Menu

Book a Week 2022 - BW21: A Bit of This, a Bit of That!

Robin M

poster%20book%20reader%20with%20crazy%20expectations.jpg

Happy Sunday! I'm in a mood. Can't tell you which one, but a mood. So today, you get a bit of this, a bit of that.  A bit of this from my wild mind as well as a bit of that from the world wide web. 

One of the dusty books in my virtual shelves is A.S. Byatt's The Djinn in the Nightingale’s Eye. It's one of those one day I'll get round to it. Saw George Miller Presents His “Anti-Mad Max” in Three Thousand Years of Longing Trailer on Tor which is based on Byatt's book and is quite intriguing.  Especially since Idris Elba is in it. Yum.  I'll be diving into The Djinn soon. 

I recently got sucked into a Korean drama on Netflix, Romance is a Bonus Book which is set in a publishing company.  It was quite fascinating and wondered if any of the books mentioned were real. Quite pleased to discover they are!  Discovered there are a few K drama's that are based on books

Stumbled across Lessons Learned from a Year Listening to the Fictional Octopus in My Head by Shelby Van Pelt. Reminded me of my very literal minded son when he was young and how I had to rethink each sentence and learn how to talk to him without slang or metaphor. Will definitely be reading Remarkably Bright Creatures this year. 

As we all know, Nora Roberts is one of my favorite authors. Her assistant Laura recently posted her latest Notes from a Cranky Publicist in which she mentioned books she read while recovering from hip surgery.  Besides Nora of course, she listed several great books including other authors I love such as Nalini Singh and Sarah Addison Allen. She talked about some new to me authors and Beach Read by Emily Henry and Every Summer After by Carley Fortune immediately went on my wish list.  My ever growing wish list because my buying ban is still in force.  Maybe I'll break down in June. 

Okay, enough about me.  LOL!  Several interesting things happened in history on May 22.

1819:  The steamship SS Savannah set sail from Savannah, Georgia for Liverpool, England on the first trans Atlantic crossing.  Read a book about a steamship.  

1859: Birth of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle:  Read about the author or read a book about his character, Sherlock Holmes.

1868 - The Great Train Robbery:  Read Michael Crichton's Great Train Robbery, or other fiction and non fiction books about train robberies 

1906 - Patent 821,393 is to Wilbur and Orville Wright for “new and useful improvement in Flying Machines.”    Read a book about how airplanes were invented and/or the Wright Brothers.

1933:  first declared by U.S Congress to be National Maritime Day in honor of the Merchant Marines.  Read a book about marine heritage.

1933 - First reported sighting of the Loch Ness Monster.  We enjoyed reading the book written by Dick King-Smith, The Water Horse as well as watching the Movie.

1967 - The debut of "Mister Rogers' Neighborhood:  We recently enjoyed both the movie and the book tie in A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood  based off of Tom Junod's article about Mr. Rogers for Esquire magazine. It touched our hearts and gave us a new appreciation for Mr. Rogers

1977 - the Orient Express takes it's final trip across Europe.  Read a book about or which takes place on the Orient Express.  Hint, hint - Agatha Christie. 

Have fun following rabbit trails!!!!

And if you are still following along with our letter of the week, we are back on track with the letter U

Link to book week 20

Visit  52 Books in 52 Weeks where you can find all the information on the annual, mini and perpetual challenges.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

I finished my reread of S.K.Dunstall’s Stars Uncharted and started the 2nd book in the series, Stars Beyond. (ebook)

Finished Jodi Taylor’s 4th book in her Chronicles of St. Mary’s series with A Trail through Time.  

And thanks to my son for buying me Brandon Sanderson’s Words of Radiance in his Stormlight archive series, which will take me a while since it’s quite chunky.

I think my sip read of George Eliot’s Middlemarch is probably going to take me the rest of the year.

I did a stupid thing on Thursday. Forgot I’m not as flexible as I used to be.  I attempted to shave my legs by resting my foot up on the bathroom counter. I lost my balance and landed flat on my back. Ouch! Ever felt like you were falling in slow motion? Weird. But nothing broken fortunately.  Heating pad whenever I’m sitting; Tylenol, and Salonpas patches have kept me mobile.  Oy!

