Menu

October Healthy Eating

Selkie

I'm thinking on a goal for this month...will probably post on that tomorrow.

Saturday - 

Breakfast - Mixed microgreens and watercress. Muesli with black ayocote beans, banana, apple, Asian pear, kiwi, dragon fruit, pomegranate, blueberries, cantaloupe, pineapple, mulberries, goji berries, goldenberries, walnuts, pistachios, flax, chia, hemp, sunflower & pumpkin seeds, walnut milk.

Lunch - Greens (lettuces, kale, chard). Whole grain pita with cashew mayo, mustard, roasted beets & cauliflower, red onions, tomato.

Dinner - Leftover bean/whole grain/veggie soup, topped with a bit of cashew sour cream and salsa verde. An artichoke.

• Like 3

I didn’t post in September, and I didn’t lose any weight;) so maybe I’ll try again in October and see if I can’t lose a few pounds. 

Saturday- breakfast - handful dry roasted cashews

lunch- smoothie with mixed berries, flaxseed, chia seeds and lime juice. Bacon, manchego

dinner- turkey, cheddar, potato chips 

I’m still trying to eat 35-40 different plant products a week. When I concentrate on that and getting enough protein it’s a good mix for me personally. Today wasn’t a great veggie day unfortunately. 

• Like 3

It's been a few months since I set a goal because everything has been going so well. For October, I do have one adjustment in mind - I am going to bump up my daily intake of fresh greens a bit. Breakfast is the best time for me to do this, since lunch already includes a big mixing bowl of greens, and dinner is my lightest meal of the day.

Sunday -

Breakfast - Mixed microgreens, watercress, and kale (approximately two cups more than my previous amount). Muesli with soybeans, guava, dragon fruit, blueberries, cantaloupe, pineapple, pomegranate, mango, banana, kiwi, apple, pear, figs, mulberries, goji berries, goldenberries, walnuts, flax, chia, hemp, sunflower & pumpkin seeds, walnut milk.

Lunch - Greens (lettuces, spinach, frisée, radicchio). Whole grain pita with cucumbers, tomatoes, red onion, cashew mayo, mustard, shredded Brussels sprouts. A few Brazil nuts.

Dinner - Same as last night - a bowl of leftover bean/whole grain/veggie soup and an artichoke. 

• Like 2

Sunday-

I am giving up on being dairy free when I eat out  I know it’s possible but by the time I go through the gluten free gauntlet I just don’t want to narrow my choices even further  

37 rainbow   🌈 

breakfast- keto blueberry cinnamon nut granola, coconut yogurt

lunch- cup of garden vegetable soup (Beans, carrots, celery, corn, mushrooms, onions, peppers, potatoes and zucchini in a light tomato broth),  All-natural grilled chicken breast, crumbled blue cheese, grapes, apples, dried cranberries and candied walnuts, served on a bed of mixed greens.  Salt and vinegar chips 

snack-,  Chocolate squares 

dinner scrambled eggs with mushrooms and onions and mixed greens, 1/2 flaxseed muffin, chocolate squares 

hard boiled eggs 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Selkie said:

It's been a few months since I set a goal because everything has been going so well. For October, I do have one adjustment in mind - I am going to bump up my daily intake of fresh greens a bit. Breakfast is the best time for me to do this, since lunch already includes a big mixing bowl of greens, and dinner is my lightest meal of the day.

Sunday -

Breakfast - Mixed microgreens, watercress, and kale (approximately two cups more than my previous amount). Muesli with soybeans, guava, dragon fruit, blueberries, cantaloupe, pineapple, pomegranate, mango, banana, kiwi, apple, pear, figs, mulberries, goji berries, goldenberries, walnuts, flax, chia, hemp, sunflower & pumpkin seeds, walnut milk.

Lunch - Greens (lettuces, spinach, frisée, radicchio). Whole grain pita with cucumbers, tomatoes, red onion, cashew mayo, mustard, shredded Brussels sprouts. A few Brazil nuts.

Dinner - Same as last night - a bowl of leftover bean/whole grain/veggie soup and an artichoke. 

