Menu

March Frugalistas 2021

mommyoffive

1 minute ago, mommyoffive said:

Today only, Walgreens is offering 25 4 x 6 photo prints for only $0.25 when you enter the promo code 4X6PENNIES at checkout!

Choose free in-store pickup to avoid shipping costs.

Valid today only, March 29, 2021.

Today only, Old Navy has Girl’s Active Compression Leggings for just $10 and Women’s Active Compression Leggings for just $12!

There are several colors to choose from.

Choose free in-store pickup to avoid shipping costs.

Valid today only, March 29, 2021.

From Moneysavingmom.com

Thank you for the heads up on Old Navy - DD has to wear medical compression socks but we're finding compression leggings are working just as well and they're much cooler. 

• Like 1

I picked up the lunches from the Y today (it's spring break, so school lunches switched to the Y). They are all cold box lunches - lots of crackers, meat sticks, fruit. yDD was impressed with the boxes, so we saved some for when we can field trip again. It was nice to get a little different items than usual. DH will be over the moon with little single containers of queso and salsa LOL. 

While putting that stuff away, I cleaned out the fridge, and I found several chocolate milks in a drawer that expire today and tomorrow. I'm making chocolate ice cream this afternoon, and the kids will be over the moon with chocolate waffles for dinner tonight. Does anyone have any other ideas to use it up?

I put in my first order for Sams Club - I'll go in and get my card as well today. I'm going to put aside a little every week from groceries and do one Sams Club order a month since it's a little farther to drive (10ish miles). I did spend some time a week or so ago going through my normal items at Walmart, Amazon, etc and seeing if Sams was cheaper, so I have a list of things to buy at different stores now. 

I paid medical bills this morning. Our FSA is sad now...

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, historically accurate said:

I picked up the lunches from the Y today (it's spring break, so school lunches switched to the Y). They are all cold box lunches - lots of crackers, meat sticks, fruit. yDD was impressed with the boxes, so we saved some for when we can field trip again. It was nice to get a little different items than usual. DH will be over the moon with little single containers of queso and salsa LOL. 

While putting that stuff away, I cleaned out the fridge, and I found several chocolate milks in a drawer that expire today and tomorrow. I'm making chocolate ice cream this afternoon, and the kids will be over the moon with chocolate waffles for dinner tonight. Does anyone have any other ideas to use it up?

I put in my first order for Sams Club - I'll go in and get my card as well today. I'm going to put aside a little every week from groceries and do one Sams Club order a month since it's a little farther to drive (10ish miles). I did spend some time a week or so ago going through my normal items at Walmart, Amazon, etc and seeing if Sams was cheaper, so I have a list of things to buy at different stores now. 

I paid medical bills this morning. Our FSA is sad now...

We have so much single serve containers of salsa and queso from the school.  They would be awesome if we were going anywhere.  The school does tacos or nachos every week so we get them a lot. 

You are so creative with all the extra stuff from the school.  My kids just eat it as is.  Nice that you had a change up.  Ours didn't do anything for spring break for meals.  I was surprised because they did 2 weeks of food for Christmas break.  

Good job finding the stuff that is cheaper at Sams.  That is smart.

Picked up free meals and free crafts.  

Dh's raise is in effect now and he just got the new amount.  Bonus hasn't hit yet.  Hoping it comes soon.

I need to go through all the bills and mail.  Oh the fun of adulthood.  

3 birthdays next month and our anniversary and Easter.  

I have a coupon for a free Ham or Turkey, so we will get a ham.  So much easier than a Turkey, plus we like it so much more.  I am going to look up some recipes for sides today.  

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

We have so much single serve containers of salsa and queso from the school.  They would be awesome if we were going anywhere.  The school does tacos or nachos every week so we get them a lot. 

You are so creative with all the extra stuff from the school.  My kids just eat it as is.  Nice that you had a change up.  Ours didn't do anything for spring break for meals.  I was surprised because they did 2 weeks of food for Christmas break.  

I agree with you on the little containers.  If I didn't repurpose them, we'd be overflowing since my kids don't eat any of the individual condiment type of things.  The cream cheese comes in 1 ounce containers we get 4 a week, so once a month a make a large cream cheese coffee cake thing (basically anything that uses 2 blocks of cream cheese).  Nacho cheese, salsa and the refried beans get tossed into a mexicanish casserole I make with rice, peppers, onions, more cheese and some kinds of meat.

