Menu

March Frugalistas 2021

mommyoffive

Soror, I hear you on the stressful phone calls. I let those pile up and then have to go through a slew of them at once. It's not a great way to deal with them.

Yay on the vaca fund!

Hope your tax refund comes through soon. Mine is slated for later this week. DH is excited to go car shopping. Fortunately, he can take my uncle (newly vaccinated so he can go!) because I hate such things. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Soror said:

That is a great deal. I've thought about it but don't have one in my city and don't go there often for that kind of deal might be worth it anyway.

Bought some wanted kitchen items as they were a good deal on special buy at Aldi's last week. Also, finally bought a new pillow at Wal-Mart. Went ahead and bought bulk for some pantry items so the grocery budget will be squeezed between $100 for pork and $80 for pantry supplies that only leaves $420 this month.

Dh sold an older nail gun to help pay for a newer one for building the shop. In the end it will end up a wash cash wise but he will have newer nicer equipment with lower operating costs.

Redeemed cash back on CC for vaca along with my paycheck this month I'm at 52.6% funded for the vaca.

Bought DisneyPlus subscription while Ibotta had a rebate going. I had been wanting to so we could watch WandaVision and some other upcoming shoes but have been waiting on the rebate.

Have to send a letter to the collection agency today disputing the charge. I am also awaiting another call from insurance on this and also the bill that has been denied. The insurance supervisor called last week, some of the charges have been paid and she is working on the others.

Still waiting on tax refund!

Budget reconciled this morning.

Still need to call the endodontist re: refund on overpayment. I'm really tired of stressful phone calls, last week had enough for the month.

Ugh I wish I had seen the Disney Plus rebate. 

Sorry about stressful phone calls.  Isn't being an adult fun?  Not at all.  We are still calling about the 1k doctor bill trying to get someone to talk to us.  Multiple phone calls and we haven't gotten any further.  It seems like once you get done with one bill there is just another one to deal with. 

• Sad 2

49 minutes ago, historically accurate said:

Soror, I hear you on the stressful phone calls. I let those pile up and then have to go through a slew of them at once. It's not a great way to deal with them.

Yay on the vaca fund!

Hope your tax refund comes through soon. Mine is slated for later this week. DH is excited to go car shopping. Fortunately, he can take my uncle (newly vaccinated so he can go!) because I hate such things. 

Yay for dh handling the car buying.  I find the buying of a car 0 fun too.   One dh goes back into the office we will probably buy him a new car.  I like having a new car, but the stress of going to buy one is awful.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

Ugh I wish I had seen the Disney Plus rebate. 

Sorry about stressful phone calls.  Isn't being an adult fun?  Not at all.  We are still calling about the 1k doctor bill trying to get someone to talk to us.  Multiple phone calls and we haven't gotten any further.  It seems like once you get done with one bill there is just another one to deal with. 

You can get a free couple weeks of Disney + by buying cereals. https://www.offers.com/blog/post/disney-plus-free-select-cereals/ My brother and I are planning on it. 

Edited by historically accurate
  • Like 2

Trying to remember the weekend.

Ordered free meals for the week

The kids got their 3rd Christmas presents from my family yesterday.  So I am busy decluttering other things.  It had gotten cancelled a lot for weather reasons so I hadn't decluttered in advance.  So now my house looks like it does Christmas morning.  AHHHH.

A few of my kids are back in the studio.  So added gas and other expenses. 

Will have some returns to do this week. 

Got some discount clothes for the kids this week. 

• Like 3

I picked up free lunches this morning, and she gave me 5 sacks! She gave everybody 5 sacks - that's a lot of food. I went to the school near the post office, so now I know if I need extra food, I can go there. 

I dropped off a sale at the post office. I had put up a nativity creche back before Christmas, and it hadn't sold. I forgot to remove it from FB. Lady bought it yesterday - I had to dig it out of the Christmas bins yesterday. But yay! gone and I made a few bucks.

Kids have orthodontist appointments later today. It's the x-ray day for youngest DD, so I'll have to make a payment for that. 