I am super curious about all the fruits! Do you make a fruit salad? Smoothie? Also curious about the muesli with soybeans. How are the soybeans - raw, cooked, hot or cold? I have never had soybeans with muesli so trying to picture how it would look and taste. I know from other posts that we eat in a similar manner. I have some serious chronic health issues and am trying to eat as many colorful plants as possible. I love the idea of eating greens with breakfast. I need to incorporate that. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, GoVanGogh said:

I am super curious about all the fruits! Do you make a fruit salad? Smoothie? Also curious about the muesli with soybeans. How are the soybeans - raw, cooked, hot or cold? I have never had soybeans with muesli so trying to picture how it would look and taste. I know from other posts that we eat in a similar manner. I have some serious chronic health issues and am trying to eat as many colorful plants as possible. I love the idea of eating greens with breakfast. I need to incorporate that. 

Here’s a pic of my breakfast this morning, with my greens and my breakfast bowl. 

I don’t usually measure food, but I paid attention this morning so I could describe what is in it. It sounds kind of complicated when I list it all out, but it literally takes 5 minutes or less to toss this all in a bowl.

So today’s bowl included 1/8 cup each of apple, Asian pear, pineapple, cantaloupe, and dragonfruit - plus half a kiwi, half a small guava, half a small banana, 1 fresh fig, 3 cherries, 1/4 cup pomegranate arils, 1/2 cup blueberries, 1/3 cup muesli, 1/3 cup black ayocote beans, 1/4 cup walnuts, 1 T seed mix (chia, hemp, sunflower, pumpkin), 1 T flax seed, a sprinkle of spices (cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, cloves), and about a cup of walnut milk.

For greens, I had about 4 cups of mixed microgreens and watercress. 

This greens/bowl combo has become my go-to morning meal because it is a fairly large volume of food with high nutrients, low calorie density, and a lot of plant diversity. I switch up the fruits and beans according to what I have on hand.

The beans for breakfast idea came from Dr. Greger, who recommends beans at every meal. He eats beans in his oatmeal, so I started putting cannellini beans in my breakfast bowl. Then I became more of a bean aficionado over time, so now I use a wide variety. I probably have 30+ buckets and jars of different types of beans and legumes in my pantry. I cook dry beans and then freeze them, and toss them into my breakfast bowl while frozen. I eat soybeans very often because of the health benefits of soy - I shoot for 2-3 servings of soy a day, either soybeans or edamame or tofu, and occasionally tempeh (although I am not a huge fan of tempeh).

6C7FBBBB-A751-4D87-8126-233F03551CEB.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

That looks and sounds fantastic, Selkie. Thank you for the photograph and additional information. It doesn’t sound too complicated, but we eat a ton of fresh fruits and veggies and once one gets proficient at washing and chopping, it really isn’t bad. I have never had beans in breakfast cereal so sounds a bit odd but intriguing. We do eat a lot of beans and I add them to almost everything, except breakfast cereal. Very inspirational. Thank you! 

• Like 2

Monday-

38 rainbow   🌈 

breakfast- keto blueberry cinnamon nut granola, coconut yogurt, bone broth

lunch- scrambled eggs with mushrooms, onions and mixed greens, 1/2 flaxseed muffin, chocolate with raspberries

snack-, mixed fruit cup (peaches, pears and pineapple)

dinner - SW skillet - ground beef, tomatoes, onions, cilantro, chili's, corn, red bell peppers, black beans, gf spinach wrap, vegan chao Mexican blend

hard boiled eggs 

• Like 2

Monday - 

Breakfast - Posted above.

Lunch - Greens (kale, chard, spinach, lettuce, radicchio). Whole grain pita with cashew mayo, mustard, roasted eggplant and mushrooms, tomato, scallions, tofu, shredded Brussels sprouts.

Dinner - I’m trying to make more room in the freezer, so I got out some frozen chickpea mushroom shawarma soup and thawed that for dinner. Also had quinoa flatbreads topped with cashew cream cheese, a drizzle of balsamic vinegar, and broccoli and kale microgreens. Orange slices for dessert.

