Menu

favorite book or resource for teaching letters of the alphabet?

3Rivers

I have done a smattering of things with my PreK Boy Wonder, but I think it may be easier if someone or something else thought of the ideas for me, as in just provided a simple lesson or workbook page and then suggested fun activities for that letter. That would be my ideal book.

What are your favorite resources for pre-K, especially for learning letters and numbers?

"Spine" is my favorite word of the month, so essentially that's what I'm looking for.

I was going to get the Slow and Steady book, but after the recent thread on that I am less apt to go buy it now.

A whole curriculum with bells and whistles will not get done around here. He is a welcome addition to his brother's and sister's activities, so he is a busy boy already.

Just looking for brief lessons in the basics.

Thanks-

Jamie

I dont have a lessons plans but what has worked for us is SigningTime videos do the ABC on I think all of them plus they have ABC stand alone video. We read Chicka Chicka Boom boom. Learning the letter sounds her Leapfrog toys and videos have helped with that tremendously

I know a lot of people that do ABC books. Going to site and print out a letter and find different things that being with that letter around the house or in a news paper or magazine. Reading books that are about that letter. Meaning if the letter is A read books about Ants Airplanes Apples Alligators ect.

We also use starfall.com for letter recognition and letter sounds.

Good luck

I'd get a copy of the SWR cards. Just go over the phonograms with him. I laminated mine; both my cursive from Cursive First and also my other phonograms are print. I put holes in the bottoms of the cards and rings, and I just flip through them. I know the sounds for the 2 and 3 letters phonograms and I occasionally add one or two. We aren't doing it according to the program, just every few days we'll do it....whenever one of us want to do it... Also, LeapFrog magnetic letters (what's it called? The one that goes someplace like your fridge and you pop the letters into it...It's actually pretty accurate as far as how the sounds go)

Carrie

The LeapFrog video/dvd called "The Letter Factory" had my son knowing all of his letters and all their sounds by age 2. It's awesome!

:iagree:

I love that video. It teaches letters and the phonics sounds. We also have a big alphabet train floor puzzle which is great. It helps to put the letters in order. Hmmm. I think the only other thing we have used are some Waldorf alphabet books with beautiful pictures like LMNOP. With my oldest, I used the Dr. Suess ABC book. I don't recommend that. ;) To this day he and I both still know all of the rhymes for all of the letters. You might think that is a good thing, but one day you wil tire of Many Mumbling Mice Making Music and the Quick Queen of Quincey and her quacking-quackeroo.

The LeapFrog video/dvd called "The Letter Factory" had my son knowing all of his letters and all their sounds by age 2. It's awesome!

:iagree: This has been my experience with ds as well.

Also, I haven't tried it or even looked at it thoroughly, but I've heard about a lot of Moms using this: http://www.letteroftheweek.com/

I think it's all free and I've heard people really like it.

Abeka's nursery curriculum is great at just doing letters. I taught one child with it, and we are currently working with another. It is so simple. All she really does is glue her "magic beans" as she calls them to the letter of the week. It keeps her occupied and gives me peace while teaching the others. It's called "Letters and Sound N". When my son did it, we started doing the beginning of OPGTR too. It was great. Jen

My 6 y/o and 4 y/o both learned their letters and numbers without any effort on my part. They also both learned how to write the letters and numbers. I thank God regularly for that blessing. The only effort I've had to make is to ask them to start their letters at the top and to make the strokes in a particular order. We do have the Leap Frog videos. Both children aren't visual learners and they didn't pay those videos very much attention.

Adding another vote for Leapfrog's "Letter Factory". We got that for Adrian when he was about 2 1/2 and it took him a few months to learn his letters and sounds. We also have some Sesame Street DVDs that have worked well for him but the sounds of the letters he learned from Letter Factory. Great DVD! Good to hear you will be trying it out. The rest of the series is also very good. We have all five and even though the math one progresses a little too fast (it's only one DVD) Adrian has loved it and has learned a lot from it too. The Talking Word Factory DVDs (there's two of those) helped him as an intro to reading and as a result his reading took off really fast once we started HOP when he was 4.

Also, the book recommended by another poster "Chicka Chicka Boom Boom" comes on DVD as well (from Scholastic) and so does "Chicka Chicka 123". Adrian has loved both these books and so I decided to get him the DVDs even though they are below his level at this point. They are under the tree right now along with his other Christmas presents so we have not watched them yet but a preview we saw seemed really good and Adrian kept saying "Mummy, can I have them for Christmas?"

The website Starfall (also mentioned) is great as well and Adrian has enjoyed playing around with that too. We also own the set of (5 I think they are) computer games from Scholastic with Clifford the big red dog. Adrian has been playing with those since he turned 3 and they have helped with CVCs also.

HTH!

Edited by Guest

Like many others, :iagree: This video is amazing.

Great! I've got some good things to try now. I'm anxious to see the Leap Frog DVD, already have it on hold at the library.

Thanks!

Jamie

I can almost guarantee that you will buy the video after you see it from the library.