Menu

Happy Mask sizing?

(Note: I changed my avatar from a dog with yarn draped over his head. It's still me. I needed a change!)

So it looks like DD20's summer research program is a go. She will be masking all day in the lab, so will need a comfortable and breathable mask. You guys have raved about Happy Masks, so I think I will order her some, but I have questions.

1) She's 5’4 and, I think about 120lbs with an average size face, but a tiny chin. Is a Medium the right size?

2) How often do you wash your mask if you are wearing it daily? I think she should wash at the end of the day if she is wearing it all day. So....should I order a week's worth? 

3) She is in the meeting discussing logistics right now (there are 3 honors students attending this program, so they are traveling together) but I'm guessing we need to be ready to roll the last week in May. How's shipping time for this company? Do we need to order some others from Amazon as a backup in case the Happy Masks don’t arrive on time?

Edited by I talk to the trees

Yes to the medium size. 

I can’t help you on the rest as we don’t go out often and my memory is poor. (Although not remembering the shipping time probably means it wasn’t a long wait for them.)

You might start off with just a few to see if the fit works. In my family, it worked for some and not others. 

• Like 1

I bought a small for myself and DS and a medium for DH. I'm not sure if the boys can tell the difference but the small is ok on me (an extra small would have been better for a tighter fit but I don’t think they carried them).

I don’t find the seal to be particularly great; our glasses still fog up and air seeps around the sides so we layer a blue medical mask underneath for additional protection. Be aware they do have those plastic adjusters behind the ears, which I would find uncomfortable to wear all day.

I would let her know she should wash her masks every day, yes. They do have to be handwashed. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, MEmama said:

I don’t find the seal to be particularly great; our glasses still fog up and air seeps around the sides so we layer a blue medical mask underneath for additional protection. Be aware they do have those plastic adjusters behind the ears, which I would find uncomfortable to wear all day.

I would let her know she should wash her masks every day, yes. They do have to be handwashed.

This. I use a Velcro thing that converted the mask to a behind the head design. This keeps the adjusters off my ears and allows me to tighten my mask down substantially. 

and yes they need to be hand washed but it’s a really easy procedure. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, MEmama said:

I have a medium and don’t find the seal great, even though it seems the right size. The nose wire seems too wimpy to get a proper seal. I only wear it for times I need one outside. The Happy Mask also only allows I think 50 washings before you throw it away.  Personally, I recommend KF94 masks for all day wear inside. They are easy to find now and haven’t had the counterfeit problem KN95s have. The style seems to be a good fit for a wide range of faces, and they are very breathable. I like the ones with adjustable ear loops, but the ear loops can be tied to adjust, and using a behind the head ear saver helps a lot. 

• Like 3

I also couldn't get a good seal on Happy Masks.

That may not be a problem if she isn't a glasses wearer. (But if she doesn't need really good protection and doesn't have glasses I would do something inexpensive and machine washable--maybe the Old Navy Masks). 

(We use Breethy Masks...comfortable, great seal--no leaks on glasses, easy to clean, KN95 protection with replaceable filter, and I believe they are still 50% off right now...but they are made of silicone, so won't blend in with everyone else if that's important. Everyone here, including small face me, uses an adult large). 

Edited by sbgrace
  • Like 1

IME they dry extremely fast - especially if pressed between two towels before hanging (not supposed to wring as that can damage the filter) - but I’d suggest 2 or 3 so that fresh one can be put on at least at a middle point of day, or maybe two changes in day.   (I think build up of  bacteria etc on masks is a very valid concern).  

I have a soft strap I attached to mine so that it can hang down from my neck when I get outdoors. It’s also often more comfortable than around ears.  I think breaks to outdoors helps air (and sun if there is any) both the mask and oneself. 

in addition to handwashing as per their instructions (which I only do occasionally, but I am usually not having to be masked hour after hour day after day so there is usually air and sun time between use—as you described situation I would probably wash by their instructions daily) I have used iodine mist and setting on dashboard to get sun as other disinfecting approaches .

I also examined it magnified and with black light and found and cleaned/removed anything at all suspicious looking . 

in my family we all r using adult large for all adults so I don’t know how fit of medium would be

eta Another issue with Hapoy Mask possible in her situation is that part of what makes them cool and comfortable is they stand away from nose mouth area. It’s possible this could obstruct vision of something important in a lab situation.   They are definitely most comfortable and breathable I have tried. But may need smooshing front in to be able to see well or maybe would not be good on that. Perhaps get one and have her role play using it before investing in several. 

Edited by Pen
  • Like 1

Thanks for the replies, guys! I may just order one or two and see if she likes them. Looks like they will have a mailing address where I can ship her more if she likes/needs them, so that's good. I may also dig through and find some of the other threads where people are asking for mask recommendations to find other options.  I just recalled a lot of folks on here saying that Happy Masks are really easy to breathe through.

