Menu

February Frugalistas 2021

mommyoffive

Spent the rest of my personal money on fitness and skin care.

Still have kid's vday money as we haven't been able to get out.

Grocery spending is on budget.

Dealing with a total mess w/ medical care. The dr I was using for ds was arrested and now the whole clinic has shut down. I don't know where the ped is going that ds last seen and am having a hard time getting that info. They screwed up a prescription so now looks like I'll have to find another dr and pay that initial visit charge again. It is a complete cluster. I just had to find a new dr 1.5 yrs ago when the clinic changed and it was a total PITA to find someone accepting patients, now I get to do it again. I need to do it quickly so I don't have to worry about gaps in medication but half the places aren't even open now due to weather.

• Sad 4

38 minutes ago, Soror said:

Spent the rest of my personal money on fitness and skin care.

Still have kid's vday money as we haven't been able to get out.

Grocery spending is on budget.

Dealing with a total mess w/ medical care. The dr I was using for ds was arrested and now the whole clinic has shut down. I don't know where the ped is going that ds last seen and am having a hard time getting that info. They screwed up a prescription so now looks like I'll have to find another dr and pay that initial visit charge again. It is a complete cluster. I just had to find a new dr 1.5 yrs ago when the clinic changed and it was a total PITA to find someone accepting patients, now I get to do it again. I need to do it quickly so I don't have to worry about gaps in medication but half the places aren't even open now due to weather.

Oh wow about the doctor.  I am sorry.

The reseller's dilemma, I bought a pair of Merrell slip on shoes for resell.  After cleaning them and starting to list them I realized they were my size so I tried them on.  They  are so comfortable and are the perfect house slippers I've been wanting for ages.  Now I want to keep them.

This already happened with dh asking if he could have a pair of sneakers I was selling for $85.  I said of course because he legitimately needed sneakers so I saved money on that.  But I don't need these slippers.  Just want. I could sell for $45 shipped and they'd sell fast. So, what I'll do is something to motivate me. If I net $1000 this month I'll keep them for myself.  If I don't, I'll list them.  To accomplish this I've gotta hustle and get my stack of stuff listed.

• Like 3

Picked up the rest of the week free meals for kids.  

I got an email yesterday that the place that was handing out farmer to family boxes was just getting a shipment today.  Went over there and they filled up my van.  So I am going to hand some off to neighbors.  

Totally didn't need to go grocery shopping this week. 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, saraha said:

Our farmer to family program started back up 2 weeks ago and we were supposed to help with yesterday’s distribution, but it was canceled due to weather. Glad you were able to get some and help your neighbors. Css as n I ask what was in it?

This is only the 2nd time we have done it.  When I first heard about it, there wasn't a way to find out where they had sites.  Maybe that has changed. This box has different things than last time. 

Today's box

1 gallon milk

2 large containers of yogurt

1 huge block of cheese

1 3-5lb bag of chicken meatballs

1 big bag of baby carrots

package of hotdogs

I bag of onions

1 3lb bag of apples

1 big bag of red potatoes

I just got back from dropping off all the extra boxes to neighbors.   Some sites limit the number of boxes you can get.  Before you could sign up for as many as you wanted.  This time they wanted you to fill up your car and hand them out yourself.  I think because it was a last minute truck stop (maybe because of weather).   There wasn't a sign up this time and the guys were just saying "Can you please take more and bless some of your friends, family, or neighbors? "

So if you were trying to make it last for a family and they let you, do more than one box.

Edited by mommyoffive
  • Like 1

The one we got two weeks ago had

3 lbs cooked chicken quarters

2 large onions

1 big container yogurt

1 container cottage cheese

3 grapefruit

1 5 lb bag potatoes

1 package of hot dogs

1 lb cheddar cheese

1 lb bag of radishes (which I roasted with other vegetables and they were good!)

1 gallon milk

• Like 1

1 minute ago, saraha said:

The one we got two weeks ago had

3 lbs cooked chicken quarters

2 large onions

1 big container yogurt

1 container cottage cheese

3 grapefruit

1 5 lb bag potatoes

1 package of hot dogs

1 lb cheddar cheese

1 lb bag of radishes (which I roasted with other vegetables and they were good!)

1 gallon milk

Do you have a way of finding locations by you that do this program?  Is there a website you can search? 

4 minutes ago, saraha said:

I don't know, but this drop covers two whole counties, so I doubt there is one close.  We'll just wait until the next time and sign up to volunteer. It's a nice box though! What are you going to make?

