Menu

Funnels

KungFuPanda

Who owns a wide kitchen funnel that fits into spaghetti jars?  I have a canning funnel that seems to be the exact same size as these jars, so it doesn't nest inside.  I have a regular funnel for liquids that is too small for this application.  Does anyone know what I'm talking about or what I'm looking for?  I reuse jars for EVERYTHING so I'm just making messes all the time.  I just want to put the leftover sauce, after I've added meat, back into the jar without it running down the sides.

My husband’s unused car oil change funnel is about the right size if reusing pasta sauce jars. Or get a dollar store/Daiso funnel and cut abit off the tip so that the pasta sauce can go through. 

I do have something like this set of nesting funnels and they work. 

https://www.amazon.com/Stainless-Kitchen-Spilling-Transferring-Ingredients/dp/B08YRNHXG3/

56 minutes ago, happi duck said:

I think I know what you mean.  It sounds like your canning funnel is specifically wide-mouth.  A normal canning funnel might fit the jars you're using.

I have a regular canning funnel and have the same issue that the OP has. 

Many spaghetti (and picante sauce) jars are just a smidge to small for the regular canning funnel to fit in  I have a funnel that is in between the size of a regular funnel and a canning funnel that I picked up in a store in Europe.  I haven't seen any like in in the US but haven't done an exhaustive search.  Even with it, I find the necks of the spaghetti jars a bit more difficult to use than a regular-sized canning jar neck.  So, we mostly use this slightly-smaller ring jars for liquids and itmes that will go through the narrow funnel. 

8 hours ago, Bootsie said:

Many spaghetti (and picante sauce) jars are just a smidge to small for the regular canning funnel to fit in  

<snip>

My grandma told me the spaghetti jar manufacturers made them smaller mouthed on purpose so people wouldn't try to can veggies in the inferior quality glass jars. If the lids don't fit, they can't be pressurized safely.  (I don't know if that is true or not, but grandma was a smart lady. 😉 )

She actually made me promise to never can in a jar that didn't have Mason, Ball, or Kerr  formed in the actual glass of the jar.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mathnerd said:

I have a collapsible silicone set with various sizes like this: 

https://www.amazon.com/Kitchen-Funnels-Silicone-Collapsible-Transfer/dp/B08QYJNCQW

There are several such sets on amazon and Bed Bath and Beyond and you could find the exact size you need and get them.

I have found that the variation in the mouth size of these types of sets is very small.  While the capacity of the funnel is larger by size, the size of what can go through the funnel is barely any larger for the small to medium size funnels--you really have to graduate to the canning jar size to be able to get anything types of beans or similar through them easily.  

On 12/28/2021 at 12:45 PM, Bootsie said:

Many spaghetti (and picante sauce) jars are just a smidge to small for the regular canning funnel to fit in  I have a funnel that is in between the size of a regular funnel and a canning funnel that I picked up in a store in Europe.  I haven't seen any like in in the US but haven't done an exhaustive search.  Even with it, I find the necks of the spaghetti jars a bit more difficult to use than a regular-sized canning jar neck.  So, we mostly use this slightly-smaller ring jars for liquids and itmes that will go through the narrow funnel. 

This is the exact nature of my problem.  All of these sauce jars are the exact same size as my funnel.  Now I'm just holding it in place and hoping it works out.  

On 12/28/2021 at 8:29 PM, klmama said:

I only reuse jars my canning funnel fits in. Otherwise, I use canning jars.

That's probably the most sensible option, but I like to learn the hard way.

On 12/28/2021 at 11:49 PM, fairfarmhand said:

I think this might be exactly what I need.  Thank you.  It's in my amazon cart.

Guys, I forgot I even started this thread.  Part of me was convinced that I was just thinking about posting this question.

1 hour ago, KungFuPanda said:

Now I'm just holding it in place and hoping it works out.  

My DH who is too lazy to wash funnels when using them for liquids has a cheap hack: take a glossy magazine page or brochure (has to be glossy to repel liquids otherwise thick paper will do). Roll it into a funnel shape of the size you want, hold it firmly with one hand so as to not unravel it and transfer your items into the jar. For complicated transfers or more than one use or for those who are not nifty enough, put a small piece of cellotape or painter's tape on funnel paper ends to stabilize the funnel shape before transferring your items to jars. Discard your paper funnel in the recycle bin or trash (if dirty) after use.

1 hour ago, KungFuPanda said:

This is the exact nature of my problem.  All of these sauce jars are the exact same size as my funnel.  Now I'm just holding it in place and hoping it works out.  

That's probably the most sensible option, but I like to learn the hard way.

I think this might be exactly what I need.  Thank you.  It's in my amazon cart.

Guys, I forgot I even started this thread.  Part of me was convinced that I was just thinking about posting this question.

I own it and just measured the opening. It’s a tiny bit under 1.5 inches in diameter