Watched the remainder of Romance is a Book, Sandra Bullock’s Lost City which was hilarious, as well as Jennifer Hudson’s Respect which wasn’t so hilarious. Plus got sucked into the Dep/Heard thing for a bit.

• Like 5

Hello everyone~

I am excited to be halfway through my reading goal this year (27/52). I don't think I've ever had this much success this early on. I am usually scrambling in November and December to get in 10 or more books. Reading is also helping with me with the goal of having more unplugged (no tv or movies) days.

The library still hasn't opened registration for the summer reading program so I can read books I already own for the next couple of weeks. The library encourages readers to check out library materials for the reading program and I am willing to jump on board for that time. I have no idea which of the books I have lined up will be available so venturing into the reading unknown will be exciting. Also, since they haven't opened registration, I have no idea what the categories are going to be. Do they not know this is driving people crazy? They are librarians and should be wholly aware that the suspense is too much.

• Like 7

Thank you Robin!  Ouch!  I hope your back feels much better soon.

I am a bit ahead on the alphabet front.  For “V” I read a  new release by Paul Viditch called The Matchmaker which was very good and for W I listened to the latest Jacqueline Winspear.  The Sunlit Weapon was enjoyable…..it’s more about Maisie at this point for me. I started my X last night, another Inspector Chen.https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/10970765-don-t-cry-tai-lake

I sort of fell down a Grace Burrowes rabbit hole last week and read 3 of her newish historical romances.  They were all entertaining.  I particularly like the Lady Violet series. https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/59785005-lady-violet-finds-a-bridegroom

I also read one of the Library of Congress Mystery series by CW Grafton.  Yes, Grafton, as in Sue Grafton’s father.  The Rat Began to Gnaw on the Rope (from a nursery rhyme) was very well done.  It was an accounting crime so fun for an old accountant (me) to read.  A lawyer has a new client who wants him to figure out why she has been approached by someone who wants to pay a huge amount of money for stock in her father’s estate. https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/4562656-the-rat-began-to-gnaw-the-rope

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I had three audiobooks I had on hold at the library all come up this past week and chose Nothing to Envy: Ordinary Lives in North Korea by
Barbara Demick. I have been truly craving some well-written, engaging non-fiction, and this one is hitting the spot. I'm learning a lot about a part of the world about which I know embarrassingly little. 

Also recently finished:

• The Unlikely Adventures of the Shergill Sisters, Balli Kaur Jaswal - I mostly overcame my annoyance with this one towards the end. The solution to the "mystery" turned out to be more interesting and nuanced than I expected, and I found the resolutions for all three of the sisters both realistic and satisfying.
  • Disorientation, Elaine Hsieh Chou
  • The Partner Track, Helen Wan
  • Under the Banner of Heaven: A Story of Violent Faith, Jon Krakauer with Scott Brick 
  • Bright Ruined Things, Samantha Cohoe
  • Like 6

Some bookish posts ~

From Jenny Crusie's blog: This is a Good Book Thursday, May 12 2022

https://arghink.com/2022/05/this-is-a-good-book-thursday-may-12-2022/

The Paradox Hotel' Author Rob Hart Recommends Books with a Strong Sense of Place

https://strongsenseofplace.com/2022/02/22/the-paradox-hotel-author-rob-hart-recommends-books-with-a-strong-sense-of-place/

Five Books With Twisty Curses at Their Heart by Leslie Vedder

https://www.tor.com/2021/12/08/five-books-with-twisty-curses-at-their-heart/

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

I just finished a book that I quite enjoyed and that my husband (the recipient of my thoughts) could now explain to you in some detail! The book was written in French and won the prestigious Prix Goncourt.

"Who would we be if we had made different choices? Told that secret, left that relationship, written that book? We all wonder—the passengers of Air France 006 will find out.