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Thatboyofmine said:

I sold a piece of rare pottery today for $450 on eBay!   That is going towards an extra truck payment so we can pay it off a month sooner at the end of the year!! Woohoo!   I can't believe it actually sold for that much.  I'm gobsmacked.  

WOW!!!!!

You guys are all rocking Ebay!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Thatboyofmine said:

I sold a piece of rare pottery today for $450 on eBay!   That is going towards an extra truck payment so we can pay it off a month sooner at the end of the year!! Woohoo!   I can't believe it actually sold for that much.  I'm gobsmacked.  

that is fantastic!! who was it by that it went for such a high value?  

• Like 2

Called endodontist and will be getting a $20 refund but it will be a couple of weeks or so due to waiting on paperwork.

Mailed letter to collections agency disputing the charge and asking for validation, sent it with tracking.

Just realized I didn't plan a menu Sunday so I need to get on that today and my grocery list for tonight.

• Like 3

I spent the morning at the DMV - ugh. We got mDD a state ID so she can try the ACT. It was only $5 to get the ID, so I was happy about that. 

Came home and registered her for the April ACT. I'd forgotten how much it cost. $55 plus $22 to get her answers and questions to review. As this is her first foray as a baseline, we went ahead and paid the $22 so we can have some targeted study areas (*cough* math *cough*). I could've paid about $700 for a review class, but I declined haha.

My brother entered me in a sweepstakes and I won an over the door basketball hoop and a 12 cent off/gallon gas coupon. Weird, but ok, I guess.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, historically accurate said:

I spent the morning at the DMV - ugh. We got mDD a state ID so she can try the ACT. It was only $5 to get the ID, so I was happy about that. 

Came home and registered her for the April ACT. I'd forgotten how much it cost. $55 plus $22 to get her answers and questions to review. As this is her first foray as a baseline, we went ahead and paid the $22 so we can have some targeted study areas (*cough* math *cough*). I could've paid about $700 for a review class, but I declined haha.

My brother entered me in a sweepstakes and I won an over the door basketball hoop and a 12 cent off/gallon gas coupon. Weird, but ok, I guess.

Is your Mdd in 9th grade?  Is that when you should start taking the ACT?   My oldest was supposed to take the ACT Aspire this year.  Is that a practice test for the ACT?  I am thinking we are not going to do that  because of Covid.  Why does she have to have a state ID to take the ACT?   

Are you keeping the basketball hoop?  I am getting rid of a few of those indoor hoops this week.  We have an indoor big freestanding one that we have had for years and not gotten more than 15 mins of play out of it.  And we have more over the door ones new in box.  I am just getting rid of things that they really don't use. 

3 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

Is your Mdd in 9th grade?  Is that when you should start taking the ACT?   My oldest was supposed to take the ACT Aspire this year.  Is that a practice test for the ACT?  I am thinking we are not going to do that  because of Covid.  Why does she have to have a state ID to take the ACT?   

Are you keeping the basketball hoop?  I am getting rid of a few of those indoor hoops this week.  We have an indoor big freestanding one that we have had for years and not gotten more than 15 mins of play out of it.  And we have more over the door ones new in box.  I am just getting rid of things that they really don't use. 

Yep, she's in 9th grade now. My older didn't take it until summer between Soph/Junior because she has some learning disabilities we were sorting out. She took it then, and then took it again right before senior year to see if she could raise her score. I only took it one time way back when I was in high school. This kid wants to see where her score is so she can target improvements/studies as she wants to chase some scholarship money. 

I think the Aspire is more like a standardized test at the end of the year as it's offered for every grade from 3rd onward, but they add in how close the student is to "college readiness". 

You have to have a photo ID to take the ACT test now. State ID it is since she doesn't have a school ID. 

I am thinking about either donating or trying to sell the basketball hoop on ebay. They're selling on there for $25ish. This one comes with a deflated ball and small pump, so I'd throw those in as bonuses. I don't think any of the kids would use the hoop so I won't be keeping it. It's just how much effort I want to put into getting rid of it. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, historically accurate said:

Yep, she's in 9th grade now. My older didn't take it until summer between Soph/Junior because she has some learning disabilities we were sorting out. She took it then, and then took it again right before senior year to see if she could raise her score. I only took it one time way back when I was in high school. This kid wants to see where her score is so she can target improvements/studies as she wants to chase some scholarship money. 

