Menu

30 Days of Gratitude Challenge - Day 21

Granny_Weatherwax

It's a bit overcast here this morning and it just feels like autumn. A little bit of rain. Leaves falling. A nice cup of chai.

Today we are showing gratitude for our hamlet, town, or city.

Name three things you enjoy about where you live.

Action step: Pick up trash in your neighborhood. Donate to a local charity. Send an email to your mayor thanking him/her for what he/she has done for your area. Contact a friend or talk to a family member about how you can show gratitude for your town and plan a service project; complete that project within the next two weeks.

• Like 3

This one is difficult for me. I will remain positive, however.

1- I have an indoor tennis facility to play in year round.

2- There are four distinct seasons and each is beautiful.

3- We have a wonderful library with helpful librarians.

Action step: I will write to our mayor. It's been years since I have written to a political figure and it will be out of my comfort zone to do so.

Edited: I did it. I wrote on our mayor's FB page. My words were chosen carefully to be nonpartisan and positive. I am so proud of myself.

Edited by Granny_Weatherwax
  • Like 2

I need more gratitude today, so here goes.

1. We have an absolutely gorgeous downtown park.

2. My town has fun traditions around most of the traditional US holidays, and some organizations are starting to bring a spotlight on different cultures' holidays.

3. My neighborhood has about 100 grandparent type people in my neighborhood who watch out for my kids.

4. Bonus one that was very important to my kids - small town parades mean a ton of free candy thrown from each and every float.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

This one is unique for me because we have only lived in our small town for 3 months; however, it is the town my parents and grandparents were raised in. I lived here until I was 4 and moved almost an hour away. I moved back here after graduating college and lived in my grandparents' basement while dh and I dated. I moved away after we married. Because my extended family lived here, I spent many, many days here: weekend visits, week long stays in the summer, holidays, etc. Holidays and family gatherings continued with my own family as we would gather here at my grandmother's house. I have loved ones buried less than a mile from my new home. I'm grateful we were able to move back here. 

1. I love the memories I have here and the feeling of home they bring. Even though we don't know many people here now, it is so familiar that it does feel like home. We were even able to get the post office box number that had been in my family for over 75 years with both my grandparents and her parents using it. I just met a man who knew my great-grandfather I never got to meet. 

2. I love that it is less than an hour drive to each of our children. We would have been 2.5-3 hours away had we stayed in our previous town. I just got to have lunch with ds Friday and dd yesterday. 

3. I love that we live near the base of a beautiful mountain. The foothill mountain ranges of northwest GA and east TN are lovely and bring peace to me since they have been such a huge part of my life. 

Edited by mom31257
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I really like a lot of things about where we live.  Do I really have to pick only 3 things?  OK but I am gonna cheat.

• Physical location - suburban, temperate with four seasons, a 15 minute drive to a big city with world class orchestra, museums/zoo, medical, professional sports, dozens of universities, 15 minute drive to the airport, about an hour's drive to all of my immediate family, and less than a day's drive to some of the biggest cities / cultural centers in the USA.  Also I live on top of a hill, so I get pretty good views.  🙂
  • Award winning local amenities that we use regularly - especially our library system and parks system.
  • Diversity of people and ideologies.

Not sure how to fit my kids' school-related activities.  I love that the schools provide interesting and inclusive physical, social, and artistic outlets.  Maybe this is/was the subject of a different day....

Action - not sure if I'll get outside much today, because it's cold and rainy, but if I do, I'll try picking up some trash or whatever.  I already did some of the suggested "action items" yesterday, LOL.  Well ... maybe I could round up some additional donations ....

Edited by SKL
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I like my neighborhood.   It’s great for dog walking, golf cart riding, cycling, whatever.  My neighbors are great.   It’s a mature neighborhood, so trees everywhere and old and young houses.   I’m in town just blocks from everything.  
Other than this little town, I’m not really crazy about where I live.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

We live in an eco-estate a bit out of town and I appreciate 1) safety - crime is a huge problem in the country and our estate is relatively safe.  The distance from town helps and we have good security. 2) living in the bush in the summer.  Our house is a freezer in winter and poorly heated, but this time of year I love it.  Our garden in lush and green and full of birds and small animals 3) the friends we have in the community.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I have two cities I call home. The one I was born in and the one that became home.

Home town

- My family has deep roots going back generations. 

- Played a large part in who I am and what I value.

- It has changed and expanded, but there is a familiarity there that no other place on earth has even if I have not lived there in years.

The city we call home now

- Our neighborhood. It was a leap of faith because it was a new build and it has grown with us, our lives. It is such a part of why we chose to stay and never move.

- Our Public school. It was one of the reasons we bought the house. Again a leap of faith, but it has proven again and again to be a good one especially during the pandemic.

- I grew up in one house  until I moved away and especially as an immigrant, finding home was important and something I yearned for. It took years but this city gave me that which no other place on earth except my hometown has ever given me. 

For me, home is a feeling. It is not the amenities, culture, nature, cost of living, the size of a house, jobs. All these things are important and matter a lot.  But ultimately it is a feeling that no place in the world gives you I think.

I am fortunate to have travelled a lot. Yet when the plane lands in my hometown and my adopted hometown, it is a feeling like no other. The feeling of home. 

I feel immensely grateful that I call two cities home.

Like Winne the Pooh said, there really is no place like home. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1