Not sure.  I am not the cook in the family.  Dh is.  My limit is crockpot!

• Like 2

Frugal win for the weekend! Went snow tubing with discounted tickets through boy scouts. Packed a picnic lunch and drove past a potential college for dd3 to check out the campus sort of on the way home. Everyone crashed after we got home so we popped popcorn and watched a hallmark mystery movie from the library. So much needed fun!

Thanks for this thread every month by the way!

Edited by saraha
  • Like 5

I spent a wild weekend with taxes.

UAH has not yet corrected the 1098T, but I went ahead and calculated it as if it were correct. I called them this morning and they claim they are hoping to get to it this week. I will hold the taxes for a week and then I will bother the bursar's office a lot until they get on it. The tax refund will go toward replacing DH's car. I didn't realize that contributing to BrightStart (529 plan) in IL gets me a state tax credit. I'll probably be rolling DD's book money through there now. 

I also did my mom's taxes. She owes every year because of taking money from the 401k, so she likes to have an estimate around now. 

I picked up school lunches this morning. DD has a doctor appointment in Madison this afternoon, so I'm driving up to WI in about an hour. Dinner for the two of us will be drive through; I don't know what DH will decide for him and other kid. 

I came up with a quick budget for school stuff for next year. Here's hoping the Covid relief package goes through after that calculation LOL. 

Purchased youngest DD's birthday gift. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, historically accurate said:

UAH has not yet corrected the 1098T, but I went ahead and calculated it as if it were correct. I called them this morning and they claim they are hoping to get to it this week. I will hold the taxes for a week and then I will bother the bursar's office a lot until they get on it. The tax refund will go toward replacing DH's car. I didn't realize that contributing to BrightStart (529 plan) in IL gets me a state tax credit. I'll probably be rolling DD's book money through there now. 

I also did my mom's taxes. She owes every year because of taking money from the 401k, so she likes to have an estimate around now. 

I picked up school lunches this morning. DD has a doctor appointment in Madison this afternoon, so I'm driving up to WI in about an hour. Dinner for the two of us will be drive through; I don't know what DH will decide for him and other kid. 

I came up with a quick budget for school stuff for next year. Here's hoping the Covid relief package goes through after that calculation LOL. 

Oh that is smart.  I guess we should be doing this for DH now that he is in college. 

Sounds like you had a really productive weekend. 

I hope you have a safe trip.   

Picked up free meals for the day. 

Picked up free crafts.

Finalizing the last allotment I have to use for one kiddo. 

Ended up getting a huge doctors bill from the ER.  UGH.  This happened the last time I took a kid to the ER and had a doctor get a peanut out of her nose.  It was over $1 of a bill for a doctor that spent less than 2 mins with us.  Disgusting.  Anyway you get a bill from the hospital and then a different bill from the doctor.  For some reason our insurance hasn't responded it said to the doctor bill.  So that will be some chasing down this week.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, mommyoffive said:

Oh that is smart.  I guess we should be doing this for DH now that he is in college. 

Picked up free crafts.

Ended up getting a huge doctors bill from the ER.  UGH.  This happened the last time I took a kid to the ER and had a doctor get a peanut out of her nose.  It was over $1 of a bill for a doctor that spent less than 2 mins with us.  Disgusting.  Anyway you get a bill from the hospital and then a different bill from the doctor.  For some reason our insurance hasn't responded it said to the doctor bill.  So that will be some chasing down this week.  

Sorry for the doctor's bills. They always keep coming don't they?

• Like 2

19 hours ago, mommyoffive said:

Picked up free crafts.

Sorry about the bill, insurance and medical bills are such a huge stress.

21 hours ago, historically accurate said:

Have fun on your trip.

On 2/22/2021 at 9:51 AM, saraha said:

Frugal win for the weekend! Went snow tubing with discounted tickets through boy scouts. Packed a picnic lunch and drove past a potential college for dd3 to check out the campus sort of on the way home. Everyone crashed after we got home so we popped popcorn and watched a hallmark mystery movie from the library. So much needed fun!

Thanks for this thread every month by the way!

That sounds like an awesome day!

• Like 3

Menu made and I think the grocery list is done, I need to go through pantry and frig again to make sure I didn't miss anything. My list is currently under budget a bit so if I have forgotten something or find a deal I'm still on track.