All the American cheese that comes on the sandwiches gets used for training treats for our puppy and the kids used cojack or cheddar in place.  They really dislike the texture of processed cheese but the puppy loves it and frankly it's cheaper to buy blocks of cheese at Costco for the kids than it is to buy treats for the puppy.

The cups of marinara get added to spaghetti sauce, or chili, or stuffed peppers.  I've ever tossed a couple into the mexicanish casserole just to use them up.

My less than frugal move of the morning was running over an hour each way to IKEA.  I hate shopping that store with a passion but I do like their furniture.  I've been watching since last fall for when desk parts would come back.  I need to have another workstation set up by fall for the next kid taking online classes but I've learned you can't just walk into IKEA any old time and find pieces anymore.  Closest store had the newly designed tabletop in stock but not the legs.  I could order the legs for 5.99 shipping but if I put the tabletop on the order than I can't ship at all.  So I ordered the legs even though they won't be in for a few weeks at least, ran to IKEA to get the tabletop that just came back in stock before they disappeared again.  I wanted a matching set of blue ALEX drawers since they sit in the same room as another set but that color has been discontinued, black brown was my second choice but they are not expected till October due to production issues,  settled for my 3rd choice because it wasn't worth the time waiting and another run trying to acquire the brown black.  I do have a second blue set in my basement so I will put the new one down there and bring the blue one upstairs so the desks match.  Normally I would have waited to buy these things till we were in the area, but between the shortages, pent up demand and knowing the Suez Canal while maybe not affecting this directly (since I think all those IKEA items are going to Europe), isn't going to help the overall availability of products I figured it was worth the extra trip to make sure I have what I need come August versus trying to save the gas money by combining it and then missing out altogether.

I'm not sure how long the school lunch funding will last but the plan is to cut the grocery budget to $300 for however long it is going on.  That's a huge cut to the normal budget but I'm hoping to have 1/2 to 2/3 of the cost of the house addition saved by the time it's finished (date to be determined since we are still looking for builders) so for the time being I'm watching everything we spend closely. We have plenty of meat on hand so I'm really just needing to restock with Almond milk, cheeses, eggs and fresh produce which thankfully can usually be dealt with for that amount.  Really just have to watch the impulse buys.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, saraha said:

And now our second car needs $1000 in repairs. Stick a fork in me, I am done.

@historically accurate chocolate, peanut butter, banana smoothies? I love the chocolate waffles ideas, and the fact that you make ice cream

@mommyoffive yay free meat! I would have chosen the ham too

Oh no.  I am sorry.  Cars are no fun. 

How is your husband doing?

• Like 1

Thanks for asking!

He is doing ok, still no sight in the affected eye, but at least he doesn't have to do facedown anymore. He goes back next Wednesday to check progress and start talking about the other eye. He keeps trying to convince me he can drive 🙄 I wonder if he is worried about losing the ability after the other eye is worked on, I don't know. At least with the car in the shop, he can't actually go anywhere, so there is that.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, cjzimmer1 said:

I agree with you on the little containers.  If I didn't repurpose them, we'd be overflowing since my kids don't eat any of the individual condiment type of things.  The cream cheese comes in 1 ounce containers we get 4 a week, so once a month a make a large cream cheese coffee cake thing (basically anything that uses 2 blocks of cream cheese).  Nacho cheese, salsa and the refried beans get tossed into a mexicanish casserole I make with rice, peppers, onions, more cheese and some kinds of meat.

All the American cheese that comes on the sandwiches gets used for training treats for our puppy and the kids used cojack or cheddar in place.  They really dislike the texture of processed cheese but the puppy loves it and frankly it's cheaper to buy blocks of cheese at Costco for the kids than it is to buy treats for the puppy.

The cups of marinara get added to spaghetti sauce, or chili, or stuffed peppers.  I've ever tossed a couple into the mexicanish casserole just to use them up.

