Menu

February Frugalistas 2021

mommyoffive

19 hours ago, hjffkj said:

I still haven't gotten dh's W2s from his main job.  They should have been mailed out already but no sign of them.  I usually file my taxes the first day the IRS accepts them.  Guess that isn't happening this year

Check with HR. Dh isn’t getting a mailed version this year. We had to download from the service they use. (Paychex, in this case.)

Dd had 2 delivered to her mailboxes at her workplaces, which I had never heard of before.

• Like 2

I have to sit down to pay bills and do budget stuff this morning and I’m not looking forward to it. The vet bills took a toll and some money was spent helping out a friend in a difficult situation. I also did some freezer restocking last week. Not a crazy amount, but still.

I’m trying to focus on being grateful for being able to absorb these things after a lifetime of... well, not being able to. But, when I sit down to move things around, I’m going to feel like I messed up “The Plan”. I know I have control issues, but they’re what finally got us to this point!

I haven’t run our expected taxes yet. I suspect that our health care expenses will be just under where we can claim them and cause us to owe a bunch. If stimulus comes through, that could make it sting less.

• Like 3

Haven't bought a new fridge yet.  Still looking.  There isn't much out there that isn't LG or Samsung and the type of fridge we want. 

Need to return the broken trash can that I ordered.  I replaced all the bathroom dollar store trash cans with flip top ones.  Kind of dumb money to spend on it I realize just because I don't like to look at the trash. 

Got a new pots and pans set.  Went through our old ones and got some ready to donate.  I am working on some more donations, but will wait to drop off until Wed because of the cold. 

I got some air filters to drown out the neighbors dogs.  They totally work, so I am happy.  The neighbors haven't had their dogs out much this week.  I kind of think something happened to them all the days they kept them out at temps of -35.  But I am sure when the cold is over they will have them out early again.  So it wasn't money wasted.   I have had 4 nights of good sleep, that hasn't happened in a year or so. 

I am so over the cold.   Evening lows are -15 with wind chills lower.  We are bleeding money paying for it.  That sucks.  

Maybe gather all our tax stuff this weekend.  But we use a CPA and we won't go out to drop them off until next week when it is warmer.  The roads have black ice on them and the roads there are not good.  

Will order free meals for the kids for next week. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, mommyoffive said:

I got some air filters to drown out the neighbors dogs.  They totally work, so I am happy.  The neighbors haven't had their dogs out much this week.  I kind of think something happened to them all the days they kept them out at temps of -35.  But I am sure when the cold is over they will have them out early again.  So it wasn't money wasted.   I have had 4 nights of good sleep, that hasn't happened in a year or so. 

If that happens again, you should really call animal control. That's abuse. 

• Like 1

Got all 3 federal taxes filed this morning (I use turbo tax).  I hate paying to file for state so I use our state's free stuff but it means I have to retype some of them numbers.  Usually takes me less than 30 minutes for one but I've got 3 sets to do this year. I'm going to try to get those done yet this afternoon.

New dog bed arrived and the material is actually thinner than the one that he dug a hold through.  Ugh, I hate returning online purchases.  Trying to think if there is a way I could attach a heavier fabric to the bed so he can't dig through to the stuffing.  If I can figure it out, I can save the last one too and I'm not opposed to having several beds for him because it is a bit of a pain to keep moving it around to wherever we want him.

DH said there are rumors of bonuses coming next week.  We have no idea what to expect because he's only been there a little over a year and of course last year was so different than normal.  But anything is helpful since we are still trying to build up the funds to pay for carpet in the last room that hasn't been redone.

We do have a scheduled date on the flooring for the next 2 projects (bedroom and landing) so I'll be spending every weekend between now and then working on clearing out and painting those areas.  But I have enough supplies on hand for all that so no extra money to spend on that part.

I completely skipped grocery shopping this week, between the leftovers from last week, the school lunches and the food DS brought home from work, tonight is the only night this week I have to cook and I'm just reworking the food from DS.  With the bitter cold, I definitely don't miss making that outing this week. 

Haven't heard anything yet about when the 1/2 beef will be ready but I've built up enough in the grocery budget now that it can come anytime and I've got enough to cover it. 

Our school district is starting phased returns to in person learning next month, I don't think it will affect the school lunches any time soon though because it sounds like it's going to take a month just to get the elementary kids back and then they'll start on middle school.  I'm thinking at that rate, they might as well not bother with the high school students because what's the point of bringing them back to in person for one month.

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, hippymamato3 said:

If that happens again, you should really call animal control. That's abuse. 

Noted.  I don't think we have animal control in our town, but I could call the police I suppose.  It has been that cold for a week plus now.  They keep them outside in all weather.  They do let them in at night.  But from 4am until 9 or 10pm they are outside.  They  have a small dog house, but I don't think either one of them could fit in it now.  They are never in it.  I think that these neighbors must think they are huskies so they can be out in any weather, now matter how cold it is.   Now it has been just as cold the all this week and they are only out there for short amounts of time.  One day it rained, turned to ice, and then dropped down to negative weather and they just left them out there.   Sometimes it is hard to know when to call and when not to.  We have indoor dogs who are kind of pampered.  Wearing their winter coats when we go on walks.  Wiping down their paws.  When it is raining and we go on a walk we towel dry them and on and on.  They are not beating the dogs so it is this gray line.   I am not sure if the police would do anything or not. 

