Menu

Well-trained bodies - August

Laura Corin

Busted my butt on slick steps in the rain. Fell hard. Ripped my palm. Bruised my butt. Been icing my tailbone area. They don’t even have a useful rail on the last three steps (where I fell). The rail is too far away from the steps and doesn’t run parallel to them. Can you imagine an elderly person there. I don’t know if I can get the city to address it. It’s a post office. This is the only public entrance.  

image.png

• Sad 7

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@heartlikealionouch! hope you feel better soon

Long day yesterday. Dr's office took way longer than I thought it would a lot of do this and then wait so still not many steps although I did walk around a bit in the am and before bed.

Today-- 

- calisthenics-- glutes and hamstrings- (maybe a 20 min HIIT too)

It is a nice change of place doing the calisthenics, challenging in a different way

--and I think I'll be able to make it to pickleball for a bit-- they are playing at 3:30 and dd finishes tennis at 5 so I'll get in a bit over an hour before I have to pick her up

• Like 5

@heartlikealion that sounds painful!  At the very least, it might be worth talking to the post office manager.  They should be aware of the possible liability.  I hope you feel better soon.

I'm moving to a 7-hour sleep window tonight - hooray!  I'm still sleeping well so far. 

That means the end of my late-evening walks and - I hope - a reduction in my daily midge-bite tally.  I'm still babying my arthritic knee, so today I'll take a walk on level ground at lunchtime and use some hand weights after work.

• Like 5

@heartlikealionSorry about the injury. The building should have an accessible entry ramp somewhere--ADA requirement. It came to mind because I use a photo of our post office's very long ramp with a rest platform as an example when we do our wheelchair ramp slope project (slope has to be 1:12 or less).

I'm sipping my mocha and then I'll do a workout video, probably cardio ballet.

• Like 5

@heartlikealion So sorry you fell. That staircase looks really beautiful, but completely useless design for accessability. 

No tennis scheduled today, but I may try to get out and hit some balls with dh. I'll focus on walking the dogs. Rag weed allergies are kicking into high gear now. My sinuses are not feeling good, and eyes and nose are runny. ☹️

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

After work yesterday, I bounced between doing a couple of short assignments for my classes and slapping a coat of paint on the bathroom drawer fronts before going to yoga. By the time I got home, the rain had mostly stopped and I had no excuse not to go out for a walk. I wasn't really into it, but I still had a lot of steps left to reach my goal. I told myself I'd just walk "for a while" and not worry about getting all the way to 15,000. As it happened, though, once I was out there with the dog and an interesting podcast, I managed to stick it out.

Started this morning with the usual 4K walk, followed by a satisfyingly full strength and stretching session on the patio. 

I did manage to sign up for the final runDisney race weekend of the season, the Springtime Surprise in mid-April. I registered for the Monsters Inc.-themed 10K and the sunrise yoga class at Disney Hollywood Studios. This will be my first time joining the mass yoga thing, and I'm looking forward to it.

What I think of as the "race season" kicks off in October this year. Thus far, I have planned:

• "Drag Race" 5K - Fundraiser for The Zebra Coalition (October)
  • WDW Wine & Dine Weekend 10K (November)
  • Turkey Trot 5K - Fundraiser for Seniors First (November)
  • Jingle Jolly Jog 5K (December)
  • WDW Marathon Weekend 10K (January)
  • Gingerbread Run 5K - Fundraiser for Give Kids the World (February)
  • WDW Princess Weekend 10K (February)
  • WDW Springtime Surprise 10K (April)
  • IOA Corporate 5K - With a group from work (May)

As a reminder: I walk these, because my knees do not approve of any attempt to run. But I enjoy the energy and semi-anonymous camaraderie of participating, plus the change of scene for that day's exercise.

Fall Frenzy 2022 Challenge: 11.8 ok 650k
Walking Streak: 114 days

• Like 6

I was mistaken, they said there’s another entrance on the side of building with ramp. I left message for post master as I still think the step entrance could be improved. I never got a call back. 

I’m still sore but much better. Today I did the exercise bike (kinda had to watch my angle as it could be painful) and tried out phase 2 of my DVD set. I had to do extra modifications but made it through. I got back on the bike later. All together I did just over an 1 hr on the bike and like 10 min of Get Fit with Rick. Drank more water today. My weight hasn’t really moved so I need to make more effort. 

