Menu

Know nothing about gaming systems, Nintendo questions

crazyforlatin

Are there any games that come with a Nintendo Switch? Why does it cost so much? 
https://www.target.com/p/nintendo-switch-with-neon-blue-and-neon-red-joy-con/-/A-77464001

Has anyone tried the Ring Fit? Dd fences and usually runs with the dog, but her activity level is still way down from last year before the pandemic. In order to use the Ring Fit, seems pricey as well, I would have to buy the above. 

https://www.target.com/p/ring-fit-adventure-nintendo-switch/-/A-76593324#lnk=sametab

We don't play games other than board games, and I don't even know what questions to ask to see if this is suitable for us. 

What Nintendo games do your teens/adults like to play?

My guys all love the Switch (well, the 20 yr old and 16 yr old). They play a wide range of games on it -- Animal Crossing, Zelda Breath of the Wild (and others), anything Mario related....I'm not sure which other games are Switch games and which are Xbox games (we have both). 

We have not yet tried the Ring Fit, although we had and used and enjoyed the Wii Fit version (the one that went with the Nintendo Wii/Wii U prior to the Switch).  It looks fun, but yes, you have to buy it and the Switch. 

One reason the Switch is so pricey -- one, that's relatively average for gaming systems; two, it can be played with the game cast to the TV screen, or played on the screen included with it as a portable device (my guys enjoy using it for times when we're watching a movie together that they are only somewhat interested in, LOL) (or they take it with them to grandparent's houses, etc., on trips, things like that). 

There are sometimes bundles that come with a game already, usually around Black Friday. You may also check if your local Game Stop has any used &/or used bundles to sell. 

You may also look up the Wii Fit version instead, although it looks less active than the Ring Fit, which seems pretty cool. Or, if you *are* going to spend that much, maybe look at things like the Occulus Quest, etc., instead -- there are some pretty active games for it, too, and it may have options that are more appealing to your dd (my 20 yr old LOVES the Beat Saber game on it; he ends up very sweaty, tired, etc. afterwards; it's a lot of fun). I think it's around $400, but honestly if you're going to do $299 + $79 + perhaps an additional game....worth comparing the two and see what might be a good option. 

• Thanks 1

The Switch is actually the cheapest of the newest gaming systems.  They are that expensive because of the cost to create them.  Nintendo doesn't actually make much money off of selling the systems themselves.  Not sure about the Switch but for the Wii they only made $6 off each system sold.  Other companies, Sony and Microsoft, have lost money on their systems. Selling games, subscriptions, accessories, and merch is how they make the real bucks

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks so much everyone!

So just to be clear, there are no built-in games on the Switch? It's just a device to play games, and every game has to be separately purchased? 

Is it just for 2 people at a time? I know the Ring is for one person at a time. If Dd has friends over, could her friends play a non-Ring game at the same time with her? 

I have the Ring Fit.  It’s pretty fun.  

Edit:  and yes, other games are multi-player.  When you look at buying a game check the info on the purchase page, it will tell you how many people and if you need extra controllers for multi-player.  (It comes with two, but some games are two-handed so each player needs two.)

Edited by Danae
  • Thanks 1

You can play multi player. I recommend getting a couple hand held controllers,the ones that pop off the console are kind of delicate. We have had one of these since last July and it is working great and much cheaper than the nintendo sold ones 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07YJP3XZW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

We have the ring. And it is a fun way to get some movement in while  playing a game.  Young kids probably wouldn't love it.  Early workouts are about 30 minutes.  I used it over the winter when the weather  was too cruddy to get outside to walk.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, crazyforlatin said:

Thanks so much everyone!

So just to be clear, there are no built-in games on the Switch? It's just a device to play games, and every game has to be separately purchased? 

Is it just for 2 people at a time? I know the Ring is for one person at a time. If Dd has friends over, could her friends play a non-Ring game at the same time with her? 

no built-in games, they need to be purchased separately.  Games can be multiplayer and will say so on the front of the game case.  The joycons, which are the two small controllers on the sides of the switch(usually seen as red and blue in advertisements) can be removed from the screen and each one is used as a single controller for some games but not all.  Mario Kart and Mario Party are great mulitplayer games to start with in my opinion.

If you are looking to save money on it I recommend checking out used bundles on ebay.  When I was purchasing recently the main things I looked for in a used bundle was no scratches on the screen, more than one controller, and a few games.

• Thanks 1

From my DD12 gamer:

"The Nintendo Switch may be expensive, but in my opinion it is the best gaming console. The official Nintendo Switch console comes with these parts: a tablet made up of one screen and two removable side-panels called Joycons, a small frame in which both Joycons can be inserted, two of pieces of plastic in which the Joycons can be inserted individually, and one charging pedestal that you plug into your tv.

There are five setups that you can create using these parts:

1. Insert tablet into charging pedestal. Remove the Joycons. Insert both Joycons into the small frame. From there, you are able to use the two Joycons as one controller and play your games on the tv.

