Menu

1000 hours outside people....end of May update.

Ottakee

1000 hours outside challenge   I finished up May with 404 hours outside and 523 miles outside.....walking, hiking, biking, cross country skiing, and snowshoeing.

I have cross countries skied under the lights at night, snowshoed over the dunes at sunset on the coldest night of the year, walked on the ice covered pier, climbed several mountains, hiked in 7 states, visited beautiful botanical gardens,  saw some glorious waterfalls and delicate wild flowers,  and so much more.

Edited by Ottakee
  • Like 12

8 hours ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

How do you track your hours?

I use the forms from 1000 hours outside

They have several free printable ones.  Then I have a reminder on my phone for 9pm each day to record my hours.   I also crossed off hours and put miles on one sheet as I didn't  think I would be able to manage 1000 hours outside so wanted to do miles instead.   I am hoping to get both done this year though.

Then I can buy the cool t shirt they offer😀

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Ottakee said:

This was not the me of 15 years ago....at all.

I get that. And I know that the journey for you began with pain I can't even imagine. I am  just so amazed by your resilience and perseverance.

Dh and I are convinced that we will be healthier as we age if we live a more active, outdoor lifestyle than we have been so every time I take a hike, I think about your achievement which is very inspirational.

• Like 1

I am still going slower than planned, now mostly due to multiple family crises, but I'm just went camping by myself for two days and have more planned as soon as I can get away again. That helps rack up the hours for sure. I'm at just under 200, but I haven't given up hope that I can still make 1000 this year.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Ottakee said:

I use the forms from 1000 hours outside

They have several free printable ones.  Then I have a reminder on my phone for 9pm each day to record my hours.   I also crossed off hours and put miles on one sheet as I didn't  think I would be able to manage 1000 hours outside so wanted to do miles instead.   I am hoping to get both done this year though.

Then I can buy the cool t shirt they offer😀

Do they offer a shirt?

I count mowing since we have three yards due to the mothers, and I do most of it. So if I counted from late March when things started getting decent around here, I have probably about 275. Not as much as I want at this stage. The week of camping is what bumped that number. But I am starting to get more two mile hikes in each week, a few short bike rides, and some gardening in my raised plots. Last night we had a fire outside in the fire ring in our back yard and stayed out quite a while. We have another week of camping June 24- July 4, but one day on each end is travel. That said, we will picnic for lunch each time, and when we arrive it will only be mid afternoon, so part of the day counts.

We are going to camp again when we move ds back to campus in August. The area around his college is gorgeous. And I think we will do a weekend in September as well. In October, we will spend two weeks with our kids at the home we bought in Alabama which lends itself well to a lot of time spent outdoors. But despite all of this, given that elder care of homes and medical appointments is kicking my tush, I don't know that a thousand hours is within reach for me this year. We have a day that is going to be in the 80's this week, and I am determined to haul the grandmothers to the lake for part of the day.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, elegantlion said:

Oh, I've not heard of this before. Congrats on your stats! I think I'll join in starting today. 

My neighbor did it last year so I decided to join in this year.  It is very motivating for me.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Faith-manor said:

I get that. And I know that the journey for you began with pain I can't even imagine. I am  just so amazed by your resilience and perseverance.

Dh and I are convinced that we will be healthier as we age if we live a more active, outdoor lifestyle than we have been so every time I take a hike, I think about your achievement which is very inspirational.

Thank you.   I was doing some of this before but not as much.

My goal is health and fun, free recreation.  Covid made it even more important as outside recreational activities were about the only way I could connect with friends.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, stephanier.1765 said:

Do you have someone with you during your adventures? My DH will never be on board and my children and SOs are busy with their own adult lives and I'm scared to go on my own. But I want to. I really, really want to be that person.

Sometimes I force my kids, sometimes I go with friends and sometimes alone.

I even went tent camping all by myself 3 weeks ago for an overnight.   That was a first but I enjoyed it and will do it again.

I walk several days a week with a young mom that lives across the the road....sometimes with her girls too.

Sometimes I just post on FB that I want to hike and see if anyone wants to join in (keeping exact time and location private).

I say go for it 

• Like 2