I think the Aspire is more like a standardized test at the end of the year as it's offered for every grade from 3rd onward, but they add in how close the student is to "college readiness". 

You have to have a photo ID to take the ACT test now. State ID it is since she doesn't have a school ID. 

I am thinking about either donating or trying to sell the basketball hoop on ebay. They're selling on there for $25ish. This one comes with a deflated ball and small pump, so I'd throw those in as bonuses. I don't think any of the kids would use the hoop so I won't be keeping it. It's just how much effort I want to put into getting rid of it. 

Ok.  I am learning everything about high school aged kids.  I guess in non Covid times I should have had dd take the ACT.  Hopefully next year. 

My oldest doesn't have an state ID either.  I am guessing they take passports though, she has one of those. 

3 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

Ok.  I am learning everything about high school aged kids.  I guess in non Covid times I should have had dd take the ACT.  Hopefully next year. 

My oldest doesn't have an state ID either.  I am guessing they take passports though, she has one of those. 

Learning the "counselor" part of high school was/is one of the hardest part of high school! I'm pretty sure that a passport would be acceptable ID.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, mommyoffive said:

7 hours ago, historically accurate said:

Learning the "counselor" part of high school was/is one of the hardest part of high school! I'm pretty sure that a passport would be acceptable ID.

I had to go check because I was curious.  It says passports are acceptable as long as the photo is recognizable as the person who is taking the test.  I don't remember exactly how long passports are good for but if the photo on it is of them much younger than they currently are, or if they've drastically changed their appearance, they may not accept the passport.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Congress passes $1.9T Covid relief bill, with $1,400 checks, in major win for Biden (msn.com)

The legislation will grant $1,400 direct payments to individuals making under $75,000 and $2,800 to married couples who make less than $150,000. Individuals making up to $80,000 and joint filers up to $160,000 will get some money but not the full amount. The direct cash includes up to $1,400 per dependent, including adult dependents.

The bill provides $300-a-week in enhanced jobless benefits through Sept. 6. And it would expand the annual child tax credit to $3,600 for children up to age 5 and $3,000 for children aged 6 to 17.

In addition to direct payments and child tax credits, the bill would provide

$14 billion for vaccine distribution, $49 billion for Covid-19 testing, contact tracing and personal protective equipment. It also includes $125 billion for K-12 schools and nearly $40 billion for high education. It would provide $39 billion in child care grants, $25 billion in rental assistance and $30 billion for public transit as well.

$350 billion in state and local aid and $128.6 billion to help K-12 schools reopen. $25 billion in aid to restaurants and other food and drinking establishments.

$19 billion in emergency rental assistance,

$100 million to housing counseling programs and

$5 billion to help combat homelessness.

$7.25 billion in funds for Paycheck Protection Program loans for small businesses.

$7.5 billion in Centers for Disease Control and Protection funding for vaccine distribution.

Increased subsidies for Americans buying health care through the Affordable Care Act.

An extension of 15% increased federal SNAP benefits through September.

About $7.2 billion for the Federal Communications Commission to ensure that all students have internet access during remote learning.

What’s in the $1.9 trillion COVID relief bill Congress just passed - Axios

• Like 3

I’m trying to find out more about the healthcare stuff, but I’m not finding what I’m looking for. If it’s a straight 8.5% cap, I’ll be saving a little bit of money. If it’s only for up to silver plans, then it doesn’t apply to me.

I’d LOVE the break. I pay about 10% for me and the kids, and then Dh has his own employer policy for a few hundred more.  Sigh.

• Like 2

I found a gorgeous brushed nickel 5 light chandelier at Goodwill for $4.99 today.  I could likely get $150 selling it locally.  However,  I can't decide if I should store it for my parents' house because we do need one for the dining room when we get it ready to sell

• Like 2

21 hours ago, mommyoffive said:

Congress passes $1.9T Covid relief bill, with $1,400 checks, in major win for Biden (msn.com)

The legislation will grant $1,400 direct payments to individuals making under $75,000 and $2,800 to married couples who make less than $150,000. Individuals making up to $80,000 and joint filers up to $160,000 will get some money but not the full amount. The direct cash includes up to $1,400 per dependent, including adult dependents.