• Sad 2

1 hour ago, prairiewindmomma said:

Our Wal-Mart had a dozen their pick roses for $2.50 in the grocery app. I bought a bouquet with our grocery order for our Valentine’s treat. The roses are lovely to look at with all of the snow and ice outside.

Score.  I am going to look and see if we have that.  The girls would love it. 

15 minutes ago, cjzimmer1 said:

Got all 3 federal taxes filed this morning (I use turbo tax).  I hate paying to file for state so I use our state's free stuff but it means I have to retype some of them numbers.  Usually takes me less than 30 minutes for one but I've got 3 sets to do this year. I'm going to try to get those done yet this afternoon.

New dog bed arrived and the material is actually thinner than the one that he dug a hold through.  Ugh, I hate returning online purchases.  Trying to think if there is a way I could attach a heavier fabric to the bed so he can't dig through to the stuffing.  If I can figure it out, I can save the last one too and I'm not opposed to having several beds for him because it is a bit of a pain to keep moving it around to wherever we want him.

DH said there are rumors of bonuses coming next week.  We have no idea what to expect because he's only been there a little over a year and of course last year was so different than normal.  But anything is helpful since we are still trying to build up the funds to pay for carpet in the last room that hasn't been redone.

We do have a scheduled date on the flooring for the next 2 projects (bedroom and landing) so I'll be spending every weekend between now and then working on clearing out and painting those areas.  But I have enough supplies on hand for all that so no extra money to spend on that part.

I completely skipped grocery shopping this week, between the leftovers from last week, the school lunches and the food DS brought home from work, tonight is the only night this week I have to cook and I'm just reworking the food from DS.  With the bitter cold, I definitely don't miss making that outing this week. 

Haven't heard anything yet about when the 1/2 beef will be ready but I've built up enough in the grocery budget now that it can come anytime and I've got enough to cover it. 

Our school district is starting phased returns to in person learning next month, I don't think it will affect the school lunches any time soon though because it sounds like it's going to take a month just to get the elementary kids back and then they'll start on middle school.  I'm thinking at that rate, they might as well not bother with the high school students because what's the point of bringing them back to in person for one month.

Awesome getting your taxes done!  You win the prize I think. 🙂

Boo on the dog bed.  Where is it from?  I love online shopping and hate it too.   Sort of handy except when you want to look through a bunch of items.  I like to touch things and figure things out.  And I hate reading reviews.  One person loves it, the next person says it it total junk.  

Fingers crossed for bonus.  I am awaiting that news here too.  Usually don't find out until spring. It won't be as good as last year because of covid.  I am trying to say that to myself all the time because I have that amount in my memory.  😞

Nice not having to shop for food this week.   I am all for staying in during this weather.  I just stood outside for 10 minutes to see my cousin.  She was on a vacation with a friend nearby and said hi.  It was ok for about 3 mins.  

Yay for all the  new flooring it will look so great when it is done.   Awesome that you don't have to buy anything for the painting. 

It is so odd to me that some schools are just now going back.  Our city and the ones right by us have been in person since the start of this school year.  But I have friends one hour away and their city is just now bringing some kids back in phases too.  The private schools in their town have been open since fall.  IT is wild that it is so different from city to city or state to state. 

But anyway our schools have been full face to face for all grades since fall, but they still have the lunches.  I think something like 20% of students didn't come back to school so I guess that is why they still let people pick up the meals?   Not sure.  But it has been going on the whole year and they have pick ups at each school.  So  hopefully it won't go away. 

6 hours ago, Carrie12345 said:

I have to sit down to pay bills and do budget stuff this morning and I’m not looking forward to it. The vet bills took a toll and some money was spent helping out a friend in a difficult situation. I also did some freezer restocking last week. Not a crazy amount, but still.

I’m trying to focus on being grateful for being able to absorb these things after a lifetime of... well, not being able to. But, when I sit down to move things around, I’m going to feel like I messed up “The Plan”. I know I have control issues, but they’re what finally got us to this point!

I haven’t run our expected taxes yet. I suspect that our health care expenses will be just under where we can claim them and cause us to owe a bunch. If stimulus comes through, that could make it sting less.

Sending some hugs.   I am glad you were able to cover things in a stressful time.  And being able to help out a friend is so wonderful of you.  I hate paying for all the adult things.  Vet bills, things breaking, doctor bills and everything else.  I try to remember that is the reason we live below our means and have an emergency fund.  And how horrible it would be every time this happens if we didn't have that.  If it would have happened when we had one kid and just moved to our house it would have been a disaster.  We didn't have extra money outside our normal expenses at all. 