I’m still trying to get a squirrel out of my attic. The whole thing is comical. Today I was playing YouTube squirrel videos in an attempt to get it out. 

• Like 5

I did the 20 min Burpee HIIT + pickleball yesterday (1 hr 20 m before I had to pick up dd)

I still feel like an idiot but maybe a bit less so. Things get better as I go. I can keep track of score now and serves. My serves aren't always terrible. I'm starting to be able to do different returns (although fail lots of them). I remember where to stand when different ones serve-- although I noticed that although there is a hard and fast rule about where to stand to serve exactly where to stand at other times isn't so locked in (and different people tell me different things). I think I played 4 games yesterday. I even got some points. In between games, I practiced on the wall which is very good for my reflexes. I just thought yesterday I should buy the girls some rackets and then we can try and play together. Most people are fairly nice, only 1 guy and gal have made me feel really unwelcome the guy showed up yesterday and kept watching me and then talking lowly to the other people on the sidelines. Made me feel very paranoid. Thankfully I didn't have to play with him and had to leave shortly after he got there.

Today:

strength training rest

HIIT it Hard Series -- Day 2--- 20 min (this week and next I'm doing 2 different week long calistenics series with the HIIT it hard interspersed in there-- I'm trying to get in 3 days of HIIT this week/2 next--- each series is 5 workouts total)

Pickleball-- probably only 50 min or so (play time is 30 min later today so I have less time before getting dd)

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

@Soror I would get different directions on the court, too. Like some would insist I move up when my teammate is serving but it actually wasn’t necessary for me to be too close to the kitchen. For me it’s easier to run forward than backwards. 

Do you mean Pickleball paddles? I saw a screenshot online of a set with 2 + 4 balls sold at Sam’s Club. I can’t speak to the quality but the price was good. 

0EF8695D-8838-489D-B417-36892781E30C.png

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, heartlikealion said:

@Soror I would get different directions on the court, too. Like some would insist I move up when my teammate is serving but it actually wasn’t necessary for me to be too close to the kitchen. For me it’s easier to run forward than backwards. 

Do you mean Pickleball paddles? I saw a screenshot online of a set with 2 + 4 balls sold at Sam’s Club. I can’t speak to the quality but the price was good. 

I was getting the opposite yesterday you have to stay behind the line when I serve-- no I don't. Then I realized he didn't seem to be an expert either. And one says one thing and when you say well so and so said that they act like you made it up. 

Yes, I meant paddles, lol. No Sam's Club here but I saw some paddle sets at Dunham's for a decent price I'm going to look the next time I get a chance. Otherwise I'll just order some. I found out there are a few places in town with open courts and those don't seem to used much. 

Edited by Soror
  • Like 3

46 minutes ago, Soror said:

I did the 20 min Burpee HIIT + pickleball yesterday (1 hr 20 m before I had to pick up dd)

I still feel like an idiot but maybe a bit less so. Things get better as I go. I can keep track of score now and serves. My serves aren't always terrible. I'm starting to be able to do different returns (although fail lots of them). I remember where to stand when different ones serve-- although I noticed that although there is a hard and fast rule about where to stand to serve exactly where to stand at other times isn't so locked in (and different people tell me different things). I think I played 4 games yesterday. I even got some points. In between games, I practiced on the wall which is very good for my reflexes. I just thought yesterday I should buy the girls some rackets and then we can try and play together. Most people are fairly nice, only 1 guy and gal have made me feel really unwelcome the guy showed up yesterday and kept watching me and then talking lowly to the other people on the sidelines. Made me feel very paranoid. Thankfully I didn't have to play with him and had to leave shortly after he got there.

Great job!! Glad you're feeling more skilled. There's a lot to absorb just keeping track of the score and serving, IME (and it doesn't help that it's all unnecessarily complicated). My dh printed out a tennis rule book and read through it, and used to bring it along to the court. It's surprising how many people have no real clue about the actual rules. It may be worth doing some online searches for actual rules, and youtube videos for pro tips on where to stand and why. 