I need to make 6 more debit transactions this month so I can get the full interest on my check account. I need TP, kitty litter, will top off my gas tank, get a few groceries at WM- still thinking of anything else I need from anywhere else. I don't want Aldi's on there b/c I get better rewards on the CC card for it. I need another prescription but the dr's office won't call back. Need to see if dh could use anything from O'Reilly's we have a $5 off coupon and some left in the maintenance budget.

I never did work evenings this month, just couldn't bring myself to do it. I should still meet my vaca savings goals with CC rewards and interest from the CC. If I hit this month and next month where I want then I should be on track to easily meet it by August with some wiggle room which would make me feel better.

• Like 3

3 transactions done, 3 more to go for my card for this month. Dh will be taking care of those today, small things we need anyway shopping around for best prices, win-win.

Grocery shopping done, $5 under budget but they were out of hamburger buns and might need milk sometime this week. 

$400 hospital bill from last year is still showing not paid, I'm going to lose my mind. I guess I'll be calling again today. I talked to them the 3rd time on 2/1 when Allen G. assured me it was taken care of. 

FINALLY got ahold of pediatrics who say that yes, the office is closed, although no one told me that the last 3 times I called. I had seen it on a FB post but they still had the other dr listed. The OBGYN in the other office MIGHT be able to fill the prescription but they will let me know. So, I get to wait on that today. I am really hoping they do so I'm not in a rush to find a dr as the last time it took me forever to find one. $36 bill coming for said pediatrics visit, need to check on dental to see what is outstanding there for Jan visits.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, saraha said:

@historically accurate did you ever try the lentils? How did you like them?

They're in my pantry. Weirdly, I haven't made anything with ground beef in the last month as I had found several open bags of chicken thighs and chicken breasts in the freezer. It'll probably be in the next 2 weeks that I'll give it a try. 

• Like 2

This morning got DD to the doctor - she does have a frostbitten ear. Some sort of Rx cream (have not picked up yet) and Advil to reduce inflammation and follow up in a week. 

We stopped by the library on our way home. New craft kit (Out of this World theme) includes cookie recipe, alien drawing instructions, and pieces to build a rocket (water bottle stomp rocket). Youngest DD is happy with the cookie recipe as she's my chef, and middle DD happy with the drawing instructions. So win-win. 

Weird smell emanating from the fridge today, so I am slowly working through chucking leftovers and giving it a good clean. Found a spill under the bottom drawer, cleaned that, hoped it was the issue, but I don't think so. So I will soldier on (probably with a clothespin on my nose LOL). 

DH got a notice from his 401k for something, so I spent some time yesterday down the "how much should you have in retirement at age 30,40,50?" wormhole. It actually appears that we are right on pace - I would really like to thank 20 yo me for adulting so well and putting 15% of my paychecks into retirement. She was a smart girl!

My brother treated us to pizza the other day. He doesn't have a car so I drive him to his few errands, and he had some cash as he's been shoveling snow for his apartment building, so he bought us a Little Caesar's. Yum!

DD's trip to the Children's hospital reduced one of her medications by 1 dosage daily, so saving money since we won't have to buy as often. She'll hopefully be stepping down over the next year or so from her 3 cardiac meds. 

Got an email with our home library's newsletter. We usually go to the neighboring town's library because they're more child & teen friendly - ours is rather stuffy with your stereotypical librarian's glaring for noise. Looking through the newsletter, I saw that they have a seed library this year. I want to start an herb garden on my kitchen windowsill since oldest DD left some empty pots when she left for college. So, maybe I can get some free herbs?

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, historically accurate said:

This morning got DD to the doctor - she does have a frostbitten ear. Some sort of Rx cream (have not picked up yet) and Advil to reduce inflammation and follow up in a week. 

We stopped by the library on our way home. New craft kit (Out of this World theme) includes cookie recipe, alien drawing instructions, and pieces to build a rocket (water bottle stomp rocket). Youngest DD is happy with the cookie recipe as she's my chef, and middle DD happy with the drawing instructions. So win-win. 

Weird smell emanating from the fridge today, so I am slowly working through chucking leftovers and giving it a good clean. Found a spill under the bottom drawer, cleaned that, hoped it was the issue, but I don't think so. So I will soldier on (probably with a clothespin on my nose LOL). 

DH got a notice from his 401k for something, so I spent some time yesterday down the "how much should you have in retirement at age 30,40,50?" wormhole. It actually appears that we are right on pace - I would really like to thank 20 yo me for adulting so well and putting 15% of my paychecks into retirement. She was a smart girl!

