Jump to content

Menu

Waitlist/Appeal essays, who reads them?


Recommended Posts

DS17 is working on his waitlist/appeal essays. We are wondering who is the target audience so that he could tailor his responses.

Temp staff were paid to read UC application essays at the approximate rate of $2.70 per application so it does makes us wonder who would be reading the appeal essays. 
 

ETA: for anyone curious https://admission.ucla.edu/contact/application-readers

Compensation Rates for Application Readers
Number of Applications Read Amount Paid
500 $1,350
600 $1,595
700 $1,840
800 $2,085
900 $2,330
1,000 $2,575

Edited by Arcadia
  • Like 1
  • Sad 7
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Roadrunner said:

I wonder if there is a way to use statewide guarantee?

https://admission.universityofcalifornia.edu/admission-requirements/freshman-requirements/california-residents/statewide-guarantee/

He is so clearly in that category, is there a way to somehow go this way?

He applied as a homeschool student though so don’t think he would be considered. We can’t see his UC GPA on the UC app unlike the CSU app which tells you their recalculated GPA. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Arcadia said:

He applied as a homeschool student though so don’t think he would be considered. We can’t see his UC GPA on the UC app unlike the CSU app which tells you their recalculated GPA. 

Is this guarantee only for PS kids?

I hate our state system. 

  • Sad 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Roadrunner said:

Is this guarantee only for PS kids?

I hate our state system. 

Looking at the hierarchy listing on that link, homeschool students are below OOS students. Also they count UC a-g approved courses, so at most his dual enrollment classes that are UC transferable would be counted. 

ECB72240-312C-479A-9572-32D8AC989D58.jpeg

  • Sad 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, Arcadia said:

Looking at the hierarchy listing on that link, homeschool students are below OOS students. Also they count UC a-g approved courses, so at most his dual enrollment classes that are UC transferable would be counted. 

ECB72240-312C-479A-9572-32D8AC989D58.jpeg

And they cap the number of honors and DE. 
I think you got hit from all sides - yield protection from some and selectivity from others. And nobody tell me homeschoolers are treated fairly by the system. I have seen what they take out of PS. Gggggggrrrrrrr

  • Sad 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, Roadrunner said:

Transfer is an easier route, but what is he going to do the entire year? 

Improve on his Chinese, Japanese and German and camp out at the community college transfer center 😉

On a serious note, we are just taking each step at a time. I just checked the UC transfer planner and his community college coursework generated a GPA of 3.87 for 69.67 semester units/104.50 quarter units. 

  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Arcadia said:

Improve on his Chinese, Japanese and German and camp out at the community college transfer center 😉

On a serious note, we are just taking each step at a time. I just checked the UC transfer planner and his community college coursework generated a GPA of 3.87 for 69.67 semester units/104.50 quarter units. 

Your patience and good attitude astounds me. I think my hair would be on fire!

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

@ArcadiaThis was many years ago when DD was in pre-primary here. When we had more income. One of the men who worked there (I will leave off his exact job at that time in case he is still there) would fly up to Miami once a year to grade AP Exams.  I think it was AP Exams or AP Essays.   They paid him about $5 USD for each one that he graded? Something like what you wrote UC says they paid their temporary application processors.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The CSU decisions are shocking. But. I can visualize his application looking like something way more suitable for Caltech  or  mit. The committee could have thought there is no way that he will actually attend csu,, and if he did what more can  csu offer him. Your son would have been a big whale in a small pond. Maybe, your appeal should focus on  the reasoning for picking csu given his credentials.

 

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Arcadia said:

His appeal is for his 1st choice UC, the waitlist essay is for his 2nd choice UC. Not UCB or UCLA.  He isn’t going to appeal for the CSUs. He is emotionally drained.

So can you argue that the new information is that he didn’t get into any UC. And even though he isn’t in PS, he is CA resident and clearly is in the top 9% of graduating class in the state, and therefore at the very minimum should be offered a spot and be treated as kids accepted with comparable credentials. You really need to get professional help drafting this letter.

 

Edited by Roadrunner
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...