Menu

How would I distinguish a cold from a ½ vax covid?

PeterPan

I've had the *1st* of my Moderna (about a month ago) and am currently sick. I don't seem to be running a fever or if I am it's super slight (1 degree). Significant headache, runny nose, congestion with no body aches first day but more overall fatigue/malaise today. 

I have appointments this week, so I went ahead and scheduled a test for the soonest I could get (Tuesday) just to be sure. But how would I distinguish them? I had a few years there where every time I got ANY bug it went right to pneumonia. I successfully got the flu (I think) on my cruise right before the shut down. I haven't had a normal cold in years, lol.

What's weird is the congestion is not going down into my lungs yet. They feel a little inflamed, a *little* wheezy. Guess I could go ahead and check them, maybe do an inhaler. I had upped my turmeric to double (8 capsules a day, almost 8gr) two weeks ago trying to beat the inflammation from the tinnitus, so I assume that's why they're staying tidy so far. 

I know I got coughed on/near by someone a couple weeks ago, but I don't remember the specifics and have no identifiers to know what the impolite person had. I just knew that after that my body had tried to fight it off (got a teensy sore throat for a night like it was thinking about it) and didn't. So I'm not surprised I'm sick, but I'm not sure Delta/covid would do that, would it? That's pretty much my norm with other viruses, some kind of drawn out will I/won't I fight it off thing that finally results in me getting sick eventually. 

My O2 levels are good (98). I'm just surprised by the fatigue I guess. I had been looking at this chart https://www.healthline.com/health-news/flu-allergies-coronavirus-different-symptoms#Allergies-have-chronic-symptoms  and I guess it's a cold. I would just hate for it to have been covid and not realize it. 

I'll go check my peak flow and see if it looks ok. I don't *think* this is the flu or I would have asked for Tamiflu. It's all head stuff, with headache and congestion of sinuses into ears. I'm not quite to mac truck (infection) tired, but I'm definitely tired. 

Ok, I'm back and I'm disgusted. My numbers on the peak flow meter were bouncing all over, which is what happens when my lungs are a mess. They're not crazy low, but I went ahead and did my inhaler. So my body is fighting what is going on in my lungs, which is why I'm getting more tired. Rats, rats, rats. 

• Sad 5

I think it's really hard to distinguish right now. My coworker who is sick w/ Covid thought she had a cold. Headache, nose stuff, etc. It took a few days to move to her chest and she started experiencing shortness of breath at about the 7 day mark.

Testing is the way to know - I'll keep my fingers crossed that you feel better soon!! 

• Thanks 2

1 minute ago, mlktwins said:

Do you have any of the at home test kits to take before you can get a PCR test?

Nope, never done one at all. I lay *very* low socially, lol. 

I was able to snag one of these new ID NOW tests for tomorrow. I'm kind of under the impression they're reasonably accurate/sensitive, more so than the rapid antigen, right? It says they get you results in 24 hours. 

But you're right, it would be smart if I had those onhand. Would have been even smarter if I had scheduled the test just as soon as I thought I was getting sick. Then it would have been easier to schedule, sigh. I was so hopeful it would just be a nothing. And maybe it is. 

30 minutes ago, AmandaVT said:

I think it's really hard to distinguish right now. My coworker who is sick w/ Covid thought she had a cold. Headache, nose stuff, etc. It took a few days to move to her chest and she started experiencing shortness of breath at about the 7 day mark.

Can I ask if she was vax or partial vax or no vax? That's kind of wild that it took 7 days to move into her lungs. 

Well I did get a test scheduled for tomorrow. It's a bit of a hassle, but I can get it done. I just don't know what happens if I wake up tomorrow and I'm mack truck tired (ie. it has gone to infection). I guess at that point I'll just call the doctor and let them sort it out. I actually have one, lol. 

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, PeterPan said:

I've had the *1st* of my Moderna (about a month ago) and am currently sick. I don't seem to be running a fever or if I am it's super slight (1 degree). Significant headache, runny nose, congestion with no body aches first day but more overall fatigue/malaise today. 

I have appointments this week, so I went ahead and scheduled a test for the soonest I could get (Tuesday) just to be sure. But how would I distinguish them? I had a few years there where every time I got ANY bug it went right to pneumonia. I successfully got the flu (I think) on my cruise right before the shut down. I haven't had a normal cold in years, lol.

What's weird is the congestion is not going down into my lungs yet. They feel a little inflamed, a *little* wheezy. Guess I could go ahead and check them, maybe do an inhaler. I had upped my turmeric to double (8 capsules a day, almost 8gr) two weeks ago trying to beat the inflammation from the tinnitus, so I assume that's why they're staying tidy so far. 

I know I got coughed on/near by someone a couple weeks ago, but I don't remember the specifics and have no identifiers to know what the impolite person had. I just knew that after that my body had tried to fight it off (got a teensy sore throat for a night like it was thinking about it) and didn't. So I'm not surprised I'm sick, but I'm not sure Delta/covid would do that, would it? That's pretty much my norm with other viruses, some kind of drawn out will I/won't I fight it off thing that finally results in me getting sick eventually. 

My O2 levels are good (98). I'm just surprised by the fatigue I guess. I had been looking at this chart https://www.healthline.com/health-news/flu-allergies-coronavirus-different-symptoms#Allergies-have-chronic-symptoms  and I guess it's a cold. I would just hate for it to have been covid and not realize it. 

