Menu

Best way to have a blog?

Not_a_Number

Do you want to start one for fun, or are you imagining a business?

Wordpress.com is an option for a free one, last I knew.

If you're imagining a business you might want to buy a domain name and server space, and take the time to customize a wordpress template (free or paid) on your own server.  That way you can post affiliate links and ads and learn money. Wordpress.com is an option for a server there, but there are a million others.

• Like 1

Just now, Katy said:

Do you want to start one for fun, or are you imagining a business?

Just for fun. When I think "business," I think actually making something, like finally getting around to making an app. This would just be me sharing pictures of DD4's and DD8's work -- I've been doing it on here, but I've run out of space 😂

Just now, Katy said:

Wordpress.com is an option for a free one, last I knew.

If you're imagining a business you might want to buy a domain name and server space, and take the time to customize a wordpress template (free or paid) on your own server.  That way you can post affiliate links and ads and learn money. Wordpress.com is an option for a server there, but there are a million others.

WordPress.com or WordPress.org? I seem to remember there's a difference... 

1 minute ago, Dreamergal said:

Blogs are not popular any more. I would say more instagram or even youtube where it could be a vlog if you want to just showcase their work. 

Excellent. Then most people won’t look 😂. I just want a place to share things with forum folks.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dreamergal said:

I think you can have videos on Instagram but short. Youtube is more length and you can make your channel private so you can invite whomever you want.

Yeah, I don’t want vids — just pictures and explanations. I don’t have the energy for vids — I actually have a babywearing YouTube channel with almost 2000 followers (I don’t post vids anymore, though), and vids take real energy.

Edited by Not_a_Number

11 minutes ago, Junie said:

Yes, many people write fairly long captions with their instagram photos.

I still don’t think it’s as good as a long explanation, though... I’ve scrolled around on Instagram and have found it pretty pedagogically useless. It’s mostly pictures 😞 

3 minutes ago, Not_a_Number said:

I still don’t think it’s as good as a long explanation, though... I’ve scrolled around on Instagram and have found it pretty pedagogically useless. It’s mostly pictures 😞 

Well, I have posted exactly zero things to instagram, so I'm no expert.  I mainly use it so that I can keep up with my college kids without using facebook. 😉

I think the problem might be that most people don't want to read long explanations.  Maybe it's a dumbing down phenomenon.

6 minutes ago, Junie said:

I think the problem might be that most people don't want to read long explanations.  Maybe it's a dumbing down phenomenon.

Oh, they definitely do NOT. But then I don't want to have a popular blog, particularly -- I've just run out of space on here to post pictures, and I want to post pictures of DD4's and DD8's work. We do things out of order, and I'd love a place to point people to explain what I mean by that. 

2 minutes ago, Not_a_Number said:

Oh, they definitely do NOT. But then I don't want to have a popular blog, particularly -- I've just run out of space on here to post pictures, and I want to post pictures of DD4's and DD8's work. We do things out of order, and I'd love a place to point people to explain what I mean by that. 

Ok, things that will cost you money: the domain name you use for it. ( 7-20 dollars a year depending on the name) Also, you can sign up with wordpress, that is true. But you want to sign up with some type of hosting company like Bluehost because they can do things like keep your site secure and block your personal information ( when you make a blog your personal information as far as who you are and where you live, etc. is public information unless you do something like this) You probably will not go this far, but if you want to send newsletters, then you need to sign up for a mail service like mailchimp or mailerlite.  Free versions are ok. However, you HAVE to have an address. Some people can use a church or business if the places they are affiliated are ok with it.  Many sign up for a post office box at 95 bucks a year.  Otherwise, you have to put your home address on it.  There are a lot of hidden fees with doing a blog.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, TexasProud said:

Ok, things that will cost you money: the domain name you use for it. ( 7-20 dollars a year depending on the name) Also, you can sign up with wordpress, that is true. But you want to sign up with some type of hosting company like Bluehost because they can do things like keep your site secure and block your personal information ( when you make a blog your personal information as far as who you are and where you live, etc. is public information unless you do something like this) You probably will not go this far, but if you want to send newsletters, then you need to sign up for a mail service like mailchimp or mailerlite.  Free versions are ok. However, you HAVE to have an address. Some people can use a church or business if the places they are affiliated are ok with it.  Many sign up for a post office box at 95 bucks a year.  Otherwise, you have to put your home address on it.  There are a lot of hidden fees with doing a blog.

