Menu

Two heading out the door this week

DawnM

Dd is home for three weeks between NSLI-Y and starting college. So we went on vacation. My IRL friends are questioning making her travel more, but we have a huge, messy moving project for an aging parent and we just wouldn't have stopped to hang out otherwise. She leaves in 2 weeks. I feel good about her year.

• Like 4

Leaving to take Mushroom to college a week from today. We're stopping along the way and looking at potential colleges for BalletBoy if he decides to go away to college as well so it's a bit of a family trip.

And me? So proud of Mushroom, so frustrated with how disgusting his room looks right now, and so sad he's going to be gone.

• Like 10

Just now, Farrar said:

I can only be so sentimental about a kid whose four day old Chipotle tin is still sitting on his desk.

lol. No doubt. Maybe it’s a boy thing. We help both our DS pack to, um, move them along.

Hubby was so mad at ds2’s messy lack-of-packing that he dropped his belongings on the curb and left him. Twice.

Now that he’s 30 we can laugh about it, but we were definitely not sentimental at the time.

• Like 4

My youngest is heading back to college after spending the summer with us unexpectedly.  It was a wonderful bonus having her home but my heart is heavy knowing she's leaving again.  

When my twins left for college the first time it was really really hard losing two at once!  

Big hugs to everyone as their nest gets empty or emptier.  

• Like 5

I have one leaving for the first time on Friday; we still have another couple of weeks with the one going back for senior year (!) I'm still a bit in denial I think. It will be very weird to be down to 2 kids at home. The new college kid will only be 4 hours away, which sounds wonderfully close after his brother being 1000 miles away. As soon as we get his performance schedule, we'll plan a weekend trip to see him play in either September or October (I also feel guilty because we haven't done any trips to see his brother, but it's just so much more expensive and complicated when you have to fly (and, of course, covid was a major interrupter, too)). 

• Like 5

Child #5 moved to the dorms on Monday.  He insisted he didn't need help so I assumed he was packing things up back in his room.  As I was leaving for an extended errand I stuck my head in the door to check on his progress and zero had been done.  He was gone when I got back but if you surveyed his room you couldn't tell he had actually taken anything with him except part of his "college" pile of supplies (comforter, towels, microwave and mini-fridge) had disappeared.  He returned that night to pick up the new sheets he had forgotten.  He returned last night to pick up some clothes and his computer and to return the car that we told him he couldn't have on campus this year.    He texted to ask dh to bring him some hangers today.  (dh works at the same university).  

It's probably a good thing he didn't go too far away from home - LOL!

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Tenaj said:

Child #5 moved to the dorms on Monday.  He insisted he didn't need help so I assumed he was packing things up back in his room.  As I was leaving for an extended errand I stuck my head in the door to check on his progress and zero had been done.  He was gone when I got back but if you surveyed his room you couldn't tell he had actually taken anything with him except part of his "college" pile of supplies (comforter, towels, microwave and mini-fridge) had disappeared.  He returned that night to pick up the new sheets he had forgotten.  He returned last night to pick up some clothes and his computer and to return the car that we told him he couldn't have on campus this year.    He texted to ask dh to bring him some hangers today.  (dh works at the same university).  

It's probably a good thing he didn't go too far away from home - LOL!

Yeah, good thing lol.  If my oldest had been close, I am sure I would have written the same post.  I try to remember that it takes all kinds of people. (And btw, my oldest graduated college with honors and has a full time job, so I'm sure your ds will be fine.  He still occasionally shocks us with his lack of planning, but other times we are pleasantly surprised when things like finding a doctor even occur to him.  If I could just convince him to buy a spare tire, though.....)

• Like 3

#1 graduated and moved out on his own in April

#2 leaves for her sophomore year on August 27. After a bumpy re-entry, she's been a delight, and I feel closer than ever to her (she had a bumpy adolescence).  So, I am excited about her new year and how eager she is to be back, but a bit wistful because she brings energy and creativity to our home.

#3 is working on college apps right now. If he could leave this minute, he would. LOL

I am looking forward to having 2 at home again.  We had that for the fall last year and it was a lot easier on me.  I think I'm getting old.

• Like 2

On 8/14/2022 at 6:31 AM, DawnM said:

Son #2 leaves tomorrow

Son #3 leaves Thursday

I am so excited for them and so sad for me.   

How about your kids?

My oldest has stayed at school this summer for the most part, since the lease on his apartment is a full-year lease. He’ll be a senior this year, and each time we see him, he seems to mature faster than we can imagine.

This weekend will be the last weekend at home for my youngest; the following Saturday, we drop him at his dorm for his freshman year. And then it’s just us and our cats and our students.

And yes, happy for them and sad for me is a good way to put it! There will be good things coming, too— it’s been 22 years since my husband and I had ourselves to ourselves for more than a few hours to a very occasional weekend. Or just been able to waive off dinner if we weren’t hungry because we didn’t have anyone else to be responsible for feeding.

But it’s going to be very weird, too. 

We have always eaten home-cooked meals around the table together as a family. I can foresee a few nights of eating out, despite the calorie intake, just to avoid that empty table for a few nights.

• Like 5