Menu

Need Half Credit for Health which is better?

Trying to make plans for high school. Where has the time gone?  Our state requires a .5 credit for health and I have narrowed it down to Apologia Health  and Nutrition or Total Health Choices for a  Winning Lifestyle.  My understanding is that both of these are whole credits. Would either of these be a better choice for half credit only?  I need to keep it as one semester unless it is absolutely necessary for an entire year. Any ideas on how to schedule this way?  Or should I go back to the drawing board and choose a less intensive option? 

We started using Total Health last summer. I think possibly if you did all the projects, etc. it could go for more than a half credit? I am only planning on a half-credit from it, so I am going to see where we come out without the projects and then add interest-led stuff if we need it.

I know almost nothing about Apologia Health other than it's obviously newer, and I hear it is more A&P based. A friend said the tests are unnecessarily detailed on the A&P concepts and she rewrote sections. 

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, cintinative said:

We started using Total Health last summer. I think possibly if you did all the projects, etc. it could go for more than a half credit? I am only planning on a half-credit from it, so I am going to see where we come out without the projects and then add interest-led stuff if we need it.

I know almost nothing about Apologia Health other than it's obviously newer, and I hear it is more A&P based. A friend said the tests are unnecessarily detailed on the A&P concepts and she rewrote sections. 

Did you like it? Trying to decide if we should do it at home or let dd take Health at her tutorial senior year.  I think we could power through and have a minimalist version at home. Tutorial would be more work, but also more fun.

Edited by ScoutTN
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ScoutTN said:

Did you like it? Trying to decide if we should do it at home or let dd take Health at her tutorial senior year.  I think we could power through and have a minimalist version at home. Tutorial would be more work, but also more fun.

It's not wonderful. I got it with the tests for $5 from a friend. I am not sure I would have picked it. But it will get it done.  There is another thread on here somewhere about how people use it. We basically read it, answer the questions, and do the tests open book. I am just looking to check the box for health. They have so many other courses that take their time.  

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, cintinative said:

It's not wonderful. I got it with the tests for $5 from a friend. I am not sure I would have picked it. But it will get it done.  There is another thread on here somewhere about how people use it. We basically read it, answer the questions, and do the tests open book. I am just looking to check the box for health. They have so many other courses that take their time.  

I am definitely looking for box-checking! 😉

• Like 1

For a couple of my kids we did Total Health for 1/2 credit.  For a couple others, we did the SOS online high school health.  I don't even know if that's available anymore!  That was over 10 years ago, but it was so nice because it was all online, including automatic check, and I had the ability to turn off things I thought unnecessary.  (This was basically a get-er-done course for us, because we'd always done so much talking about health, researching health, doing health, eating health, at home.  I turned off all of the extra activities and even bigger exams I think, only keeping the sporadic quizzes.  Or maybe I turned off the quizzes and kept the exams.  😄  Anyway, I simplified it quite a bit while still covering all the material.)

• Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, alisoncooks said:

I'd sign up for 3 months of The Great Courses+ and knock out 2-3 lectures relating to health (they have a nutrition one, diseases, addictions, human body?, etc). 

Total Health bombed here, so we're doing the above. 😛 Definitely a box-checking option. 

OP—hope I’m not detailing, but @alisoncooks are there any specific lectures you’ve watched that your dc has enjoyed? I’m completely unfamiliar with Great Courses, but this sounds like it would be perfect for my ds to knock out this half credit, especially since he recently took a CPR/First Aid certification class. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mmasc said:

OP—hope I’m not detailing, but @alisoncooks are there any specific lectures you’ve watched that your dc has enjoyed? I’m completely unfamiliar with Great Courses, but this sounds like it would be perfect for my ds to knock out this half credit, especially since he recently took a CPR/First Aid certification class. 

We've just started with it. "Nutrition Made Clear" is one we're using for health. There's a bunch having to do with sleep/the brain/addictions/etc but we're going to use them in a future psychology elective. 

Right now, DD is using the botany/science of gardening courses for a science class. 

Edited by alisoncooks
  • Thanks 2

We've used both and I prefer Apologia. The projects are better and it's a little more comprehensive. We did not use any quizzes or tests for either one, it was a box checking course for us as we teach health primarily through doing life. Both were just a semester credit.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1