Menu

Airbnb for summer internship for dd?

Kassia

We've never used Airbnb before but it seems like a good option for dd, who has an OOS summer internship next summer.  It would be more flexible than an apartment lease because you can choose check in/check out dates and not be locked into exactly 3 months.  

But, she'd have to reserve it now to make sure she gets the entire block of time she needs.  That's a lot of money to put out so far in advance.  We know the start/end dates of her internship but haven't decided the logistics of her moving out of her college dorm/into the airbnb/out of the airbnb/back to the college dorm (we don't even know her move-in date for that) and if/when she'd come home during that time.  Also, she plans on living with her boyfriend in the airbnb and splitting the cost but they are so young and who knows if they will still be together then?  They are 19 and have been together about six months.  They seem very committed (I got engaged and married at 19) but that seems risky to me. 

Just wondering if anyone has experience/thoughts they could share on this since I don't know anything about airbnb.  

What if she wants to change the dates later?  Would it be too late without a penalty?  It's just so far away and such a big financial commitment.  

The airbnb option is so nice since she'll have everything she'll need and not need to worry about furnishings and things like that. But an apartment can be booked so much closer to when she'll actually need it.  

• Like 1

My dd did this the summer of covid. She could've stayed in a dorm room as there was a nearby university that would rent a room to a student from a different university, but the AirBnb was less expensive. She found a roommate through the company they were both interning at and the roommates mom put down the deposit and 1st month's rent. Dd venmo'd the mom for her share of the first month. It looked like it was going to work out very well until everything closed down. Thankfully they were all able to get a refund.

Things they needed to watch for included off street parking and kitchen appliances. The place they eventually chose didn't have a microwave and dd had started figuring out how not to have one.

I wish your dd luck. The logistics can be tricky, but the experience is well worth it!

• Thanks 1

The cancellation policy on the Aiirbnb will vary by unit and location.  You will just need to check with the particular place she is interested in to see what the cancellation policy will be.  Depending upon the location, another option may be an extended stay hotel.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I'd personally check out other options. 
I'd have my dd call the employer. I know some offer local housing options or have deals with local apartments for discounted short term leases. 
I'd check into local area colleges to see if she could stay in the dorm there.
I'd check into my relative/friend network to see if anyone lived there who would be willing to let her have a room (assuming she would be okay with that option too). 

One friend lived in a trailer on the property of an elderly lady for some time. His rent? Mowing the yard every weekend. That's it. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, wilrunner said:

I wish your dd luck. The logistics can be tricky, but the experience is well worth it!

Thank you!  The logistics are overwhelming.  It's 1200 miles away, we have to figure out a car, teach her to drive in the area (we live in a rural area and that's the only place she has driving experience - this is a very busy suburban area), figure out moving from the dorm to the summer housing and then back to the dorm but there is a gap between the internship and moving dates for the dorm.  My older kids were three hours away for their internships/colleges so it was so easy for us to just drive there, move and store their stuff, find apartments, etc.  And it was easy to loan them furniture for the summer, too.

1 hour ago, Bootsie said:

Depending upon the location, another option may be an extended stay hotel.

I did check that option but the only extended stay hotel nearby got terrible reviews.  

1 hour ago, Bambam said:

I'd personally check out other options. 
I'd have my dd call the employer. I know some offer local housing options or have deals with local apartments for discounted short term leases. 
I'd check into local area colleges to see if she could stay in the dorm there.

Thank you.  She is going to reach out to the recruiter but we suspect there won't be any help there other than the very generous housing stipend she will receive.  My older kids had internships with no stipend or housing - that was tough!  But they were within driving distance from home (3 hours) so it was much easier on all of us to figure out and help with.

10 minutes ago, DawnM said:

Are there any colleges nearby?   Our college local apartments are always trying to sublet for the summer.  You may have to join a FB "X College Housing" list, but that is an option.   

1 minute ago, Kassia said:

TThank you.  She is going to reach out to the recruiter but we suspect there won't be any help there other than the very generous housing stipend she will receive.  My older kids had internships with no stipend or housing - that was tough!  But they were within driving distance from home (3 hours) so it was much easier on all of us to figure out and help with.