23 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

Awesome getting your taxes done!  You win the prize I think. 🙂

Boo on the dog bed.  Where is it from?  I love online shopping and hate it too.   Sort of handy except when you want to look through a bunch of items.  I like to touch things and figure things out.  And I hate reading reviews.  One person loves it, the next person says it it total junk.  

It is so odd to me that some schools are just now going back.  Our city and the ones right by us have been in person since the start of this school year.  But I have friends one hour away and their city is just now bringing some kids back in phases too.  The private schools in their town have been open since fall.  IT is wild that it is so different from city to city or state to state. 

The dog bed is from Chewy.  The last time I had a issue there, they were great about fixing it.  I would expect I could return it fine but I don't WANT to because then I still have to go out and find another bed.

While I don't know exactly where you live, from what you've posted at various times, I put you within 2 hours of me so it's possible we are talking about the same district. But yes most of the neighboring communities have been back for a while but our school district is big and the teacher's union has a lot of power and many of the teacher's don't want to go back so they've been fighting it. but local cases have dropped so much since Christmas that it's really hard to justify not going back.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cjzimmer1 said:

The dog bed is from Chewy.  The last time I had a issue there, they were great about fixing it.  I would expect I could return it fine but I don't WANT to because then I still have to go out and find another bed.

While I don't know exactly where you live, from what you've posted at various times, I put you within 2 hours of me so it's possible we are talking about the same district. But yes most of the neighboring communities have been back for a while but our school district is big and the teacher's union has a lot of power and many of the teacher's don't want to go back so they've been fighting it. but local cases have dropped so much since Christmas that it's really hard to justify not going back.

Ha, that would be funny if we were talking about the same district.  Or maybe you are talking about Chicago school district.  I have been following that situation too.  I have family who work in that district.  

I get that about even if it is easy to return then it doesn't solve your original problem.   We have one from Walmart for my chewing puppy.  Even though she has attacked it a lot is still intact.  It has a sort of nylon shell.  I put blankets on top for comfort, although I doubt she cares, because sometimes she pulls the bed out of her kennel to just lie on the plastic bottom.  

Edited by mommyoffive
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

I get that about even if it is easy to return then it doesn't solve your original problem.   We have one from Walmart for my chewing puppy.  Even though she has attacked it a lot is still intact.  It has a sort of nylon shell.  I put blankets on top for comfort, although I doubt she cares, because sometimes she pulls the bed out of her kennel to just lie on the plastic bottom.  

My puppy is a chihuahua/rat terrier mix so he has like no hair and no body fat.  We have one open bed and one covered bed.  He so clearly prefers the covered bed that he can be dozing in the open bed and if someone moves the covered bed to where he can get to it (sometimes it's in rooms that are closed off to him at the moment), he will immediately get up and move to the covered bed.  They are both a soft lining and we cover him in the open bed so he doesn't get so cold but he clearly prefers being able to bury himself in.  So keeping that in mind, there aren't very many choices and they all seem to be made of this low quality fake sherpa material that he loves but doesn't hold up to his digging. Well I did see a couple that were almost $100 but I'm not paying that much for a dog bed especially when I have no guarantee the quality is any better.

We had rat terriers growing up and loved this fake fur fabric stuff we had for beds so I'm thinking of trying to find some of that and see if I can attach it somehow just to make a thicker bottom layer he can't dig through.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, cjzimmer1 said:

My puppy is a chihuahua/rat terrier mix so he has like no hair and no body fat.  We have one open bed and one covered bed.  He so clearly prefers the covered bed that he can be dozing in the open bed and if someone moves the covered bed to where he can get to it (sometimes it's in rooms that are closed off to him at the moment), he will immediately get up and move to the covered bed.  They are both a soft lining and we cover him in the open bed so he doesn't get so cold but he clearly prefers being able to bury himself in.  So keeping that in mind, there aren't very many choices and they all seem to be made of this low quality fake sherpa material that he loves but doesn't hold up to his digging. Well I did see a couple that were almost $100 but I'm not paying that much for a dog bed especially when I have no guarantee the quality is any better.

We had rat terriers growing up and loved this fake fur fabric stuff we had for beds so I'm thinking of trying to find some of that and see if I can attach it somehow just to make a thicker bottom layer he can't dig through.

Ah ok, I don't have any experience with that kind of dog bed.  My dogs are bigger, one is a Lab mix and the other is a Weimaraner.  

Is your poor guy miserable in this weather? 

Edited by mommyoffive

DD had an in-person doctor appointment today. So I had to go out and about in the snow and cold this morning. 

Stopped at Target on our way home to pick up DD's last pair of jeans that just got shipped there. It's been over 2 weeks since I ordered them - I was less than impressed with their store-to-store shipping. But they're in and they're picked up, so whatever.

Finally decided to stop at McD's for treats for the kids. Middle got a cinnamon roll, picked up a Sprite for youngest (she was left to shovel while we went out), and a Coke for me. 

Have a grocery pickup later today. DH got called in to work again. 

• Like 3

Walmart has a bunch of kids winter coats for $9

I had picked one up for ds last year and it a good coat.  I like having 2 or more winter coats for them.  Sometimes they are soaked, get ripped, or just like different kinds for different things.

