Menu

Adoption gift/shower-for teen

LifeLovePassion

I'd like to get something for a friend who will soon be finalizing an adoption of a teen out of foster care. She moved in with them last summer so there are no immediate practical needs. I'd love your ideas. I had thought of making her a quilt, but through conversations, she's been gifted quite a few blankets along the way, so that's a no. 

🙂 Happy Friday everyone!

• Like 3

So nice of you to do this.  When I adopted, I/my kids got very little, even though we were a part of a church that gave huge bridal and baby showers.

Another idea is a gift certificate to somewhere special she might like to go to eat, a spa day with mom or ???

Also, not knowing her situation, while there is great joy in adoption, there is also heartache and loss and grief of a birth family that couldn't be.

• Like 8

You are very thoughtful to want to mark/ celebrate this milestone.

If there are no immediate practical needs, I'd maybe think in the direction of documenting the milestone (separate journals for adoptive mom, dad, teen; a gift certificate for a professional family photo shoot; volunteer to make & address announcement card, etc) or creating new-family memories (membership to local museum, subscription to local theater, strip of mini-golf passes, whatever they like).

• Like 2

If she is changing her name, matching T-shirts for everyone with the family name on them? My daughter would wear it as a pajama shirt, so I would  go extra soft on the fabric. You can make it like a sports jersey with the year, or just the name.  The year may make it more memorable, but leaving the year off, may be nice since it emphasizes the family itself and not when they became a family. 

Edited by Tap

Do you know how she likes to spend her time? Some ideas that may or may not be appropriate, depending on interests, cost & availability:

mother/daughter manicures or spa day

gift certificate for book store, a store relevant to her hobbies or a clothing store

gift certificate for a class of some kind - photography (to record new memories), quilting or other crafts like pottery or jewelry making (to create family heirlooms)

A charm bracelet with a few charms - something to represent the past, the present and the future, for example. You would need to talk to her mom to see if “the past” is appropriate at all & if so, what. If not, you could do a charm that represents “the now” and one for the “still to come.” 

11 hours ago, Katy said:

I would ask rather than making a guess. Some of these kids are very mature, others are years behind. 

When we adopted a 9 year old what I wanted was for people to see him as an individual.  We cocooned pretty intensively between ptsd/attachment issues and medical issues, so people didn’t meet him in person, but it meant so much if someone asked me about him and gave a gift that reflected that they knew he was a little guy who loved chess and Harry Potter rather than guessing and giving him something with a generic boy theme like Star Wars or baseball.

So ask and find out if she’s the kind of girl who would like a piece of sparkly jewelry to commemorate the events or tickets to a college basketball game with her parents.

• Like 6