Menu

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ November 2022 Frugalistas ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

mommyoffive

Our no frills Halloween will be followed by our no frills Thanksgiving. 😂😉 No one is traveling (to here or us going there).

Turkeys are $2/lb here and we don’t particularly love turkey so we are debating about whether it’s worth $30-40 to have a turkey just for our family. Pumpkin pie is happening, my sweet potato and cranberry dish is happening, but the rest of the menu is solidly up for discussion. I think we will probably play board games all weekend, do some beach combing if the weather is nice, but otherwise just relax.

(I used to host a 50+ person gathering over multiple meals for Thanksgiving and I am both sad and relieved to no longer be doing that.)

• Like 2

DS14 and I are doing a 5k Turkey Trot on Thanksgiving, (walking, not running). 

I'm not hosting nor are we going anywhere. There's a whole bunch of ranting I could do about that, but instead, I will lean into the role of "Person who does not host or travel for holidays, and thus does not have to put up with any one else's b.s. or lumpy gravy". 

I'll probably grab a turkey breast the next time I'm at the store. I have a whole bird in the freezer, but I think I'll save that for Christmas. 

• Like 4

Middle DD & I will be going to the hospital 5 hours away the weekend after Thanksgiving, so we're not traveling to BIL's house. We'll probably host my brother here. No one is a huge fan of turkey, so pizza maybe? Or a ham? Depends on prices and wants. 

Halloween has brought us a slew of candy - I'll take the dregs in to work this morning to go in the clerk's candy dish. 

• Like 2

Halloween was amazing even with the rain. My parents were home this year so dh was able to walk with us instead of handing out candy. Kids got a ton of candy and we chatted with neighbors.

We are hosting my family and some friends for Thanksgiving the Sunday before. But that really just means being the landing place for it and cooking a few dishes. All my siblings bring food too. With dad home this year him and my brother with have to duke it out for who makes the turkey 🙂

Then on actual Thanksgiving we're probably at one of dh's aunt's or his mom's house. Not sure who's year it is. But no one lives far away.

I haven't gone over the November budget yet so don't really know what the goals are.

• Like 3

Hello. Happy birthday month to me. LOL

We don't do halloween. No news there. We are undecided for Thanksgiving. I wanted to go to my grandmother's, but it may be better to stay home this year. 

We are starting the new month with a trip to the Ped. One kid has very high fever. I am hoping to spend no extra money for the next 2 weeks on nonessentials. 

• Like 3

Went out to get our free Chick Fil A breakfast (they send a free breakfast item every Tuesday).  Made a stop at Walmart and Hy-vee to check out discounted candy.  Found 6 packs of full sized Hershey bars for $1.00.  You better believed I stocked up!

I'll be skipping grocery shopping this week.  My kids have a class Tuesday afternoons and normally I shop right after because it is within blocks of the grocery stores I like.  However oldest DD has to work at 4.  Normally DH takes her but I haven't got enough mulch moved yet for him to get the second vehicle out.  So I need to skip shopping so I'm home in time.  We have plenty of food on hand so I can certainly make do.  Since there is an extra Tuesday this month, it would have been a harder month to stay on my grocery budget so this is really a good thing in the scheme of it for us.

We are getting a half beef this month.  Have most of the cost saved but it will cut into the grocery budget a little bit too.  Gotta work on eating down the freezers a bit so there is room.  I might have to can some of what is in there to make room.  I hate the cold rainy fall days but I could actually use a few of them to get some canning and inside work done but when it's 70's out I have to give priority to the yard work cause these days won't last forever.

Thanksgiving will be at my mom's  I usually just have to provide some Kale salad from Costco and some home made bread.  Sometimes I bring a few appetizers if I feel like making something but that is totally optional.  Glad I don't have to plan for a big expense there.

• Like 3

November goals:

1. Try 10 new vegan recipes. This week’s focus has been on lentils.   Yesterday I made a new red lentil dal. Tomorrow I am making a lentil stew.

2. Put our electric bill savings from the solar panels into a new fund to help pay for a battery. It looks like it will take 10-15 years to get there. We just started rainy season and our generation numbers have dropped from 30kwh a day to 3. No kidding. We aren’t going to come close to meeting our power needs until late spring so I don’t plan to be adding to this fund again until then.

3. Stick to under $1500/month for groceries & household items. We had bumped up to $1800/month at one point and whittled it down to $1600 over the last couple of months when we stopped shopping at Walmart and cut back on meat to only two packages of it a week. I am going to try to shave another $100 off if I can. We’re down to almost 0 convenience food—spaghetti sauce and tortillas are about it. We’re just dealing with HCOL issues….when I look at ads for other places we have lived, food prices are a lot lower there.