The bill provides $300-a-week in enhanced jobless benefits through Sept. 6. And it would expand the annual child tax credit to $3,600 for children up to age 5 and $3,000 for children aged 6 to 17.

In addition to direct payments and child tax credits, the bill would provide

$14 billion for vaccine distribution, $49 billion for Covid-19 testing, contact tracing and personal protective equipment. It also includes $125 billion for K-12 schools and nearly $40 billion for high education. It would provide $39 billion in child care grants, $25 billion in rental assistance and $30 billion for public transit as well.

$350 billion in state and local aid and $128.6 billion to help K-12 schools reopen. $25 billion in aid to restaurants and other food and drinking establishments.

$19 billion in emergency rental assistance,

$100 million to housing counseling programs and

$5 billion to help combat homelessness.

$7.25 billion in funds for Paycheck Protection Program loans for small businesses.

$7.5 billion in Centers for Disease Control and Protection funding for vaccine distribution.

Increased subsidies for Americans buying health care through the Affordable Care Act.

An extension of 15% increased federal SNAP benefits through September.

About $7.2 billion for the Federal Communications Commission to ensure that all students have internet access during remote learning.

What’s in the $1.9 trillion COVID relief bill Congress just passed - Axios

Thank God, we are going to need it after this emergency surgery, me losing a couple days of work and him losing 2 weeks at least.

• Sad 3

@hjffkj score on the chandelier!

@saraha so sorry to hear about the medical emergency. I am very glad that the relief bill hit at the right time for you! Edit: I used your lentil/meat mixture instructions the other night. DH really liked the sloppy joes that way. yDD liked it; mDD isn't a sloppy joe eater normally, so she didn't try it. Thank you for that!

@Thatboyofmine sorry about your pup. It's nice that he will get a fun excursion with you.

For me:

picked up school lunches today. We are overstocked on milk now, so I'm thinking I'll make pancakes or waffles soon. 

picked up a new-to-me air fryer yesterday. Used it last night and for lunch today. I am kind of in love with it - have done chicken fingers, fries (last night) and reheated some frozen pizza for lunch.

paid $6 for a car wash yesterday to wash off all of the road salt.

bought mDD a pair of compression shorts to try. She should wear compression stockings all the time, but summer is crazy hot to wear those. I am hoping these will work. 

doing meal plan/grocery ordering today. Have to plan around yDD's wisdom teeth coming out this coming week. I will probably use some of our surplus of milk to make pudding and milkshakes for the first day.

trying to plan what to do with our covid relief money. I'm thinking a little toward debt, a little toward sinking funds, a little toward upcoming expenses. Not used to such big chunks of change although I could definitely get used to it LOL!

thinking I'll sell the backboard/hoop I won. Also my mom bought yDD an Easter dress, but it's a little large. Mom said to pass it on or sell. I don't know many people with girls in size 14, so I'll probably list it for sale. 

Edited by historically accurate
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, Carrie12345 said:

Anyone aware of fantastic vacuum deals? I’ll be searching, but I’ll take any leads.

I need a new cordless stick vac because I tried to be frugal by getting an off brand one less than 6 months ago that will no longer hold a charge. đŸ˜•Â 

I'll be looking for a cordless variety soon.  For some reason the roller stopped working on mine.  It works fine for the low setting for hard floors but since I actually only use it on carpet, I need the higher setting that involves the roller to work.  I tried to see if anything was caught but it's totally clean. One suggestion I saw said to replace the belt but I've dismantled the thing once when we got a hole in the tube and it was such a pain, I'm not sure I'm willing to do that again for somethings that isn't a sure thing fix.

I do have another full sized vacuum so at least I don't have to rush but it's a pain to have to carry it between floors.

Not necessarily frugal but thought you guys would appreciate, guess it saved me from having to drive in town and try to buy something. 
Special chair we rented for dh won’t arrive til tomorrow evening, and no one I could get a hold of had a travel pillow so while he was taking a post op nap I sewed a modified travel pillow like thing out of a pair of ds’s old pajama pants and the stuffing from a throw pillow and we’ve got him crossways on the hide a bed with his head propped up on this goofy pillow sitting on top of the box our generator came in, so he can be facedown and look at his kindle laying on the floor, haha! 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, saraha said:

Thank God, we are going to need it after this emergency surgery, me losing a couple days of work and him losing 2 weeks at least.

