can't afford.  But that makes planning for financial goals difficult.  So, I imagine 2023 will be an even better year for our savings and earnings goals.

I have spent the last half of the year getting better at my routines because I found myself juggling so much while accomplishing what seemed like very little.  The few small changes I've made have cleared up so much of my time!  I don't want to overdo it and end up overscheduling myself again and becoming overwhelmed.  My biggest 2023 goals aren't financial entirely.  1. reinvest time into my ebay business 2. reach my goal weight.

I'm done Christmas shopping so it'll be a pretty frugal month.  

We are going to the zoo tomorrow with a group of home school friends because the zoo got a state grant for free admission for students.  So, we just had to pay $24 total for dh and myself.  We'll have lots of Christmas celebrating. Not much else since dh and I are travelling to Puerto Rico in Jan.

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

Love this idea of gifting experiences instead of things

Want Priceless Memories? Gift Experiences, Not Things… | Hip2Save

I love the idea of experiences.  A few years ago my fil shifting to experiences for adults. He's gotten me tickets to see a comedian I love and gift cards to a comedy club.  I'm excited to see what this year will be.  He also did Broadway tickets for dd one year.  

If we enjoy Puerto Rico, I'd like to plan another trip with the kids next year and give that to them as their christmas gift.  They get so much from family that they really don't need anything more from us.

• Like 2

Well, we got to come home from Mayo Clinic early because the doctor cancelled one test (since the first test was conclusive) and moved her appointment to the morning. We still have one virtual thing today, but we saved 2 nights at the hotel - yay! We now know where DD's illness originated and how to treat it (it unfortunately is not curable) going forward. Crossing my fingers it works. Of course, it means completely different pills - ugh, and I just got a 3 month supply of 2 of the ones that are discontinued. 

DD felt better than expected in Rochester so we did the free zoo up there and a small museum.

I only have my mom to work on for Christmas, and I think she's getting gift cards (free from credit card points). So close to being done with Christmas. 

My goals for the year a) to get to goal weight (like hjffkj) b) pay off credit card and large loan (leaves small loan and student loan to be paid 2024) c) save a couple thou in our emergency fund.  

Who remembers what my goals were way back in January? Some notable things from 2022: figured out DD's gluten intolerance, lost 40 pounds, paid off a 0% balance transfer card, and got a different job and scaled back the first to be a side job.

• Like 4

We accomplished our main goals: continuing to pay for medical, continuing to pay for college and replacing the roof. Our “change in plans” moment was installing solar. We talked about and looked extensively at replacing a 20 year old car but we did solar instead to take advantage of some tax breaks before they expired because we weren’t sure they would be extended.

• Like 2

No wild plans for December here, fwiw. We are still saving every spare penny. 

The tech world is going through massive layoffs across most of the major companies. I mentioned here some months ago that we saw this coming and had begun preparing. Tech is always cyclical with hiring and firing, but it’s nerve wracking to go through this part of the cycle.  Those with strong prospects are all making the decision as to whether to leap to a new job or stay. There are advantages and disadvantages to each option, but the dynamic fuels instability and stress for everyone. Dh has chosen to stay which is awesome because we are so sick of moving, but a lot of coworkers are going which is understandable but stressful. 

• Like 2

After 4 years, we are more than one full year ahead on the mortgage. Right now that's a savings of way too much money in interest. 😄

We're keeping this month as our giving month.  It is not a frugal 30 days, but we don't intend it to be.  However, we've also cut out any paid entertainment for ourselves: no Nutcracker, light shows, concerts.

Next year we'll be hemorrhaging money.  DS has a few opportunities that cost quite a bit, and even though he has helped, it's still a big budget bite.  But, also no family vacation is planned other than maybe a quick weekend drive.

Plans next year include cutting cable, working on our degrees (mine and dh's), and attempting to continue the same pay rate on the mortgage, paying 15 months in 12.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, hjffkj said:

I love the idea of experiences.  A few years ago my fil shifting to experiences for adults. He's gotten me tickets to see a comedian I love and gift cards to a comedy club.  I'm excited to see what this year will be.  He also did Broadway tickets for dd one year.  

If we enjoy Puerto Rico, I'd like to plan another trip with the kids next year and give that to them as their christmas gift.  They get so much from family that they really don't need anything more from us.

