Menu

February Frugalistas 2021

mommyoffive

I've started listing things on ebay instead of facebook marketplace.  It is a trial and error figuring out what gets notice on which platform.  I did realize that it is near impossible to get in touch with anyone at facebook marketplace when there is an issue but they're Payment Protection is not terrible.  One of my buyers didn't receive their package on the day it was expected so they opened a case (talk about impatience.)  Anyway, FB immediately refunded them but they still gave me my funds.  They just ate the cost

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, historically accurate said:

I always tell my kids to bring me back "checks and love letters" when they go to get the mail (our mailbox is about 1/4 mile down the road). Yesterday, DD actually brought me a check! It was for a whopping $5.20, but it was unexpected money. Apparently, DH was in a class action lawsuit for tylenol, so yay!

Staying home and saving money today.

Unfortunately, it was sleeting here during the time to pick up school lunches, so I didn't go. I'm filling my grocery cart now, and I will probably set it for tomorrow pickup. I'm trying to make a meal plan, but I'm getting really tired of my cooking though. I really want to eat out, but DH is going out for lunch since he is at work all day today. 

Skylight in the kids' bathroom dripped on my head yesterday. *sigh* We just replaced the one in our bathroom last year. 

I got the same check the other day.  Ha. 

Boo on the weather too.  I am over winter.  I am over it every year.  I so want to move somewhere warmer.  I don't like the weather October- April. 

Boo on the skylight.  They seem pretty neat to have though.  I haven't ever had one. 

Edited by mommyoffive

Man if we get another round of stimulus checks and it is $1400 per person that will be  ridiculous amount of money to us.  Not complaining, but it will certainly finish off all the 2021 financial plans I had for us. I'll have to reevaluate things since our tax refund will no longer need to go towards those goals.  We'll just add more goals, most likely investing goals.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, hjffkj said:

Man if we get another round of stimulus checks and it is $1400 per person that will be  ridiculous amount of money to us.  Not complaining, but it will certainly finish off all the 2021 financial plans I had for us. I'll have to reevaluate things since our tax refund will no longer need to go towards those goals.  We'll just add more goals, most likely investing goals.

Yeah it is a lot of money for families with a lot of kids. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

Cool!  What was it?  You are doing awesome in your new venture. 

It was a Vincent Price Shrunken Heads Kit from the 80s if I'm remembering the year correctly. And thanks.  It does feel like it is going well.  I do have things that are posted on ebay right now that I need to take new pictures of.  I'll likely have the kids do it later.  It has been a fun venture.  Easy in theory but there is certainly a learning curve.

Edited by hjffkj
  • Like 3

12 minutes ago, hjffkj said:

It was a Vincent Price Shrunken Heads Kit from the 80s if I'm remembering the year correctly. And thanks.  It does feel like it is going well.  I do have things that are posted on ebay right now that I need to take new pictures of.  I'll likely have the kids do it later.  It has been a fun venture.  Easy in theory but there is certainly a learning curve.

Ha.  I think I remember those.  I think you are doing well and I am sure that the kids are learning so much too.  Are they going with you all the time to source? 

16 minutes ago, hjffkj said:

If they truly stick to that I plan  to redo the rock wall that runs through the middle of the yard.  It was a problem from the day they put it in and even after they redid it, it has been a thorn in my side.  We had a quote 20 years to replace it and it was completely unaffordable to us.  If they send us that kind of stimulus money, even with inflation, I might stand a chance of being able to do something with that wall.

What I wonder, if they end up doing something where some dependents get less, will be they be using 2019 or 2020 tax returns.  DD turned 17 in 2020 after we filed taxes so we've been able to get all the stimulus money for her but we would lose her if they go off of 2020 returns and still have the age thing.  I know most of the current plans say everyone but I know things could totally change before they nail everything down.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

Ha.  I think I remember those.  I think you are doing well and I am sure that the kids are learning so much too.  Are they going with you all the time to source? 