Biden just signed it.  So checks are going to start arriving at the end of the month.   I am so sorry your dh is going through the eye  issue.  I am hoping he has a fast and easy recovery. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Thatboyofmine said:

@mommyoffive, thanks for doing this thread every month.  I don't post as much as I should, but y'all inspire me to do my best with our budget.  I learn so much from y'all. đŸ’›

we are headed out of town for a few days, hopefully not spending much.  I'll be taking my Christmas money just in case I see something small and on sale for the kids' stockings.  

I had to get eye drops for the chihuahua yesterday, $28.  Of course, we don't care.  I'll eat beans and rice every night if it means he's comfortable.  He's got glaucoma and that's why his eyes have been so teary.   He doesn't have much longer, my guess is a month.  He's going on vacation with us today.  He'll be happy with lots of fresh places to mark. đŸ˜†

I spent $100 yesterday for groceries for the kids while we're gone.   At least they'll save money by not eating out.    

$25 to fill up my gas tank.   

Awww enjoy your vacation.  We need to go on one soon.  We need a change of pace.  

I am sad to hear about your dog. Sending lots of hugs.    I hope he has a great time with you.  

1 hour ago, historically accurate said:

@hjffkj score on the chandelier!

@saraha so sorry to hear about the medical emergency. I am very glad that the relief bill hit at the right time for you! Edit: I used your lentil/meat mixture instructions the other night. DH really liked the sloppy joes that way. yDD liked it; mDD isn't a sloppy joe eater normally, so she didn't try it. Thank you for that!

@Thatboyofmine sorry about your pup. It's nice that he will get a fun excursion with you.

For me:

picked up school lunches today. We are overstocked on milk now, so I'm thinking I'll make pancakes or waffles soon. 

picked up a new-to-me air fryer yesterday. Used it last night and for lunch today. I am kind of in love with it - have done chicken fingers, fries (last night) and reheated some frozen pizza for lunch.

paid $6 for a car wash yesterday to wash off all of the road salt.

bought mDD a pair of compression shorts to try. She should wear compression stockings all the time, but summer is crazy hot to wear those. I am hoping these will work. 

doing meal plan/grocery ordering today. Have to plan around yDD's wisdom teeth coming out this coming week. I will probably use some of our surplus of milk to make pudding and milkshakes for the first day.

trying to plan what to do with our covid relief money. I'm thinking a little toward debt, a little toward sinking funds, a little toward upcoming expenses. Not used to such big chunks of change although I could definitely get used to it LOL!

thinking I'll sell the backboard/hoop I won. Also my mom bought yDD an Easter dress, but it's a little large. Mom said to pass it on or sell. I don't know many people with girls in size 14, so I'll probably list it for sale. 

Ha.

So you love the air fryer?  I have heard so many people love them.  Dh wanted one for Christmas and then changed his mind.  Maybe we need one?  

I need to get my car washed it is so gross, even though I barely went anywhere. 

1 minute ago, mommyoffive said:

Ha.

So you love the air fryer?  I have heard so many people love them.  Dh wanted one for Christmas and then changed his mind.  Maybe we need one?  

I need to get my car washed it is so gross, even though I barely went anywhere. 

I do love it. I am thinking I should cook everything in there - the fries were way crispier than they ever get in the oven. yDD said at lunch, "You keep talking about that thing [air fryer]. Wow, you're old." Yes, yes, I am, sweet DD, thank you for pointing that outđŸ˜‚.

The one I got has a broken handle, but I figured it's still functional. If it became less functional, then I'd know if I wanted to replace it. My friend replaced it with a different model that had a sturdier handle. This one is an Instant Vortex (the Instant Pot brand).