The lab is (obviously) indoors, in pretty close quarters, so a simple cotton mask isn’t going to cut it for protection. I have knitted several of the “ear saver” tabs (basically, a stash-busting knitted strip with a couple of buttons on it) so that should help keep the mask both a little more snug and off her ears.

Edited by I talk to the trees
  • Like 1

For HM sizing, height and weight are mostly irrelevant.  Actually measure the face, giving slack vertically over the nose/mouth,  as the mask gives distance there for breathing space.  More tightly in the horizontal measurement where the fit is tight.  My dh (6' 160?) wears a large, as do I (5'4" 135), my twins (5'5" and 5'1", normal weight) both wear mediums, but then my youngest (5'8", super skinny) also wears a large.  It's face size that matters.  I do not look like I have a big face,  and I actually have a small nose, so who knew I had a giant face?

I feel like I get a pretty good seal, better than the myriad other masks I've tried. For a trip to the store, I'll only wash occasionally,  but I will wash after all-day use (this for me has mostly happened when we've helped the kids move apartments).

• Like 2

Everyone in my house wears a large except for one of my sons, and he has a tiny, pixie face. He wears a medium. His seal is not amazing as his chin is extraordinarily small, but that goes for every mask he wears.

The rest of us get a pretty good seal, but the mask goes right up to our eyeballs. When I wear mine properly, the sides suck in when I breathe in, so I think my seal is quite good. 

They have a sizing chart online, which is how we determined our size. It's in the FAQ section.

We try to leave a little more than overnight for them to dry, but if you squeeze them gently between towels, it helps a lot. Those working outside the home have more masks than those of us that just run out now and then for errands.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, I talk to the trees said:

Thanks for the replies, guys! I may just order one or two and see if she likes them. Looks like they will have a mailing address where I can ship her more if she likes/needs them, so that's good. I may also dig through and find some of the other threads where people are asking for mask recommendations to find other options.  I just recalled a lot of folks on here saying that Happy Masks are really easy to breathe through.

The lab is (obviously) indoors, in pretty close quarters, so a simple cotton mask isn’t going to cut it for protection. I have knitted several of the “ear saver” tabs (basically, a stash-busting knitted strip with a couple of buttons on it) so that should help keep the mask both a little more snug and off her ears.

in case it might help here’s photo magnified and under black light (makes yellow liner look purple- and glow thing - invisible to naked eye is something I removed) - some fabrics I can see spaces all the way through at this magnification . HM has the next layer (filter) looking very solid . Yet it is still extremely breathable and comfortable and cool compared to others I tried

98217821-A669-408B-8F13-2A5CA270B559.jpeg

• Thanks 1

We get quite a good seal, but not like, "doesn't fog up the glasses" good. But they stay up nicely and go in and out as I breathe, so it feels like it's much more secure than practically everything else I see out there. 

I have to say that for masking all day in a lab I'd do something more serious. Like, something with tested filtration that isn't washable that she can, like, tape to her face. I don't mind washing our Happy Masks but I don't know if anyone's actually TESTED what that does to the filter. (If someone has, you should let me know.) 

We really like ours for being out and about and for staying on our faces well, though... just that my risk assessment would be different for that situation. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Not_a_Number said:

don't mind washing our Happy Masks but I don't know if anyone's actually TESTED what that does to the filter.

I’d wonder what happens to the electrostatic aspect of the filter. That’s a big part of what allows the tiny particles to be captured, and I know washing degrades that. We rotate our KF94s. One of the people who has done a bunch of testing of them found no degradation in the filtration even after lots of reuses. So, the issue is rotating so they can dry out and so any virus on the surface dies between uses. I wear a cloth mask outside. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, KSera said:

I’d wonder what happens to the electrostatic aspect of the filter. That’s a big part of what allows the tiny particles to be captured, and I know washing degrades that. We rotate our KF94s. One of the people who has done a bunch of testing of them found no degradation in the filtration even after lots of reuses. So, the issue is rotating so they can dry out and so any virus on the surface dies between uses. I wear a cloth mask outside. 

Yeah, there we go... I don't know where they got the idea that it's OK to put the Happy Masks in water and whether that's really OK for them. 

Right.  Many of you already know what I think of Happy Mask marketing (hint - misleading and disingenuous, for a start).

A disposable surgical mask worn under whatever well-fitting cloth mask you already have is likely just as good.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, wathe said:

Right.  Many of you already know what I think of Happy Mask marketing (hint - misleading and disingenuous, for a start).

A disposable surgical mask worn under whatever well-fitting cloth mask you already have is likely just as good.

I don’t think my kids would do nearly as well with that. The Happy Masks create a nice pocket around their face and that’s much easier for them.