2. Remove tablet from charging pedestal. Hold it like you would hold an iPad or other tablet. You use both the left Joycon with your left hand and the right Joycon with your right hand and play the games on the small screen.

3. Set tablet into charging pedestal. Slide each Joycon onto a small piece of plastic. Each player can use one of these as a controller and they can play the games on the tv.

4. Remove tablet from charging pedestal. Slide off both Joycons and set them in the frame. You will use this as one controller, but instead play your games on the small screen.

5. Remove tablet from charging pedestal. Remove Joycons. Slide each Joycon onto the small pieces of plastic. You can play your games on the small screen.

You can also buy a Nintendo Switch Light, which is cheaper but cannot connect to a tv. I do not know whether or not those Joycons are removable. 

You can also buy additional Joycons or a NIntendo Pro-Controller, which is similar to what you get when you set the two Joycons in the frame, except it is a little more comfortable to hold. 

One of the best games on the Nintendo Switch and my personal favorite video game is The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild. It is an open-world game in which you explore a kingdom as an elf-like being named Link. It is a mixture of combat, puzzle-solving, and exploration. However, it would probably be complicated for a beginning gamer. It is a single player game.

One almost essential household video game is Mario Kart 8. It is a car racing game which up to 4 players can play. You can also play in single player mode. 

Another popular household game is Super Mario Smash Bros Ultimate. It is a fighting game which up to 4 players can play. You are able to fight as characters from many different video games. You can also play in single player mode.

Another favorite of mine is Super Mario Maker 2. You can design your own video game levels and publish them on the internet for other people to play. Up to two players can design the levels at once. Up to four players can play the levels together.

If you want to have each family member have their own save files for each game, you can have different accounts where you won't encounter another player's progress in the game.

When it comes to most multi-player games, there is a 4 player limit. 

That's pretty much the basics. If you get a Switch, I hope you have fun!"

p.s. From me/Mom: I'm not a gamer and not good at video games in general, but I really enjoy Mario Kart 8! Beautiful graphics and fun game play. Not too complicated at all, but doesn't get boring. Good for all ages. 🙂 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

MercyA, please thank your sweet Dd. This is so useful, and I'll come back here to reread it after I get the Switch. I did read that Zelda is a fantastic game (I may even enjoy it) but didn't know it's single player, so that's useful to know. We're thinking if the teens are all vaxed in the summer, we could invite a couple of them over and at least have some entertainment. Thanks to your Dd for writing all this for me!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, KungFuPanda said:

Warning: Purchasing a Switch means someone will be constantly requesting yet another $60 game. If you thought buying printer ink was annoying . . .

If you give a mouse a cookie scenario.... 

Can games be shared among friends? 

12 minutes ago, crazyforlatin said:

Hold on to your wallet because some games can be played with friends only if both friends own the switch AND the game.  I'm looking at YOU Animal Crossing.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, KungFuPanda said:

Hold on to your wallet because some games can be played with friends only if both friends own the switch AND the game.  I'm looking at YOU Animal Crossing.

i see people keep saying this but my kids play Animal Crossing together and we only own one copy of the game.  They have multiple profiles on it though

1 hour ago, hjffkj said:

i see people keep saying this but my kids play Animal Crossing together and we only own one copy of the game.  They have multiple profiles on it though

I think it's so they can visit each other....??? 

My son says: you do have to have 2 switches with Animal Crossing on them, in order to play it together (be able to visit their island and all). How that worked for us was that the boys' both have one parent account on their switch, so the parent account bought the game and downloaded it onto one switch, then onto the other (the eshop allowed this), and in this manner they both have islands, characters, etc, and if they log on at the same time can visit one another at their respective islands. 

If we only had one switch, they would each have an account/profile on the game, but they wouldn't be able to play simultaneously/it's not a "multi-player game" in the normal sense. 

2 hours ago, crazyforlatin said:

Some games can be played multi-player using one switch/one copy of the game -- for ex, our guys will get lots of their friends together to play Mario Kart or Super Smash Bros Melee (or whatever the current iteration of that game is called). So, one switch, one game, their friends bring over their own controllers (or use some of our extras), and they are all able to play in our living room together on the TV. 

Some games can be played that way, *and* "online" -- meaning their friend can be at their house, in their living room, on their switch, with their copy of the game, and us in ours, with ours, and the kids can connect and play one another "remotely" against each other/with each other.  In that scenario, each has to have the game. 

Some games (most?) could be lent out and shared among friends like a little lending library, if they were very good friends, because you have to make a new profile and not go in and play on your friend's profile (so as not to be playing his progress, or if you start over, erasing his progress). But most games do offer the ability to have more than one profile on the game; I'm not entirely sure how to tell which games do/don't allow that. A lot do. 

Many are available for download from the Nintendo eShop, and a lot of those are less expensive (particularly indie games, etc.); there are definitely options better/cheaper than $60/pop for every single game. I mean, not the *big* titles.....but older games, etc. 

• Thanks 1