Menu

2 days after tooth extraction....is this the way it should look?

ProudGrandma

I just had a molar removed 2 days ago.  I am so nervous about the whole dry socket thing....and I have NO idea what is "normal" as far as healing.  My extraction site is still sore (which I know is normal), and I was told after 2 days of motrin/tylenol alternating, I am supposed to stop that....I haven't had any medicine since 3 this morning....and so far the pain is tolerable....so I guess we will see....but if you don't mind, can you tell me if my tooth socket looks "normal" for 2 days out....?  thanks.  And sorry if the pictures are gross to you...as they kind of are to me....and it's my own mouth...lol

20220316_081610.jpg

20220316_081612.jpg

Just now, fraidycat said:

And a big yes to the NO sucking, swishing, spitting or anything that can "pull" that scab out.

My SisIL had a dry socket years ago and I can still picture her writhing in pain from it. Be very, very gentle with your mouth.

yeah....and this is so hard when trying to find foods that I can eat that are actually more than yogurt and applesauce.... I am so hungry....but some of the "soft" foods I have eaten have gotten stuck in my socket hole.  The dentist sent home with me a syringe that I could use to remove food....and I have had to so that a couple times....I have been very careful and there was no blood or anything when I did it...but I was scared to death during the process...but my dentist hygienist said it would be ok...if I did it slowly and carefully....

Can someone tell me....that if I did something that would cause a dry socket, would I know immediately?  Or is it more of a gradual process...would my mouth bleed a lot too?  What happens when that clot comes out?    

oh, I do have sort of a bad taste in my mouth...but I think that is because my brushing the last couple days has been less than good.  But I also know that is a sign of dry socket or infection.  But you guys think my socket looks ok....so...I guess, I will just wait and see....

Just now, fraidycat said:

It definitely doesn't look infected from the outside. No redness, swelling around the wound, just healthy pink.

I can't say exactly what happens re:bleeding but from my 2nd hand experience with my SIL, the pain was acute. 

ok...great.  The pain I have is more of an achiness....not sharp or intense....but the longer I stay off the motrin, the more pain I feel...so I am not sure if it's ok to take something or not.  The pain is also part of the injection sites, I think....or the area around the socket....but it's hard to tell too. 

I have to be "on" today at my job for about 45 minutes....but other than that, I don't have to do more than that....sigh!

I have had a few extractions, and stayed on pain meds longer than 2 days.  I also experienced pain in the injection areas, and swelling from having my mouth open or whatever.  I think I would accidentally make my pain worse by holding my mouth/jaw kind of tight, subconsciously trying to protect everything.  If I concentrated on relaxing, it would feel better.  

If you are still hurting, I would call the dentist to get clarification on their medication recommendations.  Maybe you could just stop the motrin, and use tylenol. 

40 minutes ago, kfeusse said:

yeah....and this is so hard when trying to find foods that I can eat that are actually more than yogurt and applesauce.... I am so hungry....but some of the "soft" foods I have eaten have gotten stuck in my socket hole.  

Dueling is having his wisdom teeth out today. 

Quiche- without crust

Pumpkin pie - without crust. 

I took a couple more pictures using a flash....and it shows some whiteness on my gums....but I don't know if that is normal either.....I can see the whiteness when I look at my gums...but it didn't show up on my first photos....I can also see a sore on the side of my mouth that might be adding to my pain...since I can't really tell where the pain is coming from...

do you guys think anything differently after looking at these pictures? 

20220316_095137.jpg

20220316_095142.jpg

My family has had so many extractions, because dh has bad teeth and my teens’ adult teeth don’t come in straight, so baby teeth get pulled with long roots.  I think it looks ok.  It’s totally ok to take something for pain 3 days out.  One of ds’ extractions was more painful than others and he needed meds for more than 2 days.  

As far as food goes, try some soup or pasta.  Anything that’s doesn’t require a lot of chewing.  Stay away from chips, because if a sharp corner pokes it, it will hurt.

• Like 3

I think it looks ok too and just adding in another big vote on no sucking, spitting, swishing, etc. I would also think it’s absolutely fine to continue Tylenol. I’d probably take ibuprofen, too, but you’d want to make sure it’s ok with your dentist. 

I’d be eating lots of noodle soup, ramen, cup o noodles, milkshakes, etc—anything that you can just swallow without chewing and has very little potential of getting stuck in the hole. Even cleaning out the hole would make me super nervous!

2 minutes ago, mmasc said:

I think it looks ok too and just adding in another big vote on no sucking, spitting, swishing, etc. I would also think it’s absolutely fine to continue Tylenol. I’d probably take ibuprofen, too, but you’d want to make sure it’s ok with your dentist. 

I’d be eating lots of noodle soup, ramen, cup o noodles, milkshakes, etc—anything that you can just swallow without chewing and has very little potential of getting stuck in the hole. Even cleaning out the hole would make me super nervous!

called the dentist....I can continue with OTC meds for another day or two....never thought about Ramen noodles....I haven't eaten that since college, a thousand years ago...lol....I did try mac-n cheese and that worked ok as long as I didn't chew (like you said)....but swallowing whole noodles freaked me out a bit too....

I have been eating yogurt, applesauce, pudding and ice cream....but that is getting old fast....and doesn't really fill me up.  Oh well...hoping this doesn't last to for too much longer. 

• Like 1

Braunschweiger is our go-to meat after tooth stuff.  I guess it's my German heritage that we just love it at my house.

Refried beans?  Chicken broth?

I actually did better with chewing stuff, just on the other side of my mouth, because then I didn't accidentally suck down my yogurt or pudding, which apparently is how I normally eat it.  

I actually just had an extraction yesterday! I found this by searching what it should look like and am relieved to know I am not the only one obsessing about it!! LOL. Yesterday my clot looked bigger than today so I was concerned that something happened while I was sleeping. Mine looks a lot like yours, however my extraction site is slightly larger/deeper. Best of luck to you. I've been eating mashed potatoes today and creamy tomato soup with soft crescent rolls that I kind of moosh on the opposite side of my mouth prior to swallowing. Cream of wheat with some maple syrup was good this morning too.  

21 minutes ago, bvine said:

I actually just had an extraction yesterday! I found this by searching what it should look like and am relieved to know I am not the only one obsessing about it!! LOL. Yesterday my clot looked bigger than today so I was concerned that something happened while I was sleeping. Mine looks a lot like yours, however my extraction site is slightly larger/deeper. Best of luck to you. I've been eating mashed potatoes today and creamy tomato soup with soft crescent rolls that I kind of moosh on the opposite side of my mouth prior to swallowing. Cream of wheat with some maple syrup was good this morning too.  

thanks for the food ideas....I was just trying to decide what I was going to eat....

I am still in pain...and taking OTC pain meds....and I am not sure if that is ok...since my extraction was on Monday...but I can't tolerate the pain without them.  The pain isn't getting worse....but it is still there....

Long ago when I had my wisdom teeth out, one became infected. I had an odd taste in my mouth that I would describe as “metallic”, and the pain was beyond what otc meds could handle - they would help, but only for a short time, and then the pain was back with a vengeance. It was one of the more miserable times in my life.

It sounds like nothing you’re dealing with is that bad so that’s probably a good sign, though that one experience is all I really know about it.