My brother treated us to pizza the other day. He doesn't have a car so I drive him to his few errands, and he had some cash as he's been shoveling snow for his apartment building, so he bought us a Little Caesar's. Yum!

DD's trip to the Children's hospital reduced one of her medications by 1 dosage daily, so saving money since we won't have to buy as often. She'll hopefully be stepping down over the next year or so from her 3 cardiac meds. 

Got an email with our home library's newsletter. We usually go to the neighboring town's library because they're more child & teen friendly - ours is rather stuffy with your stereotypical librarian's glaring for noise. Looking through the newsletter, I saw that they have a seed library this year. I want to start an herb garden on my kitchen windowsill since oldest DD left some empty pots when she left for college. So, maybe I can get some free herbs?

Sorry to hear about the frostbite.  I hope she recovers well. 

Still so jealous of your library craft kits.  They are so good.  Is everyone's library doing these free craft kits? 

That is so great that you are on track for retirement.  I started saving in high school, but I didn't have much of a career before kids and haven't worked since.  I graduated in a recession and by the time I actually got started on the track of a career I got married and pregnant.  It is so good to start saving early because you never know the road your life is going to take you on.  I never thought I would be a SAHM.  

I just looked at those charts and we are very far ahead.  Like 20 years.  I don't usually use those charts, I do ones that forecast how much your savings is going to grow to or how much you can draw from it.   But anyway we still keep saving.  I always want to stop and have that $ back in out budget.  We at some point should go to a FA.  I used to be really into that and wanted to become one, but I am not anymore.  Anyway we keep saving just incase something happens.  I wouldn't have guessed that we would have been in this spot when we were in our 20s.  

• Like 2

My brother has been unemployed for some time, so he's gotten into doing more sweepstakes (he's always done them for fun). He just won a $250 Lowe's card that he is giving me to replace the blinds in my living room. Our blinds are 15 years old, and they were the cheapo ones to start with so they're broken and crooked and some are missing. 

Middle DD has been cleared by her doctors to drive now. So, I'll have to find the money for driver's ed here soon. She's so happy!

I opened up an Amazon credit card yesterday - 5% cash back at Amazon. We've found that vitamins are usually cheapest there, so another 5% off will be nice. I'll probably use the cash back for the gift fund (Christmas). Also received a $70 Amazon gift card for opening it, which has already been added to the gift fund.

Picking up school lunches today as my refrigerator is sparkly, but somewhat bare since I cleaned it yesterday. Also have a few calls to make. 

• Like 5

Picked up meals for the week.  Only 4 days worth because they don't have school one day.  

Got a freebie bag from Walmart grocery pick up yesterday.  Picked up weekly groceries.

Got my Rakuten cash back check from the holidays.  

Moved all the bedrooms around last night.  I need to finish that as one room is nuts with things that need to be moved and cleaned.  

Did 2 returns.  

Dropped off a bunch of stuff at donations.  Already have a bunch more ready to go. 

Edited by mommyoffive
  • Like 3

I bought the Lego flower bouquet today!! Wasn't planning on it but when I went into the lego store so my niece could spend some money I just randomly asked when they'd get them in and the clerk pulled one out from behind the counter and declared, "we got a single one in today." So, I bought it.

• Like 4

I finished up the budget for March and tidied up making sure all of our receipts had made it in to our budgeting software. In-person (hybrid) school is projected to start up next month, and our last free school meals will be then also. (Meals for non-school days for the hybrid students will be coordinated through school buildings, and therefore everyone else is cut off from access.) I need to allocate back a bunch of lunch money into our budget.

Trying to sell our homeschool stuff locally was a bust, as expected. 

I'm going to go through closets and come up with a summer shopping list---hopefully it's minimal.

I need to find out when the next college tuition bill is due.  Ds got accepted to all of the universities he's considering transferring to, so we've got a deposit due somewhere as well.

• Like 4

52 minutes ago, prairiewindmomma said:

I finished up the budget for March and tidied up making sure all of our receipts had made it in to our budgeting software. In-person (hybrid) school is projected to start up next month, and our last free school meals will be then also. (Meals for non-school days for the hybrid students will be coordinated through school buildings, and therefore everyone else is cut off from access.) I need to allocate back a bunch of lunch money into our budget.

I'm going to go through closets and come up with a summer shopping list---hopefully it's minimal.

I need to find out when the next college tuition bill is due.  Ds got accepted to all of the universities he's considering transferring to, so we've got a deposit due somewhere as well.