This is what  we have done for our kids for years and will continue. They are getting a trip for Christmas this year.  Hopefully we get to go. As they got one in 2019 and it got cancelled.  But yeah we do it as a Christmas present and for their birthdays.  Hope to go on trip for the holidays someday too and just turn everything into gifts of experiences as they get older.

4 hours ago, historically accurate said:

Well, we got to come home from Mayo Clinic early because the doctor cancelled one test (since the first test was conclusive) and moved her appointment to the morning. We still have one virtual thing today, but we saved 2 nights at the hotel - yay! We now know where DD's illness originated and how to treat it (it unfortunately is not curable) going forward. Crossing my fingers it works. Of course, it means completely different pills - ugh, and I just got a 3 month supply of 2 of the ones that are discontinued. 

DD felt better than expected in Rochester so we did the free zoo up there and a small museum.

I only have my mom to work on for Christmas, and I think she's getting gift cards (free from credit card points). So close to being done with Christmas. 

My goals for the year a) to get to goal weight (like hjffkj) b) pay off credit card and large loan (leaves small loan and student loan to be paid 2024) c) save a couple thou in our emergency fund.  

Who remembers what my goals were way back in January? Some notable things from 2022: figured out DD's gluten intolerance, lost 40 pounds, paid off a 0% balance transfer card, and got a different job and scaled back the first to be a side job.

Awesome goals that you did during the year!!

Boo on the 3 month supply of pills you don't need now.  I am glad that the doctors found out how to treat your dd's illness.  I hope that she has better health going forward now.

59 minutes ago, HomeAgain said:

After 4 years, we are more than one full year ahead on the mortgage. Right now that's a savings of way too much money in interest. 😄

We're keeping this month as our giving month.  It is not a frugal 30 days, but we don't intend it to be.  However, we've also cut out any paid entertainment for ourselves: no Nutcracker, light shows, concerts.

Next year we'll be hemorrhaging money.  DS has a few opportunities that cost quite a bit, and even though he has helped, it's still a big budget bite.  But, also no family vacation is planned other than maybe a quick weekend drive.

Plans next year include cutting cable, working on our degrees (mine and dh's), and attempting to continue the same pay rate on the mortgage, paying 15 months in 12.

Awesome goals!  Great job on the mortgage.  

1 hour ago, prairiewindmomma said:

No wild plans for December here, fwiw. We are still saving every spare penny. 

The tech world is going through massive layoffs across most of the major companies. I mentioned here some months ago that we saw this coming and had begun preparing. Tech is always cyclical with hiring and firing, but it’s nerve wracking to go through this part of the cycle.  Those with strong prospects are all making the decision as to whether to leap to a new job or stay. There are advantages and disadvantages to each option, but the dynamic fuels instability and stress for everyone. Dh has chosen to stay which is awesome because we are so sick of moving, but a lot of coworkers are going which is understandable but stressful. 

Hoping your dh stays safe.  That stress is hard.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, prairiewindmomma said:

We accomplished our main goals: continuing to pay for medical, continuing to pay for college and replacing the roof. Our “change in plans” moment was installing solar. We talked about and looked extensively at replacing a 20 year old car but we did solar instead to take advantage of some tax breaks before they expired because we weren’t sure they would be extended.

Great job.  You accomplished lots.

4 hours ago, Brittany1116 said:

Hello. We have finished buying gifts aside from one $15 item. We have yet to get the car fixed from late October breakdown. Mechanic is having a hard time finding parts. Good news is gas is down a bit and we have a full freezer. Hoping the month is uneventful.  

I hope it is for you!

I filled up for $2.80!!!  

• Like 2

I'm not feeling that frugal this month, but I *do* have about 20 lbs of random lentils from the Indian grocery store that I need to cook through. My goal is to make a dish with weird lentils at least once a week.

We're planning to buy DD14 a violin "for Christmas", so that's a big expense. DS17 is continuing college applications, which is also expensive. DS10 is experiencing some health problems which will get expensive if we can't figure them out through the normal doctor. Sigh.

When I started working last year, I wasn't getting any benefits, but I decided to max out my IRA. I planned to do so year-round, even though I had the summer off. Due to some HR issues, I didn't get rehired 9/1 as planned but 11/16. Argh. Anyways, I kept up the IRA contributions and am glad to now be getting paychecks to fill that hole!