Re: unwelcoming people - those are often the more competitive ones who have no concept of how to help others improve. Just be thankful they're not your parent. I've seen some unhelpful 'coaching' of parents toward their kids. I always love seeing the kids grow and then able to smack down their dad on the court. The dad scurries around on the court and doesn't have time to talk. ☺️ 

When you're practicing with your paddle, don't forget to work on your overhead smash. Then let loose on the unwelcoming dude when you have the opportunity. Even if you don't get the point, you'll show him that he's got to keep his head up and show a little respect. Don't smash at the lady, though - you'll get a different reaction there. 😉 

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

Dh and I have our first match in the mixed doubles club tournament. It should be a fun match. I know the lady and she's super nice. Because of all the rain, I haven't played tennis in a few days, so I'm going to need an extra long warm-up. 

My ds18 has his enrolment ceremony into the military officer training program this afternoon. I'm only allowed to watch online. He's doing civil engineering at our local university as part of the Regular Officer Training Plan (ROTP). Once he graduates, he'll work for the military for a few years to 'pay back' the tuition costs that the military covers. I'm not sure whether the US or UK has similar programs. This is like going to West Point of Sandhurst, but he won't be on the campus (Royal Military College) as there is a need for more officers, but not enough room at the college.

• Like 5

42 minutes ago, wintermom said:

Great job!! Glad you're feeling more skilled. There's a lot to absorb just keeping track of the score and serving, IME (and it doesn't help that it's all unnecessarily complicated). My dh printed out a tennis rule book and read through it, and used to bring it along to the court. It's surprising how many people have no real clue about the actual rules. It may be worth doing some online searches for actual rules, and youtube videos for pro tips on where to stand and why. 

Re: unwelcoming people - those are often the more competitive ones who have no concept of how to help others improve. Just be thankful they're not your parent. I've seen some unhelpful 'coaching' of parents toward their kids. I always love seeing the kids grow and then able to smack down their dad on the court. The dad scurries around on the court and doesn't have time to talk. ☺️ 

When you're practicing with your paddle, don't forget to work on your overhead smash. Then let loose on the unwelcoming dude when you have the opportunity. Even if you don't get the point, you'll show him that he's got to keep his head up and show a little respect. Don't smash at the lady, though - you'll get a different reaction there. 😉 

Yes, the most unwelcoming were the most competitive but the thing is we just have one practice time so everyone plays at once. I never hog playing and always defer if there is an odd number to give more practice time for those more advanced. 

And the overhead is one I've been trying here and there. I dont' think I've actually got one in bounds yet but I'm trying.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, Soror said:

Yes, the most unwelcoming were the most competitive but the thing is we just have one practice time so everyone plays at once. I never hog playing and always defer if there is an odd number to give more practice time for those more advanced. 

And the overhead is one I've been trying here and there. I dont' think I've actually got one in bounds yet but I'm trying.

When you get extra paddles, you can practice with your dc or dh at home, or use a wall. 

For group play, is it 'first come first play' or something like that? I don't think you should sit just because you are a newer player. That's not fair, and it's not going to help you improve.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, wintermom said:

When you get extra paddles, you can practice with your dc or dh at home, or use a wall. 

For group play, is it 'first come first play' or something like that? I don't think you should sit just because you are a newer player. That's not fair, and it's not going to help you improve.

I don't know the rules on who plays. It seems they just rotate through switching up who people play with the good players tend to stay in more. 

• Like 1

Thursday--dumbbell workout. My calves are feeling all the relevés from yesterday's Cardio Ballet. I'm going to finish my breakfast here and then head into school (already visited dd this morning). I need to put thinking time into what I'm teaching--next week will be too many meetings and trainings and not enough time for what I want to think about.

• Like 6

@Soror Here they were struggling with newer vs older players and suggested the tape system but don’t know if they used it. The more advanced players wrap their paddle handles in a special tape (they were using red). Then they line paddles up for next game and try to pair people with their level. 

Man I wish you could find another place to practice or they add another night?? 

• Like 4

Last night was another of those "I'm just going to trudge along until I get my steps" walks, and I actually still had a few hundred to go when I gave up and let the dog drag me inside. I figured I would finish off just with normal walking around the house, but only as I was getting ready for bed did I realize I was still a couple hundred steps short. I paced the bedroom while brushing my teeth. 

Walked the usual 4k+ this morning, followed by a 20-minute upper body video (which gave me a lot of trouble today, for some reason) and a set of steps for my knees. 

In an effort to avoid that big number of steps to finish off at the end of the day -- and because I just really needed a break and a chance to move -- I took a lunch-time break and took the dog for a quick walk. 