So it really depends what you mean by “good.” Happy Masks stay on and cover everyone’s nose and mouth over here. Do I trust the filter all that much? No. In a lab situation, this wouldn’t be what I do. But for our purposes, they are a good product.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Not_a_Number said:

I don’t think my kids would do nearly as well with that. The Happy Masks create a nice pocket around their face and that’s much easier for them.

So it really depends what you mean by “good.” Happy Masks stay on and cover everyone’s nose and mouth over here. Do I trust the filter all that much? No. In a lab situation, this wouldn’t be what I do. But for our purposes, they are a good product.

Ok, I hear you. So what would you do in a lab situation? Please be specific. We have been shielding since last March, since dd and I both have underlying conditions, so we haven’t been in a situation where we needed N95s. Now that dd will need greater protection, I have no idea where to go to purchase something that is effective, comfortable, and not counterfeit. I see plenty of KN95 items for sale on Amazon, but are they reputable manufacturers or sellers?  I need to get the ball rolling and order something soon! 

In the meantime, I went ahead and ordered a couple of Happy Masks. Even if she doesn’t wear them, I can always use them. I’m still masking when I walk the dogs on the river walk, primarily because no one else is. 

11 minutes ago, I talk to the trees said:

Ok, I hear you. So what would you do in a lab situation? Please be specific. We have been shielding since last March, since dd and I both have underlying conditions, so we haven’t been in a situation where we needed N95s. Now that dd will need greater protection, I have no idea where to go to purchase something that is effective, comfortable, and not counterfeit. I see plenty of KN95 items for sale on Amazon, but are they reputable manufacturers or sellers?  I need to get the ball rolling and order something soon! 

I think you should post a separate question about that 🙂. I really don't know, because all we've been doing is going outside, and I've been happy with Happy Masks for that. I definitely wouldn't buy anything on Amazon, though -- even the dental floss they sell is counterfeit, lol. 

11 minutes ago, I talk to the trees said:

In the meantime, I went ahead and ordered a couple of Happy Masks. Even if she doesn’t wear them, I can always use them. I’m still masking when I walk the dogs on the river walk, primarily because no one else is. 

Yeah, I think this is an excellent use for Happy Masks. They really are good, comfortable masks, and I assume the filter does at least something 😉 . I just think of lab work as high risk. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, I talk to the trees said:

IMO, Happy Mask is a perfectly good non-medical mask.  Maybe even excellent. It's probably fine for her purpose.

My beef with them is their marketing - they've got the world convinced that they are superior to anything else out there and they are essentially N95 equivalent, which just isn't true.  They blatantly misrepresent the filtering efficiency of surgical masks (which have actual standards) compared to theirs.

My point (poorly expressed) is that a surgical or medical mask under a well-fitting cloth mask is likely just as good;  there is no need to spend $$$ on Happy Masks specifically.  Happy Masks are good masks, but not necessarily better than what you might already have.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, wathe said:

IMO, Happy Mask is a perfectly good non-medical mask.  Maybe even excellent. It's probably fine for her purpose.

My beef with them is their marketing - they've got the world convinced that they are superior to anything else out there and they are essentially N95 equivalent, which just isn't true.  They blatantly misrepresent the filtering efficiency of surgical masks (which have actual standards) compared to theirs.

My point (poorly expressed) is that a surgical or medical mask under a well-fitting cloth mask is likely just as good;  there is no need to spend $$$ on Happy Masks specifically.  Happy Masks are good masks, but not necessarily better than what you might already have.

Gotcha! 😉 What we have been using when we have to be out is a 3-layer cotton jersey mask (Hanes) underneath one of the Old Navy “pretty” masks. I’m not sure that would be comfortable for her all day long in a lab, though. 

1 hour ago, I talk to the trees said:

Gotcha! 😉 What we have been using when we have to be out is a 3-layer cotton jersey mask (Hanes) underneath one of the Old Navy “pretty” masks. I’m not sure that would be comfortable for her all day long in a lab, though. 

I think a Happy Mask with an ear saver would be far comfier than this. 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, I talk to the trees said:

This is the thing.  Happy masks are light and comfortable.  I would not feel as comfortable with not one but two thicker masks that also aren't distanced from my face like with the Happy mask - no contest.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Matryoshka said:

This is the thing.  Happy masks are light and comfortable.  I would not feel as comfortable with not one but two thicker masks that also aren't distanced from my face like with the Happy mask - no contest.  

Exactly. They are light, comfortable, and get an adequate seal. They are better than 99% of what I see on faces out there, and they come in cute patterns, and they make it easy for the kids to breathe through them.