In their own way, they were all living double lives when they boarded the plane:
     Blake, a respectable family man who works as a contract killer.
     Slimboy, a Nigerian pop star who uses his womanizing image to hide that he’s gay.
     Joanna, a Black American lawyer pressured to play the good old boys’ game to succeed with her Big Pharma client.
     Victor Miesel, a critically acclaimed yet largely obscure writer suddenly on the precipice of global fame.
    About to start their descent to JFK, they hit a shockingly violent patch of turbulence, emerging on the other side to a reality both perfectly familiar and utterly strange. As it charts the fallout of this logic-defying event, 
The Anomaly takes us on a journey from Lagos and Mumbai to the White House and a top-secret hangar.
    In Hervé Le Tellier’s most ambitious work yet, high literature follows the lead of a bingeable Netflix series, drawing on the best of genre fiction from “chick lit” to mystery, while also playfully critiquing their hallmarks. An ingenious, timely variation on the doppelgänger theme, it taps into the parts of ourselves that elude us most."

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 6

I also recently finished Potential Energy by Kim Fielding. I'd describe this as a science fiction romance featuring two men. I enjoyed this.

"When interstellar smuggler Haz Taylor loses his ship, his money, and his tattered reputation, drinking himself to death on a backwater planet seems like his only option. Then the Coalition offers him a contract to return a stolen religious artifact. Sounds simple enough, but politics can be deadly—and the artifact’s not enthusiastic about being returned.

Haz didn’t sign up to be prisoner transport, but he’s caught between a blaster and hard vacuum. Still, that doesn’t mean he can’t show his captive some kindness. It costs him nothing to give Mot the freedom to move about the ship, to eat when he’s hungry… to believe that he’s a person. It’s only until they reach Mot’s planet. Besides, the Coalition would hate it, which is reason enough.

Then he finds out what awaits Mot at home, and suddenly hard vacuum doesn’t look so bad. Haz is no hero, but he can’t consign Mot to his fate. Somewhere under the space grime, Haz has a sliver of principle. It’s probably going to get him killed, but he doesn’t have much to live for anyway…."

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 5

Last night I finished The Loneliness of the Deep Space Cargoist by JS Carter Gilson; this was a quick science fiction read. It was a pleasant read, but I am not driven to read more in the series.

"Alone. Afraid. Fighting to survive.

A collision with space debris has left a gigantic hole in Inez Stanton's ship, nearly crippling it. Inez is a cargoist, that rare breed of adventurer who takes to deep space solo, ferrying valuable cargo for the Tenth Great and Glorious Browns Company. Now she's in a race against her own rig's spaceworthiness, and that might not be the worst part.

The totalitarian Free Earth, led by the populist Brother Lin, has also lost a ship on this lane, and is intent on finding out why. The Company wants their cargo delivered and can make Inez's life very difficult if she doesn't succeed. With the nearest waystation three days away, death in the cold vacuum of space is a distinct possibility as well.

The clock is ticking for her to deliver her cargo. But will she want to when she finds out what she's actually carrying?"

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 5

I hope you feel better soon, Robin!

Kareni, because of one of your posts a few weeks back, I started listening to the Strong Sense of Place podcast and am enjoying it very much. Thank you!

The Last Days of Ptolemy Grey by Walter Mosley. This is a story of a  91 year old man in the early stages of dementia who gets his memory back for a short time and needs to sort out his memories and do what he can for his loved ones in the very little time he has left. I found the ending very satisfying and wholeheartedly recommend it! 

• Like 5

On 5/22/2022 at 12:33 AM, Robin M said:

I did a stupid thing on Thursday. Forgot I’m not as flexible as I used to be.  I attempted to shave my legs by resting my foot up on the bathroom counter. I lost my balance and landed flat on my back. Ouch! Ever felt like you were falling in slow motion? Weird. But nothing broken

I spoke too soon. Xrays revealed fractured 10th rib.  No heavy lifting for a while. My technicians are going to love me. 

• Sad 7

I bought a copy of Ionesco's play Rhinoceros. It was very funny and clever. I've been using bits of it with my kids - there's the full performance on youtube - although it would be better for high school. It isn't a difficult play to understand, but adults would get more out of it. 

