Menu

Gift for wedding (don’t really know them)

Calizzy

Our piano teacher’s daughter is getting married. I don’t know her, but I think my piano teacher is a wonderfully sweet lady and would like to acknowledge this wedding somehow. We’re not invited to the wedding, is it weird to give a card with a bit of money? Is it normal to give a gift to a wedding you weren’t invited to? I don’t want to look passive aggressive. 

I don’t see how a gift would be passive aggressive unless there’s some extreme dynamic not explained here. We got a lot of cards & small cash wedding gifts from people in DH’s (small) hometown that weren’t invited. They were all appreciated. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Calizzy said:

Our piano teacher’s daughter is getting married. I don’t know her, but I think my piano teacher is a wonderfully sweet lady and would like to acknowledge this wedding somehow. We’re not invited to the wedding, is it weird to give a card with a bit of money? Is it normal to give a gift to a wedding you weren’t invited to? I don’t want to look passive aggressive. 

I think a card with a bit of money would be a sweet gift!

20 minutes ago, Katy said:

I don’t see how a gift would be passive aggressive unless there’s some extreme dynamic not explained here. We got a lot of cards & small cash wedding gifts from people in DH’s (small) hometown that weren’t invited. They were all appreciated. 

Ok, that’s good to know. No weird dynamics.

Since you don't know her daughter I think I would get something for the mother of the bride.  A really pretty frame for her to put a picture of her and her daughter on her wedding day would be lovely.   You might even research "mother of bride gifts" and see if something unique and special comes up that fits her personality.

38 minutes ago, Ditto said:

Since you don't know her daughter I think I would get something for the mother of the bride.  A really pretty frame for her to put a picture of her and her daughter on her wedding day would be lovely.   You might even research "mother of bride gifts" and see if something unique and special comes up that fits her personality.

Ok, fun. I’ll look in to this.

• Like 1

Not quite the same situation, but I’ve passed along baby gifts for each of my hairdresser’s new grand babies. I have been seeing her for 16+ years and consider her a friend. 

I think in the situation you describe, I might pass it along after the wedding is over, since you’re worried about looking like fishing for an invite.  

• Like 1