Menu

February Frugalistas 2021

mommyoffive

3 hours ago, historically accurate said:

Ick on the prescription cost. It's very smart to have that slush fund! I've had a lot of Rx purchases this past month. Very hard on the budget. I noticed the last one I picked up said that my insurance had saved me $784 (one month supply) so I choose to be happy that we can afford them even if they keep hitting me in the pocketbook! 

Yay for having the library to yourself; that always makes me happy. But what a lame "craft". Wish I could send y'all some of ours. Both of our local libraries are doing a pretty good job with them: our home library had a really cool one the other day. The kids decided it was too complicated to attempt here at home: a Baby Yoda lanyard. You had to knot all of the cording to make his head, his ears, and his cloak. They watched the video (the library posts it on FB) and decided not to give it a try.

I got an annual bill in the mail yesterday that I had completely forgotten about. Ooopsies. It's about $150, so I'll have to dig that up over the next few weeks. I have various amounts set aside for other purposes, so I'll just have to short one of those if necessary. It's also been added to the budget as a monthly set aside for next year. This is the first time in a while that we're not running behind on those pesky periodic bills, probably thanks to the covid money. 

It is so crazy how much medicines cost. 

Our library does the same thing with posting the video on how to make it on Youtube.  Very helpful because I don't know how to do all the adult ones.  Oh to bad they are not going to make the Baby Yoda lanyard.  I bet it would be cute. 

Good job using the covid money for good. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Soror said:

I call my fund- things I forgot about lol. I put some in each month but as it gets used I put it in the appropriate section of the budget. I'm trying to make sure I fund all those annual bills too. It is so much easier to fund a little each month. Very good you put that in the budget that is what I've been doing since I started ynab in October everytime I think of one I add it to the yearly expense section. There were a lot added the first few months, it has thankfully slowed down but there are probably some I've still forgot about I'm sure. It is easy to forget things that are once a year. 

It is even harder with things that are so variable like medication, starting new ones and no idea of the cost. I'm going to have to shop around to see if anywhere else is cheaper for this new one and up my medication category. I'll have to refill my thyroid meds in March but will probably just do 1 month. 3 months was cheaper when I'd met my deductible and could get stocked ahead but regular price they are more expensive. 

Do you fill sinking funds every month? That is what it sounds like.   It is something people on another board like to do. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

Ugh what a hassle with the prescription.  Is this something that you have to fill every month?  That is expensive.  Do you have choices on your insurance that would cover prescriptions better?  Or what about Good RX?  Have you checked to see how much it is at other stores?   One time I had to fill a prescription and it was $800 at Walgreens but at Walmart across the street it was 10 or 20 bucks.  Unreal.  

It won't be filled quite every month. Our prescriptions aren't covered by at all no matter where we go  until we meet deductible. I didn't check around this time as it was such a hassle to get it in the first placeace but will next time and also check generic. I had to get it filled so didn't have time to try and contact them yet again to change it. My pharmacy is usually pretty decent on prices but maybe another has this one cheaper. Not everyone takes good rx, my pharmacy doesn't. 

11 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

Do you fill sinking funds every month? That is what it sounds like.   It is something people on another board like to do. 

Yes, about half our income goes towards sinking funds. Split pretty evenly between irregular/yearly expenses- house and car insurance, college bills, taxes, yearly bills etc and saving funds for house, car, medical, gifts, and electronics. 

• Like 2

Did you know that you can score free or cheap Walgreens photo items just by using a coupon code! Plus, most stores will have your items ready in less than 2 hours. How awesome is that? We also love their free in-store pickup option and great personalized gift deals.

Through February 28th, you can score TWO free 5×7 Photo Prints when you apply coupon code TWOPRINTS at checkout!

Plus, did you know you can use curbside pickup for your photo prints? You’ll receive an email when your order is ready and you can even select curbside pickup to grab your order without ever leaving your car!

From Hip2save