Menu

Experienced financial aid gurus…

BlsdMama

I will delete later. Please don’t quote. 

Both kids’ Pells  got pulled. We took a $46k increase in income thanks to a 401k withdrawal for home remodel (wheelchair accessibility), wheelchair van, medical expenses. DS is a fifth year senior. This means his scholarships are done. He made mistakes - switched majors and should have lived at home. Regardless, we are where we are. We are not in a good place to pay for school for both. We can contribute to each but can’t cover school. DD’s school is currently considering our info for hardship consideration. I can prove about $76k in out of pocket home / medical expenses after we disregard 2020. We applied on Feb for DS’ school and they declined to recognize hardship existed. I fail to see how anyone gets approved? I’m terminal and can’t get disability because I stayed home. WTHeck are they looking for??? We are bleeding money with this disease and have pretty much nothing left for savings.  Income ishigh but under $120k with nine kids still considered “at home.” We could cash flow about half his tuition and hers but he’s working 30-40 hours each week plus ROTC. 😑 Ideas? Normally I’d just work part time but obviously that’s kind of out. 

• Sad 5

Is he taking out any loans? Could you take parent loans with the plan to have him, not you, pay them off, if he has already maxed out regular loans?

Is he living at home now?

Is he at a public or a private? Based on experiences I’ve heard from others, privates are usually much more willing to take extenuating circumstances into account for financial aid. 

Can he get a job that pays more, maybe even one based on commission? My son had a job that was less than fifteen hours per week during college, but commission based. He made enough to cover all college expenses, but saved most of it due to scholarships and our contributions. 

Edited by Frances
  • Like 1

That's surprising that hardship isn't being recognized.  Is there someone else you can speak with about that?  We needed to do that for a couple of our kids, and though the different schools handled it differently, they were both very willing to help once they understood our circumstances.  One school was able to make available a scholarship that isn't really publicized but they save it for situations like ours.  Both schools were private.

One dd didn't have a choice but to live at the school, but our other dd lived off-campus nearly rent-free -- one year with her grandma, two years with an aunt and uncle, etc..

I hope you/they find a solution!  That's really frustrating.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, elroisees said:

Could he get an rotc scholarship? They paid for my last two years, but I'm not sure what the outlook is now. He should definitely ask his cadre, if he's at all willing to make a service commitment. 

He gets a stipend but they do not pay for school. He contracted very late in the game and spent gods first two years doing competitive mock trial, traveling often for competition, in a hard major. He would tell you he should never have mixed the two but his gpa did not gain him a latecomer scholarship, kwim?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Frances said:

Is he taking out any loans? Could you take parent loans with the plan to have him, not you, pay them off, if he has already maxed out regular loans?

Is he living at home now?

Is he at a public or a private? Based on experiences I’ve heard from others, privates are usually much more willing to take extenuating circumstances into account for financial aid. 

Can he get a job that pays more, maybe even one based on commission? My son had a job that was less than fifteen hours per week during college, but commission based. He made enough to cover all college expenses, but saved most of it due to scholarships and our contributions. 

He’s maxed as a dependent. He could live at home. Our oldest commuted although it was costly -wear on an older vehicle plus the cost of commute. It’s actually cheaper for him to live off campus. He lives with an ROTC buddy. He makes decent money as a shift manager but living expenses plus books plus cash for tuition is tight. If he were independent (he is 23.5) this would be a non issue. He’s not desire truly being independent. It’s a public school but we cannot take on co-signing. Cannot. Sometimes people get in situations where they can’t make a payment and it comes back. He is an awesome young man and extremely trustworthy but we cannot. With my extreme medical needs, I will need in home nursing care sooner than later and we have nine kids younger than him, kwim? 

36 minutes ago, J-rap said:

That's surprising that hardship isn't being recognized.  Is there someone else you can speak with about that?  We needed to do that for a couple of our kids, and though the different schools handled it differently, they were both very willing to help once they understood our circumstances.  One school was able to make available a scholarship that isn't really publicized but they save it for situations like ours.  Both schools were private.

One dd didn't have a choice but to live at the school, but our other dd lived off-campus nearly rent-free -- one year with her grandma, two years with an aunt and uncle, etc..

I hope you/they find a solution!  That's really frustrating.  