4. Keep the thermostat at 66F during the day and 62F at night. We are feeling the cold after a summer of keeping the ac around 80F upstairs. It’s so tempting to bump the thermostat up.

5. Keep the hydroponic lettuce going. Lettuce has been hard to get, and cabbage isn’t always a great substitute. We have been learning how to grow stuff via hydroponics this year, and it’s a learning curve. I just finished the last of my succession winter garden plantings and now we are switching to growing lettuce from now until April.

——-

We met most of our October goals, including only filling the gas tank once in my vehicle, and not at all in dh’s.

• Like 2

Ok, I've finished fiddling with this month's budget.  It needed fiddling because I have two pet sitting jobs that'll bring in a few hundred bucks.  Goals for this...

- finish Christmas shopping and aim to come under budget

- lower grocery bill by keeping up with meal planning, stretching meals, and eating more vegetarian

- stay in budget

Keeping track of our money as aggressively as I have had to has been stressful.  But it seems like it'll only keep getting worse with the ever increasing prices of everything so I just have to stay committed.  

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Brittany1116 said:

Hello. Happy birthday month to me. LOL

We don't do halloween. No news there. We are undecided for Thanksgiving. I wanted to go to my grandmother's, but it may be better to stay home this year. 

We are starting the new month with a trip to the Ped. One kid has very high fever. I am hoping to spend no extra money for the next 2 weeks on nonessentials. 

Happy Birthday month!!! 

I hope your kid feels better soon.

3 hours ago, cjzimmer1 said:

Went out to get our free Chick Fil A breakfast (they send a free breakfast item every Tuesday).  Made a stop at Walmart and Hy-vee to check out discounted candy.  Found 6 packs of full sized Hershey bars for $1.00.  You better believed I stocked up!

I'll be skipping grocery shopping this week.  My kids have a class Tuesday afternoons and normally I shop right after because it is within blocks of the grocery stores I like.  However oldest DD has to work at 4.  Normally DH takes her but I haven't got enough mulch moved yet for him to get the second vehicle out.  So I need to skip shopping so I'm home in time.  We have plenty of food on hand so I can certainly make do.  Since there is an extra Tuesday this month, it would have been a harder month to stay on my grocery budget so this is really a good thing in the scheme of it for us.

We are getting a half beef this month.  Have most of the cost saved but it will cut into the grocery budget a little bit too.  Gotta work on eating down the freezers a bit so there is room.  I might have to can some of what is in there to make room.  I hate the cold rainy fall days but I could actually use a few of them to get some canning and inside work done but when it's 70's out I have to give priority to the yard work cause these days won't last forever.

Thanksgiving will be at my mom's  I usually just have to provide some Kale salad from Costco and some home made bread.  Sometimes I bring a few appetizers if I feel like making something but that is totally optional.  Glad I don't have to plan for a big expense there.

I talked myself out of going looking for discount Halloween stuff this morning.  I don't want decorations, we have free pumpkins, candy we will just eat, the only thing that might have been useful was seasonal food.

• Like 2

Ibotta FREE Thanksgiving Offers | New Users Score a Free Turkey, Corn Muffin Mix, & More (hip2save.com)

The Ibotta Thanksgiving freebie deals are BACK and we’re givin’ thanks! Through November 18th, while supplies last, Ibotta is offering 100% cash back on select Thanksgiving essentials for new Ibotta users! Not familiar with Ibotta? Check out our Ibotta post here!

Not a new user? You’ll need to complete the Turkey bonus by redeeming Ibotta offers to unlock your free turkey offer. Once you’ve unlocked the free turkey offer, you can complete more offers to unlock the sides bonus for more free offers!

Just now, prairiewindmomma said:

If you are near the Great Lakes region, it appears that one of your refineries was offline for a bit for maintenance.

Ahhh.  Thanks.  I hadn't heard that.   I am in the great lakes area so hopefully that is it and it goes back to normal soon.  I feel like just a  bit ago we had a spike in gas prices because of a fire/explosion at a refinery.

• Like 1

I think we've decided we're going to do rotisserie chicken for Thanksgiving...literally reheating some stuff from Costco. I can get two rotisserie chickens for $10, and it seems silly to spend $40 when no one particularly loves turkey. I'm hoping to finalize my menu this week and finish up my shopping. I really need to watch the sales because even thought we're a state that freaking grows cranberries, they are $4/bag right now, and hard to find. Potatoes at least are back in stock and reasonable.

