Katy

• Replies 13.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Terabith said:

2DECDE12-E7C2-47D7-8E7E-1E8F4F896A35.jpeg

Wow.  This is fascinating to ponder.  Is it possible we touch less (or less variety) than we once did?  What effect does this have on humans, especially from a mental health perspective?

I've been really focusing on making sure my younger children get as much stimulation as my older ones did, and this is an area that does take more effort.  When my older kids were young, I took them outside all the time, and really encouraged lots of tactile play.  Now that I have big kids and little kids, we are inside much more so the bigger kids can do their schoolwork.  There are many things to touch inside a house, but it isn't quite the same as touching something to complete a task or to explore.  With so much automated and with the feel of metal or plastic under the finger, the day to day sensations of life are lessened, and activites designed for tactile exploration are limited in scope and purpose.  

I'm thinking through things we touch, and I think food is a huge area of indoor tactile experiences.  But think of how a plastic spoon feels when you stir, compared to a wooden spoon.  And how you feel neither if you dump in the ingredients and use your kitchen aid. 

How many little moments to touch and be touched, and to feel our environment responding to us, do we miss each day because of the rise of technology?

• Like 4

12 hours ago, kbutton said:

May be an image of 2 people and text that says 'These are Lizzy Borden's parents. Do not accept messages from them. They've been hacked.'

while on the surface his might seem funny - I admit to finding it to be in extremely poor taste to be making jokes about how they died.  They were real people, and they were brutally murdered.   

• Like 7

3 hours ago, Terabith said:

979CDE83-6A48-4956-8FFE-F9C724323A75.jpeg

They found that with penguins in antarctica too.  The penguins didn't LIKE banded penguins, and would avoid them.  The bands slowed down their ability to swim (due to drag), and increased the rate at which they got eaten. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 4