• Like 2

Overall we've been doing pretty good.  The 1/2 beef went in last Friday and it was smaller than some years (which was a good thing because I still have some leftovers from last year) so I didn't need as much as I had saved so I'm rolling the overage into the home improvement fund.  We had planned to replace our weathered and falling apart deck with a composite deck.  The reality of the matter is we never use the deck for anything than another place for me to grow more plants on.  In light of that we are considered building a sunroom instead.  Obviously not a frugal project by any stretch of the imagination but something I've always thought would be great to have but never expected to be able to afford.  If we reprioritize projects (yet again), between what we have saved and the stimulus money we'd have at least half of it already.  The annoying part is we JUST refinanced (aka the new loan hasn't even started yet). The mortgage officer said we could refinance again and do a cash out option.  We would have to pay some points as well as the refinance fee but I waiting to hear back exactly what that would be.  The rate on the mortgage is .75% higher than the first year of a HELOC but after the first year, the mortgage would be 1.75% cheaper.  Since it's more than we could pay off in a year or two.  I'm pretty sure tacking it onto the mortgage is a better deal than taking a HELOC but will know for sure on numbers when the loan officer gets back to me. 

We've talked to one company about the conversion.  I have 3 more appointments scheduled.  One  business I'm waiting to hear back from. Then another guy from our church who does various projects.  He's suppose to give me an opinion on this project and a few more out door things we are considering as well.  

I don't know if we will be able to pull it off but it's going to keep me busy the next couple of weeks while we explore the options. 

I did get my boys bedroom and the landing flooring replaced so we have 1 room (the master bedroom) that needs to be repainted and recarpeted and I will have redone the entire interior of the house in the last 2 years.  The funny part is the master bedroom is the one room in the house that was never painted and it still has the original paint that the building sprayed on.  Every other room in the house has been painted 2-3 already.  Somehow our room always gets pushed to last and with the sunroom thing, it's likely it will get pushed again. 

Before the sunroom came up, we had already ordered new Roman Shades for our room.  The first order we did, they messed it up and I returned them and they reordered.  When I ordered the first time they were on sale, but the second time they weren't so they did a price adjustment but at the time of the second order it had a storewide side of 11% off mail in rebate.  So I got the sale price from the first order plus the 11% rebate that was going on during the second sale. When they went to reorder the internet ordering system was down so the guy did a manual entry.  We had ordered Roman shades with the standard opening (I didn't want to pay extra for the top down design because I didn't know if I would like them), well they sent the top down and the fabric valance (which also cost extra) and we love this style.  So even though we had to deal with no window coverings for 3 weeks, I'm really happy with the end of the story.

Heading into my busy season (I work in a greenhouse) so I will have higher gas the next few months but then in June, I can add my paycheck to the home improvement fund. 

Oh I did call my insurance about car stuff and they have this program where they track your driving for 90 days and then you get a 10-30% discount depending on how you drive.  The guarantee your rates will not go up no matter how bad you drive but if your drive well you can see good savings and that discount is locked in for life.  Anyone ever do one of those things before?  I'm not crazy about them monitoring driving habits (all 4 drivers in the house have to participate) but based on the average discount (we could save over $500 a year across the 4 vehicles).

Edited by cjzimmer1
  • Like 3

As of today I'm at $750 gross sales.  We have been slacking off on listing and it has shown in lack of sales.  So, for the rest of the month my goal is listing 5 items a day.  Off to go do that now.  It is a beautiful day so we're taking our picture taking outside.

• Like 3

Just now, Thatboyofmine said:

Oh gosh, I’m laughing. I can’t help it. Â đŸ˜†. I hope his recovery goes well and is over quickly!  

Right?!? I must be slap happy from stress and lack of sleep. His special chair comes tomorrow, til then it’s redneck style. He says it’s more comfortable than the couch 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, hjffkj said:

As of today I'm at $750 gross sales.  We have been slacking off on listing and it has shown in lack of sales.  So, for the rest of the month my goal is listing 5 items a day.  Off to go do that now.  It is a beautiful day so we're taking our picture taking outside.

What is your goal for the month?