No, they don't go every time. I'm trying to make sure they come at least once a week with me but I'm also bringing one kid at time so I can focus on just helping that kid learn what is worth looking up the value and other stuff. For example, dd11 is interested in clothing and toys. She's picked a few purses that were a good value. While ds12 is interested in electronics and shoes.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, cjzimmer1 said:

If they truly stick to that I plan  to redo the rock wall that runs through the middle of the yard.  It was a problem from the day they put it in and even after they redid it, it has been a thorn in my side.  We had a quote 20 years to replace it and it was completely unaffordable to us.  If they send us that kind of stimulus money, even with inflation, I might stand a chance of being able to do something with that wall.

What I wonder, if they end up doing something where some dependents get less, will be they be using 2019 or 2020 tax returns.  DD turned 17 in 2020 after we filed taxes so we've been able to get all the stimulus money for her but we would lose her if they go off of 2020 returns and still have the age thing.  I know most of the current plans say everyone but I know things could totally change before they nail everything down.

Is it a retaining wall in your backyard? 

Yeah, I think there is a chance that things will change before it is passed.  A lot of people are thinking of either filing taxes right now or delaying them depending on income limits and how they did.  I think that Biden was going to include 17 year olds in this one though.  I think it was going to include adult dependents.  I haven't seen anything on if there is a limit to how many kids you will be able to have though.  I think a lot of it you have to wait on. 

3 minutes ago, hjffkj said:

No, they don't go every time. I'm trying to make sure they come at least once a week with me but I'm also bringing one kid at time so I can focus on just helping that kid learn what is worth looking up the value and other stuff. For example, dd11 is interested in clothing and toys. She's picked a few purses that were a good value. While ds12 is interested in electronics and shoes.

So smart.  Then you guys can cover everything, but have one person who knows more about that certain area. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

Yeah, I think there is a chance that things will change before it is passed.  A lot of people are thinking of either filing taxes right now or delaying them depending on income limits and how they did.  I think that Biden was going to include 17 year olds in this one though.  I think it was going to include adult dependents.  I haven't seen anything on if there is a limit to how many kids you will be able to have though.  I think a lot of it you have to wait on. 

Yeah, Pelosi is saying she expects to have the bill written, voted on, and sent to the Senate in the next two weeks. So, I imagine the actual bill will be revealed early next week.  We'll see.

• Like 3

Got my first pay from my new job and treated everyone to a breakfast sandwich from McDonald’s.  First eating out we have had in a very long time. The silence while they savored them was deafening haha. $6 well spent! New job will only add $60 a week, but that’s half our grocery budget every month 

• Like 5

1 minute ago, saraha said:

Got my first pay from my new job and treated everyone to a breakfast sandwich from McDonald’s.  First eating out we have had in a very long time. The silence while they savored them was deafening haha. $6 well spent! New job will only add $60 a week, but that’s half our grocery budget every month 

I always calculate things like that too.  I have no clue why I am so focused on that one bill.  🙂    It all ads up. 

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, saraha said:

Covering half your groceries isn't a bad deal! And the price of McDonald's breakfast sandwiches is totally worth it. I will admit DH gets me a McGriddle about every 6 weeks as a surprise - I love those things (unfortunately, my hips do too!)

I had been trying to remember who had the SnappyMeals blog, and I see it's you. I was catching up on my blog reading the other day, and I'm pretty sure it's your blog that talked about stretching meat with lentils. Can you give me a little direction on how to do that? The pickiest kid won't eat ground meat, so I don't need to worry about her. I think all the rest of us wouldn't have much problem changing over to lentil/meat mix. I've never cooked with lentils in my life, so if you have the time and/or energy, I'd appreciate you walking me through the process. 

• Like 4

@historically accurate Super easy! Boil 1/2 to 1 cup of lentils in one sauce pot while browning your ground beef in a skillet. Lentils boil for 20 minutes. Then drain your lentils, add to skillet, add add your taco seasoning or sloppy joe sauce or whatever. Easy peasy! 

I started out just adding half a cup til everyone got used to it, then just kept increasing the ratio. There is no specific lentil to water ratio like you have with rice, just make sure there is enough water in the pot like with pasta. We mainly mix lentils with ground beef for tacos and sloppy joes. I have one dd that is vegetarian and she eats just lentils in sloppy joe sauce.