Wonder Nation Girls Bubble Puffer Jacket, sizes 4-18 & Plus

Wonder Nation Girls Exclusive Metallic Bubble Puffer Jacket, Sizes 4-18 & Plus

Wonder Nation Girls Printed Bubble Jacket, Sizes 4-18 & Plus

Wonder Nation Boys Exclusive Bubble Puffer Jacket, Sizes 4-18 & Husky

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 2/12/2021 at 2:00 PM, mommyoffive said:

Ah ok, I don't have any experience with that kind of dog bed.  My dogs are bigger, one is a Lab mix and the other is a Weimaraner.  

Is your poor guy miserable in this weather? 

Honestly, until we hit the bitter cold this week, he has been fine.  He loves playing in the snow (but we always make him wear a coat).  This week we've gotten the lift his paw and whimper though.  The ground is just too cold.  We've tried putting socks on his feet but he didn't like those.  Normally he loves to sniff around the yard quite a bit before getting down to business but this week, he's in and out in under 2 minutes! Which makes my girls really happy since I make them go out with him yet and they most definitely don't like the cold.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, hjffkj said:

@cjzimmer1 I am very much sick of this cold weather as well. And the heat bill makes me dizzy right now, sorta

I broke down last night and bumped the heat up a degree last night.  I just couldn't handle sitting here under blankets and my nose was so cold.  I turned it down last night before going to bed but I had to bump it up again tonight.  I guess that's better than leaving it at the higher temp all day though.  I know the bill will be over $300 this month (heat + electric) but I'm really hoping it stays under $400. But I just can't handle keeping it so cold all day long.

• Like 1

It is colder here as well. We turned down the heat a few degrees, so the daytime temp is now the same as the night temp. I'm glad my house isn't huge and I have good insulation but this cold snap is really going to drive up usage. By next weekend temps are supposed to be back up to average. 

I need to make a menu and grocery list today, I don't expect to be out for shopping until Thursday.

Dh got me 2 boxes of chocolates and a bag for Vday. I'm thinking our plan to take the kids for cheap vday candy tomorrow might be thwarted by the weather. Fingers crossed. If we can't get out I'll share my candy with them.

Edited by Soror

Second day of having a migraine that is just making me feel gross.  So not much getting done by me yesterday and today.

Ordered free meals for the week on Friday.  Picked up one day's worth of meals today.  They included a lots of extras from last week.  Kids were super happy.  

Picked up free crafts from the library. 

Did not get tax stuff together.

Putting in a grocery order for Tuesday.  Hoping for dh to do a return while he is there. 

Put in the violin lessons for school to cover. 

I am getting ideas for dd's birthday.  Trying to make it really special. 

I want to order some new masks.  

Getting donations ready.  I have 3 bags so far, but haven't worked on it at all. 

So on the list

Taxes

Use the last of one kiddo's allotment

Valentines day was frugal

Watched a movie, dh made a nice meal and cookies, and we put on some mushy movie and we all danced.  I just didn't have anything more in me to make it more special. 

Looking at chickens for the kiddos.  Not sure what kind we are getting this year. 

• Sad 1

We are $20 from gross $1000 on ebay in the last 3 weeks.  It is such a fun number to see.  I haven't calculated net yet because of the way ebay fees work I don't want to do it for individual items.  I'm just going to record fees when they invoice me at the end of the month. 

Recent high ROI sales, $10 vcr/dvd combo unit sold for $85.  $5 Dansko clogs sold for $45. $1 board game sold for $29. two ds games at a cost of $1.98 sold for $62.

Recent high ROI finds, $4 Brand New Vera Bradley bag sells for $84.  $10 sound system sells for $70. $3 cast iron jack o lantern sells for $50 but I'm keeping that for us I think.  Going to try to list those two item tonight.

• Like 5

14 minutes ago, hjffkj said:

We are $20 from gross $1000 on ebay in the last 3 weeks.  It is such a fun number to see.  I haven't calculated net yet because of the way ebay fees work I don't want to do it for individual items.  I'm just going to record fees when they invoice me at the end of the month. 

Recent high ROI sales, $10 vcr/dvd combo unit sold for $85.  $5 Dansko clogs sold for $45. $1 board game sold for $29. two ds games at a cost of $1.98 sold for $62.

Recent high ROI finds, $4 Brand New Vera Bradley bag sells for $84.  $10 sound system sells for $70. $3 cast iron jack o lantern sells for $50 but I'm keeping that for us I think.  Going to try to list those two item tonight.

Damn girl you are killing it!!!!  I think you have found success in hard goods, that is what I have seen on Youtube.  I think a lot of people thing clothes and I think there is money there, somehow hardgoods seem better or easier.  

I have seen so many people on youtube selling vcrs and I just don't get it.  Who is watching tapes still?  I don't know.  One of the guys that I watch on Youtube sells a lot of old things and he says it is people who collect things.  He sells old underwear (new),  old batteries, Old perfume, sheets,  old maxi pads and all sorts of things.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

Damn girl you are killing it!!!!  I think you have found success in hard goods, that is what I have seen on Youtube.  I think a lot of people thing clothes and I think there is money there, somehow hardgoods seem better or easier.  