If the employer is offering a housing stipend, then it sounds as if it is a program that has dealth with this issue before.  They will probably at least be able to provide guidance as to the type of arrangements former interns have made.  They may be able to put her in touch with former interns so that she can talk to them and see what worked or didn't work for housing arrangements.  They may also have other interns coming for the summer that are looking for housing possibilities.  

• Like 1

My daughter used Air BnB more than once for summer internships and it worked out nicely. Our experience is that the programs don't tend to be helpful as far as housing unless it is campus-based. As someone else said, the cancellation policy will vary. I know my daughter did get funds returned from AirBnB when she had a medical problem which resulted in delayed arrival to the site and needing to change housing.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Bootsie said:

If the employer is offering a housing stipend, then it sounds as if it is a program that has dealth with this issue before.  They will probably at least be able to provide guidance as to the type of arrangements former interns have made.  They may be able to put her in touch with former interns so that she can talk to them and see what worked or didn't work for housing arrangements. 

I have encouraged her to reach out to the recruiter for information/advice now that she's accepted the offer and hope she follows through.  I do think that is her best resource.

My sons, surprisingly, received no help from their recruiter for their internship housing even though it was a very large, well-known company with interns from around the country.  

4 minutes ago, GoodGrief3 said:

My daughter used Air BnB more than once for summer internships and it worked out nicely. Our experience is that the programs don't tend to be helpful as far as housing unless it is campus-based. As someone else said, the cancellation policy will vary. I know my daughter did get funds returned from AirBnB when she had a medical problem which resulted in delayed arrival to the site and needing to change housing.

Do you remember how far in advance she booked?  It seems so early now to commit, but there aren't a lot of choices and she needs such a big block of time (13-14 weeks) - if anyone books just one night during that time then that option is out.  

Edited by Kassia

You might be reassured once you search for specific options on Airbnb and see what the individual host's cancellation policy is. Definitely do read the policy, though because it varies considerably from host to host. 

We're in the process of planning a trip to Ireland for next summer, which we're well aware we may need to cancel, depending on the state of the world. We've booked a couple Airbnbs that offer free cancellation, one until 2 weeks before arrival, and one the day before arrival. For both, we did need to put down a deposit of half the cost, but it is fully refundable with no penalty if we want to cancel anytime up until the specified date for each property. 

For these bookings, we are able to float the amount of the deposit until we know for sure if the trip is a go. So that would be my calculus in this situation--if you can find rentals that offer free cancellation up until a date when you'll know more, can you float the amount of the deposit until then?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Kassia said:

Do you remember how far in advance she booked?  It seems so early now to commit, but there aren't a lot of choices and she needs such a big block of time (13-14 weeks) - if anyone books just one night during that time then that option is out.  

If the internship is a mostly sure thing, I'd book now.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Acadie said:

You might be reassured once you search for specific options on Airbnb and see what the individual host's cancellation policy is. Definitely do read the policy, though because it varies considerably from host to host. 

We're in the process of planning a trip to Ireland for next summer, which we're well aware we may need to cancel, depending on the state of the world. We've booked a couple Airbnbs that offer free cancellation, one until 2 weeks before arrival, and one the day before arrival. For both, we did need to put down a deposit of half the cost, but it is fully refundable with no penalty if we want to cancel anytime up until the specified date for each property. 

For these bookings, we are able to float the amount of the deposit until we know for sure if the trip is a go. So that would be my calculus in this situation--if you can find rentals that offer free cancellation up until a date when you'll know more, can you float the amount of the deposit until then?

Thank you!  We will definitely read the policies carefully!  Good luck with your trip! 

2 minutes ago, GoodGrief3 said:

If the internship is a mostly sure thing, I'd book now.

She already received an offer and accepted.  🙂 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Kassia said:

What if she wants to change the dates later?  Would it be too late without a penalty?  It's just so far away and such a big financial commitment.  

Some Airbnbs have a minimum stay ranging anywhere from 2 nights to a month. I've never had an issue narrowing the window of a reservation that offered free cancellation as long as the stay didn't dip below the minimum.

There's a place on Airbnb to request a date change, and based on the response of hosts, I think it's quite common for guests to request them. If you can afford the deposit for the widest possible window and any changes won't get you into trouble with the minimum stay (if there is one) then I'd go ahead and book the widest potential window.