• Like 2

Sunday 

smoothie with mixed berries, flaxseed and chia seeds, cheese, turkey 

dinner- veggie tray, cheese, salad with fresh herb dressing, lasagna soup, dark chocolate. 

Monday- cashews, walnuts, apple slices with peanut butter, bacon 

lunch- same smoothie as above, chicken, manchego 

dinner- half granola bar and some cashews 

• Like 3

Tuesday - 

Breakfast - Mixed microgreens and watercress. Muesli with soybeans, Dominican beans, guava, kiwi, mango, pomegranate, passion fruit, dragon fruit, apple, Asian pear, banana, cantaloupe, mulberries, goji berries, goldenberries, walnuts, pistachios, flax, chia, hemp, sunflower & pumpkin seeds, walnut milk.

Lunch - Greens (lettuces, kale, frisée). Whole grain pita with roasted eggplant & mushrooms, cucumber, tomato, scallions, avocado, cashew mayo, mustard.

Dinner - Five bean chili from the freezer and quinoa flatbreads with cashew cream cheese, balsamic vinegar, and broccoli sprouts.

• Like 2

Tuesday

Breakfast—an apple and a little snack baggie of nuts/dried fruit (grabbed on my way out to PT)

Lunch— chicken sandwich on a gf bun, fried potatoes, small cup of spicy chicken gumbo

Snack—dark chocolate/coconut blobs

Dinner—salad with tons of veg, also mixed veg strips, gf battered baked chicken, later some rice noodles in a spicy broth (was craving the broth)

• Like 2

Tuesday-

39 rainbow    🌈 

lunch- scrambled eggs with mushrooms, onions and mixed greens, 1/2 flaxseed muffin, chocolate with raspberries

dinner - Rotisserie chicken, broccoli salad, potato salad 

hard boiled eggs 

• Like 2

Wednesday - 

Breakfast - Mixed microgreens and watercress. Muesli with scarlet runner beans, kiwi, banana, guava, pineapple, mango, pomegranate, blueberries, apple, Asian pear, mulberries, goji berries, goldenberries, walnuts, flax, chia, hemp, sunflower & pumpkin seeds, walnut milk.

Lunch - Greens (lettuces, kale, frisée). Whole grain pita with cashew mayo, mustard, roasted eggplant, edamame, cucumber, tomato, shredded Brussels sprouts, scallions.

Dinner - Butternut and mushroom ravioli with marinara and steamed veggies (broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, snap peas, mushrooms, edamame, collards, artichoke hearts).

• Like 2

Wednesday-

40 rainbow     🌈 

dinner - SW skillet - ground beef, tomatoes, onions, cilantro, chili's, corn, red bell peppers, black beans, gf spinach wrap, vegan chao Mexican blend

hard boiled eggs 

• Like 2

I haven’t been tracking very well, but the last two days have been some combination of a smoothie with mixed berries, greens, flaxseed, chia seeds and lime juice. Greek salads with peppers, onions, tomatoes, cucumbers, pumpkin seeds, feta, red wine vinaigrette. And chipotle burrito bowls without rice but everything else. 

We’ve been playing pickleball in the evening which messes up my dinner time, so I’ve been eating breakfast and lunch, and then cheese, crackers and nuts when I get home because I’m so hungry. 

• Like 4

Thursday - 

Breakfast - I had two WellBean bars early this morning on the way to an appointment. Later I had mixed greens and microgreens, plus muesli with scarlet runner beans, banana, kiwi, guava, cherries, pomegranate, apple, Asian pear, blueberries, walnuts, flax, chia, hemp, sunflower & pumpkin seeds, walnut milk.

Lunch - Mixed greens. Whole grain pita with roasted eggplant, tofu, tomato, shredded Brussels sprouts, scallions, cashew mayo, mustard.

Dinner - Leftover butternut and mushroom ravioli with marinara. Quinoa flatbreads with cashew cream cheese and balsamic vinegar.