Congratulations! How awesome.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I spent my evening in the kitchen. I cooked dinner. Youngest DD & I made a coffee cake for tomorrow morning since DH took the day off work. I also made up a lasagna for the freezer since I found some cottage cheese slightly past the expiration date when I cleaned the fridge yesterday.

After that, I entered my grocery list into walmart. I think we'll pick it up on Saturday since tomorrow may be some wintry mix.

• Like 4

21 hours ago, wintermom said:

@Laura Corin Great job on your mile pace! Enjoy your sunshine.

@Soror Awesome you and the dc got your vaccines. It probably won't be until Aug before I'll have an opportunity to get mine. We're slow and we don't have enough vaccines in Canada. 

It's sunny and looks gorgeous outside. I'm going to try to build in more daylight outdoor time into my days. Theoretically it should be possible, I just have to make it happen. I'll be walking with friends this afternoon, which will be really nice. 

21 hours ago, historically accurate said:

My brother has been unemployed for some time, so he's gotten into doing more sweepstakes (he's always done them for fun). He just won a $250 Lowe's card that he is giving me to replace the blinds in my living room. Our blinds are 15 years old, and they were the cheapo ones to start with so they're broken and crooked and some are missing. 

Middle DD has been cleared by her doctors to drive now. So, I'll have to find the money for driver's ed here soon. She's so happy!

I opened up an Amazon credit card yesterday - 5% cash back at Amazon. We've found that vitamins are usually cheapest there, so another 5% off will be nice. I'll probably use the cash back for the gift fund (Christmas). Also received a $70 Amazon gift card for opening it, which has already been added to the gift fund.

Picking up school lunches today as my refrigerator is sparkly, but somewhat bare since I cleaned it yesterday. Also have a few calls to make. 

That is awesome for your daughter! And ya for your brother and the giftcard!

12 hours ago, prairiewindmomma said:

Congrats t o your ds!

Dh gets paid today and more is going into the shed fund.

Might take the girls to the library and drop off recyclables today. Will pick up hamburger buns if I do. 

They have sometimes had free crafts at our library but mostly basic stuff we have at home anyway. The girls would enjoy a stack of 'new' books.

Ds has applied to a new job, $1.70 an hour more, they close earlier too. He's hoping to save more money for a car. 

I guess we'll see if they vote on the stimulus package today.

Still waiting on tax refund.

Budget and accounts reconciled, I usually do this a few times a week.

Edited by Soror
  • Like 3

I haven’t been updating because I’ve been frustrated. Maybe I should have been because I’ve been frustrated!

Yesterday was the end of my 4-week “month”, and I made out okay, all things considered. Staying under budget managed to cover about a third of our big unplanned expenses, and we had the cash to cover the rest, but it does mean less toward the house fund than planned, while the market gets worse every day. The builder we’ve been leaning toward just raised base prices by about 10% when it was already a questionable stretch.

We saved a couple hundred bucks by not getting our driveway plowed a million times, which means my car is parked near the street and we shoveled a path to the house. Except now it’s an ice luge to the house, and I don’t like to put down salt because of the dog. Probably should have just spent the money, We’re expected to get freezing rain this weekend to top it off.

Dh is away for work for who knows how long. The kids and I tend to do cheaper, junkier dinners when he’s gone, and leftovers are more plentiful, so groceries will stay pretty low until we hit our limit and crave nicer food, lol.

My sons are wanting to try skiing/boarding before the season ends, which isn’t cheap. But they’ve been so fully quarantined for a year that I don’t see how I can say no. Maybe the weather will do it for me!

Another dental bill coming up next week. And I have to face the fact that my phone should be replaced soon.  It’s over 4 years old and just doesn’t want to play nice anymore. I think I’ve sucked about as much life out of it as I can. 

Dh may be looking to negotiate a raise after this trip. Not sure it’ll actually go through, but it’s worth a shot. They generally get one big disaster trip every year or two, and this is his second in less than six months. And it coincides with what’s supposed to be his annual review. His CFO is on his side, but the majority owners are tougher nuts to crack.

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, Carrie12345 said:

I haven’t been updating because I’ve been frustrated. Maybe I should have been because I’ve been frustrated!

Yesterday was the end of my 4-week “month”, and I made out okay, all things considered. Staying under budget managed to cover about a third of our big unplanned expenses, and we had the cash to cover the rest, but it does mean less toward the house fund than planned, while the market gets worse every day. The builder we’ve been leaning toward just raised base prices by about 10% when it was already a questionable stretch.

