Menu

Where Should The Boys Attend Highschool?

Our home school runs with the calendar, so we'll be starting 9th grade in January. It just occurred to me last night that I don't know the name of their high school.

They've gone to
Gils Elementary Academy for Ruffians (GEAR) and are finishing up their 8th grade at Gils Intermediary for Zealous Mathematicians pursuing Other Studies (GIZMOS), and I really need to come up with...something.

I'm 90% sure that I'm keeping the theme of GEARs, GIZMOs, so I have kept GADGET High in the back of my mind for a long time.

Gils Advanced D_____ G____ E____ Technology?

I don't want to use our Last Name or Street Name in the title.
I absolutely hate the part of the state that I currently live in, so I don't want to pay homage to it with a name.
I don't want to name it after the part of the state that I do like because I don't want my kids education associated with its reputation. (The Boys aren't from that part of the the state, I am)

They really loved their previous schools, and they like telling people that they went to GEAR for elementary or are currently enrolled in GIZMOs, etc.
I remember years ago, saying "well, I've got a few years to come up with the Highschool name" and now I've got a couple of months. I need a nifty acronym....
They want a "fun" school name for High School too.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

In Germany, "gymnasium" is the most advanced of the three types of German secondary schools. So maybe: 

Gil's Academic and Disciplined Gymnasium for Excellent Tutelage
or
Gil's Advanced and Detailed Guidance for Education and Training

A few word ideas for playing "mix and match" 😉 :

Advanced . . . Dedicated . . . Great . . . . . Exceptional . . . Technology
Academy . . . .Department . . Guided . . . Establishment . .Teaching
Academic . . . Disciplined . . . Guidance . Education(al) . . Training
Academia . . . Direction . . . . .Group . . . . Edification . . . . .Tutelage
Awesome . . . .Detailed . . . . . Grand . . . . Elucidation . . . . Tutor
Approach

ETA -- or, perhaps more in the same line as GEAR and GIZMOs...

Gil's Advanced Department of young Gentlemen Educating with Total elan
or
Gil's Adroit Dudes Gaining Education with Tremendous elan

😉

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 9

9 hours ago, Gil said:

Oh, what if I open up that first G and A?

Gentleman's Academy for Dynamic, General & Elective Training

What do your guys say? Any input from them? Do they prefer the consistency of starting with "Gil's" again -- if so "gentlemen" can be your second "G"...

18 hours ago, Lori D. said:

What do your guys say? Any input from them? Do they prefer the consistency of starting with "Gil's" again -- if so "gentlemen" can be your second "G"...

One says it should be "Gil's" again and the other says it shouldn't be Gil's so that it sounds "more official" down the line.

• 3 weeks later...

Still can't find the perfect name. Or even a good one.

Last night I thought of GADGETSS: Gils Academy for Developing Generally Excellent and Technologically Superior Students

Ugh! This is maddening.

Someone suggested that GADGET might not be the right word to build the acronym around.

• Haha 2

On 10/19/2021 at 4:57 AM, cintinative said:

This thread is totally not about what I thought it was about. LOL. 

Same! For some reason, I felt a little disappointed when I first saw it, like "Oh, Gil's sending the boys to school for high school. I wouldn't have thought it." So, I never opened it. I'm glad I finally did 😁.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

So, school starts in 4 days and we don't have a finalized name. I don't want to use an "S". They'd prefer GADGET to GADGETS because

We all agree that matriculating through
GEAR
GIZMO
GADGET

has a better, more satisfying ring to it than matriculating through
GEAR
GIZMO
GADGETS

Unfortunately "Technic" is a noun, but not a place. I need to find a good T-word that suitably ends the acronym.

• Haha 1