I have seen so many people on youtube selling vcrs and I just don't get it.  Who is watching tapes still?  I don't know.  One of the guys that I watch on Youtube sells a lot of old things and he says it is people who collect things.  He sells old underwear (new),  old batteries, Old perfume, sheets,  old maxi pads and all sorts of things.  

Odd to the bolded!

Yes, hard goods seems to be were it is at for me right now.  Clothes just take too long to go through and learn I think for me to consider spending too much time on it.  I did find some nice vintage Hawaiian shirts that will sell nicely.  And some cycling related attire.  But I have realized that the prep work and picture taking for those things is a time investment so it has to be a quick find and high value for me to buy it.

Funny you say who still watches VHS movies.  We don't but we actually have two VHS board games that we like so we keep the VCR around for those.  We are actually playing one of them in a few minutes, ds is setting it up. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, hjffkj said:

Odd to the bolded!

Yes, hard goods seems to be were it is at for me right now.  Clothes just take too long to go through and learn I think for me to consider spending too much time on it.  I did find some nice vintage Hawaiian shirts that will sell nicely.  And some cycling related attire.  But I have realized that the prep work and picture taking for those things is a time investment so it has to be a quick find and high value for me to buy it.

Funny you say who still watches VHS movies.  We don't but we actually have two VHS board games that we like so we keep the VCR around for those.  We are actually playing one of them in a few minutes, ds is setting it up. 

Ahhhhhhh forgot to say old packages of them.  Not used.  And even old not used diapers. 

Oh wow, maybe you found the secret.  We are not a game family and I didn't even know these kind of games existed.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mommyoffive said:

Ahhhhhhh forgot to say old packages of them.  Not used.  And even old not used diapers. 

Oh wow, maybe you found the secret.  We are not a game family and I didn't even know these kind of games existed.  

We have two at this house, Nightmare and Atmosfear.  They are fun and bring back a lot of nostalgia for me because I would play them late at night with my brother and two cousins.  There is another we have at my parents' house which is a Clue game that is a fun as well.  In it would have to watch scenes and pick up clues from the scene.  I haven't played that one for about 20 years though so who knows if it is actually fun

• Like 1

@hjffkjCongrats on the success! It seemed the last I sold on ebay fees worked to around 10% for basic sells, it is annoying how they do it.

@mommyoffivesorry about the migraine 😞

No spending here. Turned down thermostat again, staying home. Did not make it to Vday shopping with the kids. It finally stopped snowing but the plow hasn't been by and they say roads are bad. Have most of menu down, need to finish it and my grocery list. Tonight is tacos.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, hjffkj said:

There is a place on ebay - I think it is Seller Account - where you can see the individual fees if you want to track them individually. 

You are doing so well! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Soror said:

@hjffkjCongrats on the success! It seemed the last I sold on ebay fees worked to around 10% for basic sells, it is annoying how they do it.

@mommyoffivesorry about the migraine 😞

No spending here. Turned down thermostat again, staying home. Did not make it to Vday shopping with the kids. It finally stopped snowing but the plow hasn't been by and they say roads are bad. Have most of menu down, need to finish it and my grocery list. Tonight is tacos.

Yeah, it does seem to be about 10% which is fine.  I just don't like hunting for the actual amount with each sale.  There site is in need of a major redesign. So, since they invoice me each month I'll figure it out then.

1 hour ago, historically accurate said:

There is a place on ebay - I think it is Seller Account - where you can see the individual fees if you want to track them individually. 

You are doing so well! 

Thank you. Yeah,  I have found the fees tracked individually.  But then I have to deal with Paypal fees too individually.  It is too much bookkeeping to deal with at the moment.  I will be happier once I'm on ebay's managed payments because it doesn't use paypal.

• Like 1

I think I want a new kitchen faucet.  We replaced ours over the summer as the faucet was broken and dripping.  This one is lower and is just annoying because of how low it is.  So I started looking.  Now I want a touchless one.  But our current sink has a side sprayer so I think I need to find one like that.  Searching but I haven't found one yet.  

• Like 1

Strike two on having someone else install out darn dishwasher!!! We had the plumber come out to install it and fix a leaking sink.  He got the old dishwasher disconnected and out.  when he pushed the new dishwasher in it wouldn't go all the way back.  Apparently, the wiring from the old dishwasher comes right out of the floor because older dishwashers have open space under them.  Well the one we bought has zero open space so this wire in the floor stops it from going in. 😞

So, dh is going to have to use the jigsaw to cut out the floor in order to weave the wire through and up.  Which if he has to do that he might as well finish the dishwasher install job himself. Saved money but we just really wanted our time over our money this time.

• Sad 3

Little bits and bobs of spending this week.