• Like 1

We are having 2 thanksgivings this year.  Dh and DS are working on T-day, so youngest ds and I are making some of our favorite chinese food for lunch and watching the Macy's parade.

On Friday, we're doing our traditional meal with DS23's girlfriend.  We're just doing turkey breast, smoking it outside.  Thankfully the ingredients for the rest of the meal haven't gone up too much.  I may do a small ham as well, if needed, but I don't think it will be.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, prairiewindmomma said:

I think we've decided we're going to do rotisserie chicken for Thanksgiving...literally reheating some stuff from Costco. I can get two rotisserie chickens for $10, and it seems silly to spend $40 when no one particularly loves turkey. I'm hoping to finalize my menu this week and finish up my shopping. I really need to watch the sales because even thought we're a state that freaking grows cranberries, they are $4/bag right now, and hard to find. Potatoes at least are back in stock and reasonable.

My kids don't like Turkey either.  This is a good idea if we end up staying home.  Otherwise they love ham in the crockpot so I will do that.

I ended up getting a full turkey rather than a turkey breast. My store had a deal where you get up to a 12 lb turkey free if you buy a spiral ham. I bought the smallest spiral ham I could find and an 11.5 lb turkey. It came out to $1.25/lb for the turkey and ham, which was a better deal than just buying a turkey breast. 

I had coupons for free gravy and nearly free bread and hashbrowns. I think the bread ended up being 25 cents and the hashbrowns were 30 cents. 

No other great deals to be had, really. I decided against doing the Ibotta free T-day thing because I would have to complete 16 offers first and I could only come up with 6 that we would use. 

• Like 3

This is an expensive month for us. We're visiting friends in DC for Thanksgiving and getting passports for three kids. 

But, what I can do, I will do. I loved @prairiewindmomma's list of November goals. Here's mine.

1. Try six new bean dishes (just put Bean by Bean on hold at the library).

2. Bake more of our own bread instead of buying it at the store - at least twice a week. Try a bagel recipe without weird ingredients.

3. Keep the heat off until it is consistently below 50 F during the day. 

Emily

• Like 3

11 hours ago, MissLemon said:

I ended up getting a full turkey rather than a turkey breast. My store had a deal where you get up to a 12 lb turkey free if you buy a spiral ham. I bought the smallest spiral ham I could find and an 11.5 lb turkey. It came out to $1.25/lb for the turkey and ham, which was a better deal than just buying a turkey breast. 

I had coupons for free gravy and nearly free bread and hashbrowns. I think the bread ended up being 25 cents and the hashbrowns were 30 cents. 

No other great deals to be had, really. I decided against doing the Ibotta free T-day thing because I would have to complete 16 offers first and I could only come up with 6 that we would use. 

What store had that deal? 

Yeah Ibotta made it harder to get this year.

5 hours ago, EmilyGF said:

This is an expensive month for us. We're visiting friends in DC for Thanksgiving and getting passports for three kids. 

But, what I can do, I will do. I loved @prairiewindmomma's list of November goals. Here's mine.

1. Try six new bean dishes (just put Bean by Bean on hold at the library).

2. Bake more of our own bread instead of buying it at the store - at least twice a week. Try a bagel recipe without weird ingredients.

3. Keep the heat off until it is consistently below 50 F during the day. 

Emily

We have to renew passports here.  Where are you guys headed?

AMazing that you can keep your heat off until it is below 50.  Do you have another source of heat?

I bought a Brookstone electric lap blanket from Costco: https://www.costco.com/brookstone-heated-throw.product.100686921.html  They are cheaper in store than online, but still a decent deal either way.  It really seems to be helping with me staying warm enough to be functional while not hitting the electric bill much at all. 10 hours of use = 2 kWh, roughly, but I really only need to use it for 30 minutes a few times a day to get my body really warmed up again. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, mommyoffive said:

We have to renew passports here.  Where are you guys headed?

AMazing that you can keep your heat off until it is below 50.  Do you have another source of heat?

DH is taking DS10 with him to the Netherlands to visit friends in January, and DS17 plans to go to South America next summer. We'll renew the other two that are expired in case something else comes up. DS17 also applied to college out of the country, and it would be handy to have them in case that ends up happening.

We live in a duplex with a very long wall shared, so less heat escapes. The weather does tend to change pretty fast, though so it isn't as though we'll be staying super cold for weeks on end!

Emily

• Like 3

6 hours ago, prairiewindmomma said:

I bought a Brookstone electric lap blanket from Costco: https://www.costco.com/brookstone-heated-throw.product.100686921.html  They are cheaper in store than online, but still a decent deal either way.  It really seems to be helping with me staying warm enough to be functional while not hitting the electric bill much at all. 10 hours of use = 2 kWh, roughly, but I really only need to use it for 30 minutes a few times a day to get my body really warmed up again. 