• Like 2

Thursday -

41 rainbow      🌈 

dinner - Filipino pork adobo, green beans, brown rice 

hard boiled eggs 

• Like 2

Thursday

Breakfast--oatmeal with berries and walnuts and almond milk and a splash of maple syrup, also decaf green tea (NS)

Lunch--Whipped up a stirfry of quinoa, chicken, broccoli, onion, ginger, garlic. Also had some blueberries.

Dinner--Some more of the spicy chicken soup with avocado and a sprinkle of tortilla chips. Delicious. 

No chocolate today. Astounding. 

• Like 2

@Selkieyour breakfast pic looks good. I, too, had been wondering about your breakfast bowl, so I’m glad you posted it. 

You’re putting small amounts of lots of things, so what is your method of freezing the beans and using them in small amounts? ( I need to come up with a low fodmap version of this). Do you just cut up lots of different fruits for the week to pull out and use each day? 

Also, just a note, I’ve discovered macadamia nut milk makes a super creamy nut milk. They are pricey, though. I use 1/4 cup macadamia nuts in one cup of water in Blendtec. I made tomato soup last night with it. One glass jar of Bionature tomato purée, one cup macadamia nut milk, water, Fody veg soup base (spice mix), fresh basil. It was good, but I perhaps used a bit too much basil.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Indigo Blue said:

@Selkieyour breakfast pic looks good. I, too, had been wondering about your breakfast bowl, so I’m glad you posted it. 

You’re putting small amounts of lots of things, so what is your method of freezing the beans and using them in small amounts? ( I need to come up with a low fodmap version of this). Do you just cut up lots of different fruits for the week to pull out and use each day? 

Also, just a note, I’ve discovered macadamia nut milk makes a super creamy nut milk. They are pricey, though. I use 1/4 cup macadamia nuts in one cup of water in Blendtec. I made tomato soup last night with it. One glass jar of Bionature tomato purée, one cup macadamia nut milk, water, Fody veg soup base (spice mix), fresh basil. It was good, but I perhaps used a bit too much basil.

My method for freezing beans isn't very fancy - I just plop them in a ziploc bag and stick them in the freezer, and then grab whatever amount I need. It works pretty well. Sometimes the beans freeze together, but I just whack the bag on the counter to separate them.

I cut the sturdier fruits up ahead of time, like pineapple and cantaloupe. The more fragile fruits like banana get cut up just beforehand. I use a lot of frozen fruits, too - my big deep freeze is completely stuffed with all different kinds of frozen fruits and veggies (plus a few pizzas for when my kids come home, lol).

Macademia nut milk sounds so good! I'll have to try that. I use macadamias sometimes to make banana nice cream, yum. I use walnut milk most often because of the omega 3's.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Friday - 

Breakfast - Mixed greens and microgreens. Muesli with Dominican beans, banana, apple, pear, kiwi, cherries, blueberries, pineapple, pomegranate, mulberries, goji berries, goldenberries, walnuts, flax, chia, hemp, sunflower & pumpkin seeds, walnut milk.

Lunch - Dh and I went to an event that one of our college kids is participating in, and were on the road for several hours. I packed lunch for us so we could avoid restaurant or gas station food. We had whole grain wraps with Actual Veggies purple burgers (beet/carrot/red onion) with cashew mayo, mustard, scallions, and pickles. I also brought a big ziploc of roasted broccoli and another of apple and pear slices. It was a perfect lunch to eat in the car.

Dinner - A big pile of mixed greens with chickpea salad (from our WFPB meal prep service) and sliced fresh tomatoes. Two oat/raisin “Not-A-Cookies” for dessert.

• Like 3

Friday  -

42 rainbow      🌈 

dinner - blueberries, strawberries, cantaloupe; avocado on gf toast, over medium egg, provolone, tomato 

hard boiled eggs 

• Like 2

@Selkie I am admiring your forethought and diligence in packing road food. I never do and I always wish that I had. Good for you.

Friday

Breakfast--low-sugar granola with almond milk, tea (NS)

Lunch--more spicy chicken gumbo with a sprinkle of tortilla chips for crunch

Dinner--gf fish sticks with homemade tartar sauce (yummy and no added sugars), salad of marinated mushrooms + onions + peppers, peach sprinkled with cinnamon and some unsweetened dried coconut (divine!)