I'll go check my peak flow and see if it looks ok. I don't *think* this is the flu or I would have asked for Tamiflu. It's all head stuff, with headache and congestion of sinuses into ears. I'm not quite to mac truck (infection) tired, but I'm definitely tired. 

Ok, I'm back and I'm disgusted. My numbers on the peak flow meter were bouncing all over, which is what happens when my lungs are a mess. They're not crazy low, but I went ahead and did my inhaler. So my body is fighting what is going on in my lungs, which is why I'm getting more tired. Rats, rats, rats. 

Most of my family had RSV in later September.  They got tested for COVID, and flu, and had neither.  But since the main symptoms were coughing and nothing else, and RSV was going around a lot- I am sure that is what they had.  Why I, on so many immunosuppressants didn't get it - I have no idea.  But I didn't get it even though I was sleeping right next to dh who had it.

It took about 2.5 to 3 weeks for them to stop coughing.

• Thanks 1

I’m glad you were able to get an earlier test scheduled. How many days from symptom onset will that be? Unfortunately, with Delta, one shot is not nearly as effective as it was with Alpha. Delta really requires two for maximum protection. How effective is the first shot of the Pfizer or Moderna vaccine?

Protection against hospitalization is still quite good, though. Hopefully it’s something else, though. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, KSera said:

I’m glad you were able to get an earlier test scheduled. How many days from symptom onset will that be? Unfortunately, with Delta, one shot is not nearly as effective as it was with Alpha. Delta really requires two for maximum protection. How effective is the first shot of the Pfizer or Moderna vaccine?

Protection against hospitalization is still quite good, though. Hopefully it’s something else, though. 

Doesn't matter that two shots would be nice. I plan to finish shot 2 before my winter time cruises. I'm still doing treatments for my concussions, which are not compatible with the shots. I took a break off to do shot 1, which per your article decreases my risk of death or hospitalization (what I cared about) by 96%. That's enough for me that I prefer to finish treating my head injuries. It took over 3 weeks of HBOT to get down the inflammation from the first shot and my assumption is that I was more susceptible because my treatments are not completed. I'm hoping it could go better next time. 

I was a little tired/off Friday and the symptoms kicked in full bore Saturday. Getting the inhaler in helped significantly and with that and putting my feet up for an hour and sipping tea I feel a bit better. We just have to wait and see. I think it's a virus (any virus) trying to inflame my lungs. I can think I'm winning and then the next morning boom it's all the way. Or I could kick this. 

I pulled the "I'm sick" card and got them to give up the tv so I could watch Call the Midwife. 😄

51 minutes ago, whitestavern said:

I've been sick for a week. Congestion, cough, fever, headache. Two negative covid tests. So there's other stuff going around. 

I thought I read something to this effect that people should expect extra colds, more virulence with the colds, etc. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PeterPan said:

Can I ask if she was vax or partial vax or no vax? That's kind of wild that it took 7 days to move into her lungs. 

Well I did get a test scheduled for tomorrow. It's a bit of a hassle, but I can get it done. I just don't know what happens if I wake up tomorrow and I'm mack truck tired (ie. it has gone to infection). I guess at that point I'll just call the doctor and let them sort it out. I actually have one, lol. 

She was fully vaccinated (Moderna)- I think she had her second in April? April or May. As of today she is winded quickly and really tired, but the cold type symptoms are abating.

• Thanks 1

Just now, AmandaVT said:

She was fully vaccinated (Moderna)- I think she had her second in April? April or May. As of today she is winded quickly and really tired, but the cold type symptoms are abating.

Oh my, such a short period of time the vax lasted. 😞 

Total aside, but people are doing HBOT for after covid recovery. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, PeterPan said:

Oh my, such a short period of time the vax lasted. 😞 

Total aside, but people are doing HBOT for after covid recovery. 

Covid is so weird - I wrote about this in a different thread, but she's been super careful. Picked up takeout one night the week before she got sick and we're pretty sure that's where she was infected. She and I share a room and will take regular mask breaks in there. I had my second Moderna shot in Feb and did not get it, despite lesson planning with her while eating tortilla chips unmasked a couple of days before she started having symptoms. 

Thanks for the HBOT tip - we have a place nearby and I'll let her know! https://www.hyperbaricvermont.org/

• Like 1

As others have said, a test is the only way to tell. We usually do rapid antigen test and PCR test at the same time; we've had a bunch of non-covid stuff go through the family, we always test. The time one of my kids tested positive for covid he was less sick than with some of the other stuff we have had. There really is no way to know just from symptoms.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, maize said:

The time one of my kids tested positive for covid he was less sick than with some of the other stuff we have had.

See THAT is actually what has raised my eyebrows. It's just not doing what I thought, sort of mild and annoying at the same time, not going as far as a cold should. 

So we'll see. I've got that test tomorrow. I hadn't thought to do both. This new test is ID-NOW is rapid molecular and has good stats https://elifesciences.org/articles/65726 You get the results in a matter of hours and it's *almost* as accurate as PCR.

52 minutes ago, Faith-manor said:

PeterPan, RSV is really going around here in addition to Delta, play some other kind of cold thing which has turned out to be quite mild for folks. It is maddening! 

I'll google it. I've heard of it but don't know much about it. My GP wants to redo the covid test, says they want it administered by a tech not observed through a drive through. So that's kind of striking that they aren't happy with drive through testing, sigh. So I'm still fiddling around trying to get an appt. I think I just need some prednisone to kick this. I don't like my breathing staying down. Off to google RSV, thanks