Emily

• Like 1

1 hour ago, EmilyGF said:

I'm not feeling that frugal this month, but I *do* have about 20 lbs of random lentils from the Indian grocery store that I need to cook through. My goal is to make a dish with weird lentils at least once a week.

We're planning to buy DD14 a violin "for Christmas", so that's a big expense. DS17 is continuing college applications, which is also expensive. DS10 is experiencing some health problems which will get expensive if we can't figure them out through the normal doctor. Sigh.

When I started working last year, I wasn't getting any benefits, but I decided to max out my IRA. I planned to do so year-round, even though I had the summer off. Due to some HR issues, I didn't get rehired 9/1 as planned but 11/16. Argh. Anyways, I kept up the IRA contributions and am glad to now be getting paychecks to fill that hole!

Emily

Glad for the paychecks coming in.  Sending some hugs and prayers about your ds.  I hope things get figured out and he feels better.

I spent money yesterday I hadn’t planned on spending—bought a light kit set (soft boxes and umbrella lights and reflectors) and some other basics for DIY portrait photography. Our friends and family all do professional photographs for graduations and events. That used to be in our budget but isn’t anymore. We have two sets of senior photos coming up next year and dh’s work often asks for pro level photos also. Yesterday it all came to a head with an extended family request for photos turned in almost immediately. This is the first request for such a thing by this person ever and of course everyone else has them done already. 🫣 🙄

The holiday expectations, y’all…. Just call me the grinch because this kind of thing drives me crazy.

• Like 1

*HOT* $10 Off $50 or $25 Off $100 Target Toys Coupon | Starts December 4th In-Store and Online

Beginning December 4th and going through December 10th, head to Target where they will be offering a NEW Circle offer for $10 off a $50+ toy purchase or $25 off $100+ toy purchase to use in-store or online!

Even better, they have a ton of toys that will be on sale! Use this Circle offer on those sale-priced toys to get the most savings!

Honeybaked Ham stores have ham bones on sale for $3.49 each. They are usually 2.69/lb and weigh 3-6 pounds each, so $11-16. They have tons of ham left on them, which I chop up for recipes before I use the remainder for soup. I found out only because I stopped to pick up sandwiches for my daughter and her friends who are studying for grad school finals and was in line behind a woman who was buying one. So—my good deed was rewarded with cheap ham! Made my day. 

• Like 4

9 hours ago, prairiewindmomma said:

Walgreens has been running good deals on photo cards—60% off with the code JOYCARDS. OTOH, they are currently reprinting my same day order due to streaking. ☹️

I made a photo book a few weeks ago on their site and used a code for 75% off. It came out great and cost me so little

14 hours ago, hjffkj said:

Man, booze is expensive at restaurants. I know it has been forever but I don't usually partake. But dh and I went out for a friend bday. We ate before going but we're gonna get a drink or two. I think I'll just drink at home from here on out

My 23yo says the same thing!  😄

Slightly frugal week here.  DH and I found a great price on the illustrated Harry Potter book we wanted to get ds for Christmas.  We also drove over to the outlets and got everyone what they need for winter: a heavier coat, boots, and water resistant trainers for ds12, a few base layers and pair of boots for ds23.  Usually we go up there, make a note of the trainers and buy online - dh gets 50% that way - but the store was running a "doorbuster" sale and the online price was about $10 higher after the discount.

I need to meal plan but I really don't want to grocery shop again until tomorrow morning, when the store is less crowded.  I'm thinking pasta alfredo for dinner tonight with a Caesar salad.  I have everything necessary, and it's quick and filling.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

Anyone else noticing this???

From chicken wings to used cars, inflation begins to ease its grip (msn.com)

Other than gas I am not. Just did a grocery order and saw lots of increased things from last week.  😞

I'm not seeing any easing of inflation either. Last trip to Aldi's saw price increases on eggs, peanuts, cream cheese, and whipping cream (the only things I happened to notice because I buy them often...)

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

Anyone else noticing this???

From chicken wings to used cars, inflation begins to ease its grip (msn.com)

Other than gas I am not. Just did a grocery order and saw lots of increased things from last week.  😞

I think my grocery order was pretty stable. Eggs are still going up. Everything is way up from last year, but it seems somewhat stable from week to week now.