Snack--kiwi in the afternoon along with a cup of decaf coffee with a dash of maple syrup and almond milk; also some popcorn and orange juice in the evening

• Like 2

I found a recipe for oat “cookies” using only oat flour, mashed banana, and nuts/fruit. It’s basically baked oatmeal, but there’s no oil or sugar added in. They are very easy, portable, freezable, and delicious. 

For anyone interested:

You just mash two fresh bananas into a sort of purée and add one cup of oat flour. (I make mine in Blendtec). Add in up to 1/4 cup of add ins such as nuts or fruit. Mix thoroughly to form sticky dough. Place by large spoonful (I use 1/4 cup measure) onto wax paper lined baking sheet. Flatten and shape into round “cookies”. Bake @350 for 15 minutes. I top mine with oat flour and extra nuts/blueberries, and I always double the recipe. It makes 7-8 large cookies. I freeze some for later and put a few in the fridge. They are best warm, but you can take them out with you and eat them room temperature. I like these because of the portability and that they have no added sugar. 

Edited by Indigo Blue
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Indigo Blue said:

@SelkieWhat is a Not-A-Cookie?

ETA: While you’re here, would you mind telling me how to make banana nice cream? 😁

The Not-A-Cookies are from a WFPB meal prep service that we order from every few weeks. Ingredients are oats, dates, chickpea flour, walnuts, grapes, almond meal, vinegar, sunflower seeds, vanilla extract, cacao, spices, baking soda, baking powder.

Your banana/oat cookies sound so good! Thanks for sharing the recipe.

These are my two favorite nice cream recipes, both from Dr. Fuhrman’s site. I make it in my Vitamix, but a food processor does the job, too.

Vanilla nice cream: 1/4 cup macadamias + 2 frozen bananas + 1/3 cup plant milk + 1 tsp vanilla

Chocolate hazelnut: 1/3 cup hazelnuts + 2 frozen bananas + 2 T unsweetened, non-alkalized cocoa powder + 1/3 cup plant milk + 2 medjool or 4 regular dates, pitted

You can use whatever kind of nuts you want In either recipe. I sometimes sub walnuts for macadamias in the first one.

I like to sprinkle cacao nibs on the vanilla nice cream, and unsweetened shredded coconut on the chocolate hazelnut.

Edited by Selkie
Forgot the cocoa powder!
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Saturday - 

Breakfast - Mixed greens and microgreens. Muesli with black ayocote beans, kiwi, banana, apple, pear, cherries, pomegranate, dragon fruit, passion fruit, blueberries, mulberries, goji berries, goldenberries, walnuts, flax, chia, hemp, sunflower & pumpkin seeds, walnut milk.

Lunch - Mixed greens. Whole grain pita with roasted eggplant, mushrooms, edamame, scallions, tomato, shredded Brussels sprouts, radishes, cashew mayo, mustard.

Dinner - An artichoke with Greek vinaigrette. Whole grain bread with roasted garlic, onions, artichoke hearts, and red peppers.

• Like 2

Saturday -

43 rainbow      🌈 

dinner -  SW skillet - ground beef, tomatoes, onions, cilantro, chili's, corn, red bell peppers, black beans, gf spinach wrap, vegan chao Mexican blend, brown rice 

hard boiled eggs 

• Like 2

On 10/3/2022 at 2:50 PM, GoVanGogh said:

That looks and sounds fantastic, Selkie. Thank you for the photograph and additional information. It doesn’t sound too complicated, but we eat a ton of fresh fruits and veggies and once one gets proficient at washing and chopping, it really isn’t bad. I have never had beans in breakfast cereal so sounds a bit odd but intriguing. We do eat a lot of beans and I add them to almost everything, except breakfast cereal. Very inspirational. Thank you! 

