Menu

Dental implants with extractions - question about anesthesia used

Kassia

DH is having two dental implants and extractions and has the choice between general anesthesia (he really doesn't want to do this), local, or local plus nitrous oxide or whatever they use for conscious sedation. 

He's had a lot of dental work done and doesn't get anxious about it but he has had procedures where they had to use a block to keep his mouth cranked open for a long time and he said that was very uncomfortable so he's thinking about the conscious sedation but isn't sure if that would make a difference with the discomfort or if it would just make him more relaxed.  

I was wondering if anyone had any experience/advice they could share about this. 

Thanks!  

2 minutes ago, Kassia said:

DH is having two dental implants and extractions and has the choice between general anesthesia (he really doesn't want to do this), local, or local plus nitrous oxide or whatever they use for conscious sedation. 

He's had a lot of dental work done and doesn't get anxious about it but he has had procedures where they had to use a block to keep his mouth cranked open for a long time and he said that was very uncomfortable so he's thinking about the conscious sedation but isn't sure if that would make a difference with the discomfort or if it would just make him more relaxed.  

I was wondering if anyone had any experience/advice they could share about this. 

Thanks!  

My experience with conscious sedation is that I'm not actually what I would call conscious, lol. Apparently I can respond/move as needed, but you couldn't prove that by me. I never have any memory of the procedure. 

5/5 stars, would buy again. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I had the screw part implanted recently with just local anesthesia. My dentist assured me that was all that was needed.  I was a little apprehensive, but it was relatively easy. But I was just having the implant, not multiple extractions and multiple implants. That’s a lot in one visit, so he  certainly may need more sedation.

(FWIW, my dentist won’t do extractions and implants at the same time. He wants six weeks or so for healing after the extraction before starting the implant.)

• Thanks 1

Conscious sedation is *amazing*.  I went in to have an implant inserted and a wisdom tooth pulled at the same time.  I remember sitting in the chair and studying the large painting on the wall.  A minute later they were done.  I hadn’t realized they had started.  And clearly my sense of time was non-existent!  Highly recommend.  Much easier to come back to full consciousness than full sedation too. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Pawz4me said:

(FWIW, my dentist won’t do extractions and implants at the same time. He wants six weeks or so for healing after the extraction before starting the implant.)

I'm wondering if this might be the case for him.  He's going to call for more info tomorrow.

Thanks everyone!  You made him very happy about the sedation.  🙂

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Pawz4me said:

Well, the oral surgeon's office just called and said they will do both extractions and implants during the same appointment.  I am surprised but it's a long drive and it will be nice to get it all done at once if it goes well.

• Like 1

I had my tooth pulled and the implant implanted the same day/time. They did the conscious sedation (apparently I was 'conscious' enough to walk from the back to where they monitor you as you wait to be approved to leave.) I remember nothing before becoming aware that it was over and I was in the waiting area and someone was talking to me.  There really wasn't a lot of pain after that - slight discomfort/maybe some swelling, but it seemed better than when my kids got their wisdom teeth out (same place).  I did have to go back a while later so they could do some sort of scan/mold to make the fake tooth crown that got put on the implant - but I think that might have been a couple of months later after I had totally healed. 

ETA: The oral surgeon place was where I had my scan/mold done, but my regular dentist was the one who installed it. There was a placeholder (?maybe not the correct term!) screw in the implant that they sent back to the  oral surgeon for reuse later (I asked if I could have it, after all, we spent several months together!)

Edited by Bambam

14 hours ago, katilac said:

My experience with conscious sedation is that I'm not actually what I would call conscious, lol. Apparently I can respond/move as needed, but you couldn't prove that by me. I never have any memory of the procedure. 

5/5 stars, would buy again. 

Lol. I'm sold!!

• Like 2

I had an extraction and implant done in the same visit under local. The pressure of the extraction was uncomfortable, though not painful; the discomfort mainly arose from the sensation that it was going to start being painful any second, if that makes sense. But that aside, local was plenty. I do agree that having my mouth cranked open that long was a discomfort as well, and I can imagine that would increase if he’s having two done. I think they have a device that keeps your mouth open, but allows you to relax your jaw, so that might be something to ask the oral surgeon about. 

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Forget-Me-Not said:

I had an extraction and implant done in the same visit under local. The pressure of the extraction was uncomfortable, though not painful; the discomfort mainly arose from the sensation that it was going to start being painful any second, if that makes sense. But that aside, local was plenty. I do agree that having my mouth cranked open that long was a discomfort as well, and I can imagine that would increase if he’s having two done. I think they have a device that keeps your mouth open, but allows you to relax your jaw, so that might be something to ask the oral surgeon about. 

Thank you!  

The discomfort you described about the sensation of anticipating pain is why I hate dental work so much.  I find myself on edge the whole time just waiting for sensitivity/pain.  I've had problems in the past with locals not working well and I'm always fearful there will be a spot (or more) that hasn't been numbed.  

• Like 1