Edited by saraha
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, saraha said:

@historically accurate Super easy! Boil 1/2 to 1 cup of lentils in one sauce pot while browning your ground beef in a skillet. Lentils boil for 20 minutes. Then drain your lentils, add to skillet, add add your taco seasoning or sloppy joe sauce or whatever. Easy peasy! 

I started out just adding half a cup til everyone got used to it, then just kept increasing the ratio. There is no specific lentil to water ratio like you have with rice, just make sure there is enough water in the pot like with pasta. We mainly mix lentils with ground beef for tacos and sloppy joes. I have one dd that is vegetarian and she eats just lentils in sloppy joe sauce.

Thanks! I can totally handle that level of cooking LOL.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Thatboyofmine said:

I went to hobby lobby today and spent too much.  I am going to see my grandparents' grave tomorrow (saw grandmother in a dream and promised her I'd go) and am taking flowers for them and a little boy's grave that is next to theirs.   My parents usually do it, but I told them I would and save them the trip.   Anyway, of course, the flowers weren't on sale and crapola, they're expensive!    HL was having a sale on their spring stuff so I got two wooden watermelon shaped cutouts for the door and I'll paint them and give them to my mom and mil for Mother's Day, only $5 each.   

I picked up a grocery pickup at Walmart yesterday and I got 3 of someone else's bags and they left out 3 bags of my own stuff.   So I went today and they had my stuff ready for me.  I kept the other food, $45 worth of beef stew meat.  🤷🏻‍♀️   Maybe dh can cook it.  I've never cooked beef stew.   

My car got paid off.   🙌🏼🙌🏼🙌🏼  Ds's truck should be paid off by the end of the year, even if we don't put the car money towards it.   Dh talked to the mortgage place and figured out that instead of a refi, he can put a certain amount extra toward the mortgage and pay it off even quicker, I think.  Anyway, I think some of the car payment money will go for that and the rest into savings.  Then... we can get his paid off!!!    I am praying that I NEVER EVER have to have a car payment again after that.  Hopefully we can get enough in savings to get a reliable car if something happens.  Not necessarily pretty, but reliable.

Trying to get a better hold on grocery costs.   Grrrrrr...    I suck at that.   

Awesome job paying off the car!! Congrats.    We don't have any car payments right now and it sure is nice.  We probably would have bought dh a new car had things been normal this last.  But hey it gives us an extra year plus of not just not doing it.  

Glad that Walmart gave you your real order.  Score on some extra food. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Thatboyofmine said:

I went to hobby lobby today and spent too much.  I am going to see my grandparents' grave tomorrow (saw grandmother in a dream and promised her I'd go) and am taking flowers for them and a little boy's grave that is next to theirs.   My parents usually do it, but I told them I would and save them the trip.   Anyway, of course, the flowers weren't on sale and crapola, they're expensive!    HL was having a sale on their spring stuff so I got two wooden watermelon shaped cutouts for the door and I'll paint them and give them to my mom and mil for Mother's Day, only $5 each.   

I picked up a grocery pickup at Walmart yesterday and I got 3 of someone else's bags and they left out 3 bags of my own stuff.   So I went today and they had my stuff ready for me.  I kept the other food, $45 worth of beef stew meat.  🤷🏻‍♀️   Maybe dh can cook it.  I've never cooked beef stew.   

My car got paid off.   🙌🏼🙌🏼🙌🏼  Ds's truck should be paid off by the end of the year, even if we don't put the car money towards it.   Dh talked to the mortgage place and figured out that instead of a refi, he can put a certain amount extra toward the mortgage and pay it off even quicker, I think.  Anyway, I think some of the car payment money will go for that and the rest into savings.  Then... we can get his paid off!!!    I am praying that I NEVER EVER have to have a car payment again after that.  Hopefully we can get enough in savings to get a reliable car if something happens.  Not necessarily pretty, but reliable.

https://www.southyourmouth.com/2013/02/stewed-beef-rice.html?m=1

try this, it’s fantastic. We don’t really like stew, but we love this 

and yay on the car!