@GoVanGoghI thought of you when I saw Dr. Greger’s video earlier this week about low protein diets for Parkinson’s. Thought I would put the link here in case you are interested and haven’t seen it.🙂

https://nutritionfacts.org/video/low-protein-diets-for-parkinsons-disease/?fbclid=IwAR1_QVaCYgglg8kqkxRvofwBaKEnkmmNGHx7ndsKwp3FvBTxUb06yfazshI

• Like 1

Sunday - 

Breakfast - Mixed greens and microgreens. Muesli with black ayocote beans, kiwi, apple, Asian pear, dragon fruit, passion fruit, cherries, blueberries, pomegranate, mulberries, goji berries, goldenberries, walnuts, flax, chia, hemp, sunflower & pumpkin seeds, walnut milk.

Lunch - Mixed greens. A leftover veggie burger wrap from our car trip a couple days ago. A lemon G-BOMBS bar.

Dinner - Tacos (corn tortillas, brown rice, chickpeas, lentils, cauliflower, mushrooms, guacamole, cashew sour cream, scallions, jalapeños, shredded red cabbage, cilantro microgreens, salsa).

• Like 2

Sunday  -

44 rainbow    🌈 

lunch- scrambled eggs with mushrooms, pico de gallo, onions and mixed greens, 1/2 flaxseed muffin, chocolate with raspberries

dinner -  SW skillet - ground beef, tomatoes, onions, cilantro, chili's, corn, red bell peppers, black beans, gf spinach wrap, vegan chao Mexican blend, brown rice 

hard boiled eggs 

• Like 2

Monday - 

Breakfast - Mixed greens and microgreens. Muesli with black ayocote beans, kiwi, apple, Asian pear, dragon fruit, passion fruit, blueberries, pineapple, strawberries, pomegranate, mulberries, goji berries, goldenberries, walnuts, pistachios, flax, chia, hemp, sunflower & pumpkin seeds, walnut milk.

Lunch - Mixed greens. Whole grain pita with edamame, shredded Brussels sprouts, tomato, cucumber, scallions, radishes, cashew mayo, mustard. A G-BOMBS bar.

Dinner - Leftover tacos from last night.

• Like 2

Monday -

45 rainbow    🌈 

lunch- scrambled eggs with mushrooms, pico de gallo, onions and mixed greens, 1/2 flaxseed muffin, chocolate with raspberries

snack- mixed fruit cup with peach. pears, cherries and pineapple 

dinner -  Chicken skillet with spinach, other greens, sun-dried tomatoes 

hard boiled eggs 

• Like 2

On 10/9/2022 at 11:09 AM, Selkie said:

@GoVanGoghI thought of you when I saw Dr. Greger’s video earlier this week about low protein diets for Parkinson’s. Thought I would put the link here in case you are interested and haven’t seen it.🙂

https://nutritionfacts.org/video/low-protein-diets-for-parkinsons-disease/?fbclid=IwAR1_QVaCYgglg8kqkxRvofwBaKEnkmmNGHx7ndsKwp3FvBTxUb06yfazshI

Thank you so much for thinking of me. I greatly appreciate it. 
Do you mind me asking what general area of the world you live in? I am so impressed with your variety of fruits and vegetables. I am in SW United States and, thankfully, have good access to fresh produce. I started shopping at a farmer’s market after my diagnosis, at first because my sense of smell went into hyperdrive as part of the Parkinson’s (I am losing my sense of smell, some things I can’t smell at all while other smells gag me instantly). But now I shop there to get the freshest, widest variety of produce. I am also growing some my own food, such as goji berries. 

I started consuming at least one green smoothie a day last week. This morning’s contained frozen peaches and pineapple, kale from the farmer’s market, ginger and coconut water. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, GoVanGogh said:

Thank you so much for thinking of me. I greatly appreciate it. 
Do you mind me asking what general area of the world you live in? I am so impressed with your variety of fruits and vegetables. I am in SW United States and, thankfully, have good access to fresh produce. I started shopping at a farmer’s market after my diagnosis, at first because my sense of smell went into hyperdrive as part of the Parkinson’s (I am losing my sense of smell, some things I can’t smell at all while other smells gag me instantly). But now I shop there to get the freshest, widest variety of produce. I am also growing some my own food, such as goji berries. 