One of the mini-challenges this season is completing three hiking activities, which made me realize that I have fallen into very much of a walking-around-the-neighborhood rut. I am already signed up for one meditative hike with one of my yoga teachers next month, but when I get a chance I need to do  I'm glad to have the excuse to do some kind of intentional planning for two more good hiking outings before the end of October. 

Fall Frenzy 2022 Challenge: 21.9 of 650k
Walking Streak: 115 days

Edited by Jenny in Florida
  • Like 5

23 minutes ago, heartlikealion said:

@Soror Here they were struggling with newer vs older players and suggested the tape system but don’t know if they used it. The more advanced players wrap their paddle handles in a special tape (they were using red). Then they line paddles up for next game and try to pair people with their level. 

Man I wish you could find another place to practice or they add another night?? 

Interesting system. I've only heard about it in another town but it is 45 minutes away as opposed to 20-25 and they say it is all a bunch of more advanced dues that are really brutal. One lady north of me said she's trying to start a group in another town. It would actually be closer to me (only 15 -20 min). She's fairly new to it too. I'm watching to see if anything comes of that. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, heartlikealion said:

I was mistaken, they said there’s another entrance on the side of building with ramp. I left message for post master as I still think the step entrance could be improved. I never got a call back. 

I’m still sore but much better. Today I did the exercise bike (kinda had to watch my angle as it could be painful) and tried out phase 2 of my DVD set. I had to do extra modifications but made it through. I got back on the bike later. All together I did just over an 1 hr on the bike and like 10 min of Get Fit with Rick. Drank more water today. My weight hasn’t really moved so I need to make more effort. 

I’m still trying to get a squirrel out of my attic. The whole thing is comical. Today I was playing YouTube squirrel videos in an attempt to get it out. 

A squirrel in your attic is a landlord issue, not just to get it out, but most especially to repair whatever needs repairing so that critters do not get in again.

• Like 5

16 minutes ago, Harriet Vane said:

A squirrel in your attic is a landlord issue, not just to get it out, but most especially to repair whatever needs repairing so that critters do not get in again.

He’s well aware and was over here trying to help me the other day. He closed off a hole outside the house where he thinks it got in but now the only way to get it out is those slats that open/close in my hallway ceiling or if it goes all the way to a hole in the ceiling of the laundry room which is a tiny room connected to the carport. I get to hear it every day scurry around my walls/ceiling or scratching. He said he was setting traps but I don’t want that kind… I want the cage so we could let it lose. I don’t think it’s my place to call a service to come out. I know you can use food to get it but I don’t even know where I’d put the food. It’s crazy. 

I do believe it’s a squirrel not a rat. I saw a piece of a nut shell fall out of the ceiling slat and rats are more active at night. 

Edited by heartlikealion
  • Like 3

On 8/19/2022 at 12:33 PM, Soror said:

I'm not a runner but look at info from Dr  Stacy Sims. She is an athlete herself and has made it her life's work to study women, training, nutrition etc. Most info and studies are done on men and as she says we are not just small men, our physiology is different. I think her book Roar gives lots of detailed info. I have her new book for perimenopause and menopause but I don't think it's as detailed. She has a lot of free info out there too. Good luck 

I was finally about to pick this up from the library today and I'm only on page ix, but it is really exciting! I'm already hearing female-specific things that I have struggled with. I don't know if I'll be able to read it fast enough to help me prep for the half-marathon I'm signed up for, but I don't care. I'm going to end up a smarter female athlete. I could always sign up for another race to try out new found knowledge (theoretically 😄) Thanks for the rec.

• Like 5

It's all fitness, all the time today. I met with my PT this morning so she could iron out my neck. (She does MAT adjustments.) Then I took a walk with a friend. Then gyrotonics this afternoon--my gyro trainer is meticulous and detailed, so there's always lots to think about and concentrate on. Even though it's a genuine workout, I don't get sweaty, which also keeps my attitude good. I always feel better after gyro. 

• Like 6

The tennis match went very well. We won and played well, and our opponents were super nice. We also saw the pair we will play next week, and the people we'll play if we happen to win our next match. The goal that dh and I had when we entered the tournament was to meet some new people that we could play with in the future, and we've already accomplished it! 