I note on my calendar when the cancellation penalties kick in and make sure to finalize our plans in time.  

• Thanks 1

One last thought--I only rent Airbnbs that have plenty of good reviews. A host might be able to fake a handful, maybe, but not dozens of verified guest reviews. And although I've never had any reason to dispute charges, the clear payment and cancellation policies give me much more confidence than finding a random rental. 

• Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, Acadie said:

Some Airbnbs have a minimum stay ranging anywhere from 2 nights to a month. I've never had an issue narrowing the window of a reservation that offered free cancellation as long as the stay didn't dip below the minimum.

There's a place on Airbnb to request a date change, and based on the response of hosts, I think it's quite common for guests to request them. If you can afford the deposit for the widest possible window and any changes won't get you into trouble with the minimum stay (if there is one) then I'd go ahead and book the widest potential window.

I note on my calendar when the cancellation penalties kick in and make sure to finalize our plans in time.  

54 minutes ago, Acadie said:

One last thought--I only rent Airbnbs that have plenty of good reviews. A host might be able to fake a handful, maybe, but not dozens of verified guest reviews. 

Yes, the ones she is looking at are "superhosts" with many excellent reviews.  

All of them have the same cancellation policy - cancel within 48 hours for full refund, but what concerns me is that anytime after that until the date of move-in would be refund minus the service fee and the first 30 days.  That would be a lot of money to lose.  But it doesn't say anything about actually changing the date.  I wonder if that wouldn't count as a cancellation if she did it early enough?  I don't know...that's what I'm most worried about.  That's a big risk if she has to pay the service fee AND the first 30 days.  

Definitely message the Airbnb hosts she is considering. Perhaps having someone commit to such a large block of time would be a boon for them and worth some flexibility on their part (if not a reduction in the rate.) They won't have to pay their cleaning service (I assume) and your dd sounds like a good bet from a rental point of view (assuming she isn't interning for a graffiti artist). Hosts tend to respond quickly and enthusiastically when I've reached out in the past.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, SusanC said:

Definitely message the Airbnb hosts she is considering. Perhaps having someone commit to such a large block of time would be a boon for them and worth some flexibility on their part (if not a reduction in the rate.) They won't have to pay their cleaning service (I assume) and your dd sounds like a good bet from a rental point of view (assuming she isn't interning for a graffiti artist). Hosts tend to respond quickly and enthusiastically when I've reached out in the past.

Thank you!  She definitely won't need any cleaning service during her stay - that's a good point that they will save on that.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Kassia said:

All of them have the same cancellation policy - cancel within 48 hours for full refund, but what concerns me is that anytime after that until the date of move-in would be refund minus the service fee and the first 30 days.  That would be a lot of money to lose.  But it doesn't say anything about actually changing the date.  I wonder if that wouldn't count as a cancellation if she did it early enough?  I don't know...that's what I'm most worried about.  That's a big risk if she has to pay the service fee AND the first 30 days.  

Under these circumstances I like the approach of @Susan C.. Contact the host and see if they are willing to work with you. Be upfront what you're able to commit to and where you'd like flexibility. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Acadie said:

Under these circumstances I like the approach of @Susan C.. Contact the host and see if they are willing to work with you. Be upfront what you're able to commit to and where you'd like flexibility. 

Thanks so much!  We'll definitely do that!  🙂  

They're just constantly changing the rates.

We're about to Airbnb our basement and I can tell you this is not an uncommon thing for people to do around us. Lots of kids with DC internships. The folks I know who have ABB spaces say that in summer it's easy to find folks in that group who want to get a longer term space.

33 minutes ago, Farrar said:

They're just constantly changing the rates.

We're about to Airbnb our basement and I can tell you this is not an uncommon thing for people to do around us. Lots of kids with DC internships. The folks I know who have ABB spaces say that in summer it's easy to find folks in that group who want to get a longer term space.

Well, darn, I had no idea.  In your opinion, is there any chance the rates would drop again?  

17 minutes ago, Kassia said:

Well, darn, I had no idea.  In your opinion, is there any chance the rates would drop again?  

I doubt it? Other ABB's may become available though. But probably not superhosts.

