Menu

Graphics tablet for digital art?

Dmmetler

L has decided that it would be nice to have a tablet input device for digital art, because drawing with a mouse is pretty limiting. A new Win 10 notebook was a major Christmas gift, and we upgraded the graphics card, so it should be able to handle whatever is needed. Does anyone have any suggestions? 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Plum said:

Dh got the more expensive Kamvas Pro 16 where you draw on the screen. Being an old school artist he didn’t think he could learn how to draw on the tablet and not see right there what he’s drawing. 

While I could draw CAD/CAM with a digitizer tablet and a 24” monitor, I found a digitizer tablet harder to use for my graphics design class assignments on a 15” laptop. DS16 found it hard at the beginning but likes the Wacom pen after getting used to it. He used the tablet as a substitute for his mouse often. He use the tablet wireless since his laptop has less USB ports. I use the tablet wired. 

We have the Wacom Intuos Pro small size version. It is easy to bring around with my laptop since my laptop backpack is for a 17” laptop anyway. https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07PPQH867/

What is your budget? The prices are all over the map! 

Also, do you want a tablet with its own display, or are you ok with the kind that look more like a mousepad, and you “draw” on it with the pen, but can only see what you’re drawing when you look at your monitor?

25 minutes ago, EKS said:

I would make sure that whatever you get that there is visual feedback directly on the tablet.  Otherwise, it's not much better than using a mouse.

You get a lot more precision when using the pen-type stylus that comes with a graphics tablet, than you ever could with a mouse. Many of us used those tablets for years when they were the only option, and plenty of professional artists still use them, either because that’s what they are used to and they don’t feel the need to change, or because their budget doesn’t allow them to buy anything more expensive.

I think budget is a huge part of this decision.

Edited by Catwoman
Typo

I was just thinking — for total portability, how about an iPad with the Apple Pencil? You wouldn’t need to get an iPad Pro. 

Many graphics tablets force you to be tethered to your computer, which can be a nuisance. An iPad with the Procreate app might be an excellent choice.

2 hours ago, Catwoman said:

You get a lot more precision when using the pen-type stylus that comes with a graphics tablet, than you ever could with a mouse.

Yes, in theory.  I just know that I tried to make one of the old style ones work, and it was not at all easy.  So, yes, better than a mouse, but not nearly as good as an iPad and pencil (for example).

Edited by EKS
  • Like 1

We asked my father in law (who is an artist and has used all the different tablets) what to get my daughter for Christmas. He said Ipad and Apple Pencil, hands down.  Before you had to get a Pro to use the apple pencil, and now you only need a generation 7 or later, I think? Of the regular Ipad.

It is awesome.  

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Catwoman said:

I was just thinking — for total portability, how about an iPad with the Apple Pencil? You wouldn’t need to get an iPad Pro. 

My dd actuallys loves the ipad mini for this. All the fine work is done zoomed in anyway.