• Like 6

On 8/19/2022 at 11:25 AM, SusanC said:

I have a question that I thought this group might be equipped to give advice on. I've decided to run a half-marathon at the end of October. I've done a couple in the distant past, and I've been running regularly for years, but not the distance required. My question is, as I increase my distances, what kind of pre-exercise body fueling should I try?

Up until now I've always just had a drink of water and been on my way. I'm so much older now, I'm thinking that even though I'm in better shape than I have been in a long time, perhaps a pre-run electrolyte drink or an energy bar would help me complete my runs? Does anybody do this? I've avoided eating before running in the past because I didn't want to feel queasy and I wasn't convinced my body could use the nutrients I had consumed less than two hours before, but I'm willing to give anything a try that might make me more successful.

I have Nuun that I drink post-long runs so that I don't get a headache later in the day. I could just have one of those pre-run also?

What works for you?

I usually have a piece of toast or a banana pre long run (anything over an hour). For runs over 90 minutes look at taking nutrition every 45 minutes during the run a gel or an electrolyte/carb drink like tailwind or scratch. 

If you’re peri menopausal Dr Sims has a new book out Next Level which is really helpful. Another mother runner is a podcast which is helpful as well. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, heartlikealion said:

I’ll take a look next time I go. I probably walked right past it thinking it was an employee entrance! 

I don’t think this is well marked. I didn’t get out to read. I can definitely see why I didn’t notice this entrance before. It’s really on what I’d call the back of the building. And with the zig zag within the railing it doesn’t even look ideal for a wheel chair. 
image.thumb.png.6e8951732b4d8218f85af623d3612475.png

• Like 4

9 hours ago, wintermom said:

The tennis match went very well. We won and played well, and our opponents were super nice. We also saw the pair we will play next week, and the people we'll play if we happen to win our next match. The goal that dh and I had when we entered the tournament was to meet some new people that we could play with in the future, and we've already accomplished it! 

Yay!! Congrats! 

12 hours ago, Harriet Vane said:

It's all fitness, all the time today. I met with my PT this morning so she could iron out my neck. (She does MAT adjustments.) Then I took a walk with a friend. Then gyrotonics this afternoon--my gyro trainer is meticulous and detailed, so there's always lots to think about and concentrate on. Even though it's a genuine workout, I don't get sweaty, which also keeps my attitude good. I always feel better after gyro. 

I thought that said gyno at first and I thought yeah happy when I get to leave 😂

Kids are here and dd wanted me to go to bed when I sent her to bed (I give in partly because I worry she just wants comfort with all the changes in her life). I made my tailbone flare up when I sat on the floor to look at her homework (screamed in pain) so I didn’t bother to do a workout last night. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

11 hours ago, wintermom said:

Huzzah, congratulations 👏🎉

That's a win-win.

• Like 3

Pickleball last night was good- I got in a hair under 2 hrs and played pretty much the whole time. My feeling last night - I suck but not as much as I did and there is improvement. I managed to land 2 overhead shots for the first time. Most annoying thing last night was when my body would forget what my brain knows- 2 times I hit a serve before it bounced. I know this but sometimes my brain spaces and forgets oh this is a serve. Then whomever I'm playing with reminds me of the rule ugh yes I know sigh.,..I get lots of cardio as I try to get every ball that bounces out and usually sprint to them and back. I was as red as a tomato by the time we finished. Ironically highschool sports practice got cancelled due to the heat but we were playing away. I think it was low 90s, not sure the humidity.

This am- 20 min dumbbell full body HIIT and 40 min calisthenics full body.

Probably won't be anything else today. I got woke in the night 2 nights in a row and will probably nap. No pickleball scheduled, they seem to do Mon-Thurs.

• Like 6

8 minutes ago, Soror said:

Pickleball last night was good- I got in a hair under 2 hrs and played pretty much the whole time. My feeling last night - I suck but not as much as I did and there is improvement. I managed to land 2 overhead shots for the first time. Most annoying thing last night was when my body would forget what my brain knows- 2 times I hit a serve before it bounced. I know this but sometimes my brain spaces and forgets oh this is a serve. Then whomever I'm playing with reminds me of the rule ugh yes I know sigh.,..I get lots of cardio as I try to get every ball that bounces out and usually sprint to them and back. I was as red as a tomato by the time we finished. Ironically highschool sports practice got cancelled due to the heat but we were playing away. I think it was low 90s, not sure the humidity.