It's tough! Earlier is definitely better. It's nice that she already knows and can go ahead and find somewhere though.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Farrar said:

I doubt it? Other ABB's may become available though. But probably not superhosts.

It's tough! Earlier is definitely better. It's nice that she already knows and can go ahead and find somewhere though.

Thanks.  Darn, darn, darn...the price increase really puts most of the places she was interested in out of her range but she wasn't ready to commit yet - just got the official offer on Wednesday.  And we all agree that going with a place with many reviews is safest.  

Thank you! 

18 hours ago, Kassia said:

Thanks.  Darn, darn, darn...the price increase really puts most of the places she was interested in out of her range but she wasn't ready to commit yet - just got the official offer on Wednesday.  And we all agree that going with a place with many reviews is safest.  

Thank you! 

Has your dd considered a roommate? That might bring the cost down some if the places she was looking at have 2 bedrooms.

1 minute ago, wilrunner said:

Has your dd considered a roommate? That might bring the cost down some if the places she was looking at have 2 bedrooms.

Yes, her boyfriend.  We love him but I'm a bit nervous about it since they are so young and next summer is far away.  What happens if they break up before then?  I'm going to make sure she finds something she can afford without his contribution. They have been together for six months and are very happy, but they are 19...   I was married at 19 but I do think that's unusual.

9 minutes ago, Carol in Cal. said:

If you are comfortable sharing the GENERAL area that she is in, someone from here might be able to help you more specifically.

Richardson, TX  🙂  I don't think there's any risk in saying that?

I checked VRBO too but didn't see anything better than airbnb - seems like some owners have listings on both sites

• Like 1

Will she be receiving college credit for the internship?  If so and the internship is near her home campus, does she qualify for campus housing during the summer?

Given the area, I would check student discussion boards for UTD, SMU, and any other nearby universities to check for students who are looking to sublease their apartment over the summer.  Another idea would be to advertise that she is willing to house sit for a faculty member who will be away teaching for the summer--it takes finding just the right match but sometimes it works out to help both parties.  

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Bootsie said:

Will she be receiving college credit for the internship?  If so and the internship is near her home campus, does she qualify for campus housing during the summer?

Given the area, I would check student discussion boards for UTD, SMU, and any other nearby universities to check for students who are looking to sublease their apartment over the summer.  Another idea would be to advertise that she is willing to house sit for a faculty member who will be away teaching for the summer--it takes finding just the right match but sometimes it works out to help both parties.  

No college credit.  The internship is close to her home campus and she could get campus housing but the dates are limited,  which is what she's finding everywhere - student leases end 7/31.  Her internship ends 8/5 and she doesn't move into her dorm until somewhere between 8/16-8/20 (we won't know the date until next summer sometime).  And the intern housing on campus doesn't start until after her housing agreement on campus for spring semester ends.  It might even start after her internship begins.  It's so complicated due to the gaps between things beginning/ending.  

Do you have a recommendation where she could advertise for the house sitting?  Still, there's the issue of how long she will need accommodations, which is why the airbnb option is appealing.  She basically needs somewhere from May 10th (when her spring housing ends) until she can move back to campus for fall semester.  

5 minutes ago, Kassia said:

No college credit.  The internship is close to her home campus and she could get campus housing but the dates are limited,  which is what she's finding everywhere - student leases end 7/31.  Her internship ends 8/5 and she doesn't move into her dorm until somewhere between 8/16-8/20 (we won't know the date until next summer sometime).  And the intern housing on campus doesn't start until after her housing agreement on campus for spring semester ends.  It might even start after her internship begins.  It's so complicated due to the gaps between things beginning/ending.  

Do you have a recommendation where she could advertise for the house sitting?  Still, there's the issue of how long she will need accommodations, which is why the airbnb option is appealing.  She basically needs somewhere from May 10th (when her spring housing ends) until she can move back to campus for fall semester.  

She may be able to find someone to sublease off-campus housing from that meets her reqiured dates.  I have also known a number of college students to piece together several summer housing arrangements to meet their needs.

Most universities have some type of electronic classified ads where students can post that they are looking for housing for particular dates or advertise that they will house sit.  If she is involved in a local church or college ministry getting the word out through that group that she is looking for somehting can be helpful.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1