My less than frugal move of the morning was running over an hour each way to IKEA.  I hate shopping that store with a passion but I do like their furniture.  I've been watching since last fall for when desk parts would come back.  I need to have another workstation set up by fall for the next kid taking online classes but I've learned you can't just walk into IKEA any old time and find pieces anymore.  Closest store had the newly designed tabletop in stock but not the legs.  I could order the legs for 5.99 shipping but if I put the tabletop on the order than I can't ship at all.  So I ordered the legs even though they won't be in for a few weeks at least, ran to IKEA to get the tabletop that just came back in stock before they disappeared again.  I wanted a matching set of blue ALEX drawers since they sit in the same room as another set but that color has been discontinued, black brown was my second choice but they are not expected till October due to production issues,  settled for my 3rd choice because it wasn't worth the time waiting and another run trying to acquire the brown black.  I do have a second blue set in my basement so I will put the new one down there and bring the blue one upstairs so the desks match.  Normally I would have waited to buy these things till we were in the area, but between the shortages, pent up demand and knowing the Suez Canal while maybe not affecting this directly (since I think all those IKEA items are going to Europe), isn't going to help the overall availability of products I figured it was worth the extra trip to make sure I have what I need come August versus trying to save the gas money by combining it and then missing out altogether.

I'm not sure how long the school lunch funding will last but the plan is to cut the grocery budget to $300 for however long it is going on.  That's a huge cut to the normal budget but I'm hoping to have 1/2 to 2/3 of the cost of the house addition saved by the time it's finished (date to be determined since we are still looking for builders) so for the time being I'm watching everything we spend closely. We have plenty of meat on hand so I'm really just needing to restock with Almond milk, cheeses, eggs and fresh produce which thankfully can usually be dealt with for that amount.  Really just have to watch the impulse buys.

You are so smart using up the extra stuff too.  I suck at being creative with that stuff.  I will have to look into some ideas.

Glad you were able to get the stuff from Ikea.  We tried Ikea a few years ago and the stuff is ok.  I don't love it.  And the hassle of going to get it, I would just rather order online. 

Good luck with cutting your grocery budget.  I think Historically said the lunches are going until Sept.  Then pair that we the Farmers and it does help make a dent in the bill. 

Did you already get an estimate with for the addition?  

3 minutes ago, saraha said:

Thanks for asking!

He is doing ok, still no sight in the affected eye, but at least he doesn't have to do facedown anymore. He goes back next Wednesday to check progress and start talking about the other eye. He keeps trying to convince me he can drive 🙄 I wonder if he is worried about losing the ability after the other eye is worked on, I don't know. At least with the car in the shop, he can't actually go anywhere, so there is that.

Oh wow.  Is that what happens after the surgery?  No sight? Does it take time to come back?  Do they want him to have his other eye soon?  Is he allowed to work?

I am glad he is doing better and doesn't have to be facedown.  That had to be hard. 

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, saraha said:

Thanks for asking!

He has to have this done on both eyes?  That sounds awful, your poor DH.  

• Thanks 1

It can, his eye was in really bad shape and the surgeon was honest about saying he may not recover it. There is a tear in the other eye, and they want to get to it ASAP to minimize the amount of damage. Some people shared on the other thread that they knew people whose sight came back over time, so there is hope. I am just not feeling it today, blah.

• Sad 2

The hard part is if he hasn't recovered sight in the first eye, which isn't looking likely, how will he function while the second eye is recovering. The doctor said he can go back to work when he is ready as he just has a desk so he is thinking tomorrow, but I don't know.

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, saraha said:

It can, his eye was in really bad shape and the surgeon was honest about saying he may not recover it. There is a tear in the other eye, and they want to get to it ASAP to minimize the amount of damage. Some people shared on the other thread that they knew people whose sight came back over time, so there is hope. I am just not feeling it today, blah.

Sending lots of hugs.  I am sorry.  I will be hoping everyday that his sight comes back.   

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

You are so smart using up the extra stuff too.  I suck at being creative with that stuff.  I will have to look into some ideas.

Glad you were able to get the stuff from Ikea.  We tried Ikea a few years ago and the stuff is ok.  I don't love it.  And the hassle of going to get it, I would just rather order online. 

Good luck with cutting your grocery budget.  I think Historically said the lunches are going until Sept.  Then pair that we the Farmers and it does help make a dent in the bill. 

Did you already get an estimate with for the addition?  

