Menu

Easy ways to preserve peppers?

Arcadia

I have home grown bird's eye chili/Thai chili/cili padi and ghost peppers. I have made Chinese style chili oil with my previous batch of thai chili. I am too lazy to can them. My ninja air fryer has a dehydrator mode but I haven’t tried yet.
Any suggestions?

Also any tried and tested recipes for pepper flakes?

Remove the stems and wash the thai chilli very well in running water. Then mix 1 cup of white vinegar and 1 Tablespoon of salt in a gallon of water and soak the chillies in it for 20 minutes. This is for sanitizing. Then, fish them out, rinse them again to get rid of vinegar smell and wrap in a clean kitchen towel to blot all the water out. Then, chop them into pieces on a clean cutting board using a clean knife and store in a freezer ziplock bag in your freezer. They last for a year or more for me and the taste never changes. I take out whatever my recipe calls for all year long.

(I add some crushed to my gochugaru when I make my kimchi).

Edited by mathnerd
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Or the even lazier way is stick them all whole in a freezer bag and freeze them. Take them out one at a time to use them. They don't work for eating fresh, but are great for cooking. The smaller Thai chilies you might be able to just leave on the counter top and let them dry out. I've had success with that.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, livetoread said:

. The smaller Thai chilies you might be able to just leave on the counter top and let them dry out. I've had success with that.

My ghost peppers look like they are going to dry out. My husband is just worried they will spoil since this is our first ghost pepper harvest out of two pots of ghost pepper plants.

I rinse and chop bell pepper/sweet peppers and then throw in freezer bags.

I freeze other peppers (we have a couple different hot peppers) whole.  This is mostly so that when I grab from the freezer I can easily tell if its a hot or sweet pepper. 

I chop/slice the hot ones while frozen-- easier for me. 

Edited by Zoo Keeper
  • Like 2

For the ones that you think you can't salvage you can always just toss them back in your garden bed and hope a few volunteer plants will sprout up next year. We've gotten volunteer plants this way (well it always happens with tomatoes but we'v gotten a few free pepper plants).

• Like 1