Had to purchase baby and sympathy card, so run to Dollar Tree. Way better price ($1.62 for two cards) than my mom said her card was for Oldest DD's birthday. She was sick, dragged herself to the grocery store for a birthday card (non-pink for DD! there was only one), went to pay and found out the card was $7.99! She said Oldest DD has to frame this dang thing and hang it on her wall LOL.

Picked up free craft kits at the library. Picked up the leggings from Old Navy someone posted about the other day for Middle DD. Mailed some bills.

Refilled a couple of prescriptions. Called medical insurance for an overcharge and somehow ended up a wash - they overcharged for one visit, but while speaking, realized they had undercharged for another so they are resubmitting both. Called and got on a payment plan for a hospital trip late 2020. Purchased a Wii game for kids for Easter off of ebay this week. We've always just done one basket with a movie and a piece of candy or Little Debbie's for Easter.  

Tomorrow I'll have to stop by the post office to ship the baby gift. I can pick up school lunches when I go to do that as they are close together. 

Working on menu plan/grocery list this afternoon. I've got the ingredients for birthday supper/cupcakes for youngest on there, but I still need to get her a gift. Need to call oral surgeon and see if he's received the paperwork from orthodontist. I need to get a care package together for oldest as it's been a while. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, historically accurate said:

Little bits and bobs of spending this week.

Had to purchase baby and sympathy card, so run to Dollar Tree. Way better price ($1.62 for two cards) than my mom said her card was for Oldest DD's birthday. She was sick, dragged herself to the grocery store for a birthday card (non-pink for DD! there was only one), went to pay and found out the card was $7.99! She said Oldest DD has to frame this dang thing and hang it on her wall LOL.

Picked up free craft kits at the library. Picked up the leggings from Old Navy someone posted about the other day for Middle DD. Mailed some bills.

Refilled a couple of prescriptions. Called medical insurance for an overcharge and somehow ended up a wash - they overcharged for one visit, but while speaking, realized they had undercharged for another so they are resubmitting both. Called and got on a payment plan for a hospital trip late 2020. Purchased a Wii game for kids for Easter off of ebay this week. We've always just done one basket with a movie and a piece of candy or Little Debbie's for Easter.  

Tomorrow I'll have to stop by the post office to ship the baby gift. I can pick up school lunches when I go to do that as they are close together. 

Working on menu plan/grocery list this afternoon. I've got the ingredients for birthday supper/cupcakes for youngest on there, but I still need to get her a gift. Need to call oral surgeon and see if he's received the paperwork from orthodontist. I need to get a care package together for oldest as it's been a while. 

That is a expensive card!  Yes, Dollar Tree for cards is the way to go. 

Oh you will have to tell me what your craft projects are.  Your library has good ones. 

Sounds like you have been really busy staying on top of everything!  Always so much to do right? 

Yesterday I had the kids eating as many of the leftover bits that I could from the fridge.  They all complained that the fridge was too empty.  Which was the point because then I cleaned the whole top to bottom.  I've been needing to do that for a while but the school lunches fill it up so much that I have to time my cleaning around when those are all used up.

Picked up school lunch boxes and went grocery shopping.  Came to $75.  Considering it's been 2 weeks since I last shopped, I was quite happy it was that low.  

We used to get doughnuts every Tuesday when I did my grocery shopping because the grocery store would discount them right before we got there but they stopped selling them when COVID hit. I had been planning to go to a local bakery to get some as a surprise but hadn't yet.  With all the talk of Fat Tuesday it seemed like as good as time as any so I splurged and bought a dozen paczki's yesterday.

Also paid to have my dog's nails clipped. He has black nails and I've been trying to do it myself but I have no idea how far back I can cut and I'm so scared of hurting him that I end up doing more like shavings and within a week they are all grown back.  The vet had done them the first time but since we aren't allowed in, I didn't get to see how they did it.  The rescue that I got him from does a nail cutting fundraiser once a month (and it's still cheaper than the vet) so I took him there in the hopes that I could watch someone do it.  Nope they take the dogs about 20 feet away and do them.  You can see your dog but if you're trying to watch and learn it's too far to see.  Oh well, at least the money went to a cause I care about. Next month he gets neutered and they cut them there so come April I will have to practice again.

DD had taken the garbage can to the road earlier in the night, but after we finished the doughnuts, I sent her to stick the box out there just so it would have to float around here another week.  She said there was foot prints in the snow leading up to my son's car that she didn't think were ours.  Yep those treads don't belong to any shoe in our house.  Can't tell exactly where they went because the snow around the vehicles was all packed and footprints don't show but we had no deliveries or solicitors yesterday so no reason for anyone to leave the sidewalk and walk up the driveway.  There has been a big uptick of break-ins/and robberies of cars lately, I expect it was someone checking if the car was locked and/or there was a garage door opener in it.  No damage was done but it was just a reminder that we really do want to get some kind of security system just so we can keep an eye on what's going on out there. 

DH kinda sorta has an idea on what his bonus might be (which is good timing because then I know we have the funds for the security system once we figure out what we want to do).  They have some really wonky calculation and even having it all written out on paper, it doesn't make much sense but I guess that doesn't matter as much as the actual amount.  I know it will get taxed heavily but I won't know those details till Friday. 

