Menu

Grammar intensive for middle school?

ScoutTN

I like Easy Grammar for my 6th graders at  a homeschool hybrid. Teaching kids  to cross out the prepositional phrase makes all future grammar so much easier. I also do IEW's Fix It and add in my own diagramming unit that I have developed. 

If I was doing it with my own kid at home. I would use Rod and Staff grade 5. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Second time through Analytical Grammar here and I'm having my 7th grader finish out the book so that next year can be just the occasional review exercise from the reinforcement book. With my older two, doing grammar in 8th grade took time from other things we were more interested in. If my current grammarian gets through officially learning all of the grammar rules, then we can focus on addressing any lapses as we come to them.

• Like 3

Analytical Grammar has been good for us. We went through FLL 1-4. Then older child did GWTM Purple, while younger did Growing with Grammar.

GWTM Purple was difficult to teach and the layout was not going to work for my younger child, who needs clean uncluttered pages.

Growing with Grammar was waaaay too easy and didn’t really promote understanding of concepts or long term retention.

We switched to AG this year for my younger kid, and it’s been great. The text is written to the student, and is clear and to the point. DS, who has ADHD, has been able to use it 99% independently. I do break up the practice so he’s not doing a whole page each day. I think that having the FLL background really helped to make this a smooth transition. If we were going in with zero grammar background, I’d probably do Junior AG first.

I switched DD to the AG highschool review book. It’s not as comprehensive as GWTM but the concepts that arise most often in day to day usage are covered well. This is the last year that I plan to have DD do grammar, as she has a strong foundation.

• Like 3

My now young adult son repeatedly thanked me during his college years for making him do Analytical Grammar during middle school. He did not enjoy it and we basically ended up doing it orally together, but it is an excellent program. It’s the only complete grammar program we ever did. I was determined not to repeat my k12 experience of some weak grammar program taught every year. What an incredible waste of time.

• Like 2

Re: Analytical Grammar

I want to mention that I usually have dc do, say ½ the exercise problems. If they get the concept we move on. We also skip the paraphrasing exercises. I photocopy the tests. If they score below a B we circle back, do the rest of the exercises, and then retake the test. Doing all of everything was making grammar take too long, and the abridged version has worked well.

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...