This am- 20 min dumbbell full body HIIT and 40 min calisthenics full body.

Probably won't be anything else today. I got woke in the night 2 nights in a row and will probably nap. No pickleball scheduled, they seem to do Mon-Thurs.

Yay for improvement!! It's so easy for the mind to lose focus and 'space out.' I'm constantly reigning in my focus for service reception. Celebrate all the little victories along the path of learning the game. I include being able to sprint after a ball a victory - whether it's during play or simply retrieving it. It means I can still move! ☺️ You've got this!!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, heartlikealion said:

Yay!! Congrats!   

I thought that said gyno at first and I thought yeah happy when I get to leave 😂

Kids are here and dd wanted me to go to bed when I sent her to bed (I give in partly because I worry she just wants comfort with all the changes in her life). I made my tailbone flare up when I sat on the floor to look at her homework (screamed in pain) so I didn’t bother to do a workout last night. 

Thanks for the support on the tennis.

So sorry your tailbone is sore. I still have bad memories about injuring my tailbone when I was 14 and endured weeks of pain sitting at my school desk. Hope your pain is better now.

• Like 3

I took a quick walk with the dog at lunchtime yesterday, but then had to retreat to the stationary bike to finish off "steps" last night, because it stormed from before I quit work until well after 10:00. I tried to read a couple of papers I need to finish for one of my classes while I was pedaling, but the combination of older, tired eyes with an outdated reading prescription and not enough lighting made that a lost cause. I did at least log my remaining steps.

Started today with about 4.5k around the neighborhood, followed by about 2 minutes of standing strength and stretching stuff. (I got sidetracked talking to my husband about house stuff and ran out of time for anything more ambitious.)

More of the usual this evening, probably. Hoping to venture out this weekend for something more interesting. I am a week behind in my training schedule for the first 10k and really need to do that 6.25k walk. I'm thinking it will be more enticing if I pick somewhere outside of my neighborhood to go. (I also have schoolwork to do, though, and bathroom cabinets to finish painting. So, we'll see.)

Fall Frenzy 2022 Challenge: 37.6 of 650k
Walking Streak: 116 days

• Like 6

Dh had an early meeting so I got to do another outdoor 30 min dog walk instead of the treadmill this morning. Lovely day--good to get out. And my BP this morning was an unusually low 107/74. But dh's has been reading high, like where mine was for my doctor appointments, so he's a bit upset about that. He is already great with the exercise but we'll see what better diet can do.

2 hours ago, heartlikealion said:

I don’t think this is well marked. I didn’t get out to read. I can definitely see why I didn’t notice this entrance before. It’s really on what I’d call the back of the building. And with the zig zag within the railing it doesn’t even look ideal for a wheel chair. 

Ooh! I can answer the zig zaggy part!

My oldest is in a wheelchair and I homeschooled her two younger sisters and I'm a math teacher. When we were studying slope, I wondered what the ADA requirement was for slope and if our ramp up to our front door met it--perfect homeschool project. ADA (Americans with Disabilities Act) was passed in 1990 and it sets requirements for public building entrances and things like wheelchair ramps. The ADA slope requirement is 1:12, a rise-over-run of 1/12. So if your door is 1 foot higher than the sidewalk, you need 12 feet of run for your ramp. That's a really gentle slope (though still challenging enough when pushing a wheelchair). If your door is 4 or 5 feet higher than the sidewalk (your post office picture from the front looks like it might be), you need 48 or 60 feet of run. And if your run is longer than 30 feet, you have to have a rest platform--a flat area where the slope isn't changing (so someone in a wheelchair can take a break). So runs can be longer than space available on the property, and thus was born the zig zaggy wheelchair ramps. Often the rest platforms (flat spots) are where the change in direction happens.

Now teaching in a public school, I've written up a wheelchair ramp slope project which we do when we're starting slope (my hope is that it helps them remember rise over run, not run over rise, but no strong evidence that it accompishes that!) We measure the rise and run of two different ramps at our school. If you measure extremely accurately (hard to do), one is probably exactly 1:12. The other is gentler than that--about .05 instead of .083. We have good discussions on whether they meet ADA, especially if measurements are off and they get .09 or .1. Of course they have to meet ADA since it's a public building. Our house is also 1:12, so the builders followed ADA even though it's a private residence. Our conversion van ramp that folds out the back is about twice as steep as ADA--but it's not a public building.