1 hour ago, cjzimmer1 said:

Overall we've been doing pretty good.  The 1/2 beef went in last Friday and it was smaller than some years (which was a good thing because I still have some leftovers from last year) so I didn't need as much as I had saved so I'm rolling the overage into the home improvement fund.  We had planned to replace our weathered and falling apart deck with a composite deck.  The reality of the matter is we never use the deck for anything than another place for me to grow more plants on.  In light of that we are considered building a sunroom instead.  Obviously not a frugal project by any stretch of the imagination but something I've always thought would be great to have but never expected to be able to afford.  If we reprioritize projects (yet again), between what we have saved and the stimulus money we'd have at least half of it already.  The annoying part is we JUST refinanced (aka the new loan hasn't even started yet). The mortgage officer said we could refinance again and do a cash out option.  We would have to pay some points as well as the refinance fee but I waiting to hear back exactly what that would be.  The rate on the mortgage is .75% higher than the first year of a HELOC but after the first year, the mortgage would be 1.75% cheaper.  Since it's more than we could pay off in a year or two.  I'm pretty sure tacking it onto the mortgage is a better deal than taking a HELOC but will know for sure on numbers when the loan officer gets back to me. 

We've talked to one company about the conversion.  I have 3 more appointments scheduled.  One  business I'm waiting to hear back from. Then another guy from our church who does various projects.  He's suppose to give me an opinion on this project and a few more out door things we are considering as well.  

I don't know if we will be able to pull it off but it's going to keep me busy the next couple of weeks while we explore the options. 

I did get my boys bedroom and the landing flooring replaced so we have 1 room (the master bedroom) that needs to be repainted and recarpeted and I will have redone the entire interior of the house in the last 2 years.  The funny part is the master bedroom is the one room in the house that was never painted and it still has the original paint that the building sprayed on.  Every other room in the house has been painted 2-3 already.  Somehow our room always gets pushed to last and with the sunroom thing, it's likely it will get pushed again. 

Before the sunroom came up, we had already ordered new Roman Shades for our room.  The first order we did, they messed it up and I returned them and they reordered.  When I ordered the first time they were on sale, but the second time they weren't so they did a price adjustment but at the time of the second order it had a storewide side of 11% off mail in rebate.  So I got the sale price from the first order plus the 11% rebate that was going on during the second sale. When they went to reorder the internet ordering system was down so the guy did a manual entry.  We had ordered Roman shades with the standard opening (I didn't want to pay extra for the top down design because I didn't know if I would like them), well they sent the top down and the fabric valance (which also cost extra) and we love this style.  So even though we had to deal with no window coverings for 3 weeks, I'm really happy with the end of the story.

Heading into my busy season (I work in a greenhouse) so I will have higher gas the next few months but then in June, I can add my paycheck to the home improvement fund. 

Oh I did call my insurance about car stuff and they have this program where they track your driving for 90 days and then you get a 10-30% discount depending on how you drive.  The guarantee your rates will not go up no matter how bad you drive but if your drive well you can see good savings and that discount is locked in for life.  Anyone ever do one of those things before?  I'm not crazy about them monitoring driving habits (all 4 drivers in the house have to participate) but based on the average discount (we could save over $500 a year across the 4 vehicles).

Oh your job at the greenhouse sounds fun.  I have a black thumb, but I really want to get a job of practically anything right now.  Just something to expand my life and mind. 

Oh the sunroom sounds so nice.  Our family would 100% use a sunroom over a deck.  I hope it works out. 

1 hour ago, mommyoffive said:

Oh your job at the greenhouse sounds fun.  I have a black thumb, but I really want to get a job of practically anything right now.  Just something to expand my life and mind. 

Oh the sunroom sounds so nice.  Our family would 100% use a sunroom over a deck.  I hope it works out. 

Funny thing is, that I can't keep plants alive in the house at all.  I kill them all.  But I think part of it is I don't have good light in the house.  I'm good at gardening but since my family owns the greenhouse, I've been working since I was a kid so I have way more experience with veggies plants than house plants. 

It's absolute bliss this time of year to go in the greenhouse wearing a tshirt and playing with little green plants while the snow is piled outside.  Boosts my spirits every year.  I told my husband that if my family ever closes their greenhouse, I may have to seek out seasonal employment at one of the other area greenhouse just so I can keep my springtime plant fix. I don't need to bring them home, just planting and working with them is therapeutic.

• Like 4