Menu

Funny vaccine appt story

ktgrok

I went to the FEMA mass vaccine site today for my 2nd dose. As I was sitting in the recovery tent the national guard guy came over to ask how we were all feeling and if we had any questions. The woman next to me asked how important it was for younger people to be vaccinated, her son is 27 and doesn't want to get it. She and I ended up chatting, as I gave her some ideas on waht to say to him. Then after we walked out she was near me as we walked to the parking lot. She was on her phone, and I heard her talking to her son, telling him what I and the national guardsman had said. Then she saw me, and put her son on speaker phone so I could tell him directly! We ended up having a whole conversation, lol. 

Man, that's something, when your mom has a total stranger pressuring you, lol. (but I don't regret it one bit, and would do it again, lol)

• Like 11
  • Haha 11

3 hours ago, ktgrok said:

I went to the FEMA mass vaccine site today for my 2nd dose. As I was sitting in the recovery tent the national guard guy came over to ask how we were all feeling and if we had any questions. The woman next to me asked how important it was for younger people to be vaccinated, her son is 27 and doesn't want to get it. She and I ended up chatting, as I gave her some ideas on waht to say to him. Then after we walked out she was near me as we walked to the parking lot. She was on her phone, and I heard her talking to her son, telling him what I and the national guardsman had said. Then she saw me, and put her son on speaker phone so I could tell him directly! We ended up having a whole conversation, lol. 

Man, that's something, when your mom has a total stranger pressuring you, lol. (but I don't regret it one bit, and would do it again, lol)

LOL, did you convince him?  I don't think my adult kids would want a stranger (or anyone) giving them reasons to get the shot if they were against it.  

My youngest child (18) doesn't want the vaccine.  She's away at college now and can't get it because she reacts to vaccines.  When she's home for the summer I'm going to try to convince her to get it while she's home.  The timing is tricky since she does have reactions and she has a summer internship but I think it would be best for her to get it when she's not in school.  

ETA  @ktgrok If you were successful, I may give you dd's number!  🙂

Edited by Kassia
  • Like 4

5 minutes ago, Kassia said:

LOL, did you convince him?  I don't think my adult kids would want a stranger (or anyone) giving them reasons to get the shot if they were against it.  

My youngest child (18) doesn't want the vaccine.  She's away at college now and can't get it because she reacts to vaccines.  When she's home for the summer I'm going to try to convince her to get it while she's home.  The timing is tricky since she does have reactions and she has a summer internship but I think it would be best for her to get it when she's not in school.  

ETA  @ktgrok If you were successful, I'm may give you dd's number!  🙂

You know, I think I helped? I did bring on some guilt, telling him that I Have a kid with an autoimmune disease who is too young to be vaccinated, so the more people that can, the safer he is. 

It turned out he'd heard that it takes 6 yrs to test a vaccine...so I explained how steps were not skipped, but just run at the same time. That normally it is a financial risk to do that - they don't want to waste money on steps 4 and 5 if step 2 doesn't work, but in this case it was worth the risk to do so. And that historically, vaccine reactions turn up in 14 days and we are well past that. And that MORE people have been vaccinated than usually happens this quickly, so we'd see if there were a ton of problems. 

Hopefully that helped 🙂

• Like 13
  • Thanks 2

I’m not stressing over telling everyone they need to get vaccinated.  A gal I work with said she wouldn’t get it bc it might cause infertility or birth defects. I’ve met several younger people who say this reason. I mean on the one hand, I don’t think it will. And on the other hand, I had no idea so many people actually wanted kids anyways. Seems like the majority of people under 30 that I meet do not want children.

I’m not pressuring any of my kids to get it. They aren’t at high risk for adverse response to either the vax or the covid and I strongly suspect covid will need repeat shots similar to flu vaccines every flu season. Some of them get flu shots and some don’t for various reasons. As time goes by more will feel more comfortable about it bc it won’t be “new” and because life will help them make the decision. For example, Dh and I and a couple grown kids want to travel and I suspect that will not be an option without a vax stamped passport before long. Even if we weren’t higher risk - we’d do it for that reason. A friend is really ticked off that she can’t work without the vax (acute medical care related) and she wants to travel too. So she begrudgingly got it. 

14 minutes ago, Murphy101 said:

I’m not stressing over telling everyone they need to get vaccinated.  

well, this woman was asking for help. And as I have a high risk kid, who won't be eligible to be vaccinated until next year, I'm okay with reminding people of that - that they are much more likely to be able to handle the vaccine side effects than a high risk person can handle actual Covid, and the faster we get to herd immunity the better for those people. 

And I'm VERY okay with correcting misinformation - mostly because if I am misinformed I sure want someone to tell me! 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ktgrok said:

It turned out he'd heard that it takes 6 yrs to test a vaccine...so I explained how steps were not skipped, but just run at the same time. That normally it is a financial risk to do that - they don't want to waste money on steps 4 and 5 if step 2 doesn't work, but in this case it was worth the risk to do so. And that historically, vaccine reactions turn up in 14 days and we are well past that. And that MORE people have been vaccinated than usually happens this quickly, so we'd see if there were a ton of problems. 

I think too many people have been convinced that it takes YEARS to test a vaccine properly and one that arrived so quickly must have issues of either being ineffective or having unknown side effects. They (CDC? FDA?) NIH?) should spend some money on correcting that misinformation.

1 hour ago, kand said:

And there's another of those misinformation things going around. I'm seeing a lot of CDC info showing up on my fb feed, Twitter, and news sources. Maybe they are ramping up the information trying to reach more people.

I have no problem trying to convince people to get vaccinated if they have no true medical reason not to. I have a granddaughter at risk due to Down Syndrome and the fact that she's to young for the vaccine anyway. Thankfully ds 23 needed no convincing and was thrilled that he was offered it at work back in February- he works in a rehab +long term care facility. 

Edited by Lady Florida.
  • Like 4

6 hours ago, ktgrok said:

well, this woman was asking for help. And as I have a high risk kid, who won't be eligible to be vaccinated until next year, I'm okay with reminding people of that - that they are much more likely to be able to handle the vaccine side effects than a high risk person can handle actual Covid, and the faster we get to herd immunity the better for those people. 

And I'm VERY okay with correcting misinformation - mostly because if I am misinformed I sure want someone to tell me! 

Oh I wasn’t saying you should not have spoken to her when she is obviously wanting to chat about it. What a lovely communal exchange!  I chat all the time about it these days bc it is pretty much THE topic everywhere currently. When do you get it and how was it afterwards and so forth. Just saying *I* am not arguing with anyone to try to talk them in to it. 🙂

5 hours ago, kand said:

I think some people are looking for an excuse not to get it. IME they have all been antimaskers and anti distancing covid is just a mild flu let natural selection have its way kind of people.  So yeah. I just change the topic and move on. Literally if it’s an option. 🙂

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Murphy101 said:

I think some people are looking for an excuse not to get it. IME they have all been antimaskers and anti distancing covid is just a mild flu let natural selection have its way kind of people. 

The people I know who have concerns about it causing infertility DO wear masks and distance; they just want proof the vaccine is unlikely to jeopardize their ability to have biological children.