Menu

Stupid weather! Commiserate with me.

mom2scouts

I just want to whine a bit, so I'm warning you up front.  I'm homeschooling my last child through high school. Since she was going to be the only student, I had planned that we would do several outside classes and maybe even a co-op. We usually do classes at home and only attend outside events that are hard to do without a group or that provide unusual opportunities. We didn't have a lot of options suitable for teens anyway, but Covid wiped out the few we did have. Two co-ops I'd considered, one specifically for teens, closed. The field trip group with some activities geared toward teens stopped meeting. The interesting classes offered for high school homeschoolers all stopped.

Anyway, our school year has been less than exciting. I've been looking and looking for interesting things to do nearby and finally found a group doing homeschool classes. It's an hour drive to the facility, but the activities are things DD would really enjoy, are only once a week in the afternoon for five weeks, are affordable, and are suitable for teens. Last week was supposed to be the first class. The activities are outdoors and there was freezing rain, so they canceled and rescheduled for late May. Today was supposed to be the second class. It's 35 degrees with pouring rain starting to turn to snow, so they canceled again. It's mid-April. Can't we please have some nice weather and a chance to get out of the house? Is anyone else having a tough time getting their kids out of the house to do something interesting either due to the effects of Covid or weather?

• Sad 7

I will commiserate with Oldest DD had signed up for Speed Shooting clinic for April 2020 it was canceled of course. 3 yrs later we finally get to do it.  Until the final day which is the fun one we get snow and hail.  In the desert so badly they canceled because the road is frozen and next to a ravine. They have never canceled for weather in 25 yrs. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 5

Yes. We've been super cautious about Covid but were looking forward to nicer weather between surges to do some things.

We can't throw caution to the wind because my kiddo is having a big deal surgery; there are appointments and things leading up to it that can't be missed due to illness, or else the surgery will likely be postponed (and the other surgery dates available weeks ago when we scheduled were months and months out). It can take 6 weeks to recover, so we really don't want to miss anything as that will interfere with school next year (he's headed to a brick and mortar high school). It's a private school (scholarship), and it would mess up finances to the point of having to change schools if he had to do homebound instruction (the scholarship money would eat up money for extra services vs. tuition, and we'd lose our deposits if he changes). 

I think even our understanding friends are tired of our caution. We're tired of it. 

There have been almost zero safe activities during the entire pandemic--it's not been taken seriously by people. The few safe activities offered have not had mask enforced, etc., so they have been safe in name only. There have been a few outdoor things, but there is almost always an indoor component or people getting in your face that is glossed over. 

We're all tired of working our schedule around tutoring appointments as well. They are almost all afternoons, and it breaks up the day without offering anything to look forward to. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 6

Yep, woke up to snow this morning and it has been doing that all day.  We are more than halfway through April!!  Come on.  I want the nice mild spring.  Of course it is going to be 80s on Saturday.  We are still really cautious with Covid and every place has taken away their covid protocols except for dance.  

Sending some hugs.  It has been so hard.

• Like 2

Whine with me! I think we're in the same area and the rain/snow/sleet hit us hard emotionally today. Life is a lot in so many ways right now and it would be so welcome to have something simple or mild or easier than expected, you know? Or even just average, instead of harder than usual. 

This breath in, this breath out I keep telling myself. 

I suppose it will be some consolation when spring finally arrives and everyone in a 100 mile radius is outside at the same time, gazing lovingly up at the sun 💛 

• Like 3

I live in MN. This Spring has been terrible. We have had many days in the past month with rain, snow, sleet, hail and temps in the 30s and 40s during the day and 20s at night. Its been gloomy! 

I too have only one kid left to homeschool. He is a senior and will graduate soon. He plays baseball on a local high school team and many of their games have been postponed  and they have only had one full game this season so far! I think the weather is supposed to improve by this coming weekend in the 60s! Thats a heat wave here in MN!!

• Like 1

We got quite a bit of snow for this late, and it quickly warmed up to melt, so I ignored it.  Except it didn’t quite get *all of the snow/ice/slush melted off of the front porch, and temps went back down, so taking the dog out last night and this morning in everyone’s slushy-now-frozen footsteps was NOT fun.

Honestly, I haven’t planned anything for my kids until this summer. I had been feeling guilty about that, but now it feels like it wouldn’t have mattered anyway!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, wintermom said:

We got some crazy snow all day today. Made driving a little scary. 

I had to take DD somewhere and it was snowing hard right before we had to leave. By the time we went out the door, the sun was out and the snow had stopped. Kristen0713 is right about spring being a tease. I never know whether to wear a short sleeved shirt or a winter coat!

• Like 1