We saved a couple hundred bucks by not getting our driveway plowed a million times, which means my car is parked near the street and we shoveled a path to the house. Except now it’s an ice luge to the house, and I don’t like to put down salt because of the dog. Probably should have just spent the money, We’re expected to get freezing rain this weekend to top it off.

Dh is away for work for who knows how long. The kids and I tend to do cheaper, junkier dinners when he’s gone, and leftovers are more plentiful, so groceries will stay pretty low until we hit our limit and crave nicer food, lol.

My sons are wanting to try skiing/boarding before the season ends, which isn’t cheap. But they’ve been so fully quarantined for a year that I don’t see how I can say no. Maybe the weather will do it for me!

Another dental bill coming up next week. And I have to face the fact that my phone should be replaced soon.  It’s over 4 years old and just doesn’t want to play nice anymore. I think I’ve sucked about as much life out of it as I can. 

Dh may be looking to negotiate a raise after this trip. Not sure it’ll actually go through, but it’s worth a shot. They generally get one big disaster trip every year or two, and this is his second in less than six months. And it coincides with what’s supposed to be his annual review. His CFO is on his side, but the majority owners are tougher nuts to crack.

Some months are harder to get through than others. I'm sorry so much has been thrown at you. Crossing my fingers for your DH's raise!

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, Carrie12345 said:

Did you already put money down to build?  Are you for sure doing it?  Prices are rising like nuts here too and builders keep raising too.   I get it.  Would you make up the difference by your current house selling for more? 

Hoping your dh gets a raise.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

Did you already put money down to build?  Are you for sure doing it?  Prices are rising like nuts here too and builders keep raising too.   I get it.  Would you make up the difference by your current house selling for more? 

Hoping your dh gets a raise.  

No, I kept chickening out on committing to build.  I’ve stayed up to my eyeballs in research, pricing, and planning, but never quite got comfortable enough to pull actual triggers.

Just before the last recession, our area had a million independent building companies, keeping them all at pretty competitive rates within their different levels, from sweet and simple to crazy luxury. Today, less than half are still active, and most of those are now semi-custom instead of full custom, with plans that focus on all the extra angles, bump outs, and multiple roof angles when all I actually want is a relatively large and cost effective rectangle. 😛 

We do have a lead on an unlisted lot in a great location, but now I’m scared to commit to that.

I’m trying not to dwell, but I can’t stop wishing we had made a larger offer on the first house we saw in December. They had taken a cash offer for $2k less than ours. If we had gone another $10k up, that’d still be tens of thousands below the very few comparable properties (and even better than some) that have been trickling out for the past 8 weeks. And way less than building. Of course we didn’t know that at the time.

We can clear a decent bit from selling our house today if we find an existing house, but building times are running 9+ months, and I’m afraid to count on sustained value for that long.  So, for the moment, I’m just keeping my eyes peeled and trying to remind myself that we’re not actually desperate.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Carrie12345 said:

No, I kept chickening out on committing to build.  I’ve stayed up to my eyeballs in research, pricing, and planning, but never quite got comfortable enough to pull actual triggers.

Just before the last recession, our area had a million independent building companies, keeping them all at pretty competitive rates within their different levels, from sweet and simple to crazy luxury. Today, less than half are still active, and most of those are now semi-custom instead of full custom, with plans that focus on all the extra angles, bump outs, and multiple roof angles when all I actually want is a relatively large and cost effective rectangle. 😛 

We do have a lead on an unlisted lot in a great location, but now I’m scared to commit to that.

I’m trying not to dwell, but I can’t stop wishing we had made a larger offer on the first house we saw in December. They had taken a cash offer for $2k less than ours. If we had gone another $10k up, that’d still be tens of thousands below the very few comparable properties (and even better than some) that have been trickling out for the past 8 weeks. And way less than building. Of course we didn’t know that at the time.

We can clear a decent bit from selling our house today if we find an existing house, but building times are running 9+ months, and I’m afraid to count on sustained value for that long.  So, for the moment, I’m just keeping my eyes peeled and trying to remind myself that we’re not actually desperate.