Yes and no.  First we talked to 2 sunroom people and they both gave us estimates.  After discussing things, we knew we needed a more traditional addition than just a straight sunroom offers.  We've had one builder give us a detailed estimate (his is something between a sunroom and an addition), one builder gave us a rough estimate (on an addition and not a sunroom) but it will be a few weeks yet till he gets a full bid out because he's so far behind.  We have an appointment with another builder on the 14th.  I'm thinkin we will try to meet with at least one more builder since our scope has changed a little bit from the first guy.  But all have come close enough in price to each other that we have a reasonable idea of what we can achieve for the price we are willing to pay.  I'm sure there will be some variations to the final product but even a general number is good enough at this point.  Some of these builders won't even being able to start till 2022 so if we pick one of them we definitely have some time to finish saving.  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, cjzimmer1 said:

Yes and no.  First we talked to 2 sunroom people and they both gave us estimates.  After discussing things, we knew we needed a more traditional addition than just a straight sunroom offers.  We've had one builder give us a detailed estimate (his is something between a sunroom and an addition), one builder gave us a rough estimate (on an addition and not a sunroom) but it will be a few weeks yet till he gets a full bid out because he's so far behind.  We have an appointment with another builder on the 14th.  I'm thinkin we will try to meet with at least one more builder since our scope has changed a little bit from the first guy.  But all have come close enough in price to each other that we have a reasonable idea of what we can achieve for the price we are willing to pay.  I'm sure there will be some variations to the final product but even a general number is good enough at this point.  Some of these builders won't even being able to start till 2022 so if we pick one of them we definitely have some time to finish saving.  

Yep, is is always better to know the target you are trying to hit.  Wow, not being able to start until 2022!  Crazy.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, hjffkj said:

is anyone still waiting on their 2020 taxes to be processed and a refund be sent? I filed in mid feb and they have zero update on the status. wonder how much longer it'll be

We are.  But we just filed a week ago.  I haven't checked since Friday.  We normally get it really fast.  Are you set up for direct deposit?

Just now, hjffkj said:

is anyone still waiting on their 2020 taxes to be processed and a refund be sent? I filed in mid feb and they have zero update on the status. wonder how much longer it'll be

Yikes, that is a really long time!  I filed mine and each of my 2 sons on Feb 12.  Mine and eldest, the refund was deposited on Feb 23.  Younger DS didn't get paid until Mar 3.  They were all filed within minutes of each other.  Seriously, it took less than 5 minutes to submit all 3.  We couldn't figure what the holdup was either.  The funny part was the one that took so long at ONE thing to report (income) that's it. No other form to cross reference or anything.  Never did figure out why it took so long.  Hope yours comes quickly!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mommyoffive said:

We are.  But we just filed a week ago.  I haven't checked since Friday.  We normally get it really fast.  Are you set up for direct deposit?

yes, we're set up for direct deposit.  This is the longest it has ever taken.  Usually the money is in our account withing 2 or 3 weeks

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, cjzimmer1 said:

Yikes, that is a really long time!  I filed mine and each of my 2 sons on Feb 12.  Mine and eldest, the refund was deposited on Feb 23.  Younger DS didn't get paid until Mar 3.  They were all filed within minutes of each other.  Seriously, it took less than 5 minutes to submit all 3.  We couldn't figure what the holdup was either.  The funny part was the one that took so long at ONE thing to report (income) that's it. No other form to cross reference or anything.  Never did figure out why it took so long.  Hope yours comes quickly!

Yeah, I know.  I'm really hoping other people are having processing take longer because then I won't feel like I need to contact them since them being backed up makes sense.  But if other people aren't having that issue I probably need to reach out to the IRS which I hate doing

1 hour ago, saraha said:

And now our second car needs $1000 in repairs. Stick a fork in me, I am done.

@historically accurate chocolate, peanut butter, banana smoothies? I love the chocolate waffles ideas, and the fact that you make ice cream

@mommyoffive yay free meat! I would have chosen the ham too

Oooh, smoothies! Thanks, I'll put it on the list for tomorrow. Looks like we'll be through the chocolate milk with that plan. DH received an ice cream maker for Christmas one year from family members, and it's been a beloved kitchen appliance ever since!

@saraha I'm sorry about your DH's eyesight. I'd be pretty anxious - I'll keep him in my thoughts.

@cjzimmer1 Good luck on your sunroom savings. Sounds like you have a plan in place for it. Good job!