DS2 got frustrated with the new managers at his job.  He's applied a few places and things are looking good for him to move into a manufacturing job.  He'll be making more money too.  But it means no more free meat and rice from the restaurant he works at.  The last few weeks we've been getting 3-4 meals a week from those leftovers.  I don't mind cooking but it will mean I'll probably have to buy a few more groceries once he switches.

• Like 2

On 2/16/2021 at 11:22 AM, mommyoffive said:

I think I want a new kitchen faucet.  We replaced ours over the summer as the faucet was broken and dripping.  This one is lower and is just annoying because of how low it is.  So I started looking.  Now I want a touchless one.  But our current sink has a side sprayer so I think I need to find one like that.  Searching but I haven't found one yet.  

I'm not 100% sure but I think you can change the faucet and still keep the sprayer that you have.  While mine came as a set, they connect somewhere under the sink so I would think you could replace the faucet and just have the plumber make that same connection with the new faucet and the existing sprayer.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, hjffkj said:

So, dh is going to have to use the jigsaw to cut out the floor in order to weave the wire through and up.  Which if he has to do that he might as well finish the dishwasher install job himself. Saved money but we just really wanted our time over our money this time.

That sounds so frustrating.  But at least he has the skills to do the project.  Think how much worse it would be if you had to pay someone to do the cut out stuff and still have to pay someone else to install the dishwasher.

• Like 4

The dishwasher is installed, only took dh an hour, and we've done a load.  I LOVE IT! I really missed having a working dishwasher the few weeks.

Oh and also... dh's hard copy W2s came in the mail and the missing state part was on there.  Basically the HR person who sent him it to him electronically left out a page. So, I got the taxes done and filed today!  Nice big check coming to us because of credits and the stimulus money for our youngest.

• Like 5

46 minutes ago, cjzimmer1 said:

I'm not 100% sure but I think you can change the faucet and still keep the sprayer that you have.  While mine came as a set, they connect somewhere under the sink so I would think you could replace the faucet and just have the plumber make that same connection with the new faucet and the existing sprayer.

Ok, good to know.  Dh and Ds replaced the faucet last summer.  I just brought this up the other day to him, so I will have him look on Youtube and see what he can figure out.  It isn't a need, it would just be nicer to have a higher one and one that you could turn on and off with messy hands.  

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, cjzimmer1 said:

Yesterday I had the kids eating as many of the leftover bits that I could from the fridge.  They all complained that the fridge was too empty.  Which was the point because then I cleaned the whole top to bottom.  I've been needing to do that for a while but the school lunches fill it up so much that I have to time my cleaning around when those are all used up.

Picked up school lunch boxes and went grocery shopping.  Came to $75.  Considering it's been 2 weeks since I last shopped, I was quite happy it was that low.  

We used to get doughnuts every Tuesday when I did my grocery shopping because the grocery store would discount them right before we got there but they stopped selling them when COVID hit. I had been planning to go to a local bakery to get some as a surprise but hadn't yet.  With all the talk of Fat Tuesday it seemed like as good as time as any so I splurged and bought a dozen paczki's yesterday.

Also paid to have my dog's nails clipped. He has black nails and I've been trying to do it myself but I have no idea how far back I can cut and I'm so scared of hurting him that I end up doing more like shavings and within a week they are all grown back.  The vet had done them the first time but since we aren't allowed in, I didn't get to see how they did it.  The rescue that I got him from does a nail cutting fundraiser once a month (and it's still cheaper than the vet) so I took him there in the hopes that I could watch someone do it.  Nope they take the dogs about 20 feet away and do them.  You can see your dog but if you're trying to watch and learn it's too far to see.  Oh well, at least the money went to a cause I care about. Next month he gets neutered and they cut them there so come April I will have to practice again.

DD had taken the garbage can to the road earlier in the night, but after we finished the doughnuts, I sent her to stick the box out there just so it would have to float around here another week.  She said there was foot prints in the snow leading up to my son's car that she didn't think were ours.  Yep those treads don't belong to any shoe in our house.  Can't tell exactly where they went because the snow around the vehicles was all packed and footprints don't show but we had no deliveries or solicitors yesterday so no reason for anyone to leave the sidewalk and walk up the driveway.  There has been a big uptick of break-ins/and robberies of cars lately, I expect it was someone checking if the car was locked and/or there was a garage door opener in it.  No damage was done but it was just a reminder that we really do want to get some kind of security system just so we can keep an eye on what's going on out there. 

DH kinda sorta has an idea on what his bonus might be (which is good timing because then I know we have the funds for the security system once we figure out what we want to do).  They have some really wonky calculation and even having it all written out on paper, it doesn't make much sense but I guess that doesn't matter as much as the actual amount.  I know it will get taxed heavily but I won't know those details till Friday. 

DS2 got frustrated with the new managers at his job.  He's applied a few places and things are looking good for him to move into a manufacturing job.  He'll be making more money too.  But it means no more free meat and rice from the restaurant he works at.  The last few weeks we've been getting 3-4 meals a week from those leftovers.  I don't mind cooking but it will mean I'll probably have to buy a few more groceries once he switches.