Is the address publicly listed? 

2 minutes ago, R828 said:

If you don't mind having your blog name be blogname.wordpress.com and you are not looking at monetizing your blog, I think a free wordpress.com blog would work just fine. 

If you want a detailed explaination of the differences:

https://wordpress.com/support/com-vs-org/

I saw someone that wordpress.com will run ads... any idea if they are obtrusive or not? 

And no, I don't care bout the name. I expect to have like 10 visitors 😂

35 minutes ago, Not_a_Number said:

I saw someone that wordpress.com will run ads... any idea if they are obtrusive or not? 

And no, I don't care bout the name. I expect to have like 10 visitors 😂

I think the less popular your site is, the fewer, if any, ads they will bother to run. Lol. But yes, they technically could run ads, even ones you don't necessarily agree with.  If that would bother you, it would still be cheaper for you to pay for their personal plan (no ads and custom domain name), than self-hosting.  

Edited by R828
  • Like 1

Just now, R828 said:

I think the less popular your site is, the fewer, if any ads they will bother to run. Lol. But yes, they technically could run ads even ones you don't necessarily agree with.  If that would bother you it would still be cheaper for you to pay for their personal plan (No ads and custom domain name), than self-hosting.  

I self-host another website that I lost interest in, so I know it's a hassle. It's good to hear you can just buy the plan without ads and not worry about that. 

Is blogspot still a thing? Blogspot will make everything very easy for you. I use wordpress (.org) and it's fine and you can customize more, but there are costs involved, and it can be a pain if you need to do anything technical and don't really know how (that's me). 

27 minutes ago, Not_a_Number said:

I self-host another website that I lost interest in, so I know it's a hassle. It's good to hear you can just buy the plan without ads and not worry about that. 

Yes! It can be a hassle, especially for a blog you're not looking to monetize. 

27 minutes ago, kokotg said:

Is blogspot still a thing? Blogspot will make everything very easy for you. I use wordpress (.org) and it's fine and you can customize more, but there are costs involved, and it can be a pain if you need to do anything technical and don't really know how (that's me). 

I think it's Blogger now, but if I recall correctly, it's much more limited than the free wordpress.com.

Edited by R828
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Not_a_Number said:

Is the address publicly listed? 

The address you sign up for the website for will be publicly listed.  Then also, if you have a website, a real address must be put at the bottom of every newsletter. However, that only goes to your subscribers.

Just now, TexasProud said:

It is searchable somehow for blogs.  I'm not sure exactly how, but that 3rd parties like telemarketers can find it and use it.  When I get my stuff, it shows the address for the security people not me. 

I'll just put my current address, I guess? We'll move soon, anyway. 

6 minutes ago, Not_a_Number said:

OK, I actually started the blog!! It doesn't actually have anything yet, but I'm going to populate it in a bit. 

https://mentalmodelmath.com/

I think this is fantastic!   Ds19 has dyscalculia and math has always been a nightmare for him.    This is definitely something I would’ve been interested in when he was younger.  Good job!  💛

• Thanks 1

Just now, WildflowerMom said:

I think this is fantastic!   Ds19 has dyscalculia and math has always been a nightmare for him.    This is definitely something I would’ve been interested in when he was younger.  Good job!  💛

Aw, thank you!! Dyscalculia always sounds so difficult to work with 😞 . 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, EKS said:

I have bookmarked it and put the link in a place of honor right under the link to the forums here.  No pressure or anything 😁

I’m flattered!!

Honestly, I have TONS to say... just need to find the time 🙂 . It’s all been floating in my head for years, so getting it a methodical record down will be a relief.