@mommyoffive I have a kid who refuses to eat a lot of common foods, so I've learned to re-make certain things into all sorts of things. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, historically accurate said:

Does it show as accepted by the IRS? Ours was filed mid-Feb, and we had our refund in about 2-3 weeks. 

yes it was accepted.  but then when you check Where's My Refund on the IRS site there is no longer an estimated refund date, it just says still processing.

• Sad 2

Well the land probably isn't going to work out.  I am so sad.  It is in such a pretty area and gets us closer to dh's work and ballet.  But still keeps us close to our current city for the University.  But it has some huge gas line underneath.  

On to the next thing.  😞

I have $417 worth of credit I am going to use this month.  Probably just on presents and food.  

And this isn't frugal related so much.  But my kids went to a free dance class (online) from Dance Magazine.  It was the cover dancer Jerron Herman who is an African American disabled dancer.  Someone broke into the meeting and kept saying racist and homophobic remarks to him.  I just have no words.   I wish there wasn't so much hate in the world.  I wish this last year would have brought the world closer together.  Anyway I just want to reach out and hug Jerron.  He is an amazing dancer an artist and such an incredible story.  

• Sad 4

3 hours ago, cjzimmer1 said:

How creative on using up the little cups. Good luck on your new grocery budget, and 2022?!? I am not good with patience, it would’ve hard to wait that long after committing!

• Like 2

15 hours ago, hjffkj said:

yes it was accepted.  but then when you check Where's My Refund on the IRS site there is no longer an estimated refund date, it just says still processing.

FYI we're still processing and filed on Feb 12, as soon as it was accepted. I've read numerous articles about how behind the IRS is this year. I think some of us just got unlucky. I just read a story about one lady still waiting on her tax refund from last year.

• Sad 3

1 minute ago, Soror said:

FYI we're still processing and filed on Feb 12, as soon as it was accepted. I've read numerous articles about how behind the IRS is this year. I think some of us just got unlucky. I just read a story about one lady still waiting on her tax refund from last year.

ugh, what a nightmare

• Sad 1

12 minutes ago, historically accurate said:

I just saw a post on a Dave Ramsey FB site that was complaining about tax refunds not coming through. So it's not just you. Some have been waiting about 6 weeks. 

I hope they get caught up and we get ours soon. We don't need the money but I don't being in limbo not knowing when it'll come

• Like 2

I've just got to take a minute and praise Oxy Clean.  Not sure who had to sell their soul to the devil for this stuff to be created but it saved my bacon last night.  I sold an NHL Jersey and while taking it out to pack up I noticed it had two hard to see stains right in the front.  They were hard to see because the fabric is black. So, I soak the stains in Oxy for about an hour and they're completely gone!  Saved me possibly having an upset customer.  It also got the stains out of the other NHL jersey I have avoided listing because of the stains

• Like 3

Aaannnddd now we are heading back to the eye center in the city because dh woke up this morning with dialated  pupils. It's an hour and a half one way. I miss another day of work. I really hope I get to keep this job after this. They have been pretty nice about it so far, so I hope they keep being nice about it.

• Sad 4

1 hour ago, saraha said:

Aaannnddd now we are heading back to the eye center in the city because dh woke up this morning with dialated  pupils. It's an hour and a half one way. I miss another day of work. I really hope I get to keep this job after this. They have been pretty nice about it so far, so I hope they keep being nice about it.

Oh no.  I am so sorry.  Is he still taking the meds to control that when he went the other time?  I am hoping everything turns out ok.  Sending lots of good thoughts his way.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, hjffkj said:

I hope they get caught up and we get ours soon. We don't need the money but I don't being in limbo not knowing when it'll come

We don't need the money either, but none the less it will annoy me.  I just hope it isn't something that you have to make tons of calls to get worked out.  And I worry more about scammers in the mean time.  

4 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

Oh no.  I am so sorry.  Is he still taking the meds to control that when he went the other time?  I am hoping everything turns out ok.  Sending lots of good thoughts his way.

Thanks. He is, that’s why they wanted him to come in. I can’t go in and haven’t heard anything yet

• Sad 1

18 hours ago, historically accurate said:

I got a callback for an interview for the library bookkeeping position I recently applied for. I'm pretty excited and also a little nervous. It'll be either Monday or Wednesday of next week. 

Hurray! You will do great!

• Like 2