Laughed that you just want a large rectangle.  That is what we got with our builder.  I feel everything you are saying.  It is a lot of what we are feeling too.  I am sorry you are feeling nervous and regretful.  It is so hard during this market.  We keep throwing around the idea of moving.   Our house is fine.  Fine.  It doesn't fit us that well  now, but we can live here.  We would love to live on more land.  And we could sell our house for so much and probably within 2 days.  It has never been a better time to sell.  But there is nothing on the market.  There was one house that was on the market for almost a year, enough space, and an ok lot.  And it just got an offer on it.  I am all bent up about it because that was my backup house if we were going to move.  We have looked at land too and honestly should have bought some that we first looked at last summer.  But we didn't find the perfect lot.  But after spending months doing it realized there isn't a PERFECT lot in our price range.  We still haven't decided what we are going to do.   

• Like 1

DH and I went to Lowe's and got the blinds with the gift card, still have a little $ left. We've already put two up; they look nice. No cords, very fancy LOL! Still have 3 left to do. I want to go back and get 3 more. We got the 2" faux wood white ones. The ones that we had were 1" metal ones. So, we were going to leave the 3 up that were ok, but now I want to replace those with matching ones. The 8 would do our living room, foyer, dining area, and kitchen which are all pretty open to each other. I think I'll end up paying for one window, and the gift card will pay for all the rest. 

Making a ham in the crockpot today. I bought it before Christmas, and I decided that I needed the space in the freezer, so we're having that tonight, some cornbread muffins, and peas and carrots (which are both from school lunches). We'll have a ton of leftover ham, so I'll be working it into the menu plan for a while. 

Put it an order to Walmart grocery pickup.

I got youngest an appointment for wisdom teeth removal. They'll give me a $ estimate on Monday.  

• Like 4

13 hours ago, historically accurate said:

DH and I went to Lowe's and got the blinds with the gift card, still have a little $ left. We've already put two up; they look nice. No cords, very fancy LOL! Still have 3 left to do. I want to go back and get 3 more. We got the 2" faux wood white ones. The ones that we had were 1" metal ones. So, we were going to leave the 3 up that were ok, but now I want to replace those with matching ones. The 8 would do our living room, foyer, dining area, and kitchen which are all pretty open to each other. I think I'll end up paying for one window, and the gift card will pay for all the rest. 

Making a ham in the crockpot today. I bought it before Christmas, and I decided that I needed the space in the freezer, so we're having that tonight, some cornbread muffins, and peas and carrots (which are both from school lunches). We'll have a ton of leftover ham, so I'll be working it into the menu plan for a while. 

I got youngest an appointment for wisdom teeth removal. They'll give me a $ estimate on Monday.  

I bet the blinds do look really nice. I hope you quote isn't too bad (or at least no worse than expected).

We finally got the prescription. I think I mentioned I called again on Wed morning, they said I'd get a call that day or Thurs morning. Nothing. I called the pharmacy to see if they had called it in and not returned my call, no. So, dh stopped by there and they tell him, oh it has been called in. Since I knew I had called the pharmacy not that long before I called to check right then, nope, it wasn't there. So, then I went in (you cannot call the office directly and evidently it is really easy to dodge the messages as they keep doing that). The lady at the front desk again tells me it has been called in. I tell her I called the pharmacy and it isn't there. Lo and behold she looks at the notes and it hasn't been. Goes to talk to the nurses in the back and they will do it today, they promise. And they finally did! Now, that gives us a bit of time to find another dr.

But the prescription was $90 for 30 days. Ouch. I thought it would be about $50. I had to pull from my slush fund (I keep 50-100 in a line item for things that might come up that were not expected or more expensive than budgeted each month- each month I get better at estimated costs but things happen). 

Got bread and hamburger buns. Ending the month with $3.50 in grocery. A bit in gas unless dh gets called into work (let's hope not). Those will just roll over to next month.

Took the girls to the library and they checked out a lot of books and we were the only ones in there. The 'craft' there was a printable coloring sheet.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Soror said:

I bet the blinds do look really nice. I hope you quote isn't too bad (or at least no worse than expected).

We finally got the prescription. I think I mentioned I called again on Wed morning, they said I'd get a call that day or Thurs morning. Nothing. I called the pharmacy to see if they had called it in and not returned my call, no. So, dh stopped by there and they tell him, oh it has been called in. Since I knew I had called the pharmacy not that long before I called to check right then, nope, it wasn't there. So, then I went in (you cannot call the office directly and evidently it is really easy to dodge the messages as they keep doing that). The lady at the front desk again tells me it has been called in. I tell her I called the pharmacy and it isn't there. Lo and behold she looks at the notes and it hasn't been. Goes to talk to the nurses in the back and they will do it today, they promise. And they finally did! Now, that gives us a bit of time to find another dr.