I might go find my post where I went through the 2021 grocery order from walmart and see if it's the same now. Found it:: Saraha started it in September 

First price is Sept 18, 2021/Second price is Sept 21, 2022/Third price is Dec 4, 2022

m&m family size $3.38/$6.98/$6.98

Store brand pancake mix $1.68/$1.98/no longer sold

2% gallon milk $2.25/$2.87/$2.83

gala apples $1.47 per pound/$0.84 per pound/$0.84

peaches $1.28 per pound/$2.08 per pound/$1.27

Crackers $1.98/$2.78/$2.78

Loaf of Honey Wheat Bread $1.98/$2.68/$2.93

Gallon white vinegar $1.58/$2.28/$2.28

Hot dog buns $0.88/$1.00/$1.10

Lemonade mix $1.18/$1.94/$1.94

Garlic Bread $2.00/$2.00/$2.16

Store brand cooking spray $1.97/$2.28/$2.28

Italian seasoning packets $3.98/$4.98/$4.98

Cake mix $1.20/$1.58/$1.58

Frosting $1.50/$1.74/$1.74

Tombstone frozen pizza $3.77/$4.58/$4.58

Pretzels $1.98/$1.98/$1.98

Velveeta $5.88/$4.98/$4.98

eggs (dozen) $1.17/$2.22/$3.98

yogurt $1.80/$2.36/$2.36

Cheerios $5.98/$6.98/$6.48

rotel $0.98/$1.28/$1.24

canned tomatoes $0.88/$1.68/$1.36

pasta $1.60/$2.38/$2.38

vitamin c lozenges $1.97/$2.12/$2.12

ziploc bags $3.82/$4.64/$4.64

tartar sauce $1.30/$1.38/$1.38

fish sticks $3.48/$4.62/$4.48

frozen hash browns $2.96/$3.68/$3.68

dove deodorants $5.90/$6.88/$6.88

It looks like bread products have gone up a little (we don't purchase much of those anymore so I haven't noticed), but other things have stayed steady since Sept and a few have gone down a few cents.

Edited by historically accurate
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We have a WaPo subscription. The article states “excluding volatile energy and food prices”…and focuses on the decreasing cost of shipping containers which has led to an easing on the pricing of goods other than energy and food. 
Although the article does mention the earlier poultry crisis, and the easing of chicken prices as a result (which I have not seen locally), cheaper food wasn’t meant to be the focus.

Personally, the only thing I have seen cheaper is gasoline. It’s currently $3.50/gallon here.

• Like 1

Through December 10th, hurry over to Target where you can score Buy 2, Get 1 Free Kids Books both in-store and online!

This would be the perfect time to refresh their bookshelf with new favorites or consider donating a few books this Christmas!

Plus, Target RedCard holders can save an additional 5% AND get free shipping!

On 12/1/2022 at 10:29 PM, mommyoffive said:

I hope it is for you!

I filled up for $2.80!!!  

Wow, Today I just finally saw it for $2.99 it was at $3.09 all last weekend. Either way I'm really glad to see it coming down.  Not that we use a lot of gas since DH works from home and I don't ever go out anymore than I have to but every little bit helps no matter what budget category it is for.

• Like 1

On 12/3/2022 at 5:32 PM, historically accurate said:

I got out there and finished Christmas shopping today. Whew - all done. Came in right at budget. 

Great job!

I never like shopping and so Christmas always feels like a chore.  As the kids get older and I'm more stumped on what to get them, I've been turning to food items.  Pretty sure that's what we'll be doing again this year but I still have to figure out what items those will be.

• Like 2

Ended up running to the grocery store to pick up some veggies,  they were out of almost everything (I guess they hadn't restocked since Thanksgiving) so I ended up going twice.  But I refrained from any impulse buys and veggies on their own don't add up to quickly (these were all frozen, fresh stuff is just too expensive right now).

Continuing to grow spouts so we have some fresh veggie to put on sandwiches.  However since the house is cold it's taking 5-6 days to grow (as opposed to 3 in the summer).  I would love to have two jars growing however all but the one jar that my sprouting lids fit are full of pickles.  One DD loves pickles and we were overwhelmed this summer so I made her a ton of pickles but now she's "not in a pickle mood" and I want my jars back and she doesn't want to eat them.  