I went back and looked through my paperwork and saw it was filled under a one time excepted income and I wonder if that was the problem? I wonder if it should have been special circumstances due to extreme medical needs? I wrote a long letter of precise explanation and requested assistance walking through this so I’m hopeful. DD’s school has been very communicative asking for specific items like a letter of diagnosis from my neurologist. That was never requested at any point from DS’ school which leads me to believe everything was under the wrong exception?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BlsdMama said:

I went back and looked through my paperwork and saw it was filled under a one time excepted income and I wonder if that was the problem? I wonder if it should have been special circumstances due to extreme medical needs? I wrote a long letter of precise explanation and requested assistance walking through this so I’m hopeful. DD’s school has been very communicative asking for specific items like a letter of diagnosis from my neurologist. That was never requested at any point from DS’ school which leads me to believe everything was under the wrong exception?

It certainly can’t hurt to try submitting again under special circumstances. If not, are there any options at all for him living for free? For example, some students here live for free and work at rural fire stations and all training is provided. Any friends or family in the college town? An elderly person who needs some assistance? If the aid doesn’t come through, it seems like living expenses are the only way to save money.

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, BlsdMama said:

I am going to hope that this was the issue and that when you reapply under the special circumstances heading things are rectified. Frustrating that someone who read your initial application couldn't have told you that and helped you re-file under the correct heading.

If your situation isn't a "hardship," then good gawd almighty, I do not know what could be. {Hugs} as you navigate this new stressor on top of everything else. I hope that they come back with a finding in your son's favor.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

OP, has your DS spoken directly -- ideally, in-person -- with someone in the financial aid office?   As others have noted, private schools tend to be more flexible than public schools in this sort of situation, but if he is a 5th year senior the university is going to want to get him graduated and out the door.  

• Like 2

16 hours ago, BlsdMama said:

Was it a digital application?  I found that by first reaching out to an actual person, we had someone in our court who was helping us and making sure the information was being given to the right people.  

• Like 1

16 hours ago, J-rap said:

Was it a digital application?  I found that by first reaching out to an actual person, we had someone in our court who was helping us and making sure the information was being given to the right people.  

It was but with a specific person.  I'm finding myself pretty frustrated.  He has been talking with an actual human, but of course, goodness forbid they should consider 23 an adult.  Considering 23 a dependent is insanity.  

• Sad 1

On 8/23/2022 at 10:54 PM, Frances said:

It certainly can’t hurt to try submitting again under special circumstances. If not, are there any options at all for him living for free? For example, some students here live for free and work at rural fire stations and all training is provided. Any friends or family in the college town? An elderly person who needs some assistance? If the aid doesn’t come through, it seems like living expenses are the only way to save money.

There is - he could move home and commute.  The question is - would it save him money? His work would be 30 minutes away, school and ROTC would be 50 minutes away.  Plus, he would have to break lease and leave his buddy in the lurch - and he'd never do it.  His #1 personality characteristic is loyalty and his roommate is ROTC too and he would never agree to do it.  He'd work himself to death first.

• Like 1

I came to this late, because I've been doing college visits. 

If it comes up again, ask to appeal the financial aid offer, and specifically ask for professional judgement to review your demonsrated need based on high medical expenses. 

These tip sheets are written for financial aid offices, but may give you a sense of what documentation would be considered compelling in the future. 

You may find multiple reasons to request professional judgement apply to your family's situation. 

https://professionals.collegeboard.org/higher-ed/financial-aid/im/tips

I also like the form wizard from Swift Student to help with drafting appeal letters. It doesn't save your info, but acts as a letter generator. 

https://formswift.com/swift-student

And I'm so sorry you're going through this. 

• Thanks 1

On 8/27/2022 at 4:26 PM, Sebastian (a lady) said:

I came to this late, because I've been doing college visits. 

If it comes up again, ask to appeal the financial aid offer, and specifically ask for professional judgement to review your demonsrated need based on high medical expenses. 

These tip sheets are written for financial aid offices, but may give you a sense of what documentation would be considered compelling in the future. 

You may find multiple reasons to request professional judgement apply to your family's situation. 

https://professionals.collegeboard.org/higher-ed/financial-aid/im/tips

I also like the form wizard from Swift Student to help with drafting appeal letters. It doesn't save your info, but acts as a letter generator. 

https://formswift.com/swift-student

And I'm so sorry you're going through this. 

Thank you for this - I did not realize there was the ability to appeal the decision. Thank you again.

• Like 1