That is pretty amazing grocery bill for all of you.  Wow. 

Oh that is annoying about the dog's nails.  Something you wouldn't even think of that is now different in the Covid times.  I hate cutting dog nails.  My ds does it for the dogs.  He was only able to watch it done to our older dog who has light nails.  Our other dog has black nails, so far no trouble.  The only bloody events have been with the dog with lighter nails.  But she is very jumpy in her old age.  Even when we were looking at dogs the nail color was something I wanted a certain way.  Didn't work out because dh picked on personality, the rest of us weren't there. 

Oh that is scary about the footprints.  I think a system would be a great idea.  I need to pull the plug on that too. 

From what I have read a bonus gets taxed heavy when you get it, but when you file taxes it just gets taxed the same as regular pay?   I don't know.  I do know that the bonus always seems like a lot and when it hits the bank account it is a lot less.  I don't do our taxes so I don't really pay that much attention to that side of it.  Also if your 401k is on when the bonus pays out it takes chunk of that depending on how high you have it set. 

31 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

That is pretty amazing grocery bill for all of you.  Wow. 

Oh that is annoying about the dog's nails.  Something you wouldn't even think of that is now different in the Covid times.  I hate cutting dog nails.  My ds does it for the dogs.  He was only able to watch it done to our older dog who has light nails.  Our other dog has black nails, so far no trouble.  The only bloody events have been with the dog with lighter nails.  But she is very jumpy in her old age.  Even when we were looking at dogs the nail color was something I wanted a certain way.  Didn't work out because dh picked on personality, the rest of us weren't there. 

Oh that is scary about the footprints.  I think a system would be a great idea.  I need to pull the plug on that too. 

From what I have read a bonus gets taxed heavy when you get it, but when you file taxes it just gets taxed the same as regular pay?   I don't know.  I do know that the bonus always seems like a lot and when it hits the bank account it is a lot less.  I don't do our taxes so I don't really pay that much attention to that side of it.  Also if your 401k is on when the bonus pays out it takes chunk of that depending on how high you have it set. 

Re: bonus tax calculations

Yes, bonuses are taxed heavily. Essentially, they are taxed as if that were your normal weekly/biweekly pay. So if you earn a $2500 annual bonus, and you get paid weekly, it would be taxed as if you earned approximately $130,000/year. I used to do payroll, and that is how we figured out the tax on them. Then, when you figure taxes, it's just added to your normal pay and taxed as income, which is a lot less than what it originally had taken out of it. 

Craft Kit from the library was for the teens. It was the Valentine's Day "Love Yourself" edition; kids were on the waiting list so since there were extras they got them this week. They got mandala coloring sheets and lavender scented thinking putty for calming, a balloon and some flour to fill it with (and a funnel) to make a squishie, and pieces of fleece & stuffing to make a heart shaped fleece tie pillow (like the fleece blankets that you tie along the edges). 

• Like 3

54 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

There was a note from HR that said the bonuses were taxed at the Federal rate of 22% and then you have SS, Medicare, and state taxes and the 401k contribution.  I looked back and saw last year about 60% made it into the bank account.  We have more going into 401k this year so I'm guessing 50- 55% will make it to our account.

Yeah, we get back any extra at tax time but I'd rather have that money all year to work with than let the government hold it for me just so I can get a larger lump sum at tax time.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, historically accurate said:

Yes, bonuses are taxed heavily. Essentially, they are taxed as if that were your normal weekly/biweekly pay. So if you earn a $2500 annual bonus, and you get paid weekly, it would be taxed as if you earned approximately $130,000/year. I used to do payroll, and that is how we figured out the tax on them. Then, when you figure taxes, it's just added to your normal pay and taxed as income, which is a lot less than what it originally had taken out of it. 

Craft Kit from the library was for the teens. It was the Valentine's Day "Love Yourself" edition; kids were on the waiting list so since there were extras they got them this week. They got mandala coloring sheets and lavender scented thinking putty for calming, a balloon and some flour to fill it with (and a funnel) to make a squishie, and pieces of fleece & stuffing to make a heart shaped fleece tie pillow (like the fleece blankets that you tie along the edges). 

Yeah I knew it was taxed at a higher rate and HR said it was taxed at 22% for federal.  I was trying to figure out what the deposit amount might be but the state doesn't have a nice flat amount.  Because we exceed their chart in 2 directions (one direction is for # of people and the other directions is for the amount of the check) so then I have to do all kinds of extra calculations. When he starts a new job I will often go through it just so I can have some idea of what to expect since often times the 1st check is 4 weeks after the start date but since I'll have my answer on this one in 2 days, I'll just wait to see what the final amount is. 

Those are some amazing crafts your library is handing out. Hope your kids have lots of fun with those.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, historically accurate said:

Wow, your library is awesome.  Ours only gives one craft per week and it rotates being for kids or teens week to week.  Still very happy ours does this.  I wish I would have found out about it sooner.  

• Like 2