I also planted lettuce on Friday since the heads of lettuce have been so tiny and so expensive, I couldn't justifying buying them.  I was so excited to see that they have are starting to sprout! Package had said 7-10 days so I wasn't expecting to see them yet.

Car repairs ended up so much better than we expected.  It was a dead battery (why a nearly dead battery throws the error message about problems with emergency break is beyond me but the dealership confirmed yes those two go together)  Wish we had known that before we had it towed.  Would have much easier to just replace the battery ourselves if we had any inkling that was the issue. At least the towing was covered.

We also have some medical bills coming up that won't be covered by insurance so I'm kinda holding my breath hoping they won't be too bad.  

And I need to seriously start planning our trip for eldest DS wedding.  The worst is not only do I have to plan the driving trip for 5 of us, I also have to separately plan the flying itinerary for 3 other family members (trust me when I say, if I don't plan it, none of them will be there, because navigating flight reservations, transportation and hotels is simply beyond any of them).

• Like 1

14 hours ago, cjzimmer1 said:

Wow, Today I just finally saw it for $2.99 it was at $3.09 all last weekend. Either way I'm really glad to see it coming down.  Not that we use a lot of gas since DH works from home and I don't ever go out anymore than I have to but every little bit helps no matter what budget category it is for.

Unfortunately we drive TONS.  Saw 2.74 last night.  I will fill up today.  It is a huge savings for us.

Great job!

I never like shopping and so Christmas always feels like a chore.  As the kids get older and I'm more stumped on what to get them, I've been turning to food items.  Pretty sure that's what we'll be doing again this year but I still have to figure out what items those will be.

Me and you both.  Sure I can give them things they need, new clothes and shoes, or dance gear.  But other than that there are not tons of ideas for them.  I am turning to experiences.

Ended up running to the grocery store to pick up some veggies,  they were out of almost everything (I guess they hadn't restocked since Thanksgiving) so I ended up going twice.  But I refrained from any impulse buys and veggies on their own don't add up to quickly (these were all frozen, fresh stuff is just too expensive right now).

Continuing to grow spouts so we have some fresh veggie to put on sandwiches.  However since the house is cold it's taking 5-6 days to grow (as opposed to 3 in the summer).  I would love to have two jars growing however all but the one jar that my sprouting lids fit are full of pickles.  One DD loves pickles and we were overwhelmed this summer so I made her a ton of pickles but now she's "not in a pickle mood" and I want my jars back and she doesn't want to eat them.  

I also planted lettuce on Friday since the heads of lettuce have been so tiny and so expensive, I couldn't justifying buying them.  I was so excited to see that they have are starting to sprout! Package had said 7-10 days so I wasn't expecting to see them yet.

Car repairs ended up so much better than we expected.  It was a dead battery (why a nearly dead battery throws the error message about problems with emergency break is beyond me but the dealership confirmed yes those two go together)  Wish we had known that before we had it towed.  Would have much easier to just replace the battery ourselves if we had any inkling that was the issue. At least the towing was covered.

We also have some medical bills coming up that won't be covered by insurance so I'm kinda holding my breath hoping they won't be too bad.  

And I need to seriously start planning our trip for eldest DS wedding.  The worst is not only do I have to plan the driving trip for 5 of us, I also have to separately plan the flying itinerary for 3 other family members (trust me when I say, if I don't plan it, none of them will be there, because navigating flight reservations, transportation and hotels is simply beyond any of them).

Oh yeah your trip is coming soon right?  Super fun.

I am glad the car repairs were not so bad.  Annoying to find out it was just a battery.  I am glad the towing was covered.

• Like 1

Filled up gas last night

Lots of medical bills.  yay

Need to do a christmas return

Got a warranty claim accepted for a failed pair of winter boots.  I would rather have the $ back but they are giving it to me in a form of buying something else with them.   Got more than double of what I paid for the boots.  

Need to buy some makeup for Nutcracker.

Need to do some more christmas shopping.

Using some school funds.  Need to get the rest of the $$$$$ spent

Got some of the furniture that I ordered put together.   Hopefully dh can do the rest.

Getting rid of clutter.  Need to do more of that this weekend.

Edited by mommyoffive
  • Like 1