My daughter and I are reading the Hive series by Janet Edwards, which has led to some interesting discussions about how society is set up, how we choose careers (in the story, the Hive chooses your career and your status), the balance between individual freedom and group happiness. It's aimed at teens.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, bookbard said:

My daughter and I are reading the Hive series by Janet Edwards, which has led to some interesting discussions about how society is set up, how we choose careers (in the story, the Hive chooses your career and your status), the balance between individual freedom and group happiness. It's aimed at teens.

I recently read and enjoyed the first book in the series. I can well imagine that it's leading to good discussions with your daughter.

Are all the volumes equally enjoyable?

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Robin M said:

I spoke too soon. Xrays revealed fractured 10th rib.  No heavy lifting for a while. My technicians are going to love me. 

Robin, so sorry about your rib. Hope that your healing is as easy and quick as can be. 

• Like 2

Ouch Robin! I'm sorry about your fall and your rib. The technicians will just have to accept it while you let yourself heal. I can easily see how that would happen and am going to be extra careful from now on when I put my leg up on the counter to shave. 

I started reading Krakatoa: The Day the World Exploded a while back but got bogged down in some of the background details. Someone suggested I try the audio book which I did. It's much easier to listen to than to read.

I'm also reading Witsec: Inside the Federal Witness Protection Program as another nonfiction.

My book club seems to have fizzled out. One woman, the one who started it, had some major life changes this year. Those included an amicable divorce and going back to work after 15 years. Another has been busy with her oldest daughter's wedding. Since we're a small group anyway, if one or two people can't make it there's almost no point in meeting. We were kind of fading before Covid and I think the pandemic did us in.

One of the women in that book club also runs one of her own and has been running it for many years (10+ I think). I was once a member but I stopped going because they tend to read the most recent best sellers and those usually don't interest me. However, I miss getting together with others and discussing books so she invited me to return and I accepted. The current book is A Bend in the StarsReviews are mixed and I'm not sure how I'll feel about it but I'm going to give it a try. Oh, and I know at least 4 others in that book club so I won't feel like a total stranger when I join them for the meeting in June. 

• Like 5

I just finished Nightwork: A Novel by Nora Roberts; this is a brand-new work of romantic suspense which I quite enjoyed.

"Greed. Desire. Obsession. Revenge . . . It’s all in a night’s work.

Harry Booth started stealing at nine to keep a roof over his ailing mother’s head, slipping into luxurious, empty homes at night to find items he could trade for precious cash. When his mother finally succumbed to cancer, he left Chicago—but kept up his nightwork, developing into a master thief with a code of honor and an expertise in not attracting attention?or getting attached.

Until he meets Miranda Emerson, and the powerful bond between them upends all his rules. But along the way, Booth has made some dangerous associations, including the ruthless Carter LaPorte, who sees Booth as a tool he controls for his own profit. Knowing LaPorte will leverage any personal connection, Booth abandons Miranda for her own safety—cruelly, with no explanation—and disappears.

But the bond between Miranda and Booth is too strong, pulling them inexorably back together. Now Booth must face LaPorte, to truly free himself and Miranda once and for all."

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 3

I finally finished Sisterhood of the Spectrum.  I didn't like it much, which is probably why it took so long to read.  Debating whether or not to give it to my kid to read.  A lot of it sounds like her, but maybe she doesn't need any encouragement for more navel-gazing.  Guess I should ask myself how I would have reacted to this book at her age.

My sister gave me an audiobook set with all the Sherlock Holmes stories, which we're listening to in the car.  So far we're still on the first one, A Study in Scarlet.

Need to decide on my next hardcopy book to read.  There's a spiral-bound book I found while cleaning, about the brain and learning challenges.  I read the first chapter and it seems interesting.  I don't remember what it's called.  I'll have to dig for it since my closet contents are all over my room now (a whole other story).

• Like 4

On 5/24/2022 at 2:24 PM, Robin M said:

Oh dear. I missed this until now. I'm so sorry! 

I fell down while out walking the dog a couple of years ago and fractured my arm just below the shoulder. It was such a shock to be reminded of how fragile bodies are (especially older bodies like mine). I hope you heal quickly and well!

• Like 2