I started consuming at least one green smoothie a day last week. This morning’s contained frozen peaches and pineapple, kale from the farmer’s market, ginger and coconut water. 

Your smoothie sounds delicious. I am so impressed that you are growing goji berries - that is cool! The only things I grow are microgreens (I have about 20 trays of them growing at any given time), sprouts, kale, lettuce, and herbs.

I live way out in the country in a rural part of the midwest, and there are no good grocery stores nearby. The closest one is twenty minutes away and is pretty mediocre, with a produce section that is hit or miss. I mostly just get the basics there, like apples and bananas. There are a couple farmer's markets here during the summer, but they focus more on selling meat and baked goods than produce.

So I've found that the best way to get the quality and quantity of produce that we need is to order from Misfits Market. We get two orders a week, four big boxes total. They have a good variety of organic produce that is reasonably priced, and a few other things that we like, like our favorite Hodo tofu. I also order from Chef's Garden every few weeks (which is pricey, but fits in our food budget since we don't eat at restaurants anymore, except once in a blue moon).

I also use a lot of frozen fruits and veggies. Many of my breakfast fruits are frozen, like dragon fruit, passion fruit, cherries, pomegranate arils.

We order a lot of our other staples online, too - like beans & legumes from Palouse and Rancho Gordo, and raw nuts and seeds and dried fruit from Nuts.com.

Selkie, I am super impressed at you growing that many microgreens! I love growing them and am hoping to get a larger setup. We have a spot that would be perfect for a large shelving unit for microgreens, I just haven’t taken that step yet. Soon. Right now I grow them on our otherwise unused kitchen table. LOL 
Currently I am growing two red goji berries in the garden. I have some seedlings of black goji but they are a long way from ever producing. I have five types of pomegranate, 8 types of fig trees, 2 types of persimmon and some assorted other fruiting trees and shrubs, as well as blackberries and raspberries. I am trying to garden myself healthy or slow the progression. 
I feel your pain on rural Midwest. DH and I are from the rural Midwest and it is so hard to find fresh, healthy foods when we visit. The next time we go, I will likely take most of my food. I should look into Misfits Market. I see their truck around here.
We are very fortunate to have a few really good grocery stores that stock a lot of organic items, plus year round farmer’s markets. A few of the vendors that I favor practice regenerative agriculture. 

• Like 2

Tuesday

Breakfast--banana, half grapefruit, low-sugar granola with almond milk, tea (NS)

Lunch--stirfry of potato, onion, yellow pepper, parsley, olive oil.

Snack--grapes, dark chocolate, tea (S)

Dinner--Guacamole with corn tortillas, also curried chicken salad (chicken, mayo, almonds, onions, raisins, curry powder) with whole-grain gf crackers

• Like 2

Tuesday

46 rainbow 🌈 

snack- mixed fruit cup with peach. pears, cherries and pineapple , gf mixed grain toast with ground peanut chocolate chips mixture 

dinner - Filipino pork adobo, green beans, gf pasta made from lentils and chickpeas 

hard boiled eggs 

• Like 2

@GoVanGogh, your garden sounds amazing. I would love to walk out my door and pick figs and pomegranates, but that's just a dream here in chilly Zone 4!

Tuesday - 

Breakfast - Mixed greens and microgreens. Muesli with Dominican beans, blueberries, cherries, apple, pear, dragon fruit, kiwi, passion fruit, pomegranate, mango, mulberries, goji berries, goldenberries, walnuts, flax, chia, hemp, sunflower & pumpkin seeds, walnut milk.

Lunch - Mixed greens with quinoa, chickpeas, black beans, edamame, sweet potato, red bell pepper, pumpkin seeds, scallions, WFPB 1000 Island.

Dinner - It was clean out the fridge night, and I made tofu scrambles with lots of odds and ends. Tofu, broccoli, cauliflower, mushrooms, edamame, red onion, bell peppers, garlic, Swiss chard, spices. I had mine on a corn tortilla with avocado, jalapeños, shredded red cabbage, and salsa.

Dessert - Vanilla macadamia nice cream with cacao and coconut sprinkles.

• Like 2