IMO, handrails are not for wheelchair users--our hands are on the chairs. They are for anyone with balance issues or slippery conditions or keeping kids from going over the edge!

• Like 5

I'm not 100% percent but I did 40 min on the bike, a mostly modified HIIT and short cool down video. It is a pet peeve of mine when they don't give you the modification suggestions til like 2/3 into the video. I know some of the modifications are found online, but I own the DVDs and think they should be included as a separate video on the DVD like they are for the digital ones. I watched the disc 1 modifications and will need to go look for the disc 2 mods if there's such a video. During the exercises sometimes they will say, "a modification for this is..." but by then you've already been asked to do the move like 2-3x lol. 

They did something called "Get Ups" and I was not about to attempt that with my soreness so I just did other things during that part. And for the "mountain climber" which is like a push up pose but running with your legs, they didn't tell me til later I could stand upright and just alternate moving each leg backwards. Sometimes you can just make up your own modifications I guess. I just did whatever when there wasn't one provided. 

I weighed a pound more between Thurs morning and Friday morning and I didn't do any exercise Thurs so I was like ok I'll do something today. I wanted to eat a taco salad but the local store only had a salad mix for like $4 and Sam's was completely out of stock of my 6pk of romaine hearts the other day ugh. So I ate a low calorie tortilla. I hate to spend $4 on a wimpy salad mix when I can get 6 hearts of romaine for that. 

Since I ran a few errands today I got some steps, too. So overall I think today was OK. 

• Like 5

21 hours ago, Jenny in Florida said:

I took a quick walk with the dog at lunchtime yesterday, but then had to retreat to the stationary bike to finish off "steps" last night, because it stormed from before I quit work until well after 10:00. I tried to read a couple of papers I need to finish for one of my classes while I was pedaling, but the combination of older, tired eyes with an outdated reading prescription and not enough lighting made that a lost cause. I did at least log my remaining steps.

Started today with about 4.5k around the neighborhood, followed by about 2 minutes of standing strength and stretching stuff. (I got sidetracked talking to my husband about house stuff and ran out of time for anything more ambitious.)

More of the usual this evening, probably. Hoping to venture out this weekend for something more interesting. I am a week behind in my training schedule for the first 10k and really need to do that 6.25k walk. I'm thinking it will be more enticing if I pick somewhere outside of my neighborhood to go. (I also have schoolwork to do, though, and bathroom cabinets to finish painting. So, we'll see.)

Fall Frenzy 2022 Challenge: 37.6 of 650k
Walking Streak: 116 days

good luck on the training walk--

20 hours ago, Harriet Vane said:

Weights and core this morning, cha-ching. I have a work deadline on Tuesday and am in the throes of usual Big Push to get it done. I'm trying hard to manage this one without as much sleep deprivation as in earlier projects.

Oh, no, we know how you get with deadlines. I hope you can make it through this one without killing yourself.

7 hours ago, heartlikealion said:

I'm not 100% percent but I did 40 min on the bike, a mostly modified HIIT and short cool down video. It is a pet peeve of mine when they don't give you the modification suggestions til like 2/3 into the video. I know some of the modifications are found online, but I own the DVDs and think they should be included as a separate video on the DVD like they are for the digital ones. I watched the disc 1 modifications and will need to go look for the disc 2 mods if there's such a video. During the exercises sometimes they will say, "a modification for this is..." but by then you've already been asked to do the move like 2-3x lol. 

They did something called "Get Ups" and I was not about to attempt that with my soreness so I just did other things during that part. And for the "mountain climber" which is like a push up pose but running with your legs, they didn't tell me til later I could stand upright and just alternate moving each leg backwards. Sometimes you can just make up your own modifications I guess. I just did whatever when there wasn't one provided. 

I weighed a pound more between Thurs morning and Friday morning and I didn't do any exercise Thurs so I was like ok I'll do something today. I wanted to eat a taco salad but the local store only had a salad mix for like $4 and Sam's was completely out of stock of my 6pk of romaine hearts the other day ugh. So I ate a low calorie tortilla. I hate to spend $4 on a wimpy salad mix when I can get 6 hearts of romaine for that. 