I was thinking of this a few weeks back wondering if it was a way to keep people warm while adjusting to the lower temp I am keeping it at.

Through November 12th, Target invites all Military Personnel, Veterans, and their families to score a rare 10% off two-time use storewide discount coupon in honor of Veteran’s Day – valid both in-store and online!

also at target

Select Board Games, Video Games, Activity Sets & Puzzles – Buy 2, Get 1 Free

Starting November 6th, head over to Target where you will be able to shop their Buy 2, Get 1 Free sale on select board games, video games, and books both in-store and online – note that the item(s) of equal or lesser value will automatically be discounted at checkout!

from hip2save

Edited by mommyoffive

On 11/4/2022 at 3:59 PM, prairiewindmomma said:

That would be a great Christmas gift for my mom. Thanks for mentioning it!

• Like 1

I hit up Sam's Club and HEB this week. I have everything I need for Thanksgiving and Christmas dinner except for sweet potatoes. I have a couple of cans of sweet potatoes, but I prefer the casserole I make from scratch. I'm the only one that really likes sweet potato casserole, however, so I may opt for convenience and just heat up the canned stuff that I already have. 

We have plenty of meat in the freezer to last a few months.  

I made a pot of split pea and ham soup to freeze. Tomorrow, DS14 and I will make a big batch of pizza sauce to freeze. I also pre-made 3 cups of brown rice to stick in the freezer and got almost all the fruits and veggies cleaned and cut. I still have a bag of carrots I need to clean and chop, but I ran out of steam tonight. 

Raspberries were on sale for 97 cents for a 6 oz container, (normally $2.50). I bought 4 of them, a small spaghetti squash that was 50% off, and about 10 lbs of apples that were on sale for 97 cents a lb. 

I cleaned up the pantry and rounded up all the bits and snippets that need to be used up. 

• Like 2

2 kids needed new ballet flat shoes.  Girls needed specific tights for the upcoming shows.

Put in a grocery order.

Ugh, just looked at the upcoming weather.  Starting Saturday the highs are going to be in the 30s.  I hate it here so much.  I want to live in Fl.

Oh I ordered a new set of pots and pans.  I love them.  Got a bunch of old pots and pans to donate.

Edited by mommyoffive

8 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

Has anyone seen any deal for getting a Costco membership?

The only time I've seen them is a) when they open a new store and less often b) an occasional promotion only to those in the city it is located in.  

I live 10 minutes from one but it is technically in another city.  The store has been open 10 years (if I remember correctly).  I've seen twice in all that time where they offered a promotion to people who lived in that city.  It was not available to me (who lives in the much larger community that is basically on its doorstep).  The discount was minor in the scheme of it (I think maybe $20 off and only good for one year).  

I suppose it's possible other Costco's offer other promos but that is how the one closest to me handled it.  

When they opened the third store in my area (and the one that I would guess is closest to you).  I got several flyers in the mail about it opening and how to join but no promos.   Since they were telling me how to join, I'm guessing they didn't pull the info from their current membership list.  

• Like 1

Did some number crunching over the weekend and realized I didn't have as much set aside for the half beef we are getting this month as I thought.  If I add this month's grocery budget to it, it should come out close to what I expect the beef to be.  So in an effort to not go horribly over budget as well as reduce the amount of food in the freezers (so I have enough room for the beef), I'm going to do my best to have an almost no spend on groceries for the month of November.  I do have $92 in my grocery cash in my wallet so for the few things we absolutely can't live without, that will be my funding source. 

I made of list of 13 different meals that I have all the ingredients on hand to make (and that I have enough to cover multiple meals if that ingredient is used more than once).  Since I cook big meals, we typically get 2-3 meals out of anything I make.  There are a few things on the list I could probably make twice if necessary.  The big thing is I don't have a lot of veggies on hand (besides what I planned for the 13 meals) and with garden pretty well done for the year, I don't have much to supplement.  I will start sprouts a couple of times and that will give us some fresh veggies and I'll pick up a little at the store with my cash.  Hopefully I'll get lucky and get some from my Ruby's Pantry share.  They moved it up a week so it's only 3 weeks between this time so that will help.  

My sister offered me some swiss chard but I declined because I had no idea what to do with.  After doing numbers, I told her I changed my mind so I will have at least more veggies to experiment with.  Hopefully I can find something to make that my crew will eat.  

I have no idea if I can stick with that budget but I'm sure going to try (at least until I get a final number for the cost of the beef).  