But the prescription was $90 for 30 days. Ouch. I thought it would be about $50. I had to pull from my slush fund (I keep 50-100 in a line item for things that might come up that were not expected or more expensive than budgeted each month- each month I get better at estimated costs but things happen). 

Got bread and hamburger buns. Ending the month with $3.50 in grocery. A bit in gas unless dh gets called into work (let's hope not). Those will just roll over to next month.

Took the girls to the library and they checked out a lot of books and we were the only ones in there. The 'craft' there was a printable coloring sheet.

Ick on the prescription cost. It's very smart to have that slush fund! I've had a lot of Rx purchases this past month. Very hard on the budget. I noticed the last one I picked up said that my insurance had saved me $784 (one month supply) so I choose to be happy that we can afford them even if they keep hitting me in the pocketbook! 

Yay for having the library to yourself; that always makes me happy. But what a lame "craft". Wish I could send y'all some of ours. Both of our local libraries are doing a pretty good job with them: our home library had a really cool one the other day. The kids decided it was too complicated to attempt here at home: a Baby Yoda lanyard. You had to knot all of the cording to make his head, his ears, and his cloak. They watched the video (the library posts it on FB) and decided not to give it a try.

I got an annual bill in the mail yesterday that I had completely forgotten about. Ooopsies. It's about $150, so I'll have to dig that up over the next few weeks. I have various amounts set aside for other purposes, so I'll just have to short one of those if necessary. It's also been added to the budget as a monthly set aside for next year. This is the first time in a while that we're not running behind on those pesky periodic bills, probably thanks to the covid money. 

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, historically accurate said:

Ick on the prescription cost. It's very smart to have that slush fund! I've had a lot of Rx purchases this past month. Very hard on the budget. I noticed the last one I picked up said that my insurance had saved me $784 (one month supply) so I choose to be happy that we can afford them even if they keep hitting me in the pocketbook! 

Yay for having the library to yourself; that always makes me happy. But what a lame "craft". Wish I could send y'all some of ours. Both of our local libraries are doing a pretty good job with them: our home library had a really cool one the other day. The kids decided it was too complicated to attempt here at home: a Baby Yoda lanyard. You had to knot all of the cording to make his head, his ears, and his cloak. They watched the video (the library posts it on FB) and decided not to give it a try.

I got an annual bill in the mail yesterday that I had completely forgotten about. Ooopsies. It's about $150, so I'll have to dig that up over the next few weeks. I have various amounts set aside for other purposes, so I'll just have to short one of those if necessary. It's also been added to the budget as a monthly set aside for next year. This is the first time in a while that we're not running behind on those pesky periodic bills, probably thanks to the covid money. 

I call my fund- things I forgot about lol. I put some in each month but as it gets used I put it in the appropriate section of the budget. I'm trying to make sure I fund all those annual bills too. It is so much easier to fund a little each month. Very good you put that in the budget that is what I've been doing since I started ynab in October everytime I think of one I add it to the yearly expense section. There were a lot added the first few months, it has thankfully slowed down but there are probably some I've still forgot about I'm sure. It is easy to forget things that are once a year. 

It is even harder with things that are so variable like medication, starting new ones and no idea of the cost. I'm going to have to shop around to see if anywhere else is cheaper for this new one and up my medication category. I'll have to refill my thyroid meds in March but will probably just do 1 month. 3 months was cheaper when I'd met my deductible and could get stocked ahead but regular price they are more expensive. 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, historically accurate said:

Oh ham in the crockpot, we did that for Thanksgiving and Christmas since we didn't get to see anyone.  Soooooo good.  I have a free coupon for one I should use. 

Love cordless blinds.  We replaced some of our corded blinds a few months ago.  I wish we would have never put up curtains and just done blinds.  I hate curtains.  I love doing little changes in the house like that.  It just freshens it up so much. 

Got a random giftcard.

Depositing checks at the bank today.

Dropping off taxes today.

Dropping off donations today. 

Need to order the free meals for next week. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Soror said:

Ugh what a hassle with the prescription.  Is this something that you have to fill every month?  That is expensive.  Do you have choices on your insurance that would cover prescriptions better?  Or what about Good RX?  Have you checked to see how much it is at other stores?   One time I had to fill a prescription and it was $800 at Walgreens but at Walmart across the street it was 10 or 20 bucks.  Unreal.  

• Like 1