Menu

What is your favorite geography workbook series?

Melissa B

In looking through the geography section of Rainbow Resource I see several different sets of geography workbooks. I am looking for workbooks in the grade 1-5 area.

So, what has been your favorite geography workbook set? (And the workbooks do not have to be available through Rainbow Resource.)

I like these workbooks from Evan-Moor. They are more formulaic than something like Trail Guide to World Geography, but that works for us.

We are using a combination of Trail Guide and the Evan-Moor books this year. We also are using DK Geography of the World as our reference book.

The Evan Moor books work better for us as my ds gets distracted if we have to look for information from too many sources. The trail guide asks more open ended questions that require more research.

We are doing two Evan Moor books this year, North America & Europe. the other continents we are using the Trail Guide. Even if you bought only one of those books you could get a good idea of how they function and create your own study from them.

HTH, I'm still waking up, the coffee hasn't quite kicked in yet. :D

In looking through the geography section of Rainbow Resource I see several different sets of geography workbooks. I am looking for workbooks in the grade 1-5 area.

So, what has been your favorite geography workbook set? (And the workbooks do not have to be available through Rainbow Resource.)

Looking through the geography section of Rainbow Resource left me thoroughly confused. I bought three O.K. books, but I'm still searching.

Many of them teach basic concepts and then go on to teach US geography. I really wanted more World Geography right now, so your needs may differ, depending on what you're studying.

Map SKills For Today -Very popular series. Interesting, concise book. I needed more World Geo.

http://www.rainbowresource.com/search.php?sid=1229402244-1145203

Rand McNally's Geography & Map Activities- Covers more World Geo. The illustrations were so clear and the activities are good. Definately has the nicest maps of the three I have (but then again it's Rand McNally). It misses A LOT of concepts, and only has one or two very short exercises per topic. I've supplemented, but if it were fleshed out more I would like this best. I see now that there are two levels. I may try the Intermediate book.

http://www.rainbowresource.com/product/Schoolhouse+Beginner+Geography+and+Map+Activities/007967/1229402244-1145203

The Complete Book of Maps & Geography- Thick book. Cheap. Covers most everything. It is the opposite of the Rand McNally and has several pages and TONS of questions in each topic. Some pages have 11-15 questions each of the same exercise. If a person had several kids, they could probably all use the book together and each get a sheet or two for each topic. Though it's mostly short answer questions, there are some cut and paste and coloring exercises.

http://www.rainbowresource.com/product/Complete+Book+of+Maps+%26amp%3B+Geography/008117/1229402244-1145203

O.K. so what's next for confused me?

Modern Curriculum Press Maps, Charts, & GLobes is VERY well recommended and RR says it's more complete than Map Skills For Today.

http://www.rainbowresource.com/prodlist.php?sid=1229402244-1145203&subject=14&category=4711

I have heard that Scholastic's Map Skills is excellent, though not in color if that makes any difference.

http://www.rainbowresource.com/prodlist.php?sid=1229402244-1145203&subject=14&category=4715

Have I added enough to your indecision? :confused: There are just too many choices, it would be nice to flip through them in person.

Edited by Blessedfamily

gr. 1-5 = we liked the Map Skills for Today series

gr. 3-5 = we liked the Complete Book of Maps and Geography

gr. 6-8 = we liked the MCP Maps, Charts and Graphs series

gr. 7-9 = we liked the National Geographic Discovering World Geography series

We usually have done 2 shorter workbooks (example: Map Skills for gr. 4 and gr. 5) in one year (one per semester). Or, we'll work on parts of the longer Complete Book of Maps & Geography along with one shorter workbook. We use workbooks from various series for several reasons:

- each series emphasizes slightly different skills

- each required different amounts/types of writing/analysis

- to match up the workbook country emphasis with whatever other history/geography we're doing

Really, I don't think you'll go wrong with whatever you pick. Both Rainbow Resource and Christian Book.com show sample pages of the various workbooks, in case that helps you decide. : )

BEST of luck! Warmly, Lori D.

the Scholastic series someone linked to above http://www.rainbowresource.com/prodlist.php?sid=1229402244-1145203&subject=14&category=4715

looks really good. Has anyone used those?

Capt_Uhura

That's what we use (in our third year now), and I really really like them.

Even though it lists Scholastic at the Rainbow site, though, I don't think they're from them - the publisher is now School Specialty Publishing - does Scholastic own them? They used to be published by Instructional Fair, but I've noticed this series and another by them are now published by SSP, so I'm thinking they got bought?

Anyway, I think they are very good. They use a lot of real maps, and in the 5th and 6th grade they use US and World historical maps. They are black-and-white, but that's a plus for me. I copy the pages and dole out one a week (the book gives copying permission for the class of the teacher who purchased).

If you do a page a week you'll get through them at about the right pace - 2 years for the first, longer book (grades 3-4), and one each for the 5th and 6th grade books.