Since I ran a few errands today I got some steps, too. So overall I think today was OK. 

It is always nice when they have modifications. If I'm really spent during a cardio video my modification might just be high marches, or jumping jacks, or if they are doing something with a jump just do it without one. If you are moving and you're keeping the heart rate up you are meeting the goal.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

As expected I didn't do much yesterday after my 1 hr workout in the morning, which kicked my already sore and tired butt. 

Steps haven't been great this week but exercise has been excellent. Oh well! I feel good about the week and the work I've put in. It's a balance.

Today--

rest day-- helping dh outside with the shop

• Like 5

Had a nice yoga session this morning and did my PT. Last week I did a dog walk instead, so this was my first real yoga in a couple of weeks. Felt good.

My youngest is here about 2 more weeks before going back to school in CA. One of the things on her summer bucket list is to eat vegetarian for a week, so we started yesterday. It's kind of funny because she hates almost all vegetables--it's not really about eating vegetables but just avoiding meat I think. Last night we grilled pizzas (cheese, mushroom, and margherita options--she did just cheese). Tonight will be some kind of southwestern salad (probably just quesadilla for dd). Tomorrow is my experiment night--I'm trying Mujadarra (lentils, rice, fried onions) from a cookbook I have from the library. Then dd gets to plan a few dinners and we're already talking about a pasta restaurant for one of the nights. We'll see if we can make it a full week.

Supposed to be cloudy and only 75° today, so I think I have to tackle the window cleaning project. Sigh.

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, Ali in OR said:

Had a nice yoga session this morning and did my PT. Last week I did a dog walk instead, so this was my first real yoga in a couple of weeks. Felt good.

My youngest is here about 2 more weeks before going back to school in CA. One of the things on her summer bucket list is to eat vegetarian for a week, so we started yesterday. It's kind of funny because she hates almost all vegetables--it's not really about eating vegetables but just avoiding meat I think. Last night we grilled pizzas (cheese, mushroom, and margherita options--she did just cheese). Tonight will be some kind of southwestern salad (probably just quesadilla for dd). Tomorrow is my experiment night--I'm trying Mujadarra (lentils, rice, fried onions) from a cookbook I have from the library. Then dd gets to plan a few dinners and we're already talking about a pasta restaurant for one of the nights. We'll see if we can make it a full week.

Supposed to be cloudy and only 75° today, so I think I have to tackle the window cleaning project. Sigh.

Ugh I feel you windows are no fun.

I love Mujadarra. My people have something against lentils while I think there tasty in every thing I've tried. I need to make a batch of that for lunch.

• Like 3

I'm not vegetarian but I sometimes eat non meat things. Pasta salad, spaghetti, vegetable lasagna (I haven't in a long time because it's hit and miss with me and the cheese), vegetarian refried beans for burritos, yogurt/fruit/nuts, green salad with things like chick peas, black beans, tortilla or wonton strips, cucumber, carrot (I don't know which veggies your dd will eat), pancakes/french toast/eggs, pb & j. There are really many things. A common breakfast for me is toast with butter and apple sauce or oatmeal and fruit. 

• Like 3

On 8/25/2022 at 7:38 AM, heartlikealion said:

0EF8695D-8838-489D-B417-36892781E30C.png

Btw I found a similar set at Dunham- Franklin - 2 balls and 2 paddles- $28

• Like 3

I just don’t feel 100% yet. My palm is still sore/tender and I need to buy some vitamin E for it. My tailbone feels bruised but I never saw a bruise so I can’t really assess it. I’m debating going to the dr just to confirm bruising vs fracture. I don’t know. I have injured my tailbone before and I think it was worse last time, at lease initially as I recall using a donut pillow. Just like a peace of mind thing. Though could they really do anything in either case? 

I think I need to just rest as I could make healing take longer by exercising (walking may be ok but the other stuff might need to wait). This is really frustrating but I’ll just have to do my best with diet. I haven’t eaten bad food just worried that I have to eat less to make a calorie deficit. And if that can’t happen because I’ll be hangry, then I’ll just have to accept a pause in my progress. 

We have to go to the city for dd’s First Communion class in the morning so I’ll see if I can pick up liquid Vit D then. And if not that, at least some neosporin. I think I have some in the car in a first aid kit, too. 

• Like 4
  • Sad 1