That's plenty for me. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, I talk to the trees said:

I apologize for being a broken record, but a KF94 does sound like what you want. Some of the well regarded brands are Bluna, BOTN, Airwasher, Dr puri. There are lots of others.  So far, there have been no reported issues with counterfeits of these. South Korea is pretty different than China m that regard 😉.  Here’s an article with links to a lot of these masks about a guy who is an aerosol scientist who done a bunch of testing of them. One thing I like about his testing is that he’s not just testing how well the material filters, but he’s testing inside the mask while it’s being worn, to see how it’s actually performing. (pardon the yahoo sourcing, it just happened to be an article that includes links to a lot of these): https://news.yahoo.com/one-man-is-on-a-mission-to-figure-out-the-best-covidprotection-mask-here-is-what-he-found-174756926.html

2 hours ago, I talk to the trees said:

I would say that would be neither comfortable, nor effective. The jersey masks are less effective than woven cotton masks, and I don’t believe either of those has a nose wire. A well fitted nose wire is essential for getting a good fit.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, KSera said:

I apologize for being a broken record, but a KF94 does sound like what you want. Some of the well regarded brands are Bluna, BOTN, Airwasher, Dr puri. There are lots of others.  So far, there have been no reported issues with counterfeits of these. South Korea is pretty different than China m that regard 😉.  Here’s an article with links to a lot of these masks about a guy who is an aerosol scientist who done a bunch of testing of them. One thing I like about his testing is that he’s not just testing how well the material filters, but he’s testing inside the mask while it’s being worn, to see how it’s actually performing. (pardon the yahoo sourcing, it just happened to be an article that includes links to a lot of these): https://news.yahoo.com/one-man-is-on-a-mission-to-figure-out-the-best-covidprotection-mask-here-is-what-he-found-174756926.html

I would say that would be neither comfortable, nor effective. The jersey masks are less effective than woven cotton masks, and I don’t believe either of those has a nose wire. A well fitted nose wire is essential for getting a good fit.

For the lazy ones amongst us, where would I buy those? Because I might like a fancier mask for certain situations myself. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Not_a_Number said:

For the lazy ones amongst us, where would I buy those? Because I might like a fancier mask for certain situations myself. 

Amazon has them, but there’s also a website called Behealthy USA that sells all of these. They even have some mix-and-match packs if you want to try different kinds. Here’s the Bluna, which tends to fit smaller faces well. They have a kids version also:

https://behealthyusa.net/collections/bluna-1/products/facefit-kf94-black-large?variant=36887298244772

I have ordered from the website and was happy with my order. 

eta: interestingly, the guy testing them found the black models tend to be a slightly stiffer and not collapse with breathing as much as the white ones. So for people who really appreciate good air space, black might be slightly preferred. I have both colors, and I honestly don’t really notice that. Both of them stay away from my mouth and nose when I breathe.

etaa: with the BLuna ones, they don’t prevent glasses fogging, because the air does pass through all of the filtration material, including the piece under the eyes. I’d have to look up which ones these are, but apparently some of the KF94s have an impermeable coating on that upper area so that the air doesn’t pass through the part of the filter that’s right under the eyes. ETA: I was looking for the ones that don’t do this, and I’m seeing a lot of reviewers saying that all the different brands I’ve mentioned here are their favorites for not fogging glasses. I rarely wear glasses, so I guess I’m not a good judge of which ones are good or bad at that.

Edited by KSera
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Not_a_Number said:

We get quite a good seal, but not like, "doesn't fog up the glasses" good. But they stay up nicely and go in and out as I breathe, so it feels like it's much more secure than practically everything else I see out there. 

In case it helps anyone, if I keep my mask up close to my eyes, my glasses don't fog in my Happy Mask. 

• Like 1

Just now, kbutton said:

In case it helps anyone, if I keep my mask up close to my eyes, my glasses don't fog in my Happy Mask. 

I don't wear glasses, and DH has a really long and narrow face, so it's not possible for him. And his glasses did fog up. 

Good to know that this works for some people, though. 

• 5 weeks later...
2 hours ago, I talk to the trees said:

I thought I would update this thread in case anyone else out there is interested. The medium HM was a perfect fit for dd. She said they are very comfortable and easy to breathe and talk through. Shipping took about a week. 

Happy Masks have been my go to this year. I teach and am masked from 7am-3pm every day. I like that they don't sit right on my mouth and have a little air pocket. Makes me feel less claustrophobic with breathing. I have asthma and these are the only ones I can comfortably wear all day. Glad it's working for her!! 

• Like 3

18 hours ago, I talk to the trees said:

I thought I would update this thread in case anyone else out there is interested. The medium HM was a perfect fit for dd. She said they are very comfortable and easy to breathe and talk through. Shipping took about a week. 

Glad it’s comfortable for her!

Remind her to remove mask and get good air and sunshine frequently as she’s able and to clean / sun the masks frequently  (eta or at least my similar age ds has needed such reminders - maybe an extra year and female doesn’t as much)

I hope her summer lab goes great!!!

Edited by Pen
  • Thanks 1