Menu

S/O -- Card or board games well suited to two *older* players

We have not yet decided where we will spend this Christmas. If we opt to stay home, it will be a big change from Christmases past when we were immersed in the comings and goings of extended family. A great new game(s) for my daughters - 12 and 14 - might be a useful time filler. Unfortunately, neither dh nor I are very big on games, though, especially once we're past the holiday. So, game ideas for two will have more longevity.

We own Rook, Uno, Stratego, Mancala, Parcheesi, Chinese Checkers...others I'm forgetting. Younger dd isn't such a great strategist, so Chess and Backgammon don't fly as well here because she usually gets creamed by her older sister.

We're a tricky bunch, aren't we? :D

We have not yet decided where we will spend this Christmas. If we opt to stay home, it will be a big change from Christmases past when we were immersed in the comings and goings of extended family. A great new game(s) for my daughters - 12 and 14 - might be a useful time filler. Unfortunately, neither dh nor I are very big on games, though, especially once we're past the holiday. So, game ideas for two will have more longevity.

We own Rook, Uno, Stratego, Mancala, Parcheesi, Chinese Checkers...others I'm forgetting. Younger dd isn't such a great strategist, so Chess and Backgammon don't fly as well here because she usually gets creamed by her older sister.

Dd loves Set. And we all like Dutch Blitz.

We own Rook, Uno, Stratego, Mancala, Parcheesi, Chinese :D

Well, it isn't something you buy, but have you introduced them to Euchre? If you go to wikipedia they describe 4 man Euchre, and if you click on their Euchre variations you'll see two ways of doing it two man.

It looks complex, but with a grown up to tutor, any normal kid with any card sense can pick it up and feel rather grown up playing it.

Cigar smoke, whiskey, and gambling is optional :)

I played many a middle of the night game with my father, who sat up some nights, and when I'd see the light on, I'd come padding down to help him grade his papers, and then play euchre.

Rack-o

Battleship

Hangman

Can't Stop

Game of 99

Sorry

Connect Four

Careers

Perfection

Booby Trap

Go to www.funagaingames.com for some ideas and good prices. We've bought several games there below retail price (we bought all our Setters of Catan games there for less than retail, even including shipping). You can click on the Family or 2-player tab at the top (there's a lot of games not in the 2-player category that can be played with 2 players).

Cribbage! Dh, who is brainy, hated the fact that I would often beat him at Cribbage, as I am not the brainy one. :D