Also I don't host Thanksgiving, my mom does and I just bring sides most of which I have ingredients for on hand.  I just realized I will probably have to grab a bag of Kale salad from Costco for this.  I do have Kale growing in my garden so maybe I will experiment before hand and see if I can come up with a close substitute (although I know I don't have any brussel sprouts).

• Like 3

1 hour ago, cjzimmer1 said:

Did some number crunching over the weekend and realized I didn't have as much set aside for the half beef we are getting this month as I thought.  If I add this month's grocery budget to it, it should come out close to what I expect the beef to be.  So in an effort to not go horribly over budget as well as reduce the amount of food in the freezers (so I have enough room for the beef), I'm going to do my best to have an almost no spend on groceries for the month of November.  I do have $92 in my grocery cash in my wallet so for the few things we absolutely can't live without, that will be my funding source. 

I made of list of 13 different meals that I have all the ingredients on hand to make (and that I have enough to cover multiple meals if that ingredient is used more than once).  Since I cook big meals, we typically get 2-3 meals out of anything I make.  There are a few things on the list I could probably make twice if necessary.  The big thing is I don't have a lot of veggies on hand (besides what I planned for the 13 meals) and with garden pretty well done for the year, I don't have much to supplement.  I will start sprouts a couple of times and that will give us some fresh veggies and I'll pick up a little at the store with my cash.  Hopefully I'll get lucky and get some from my Ruby's Pantry share.  They moved it up a week so it's only 3 weeks between this time so that will help.  

My sister offered me some swiss chard but I declined because I had no idea what to do with.  After doing numbers, I told her I changed my mind so I will have at least more veggies to experiment with.  Hopefully I can find something to make that my crew will eat.  

I have no idea if I can stick with that budget but I'm sure going to try (at least until I get a final number for the cost of the beef).  

Also I don't host Thanksgiving, my mom does and I just bring sides most of which I have ingredients for on hand.  I just realized I will probably have to grab a bag of Kale salad from Costco for this.  I do have Kale growing in my garden so maybe I will experiment before hand and see if I can come up with a close substitute (although I know I don't have any brussel sprouts).

Good luck!  I hope you can make it.  Sounds like you might be able to do it if your 13 meals get 2-3 meals out of each of them.  I think we usually end up getting really creative when we decide or have to push off a grocery trip.

2 hours ago, cjzimmer1 said:

This post worried me a little. Will y'all have enough for this month? I don't like the idea of anyone being hungry. If a grocery store gift card would help, I would be happy to send you one ❤️fyi, this is Miss Lemon. Somehow, I have 2 accounts? I don't even remember making the other one. I will have to contact the help desk to merge them. 

Edited by SoylentGreen
  • Like 3

24 minutes ago, SoylentGreen said:

This post worried me a little. Will y'all have enough for this month? I don't like the idea of anyone being hungry. If a grocery store gift card would help, I would be happy to send you one ❤️fyi, this is Miss Lemon. Somehow, I have 2 accounts? I don't even remember making the other one. I will have to contact the help desk to merge them. 

Thank you for the offer.  That is so very thoughtful!  But please don't worry we have more than enough to eat, just won't be exactly everyone's favorite.  I am a big believer in stock piling when things are on sale and I do tons of gardening and preserving.  I will have to do a bit more cooking from scratch instead of taking the easy way out and buying stuff (such as bread) but it's totally doable.  To put it in perspective, with the exception of fresh fruit and veggies and milk and eggs, I could go 6 months without grocery shopping but we get tired of frozen, canned and dehydrated food and prefer to eat fresh.  So for one month we will forego some of fresh choices (like lettuce that has gotten soooo expensive) and eat more of the preserved stuff.  Not a bad thing in the scheme of life because it's good to rotate through anyways.  The kids will just gripe because the fresh veggies I have on hand are not their most favorite but I can usually work them in so they don't object too loudly to things like the squash and eggplant.  

• Like 5

5 hours ago, mommyoffive said:

Thanks for this. So, I just plugged turkey into Walmart.com's grocery ordering app. This does appear to be true, but for only limited brands.

I can order a Butterball breast roast at the usual price of $4.57/lb. but the whole turkeys have dropped in price (from an average of $34.86 to now $24.49 for a 16-24 lb. bird). Jennie-O turkeys dropped for $40.14 on average to $20.92.

We might rethink our turkey plans.....if we can actually get a turkey. Last year our stores had a limited number at the sale price, and once they were gone, they were gone.

I tried to place a Walmart order last week and it got delayed, then partially canceled, and it was a PITA. I think I might try for a turkey this week and see what happens.

• Like 1