Menu

Oscars/Will Smith

Mrs Tiggywinkle

In general, I’ve always enjoyed Will Smith as an actor. It feels like this is the inevitable Event that all attractive and popular male actors go through at a certain age. Tom Cruise jumped on that stupid couch. Mel Gibson was exposed as anti-Semitic. Johnny Depp is abusive (and a little weird). *sigh* Why can’t all my girlhood crushes just stay…normal?!

Edited by alisoncooks
  • Like 4
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, alisoncooks said:

In general, I’ve always enjoyed Will Smith as an actor. It feels like this is the inevitable Event that all attractive and popular male actors go through at a certain age. Tom Cruise jumped on that stupid couch. Mel Gibson was exposed as anti-Semitic. Johnny Depp is abusive (and a little weird). *sigh* Why can’t all my girlhood crushes just stay…normal?!

Sam Neill. Y’all please tell me there’s nothing scandalous about Captain Borodin. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Grace Hopper said:

This is warranted, imo. 

And it leaves me smh even now that Bradley Cooper wasn’t nominated and didn’t win for his role in Nightmare Alley. 

There was no way Will wasn't going to win.  There's been serious problems with black actors not recognized by the Academy for at least the past decade.  It was a big issue a year ago and embarrassed a crowd that very much considers themselves liberal and fair. The Academy Awards are rarely about the actual best performance.  Winning is usually political and done by promoting whatever narrative Hollywood cares about most that year.

• Like 7

37 minutes ago, Katy said:

There was no way Will wasn't going to win.  There's been serious problems with black actors not recognized by the Academy for at least the past decade.  It was a big issue a year ago and embarrassed a crowd that very much considers themselves liberal and fair. The Academy Awards are rarely about the actual best performance.  Winning is usually political and done by promoting whatever narrative Hollywood cares about most that year.

I understand, but I can still mourn over it. 

On 4/5/2022 at 5:43 PM, Melissa Louise said:

Article with an interesting perspective on what we missed while talking about the slap.

https://amp.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2022/apr/05/jay-z-beyonce-picket-line-party-celebrity-activism-oscars-chateau-marmont

No one missed JayZ and Beyonce's performative activism...unless you missed their exclusive partnerships with the NFL and Tiffany’s?

Edited by Sneezyone
  • Like 2