Edited by saraha
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, mommyoffive said:

yes but it's huge.  We live on a hill and when they dug the basement, they went too deep.  if they tried to fill it back in, the soil wouldn't have been firm enough to pour the foundation on. So instead of having a small swail on the lower side of our house, we have a  huge retaining wall that runs the complete side of our house and about 3/4 of the back of our house and cuts up the yard tremendously.  Add to it that our up the hill neighbor was building at the same time we did (so neither yard was landscaped), every time in rained until the grass set water rain in deep rivers across our yard and washed out, the backfill behind the retaining wall (it's made of huge rocks but they neglected to put any retaining material behind them).  Now with the passage of time and more backfill washing out, the top row of rocks is starting to sink, plus there is tons of weeds grow through the rocks but their root base is back so far, all you can do is break off the stems because you can't get ahold of the base of the plant to pull them out by their roots. So it's an unsightly mess that is only going to continue to deteriorate.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

5 minutes ago, cjzimmer1 said:

yes but it's huge.  We live on a hill and when they dug the basement, they went too deep.  if they tried to fill it back in, the soil wouldn't have been firm enough to pour the foundation on. So instead of having a small swail on the lower side of our house, we have a  huge retaining wall that runs the complete side of our house and about 3/4 of the back of our house and cuts up the yard tremendously.  Add to it that our up the hill neighbor was building at the same time we did (so neither yard was landscaped), every time in rained until the grass set water rain in deep rivers across our yard and washed out, the backfill behind the retaining wall (it's made of huge rocks but they neglected to put any retaining material behind them).  Now with the passage of time and more backfill washing out, the top row of rocks is starting to sink, plus there is tons of weeds grow through the rocks but their root base is back so far, all you can do is break off the stems because you can't get ahold of the base of the plant to pull them out by their roots. So it's an unsightly mess that is only going to continue to deteriorate.

Ugh, that sounds expensive.  

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, saraha said:

I'll just add when I do this we prefer to use brown lentils because we find they have the closest flavor to meat. But I agree with start with a lower amount of lentils and just keep upping the amount over time.  

I will also use the blend in stuffed peppers and shepherd's pie. 

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, saraha said:

I’m sorry they didn’t fix it properly at the time. That would drive me crazy. Would home owners insurance pay for it?

I can't imagine they would.  It doesn't affect the house at all and technically there was nothing wrong with the way the wall was built.  What is going on now is just natural ground changes even if it changes in a way I wish it wouldn't

28 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

Ugh, that sounds expensive.  

The quote 20 years ago was in the range of 5-6K.  But there is a guy from our church who does this kind of work and based on what others have said, I'm expecting he will be reasonably priced.  I haven't asked for a quote yet because we have so many other house projects in the works that I know we don't have any funding right now unless they send us the proposed stimulus money.  I'm not really counting on being able to do the wall but I can dream, right?

• Like 3

Got some good tax news I wasn't aware of.    We still don't have all our forms.  Ugh.  I really love to have this done by now.  I know they are not accepting, but still I could have it at the CPA by now. 

Got our bill from the ER visit.  It was all covered.  We were expecting to be out thousands. 

Will order meals on tonight, but I really don't want to go out and get them.  It is going to be so cold for over a week.  I have spent the day looking for houses in Nashville.  I do this every winter.  Now mind you I have never been to that state.  🙂     Our heating bill is going to be awful.  

• Like 3

10 hours ago, mommyoffive said:

Got some good tax news I wasn't aware of.    We still don't have all our forms.  Ugh.  I really love to have this done by now.  I know they are not accepting, but still I could have it at the CPA by now. 

Got our bill from the ER visit.  It was all covered.  We were expecting to be out thousands. 

Will order meals on tonight, but I really don't want to go out and get them.  It is going to be so cold for over a week.  I have spent the day looking for houses in Nashville.  I do this every winter.  Now mind you I have never been to that state.  🙂     Our heating bill is going to be awful.  

I'm waiting on taxes too. I need UAH to revise the tuition information form. I can't do taxes until they fix it. I talked to my mom last night, and she wants to start hers. She says she has free lifetime tax help since she helped put me through college. So, I'll have to set up a time to do hers. 

Yay for a covered ER visit! That is wonderful news.

DH and I periodically look at TN zillow also. Although we focus on the Knoxville area. Occasionally, we peruse Georgia or Alabama or North Carolina. It's nice to dream about some heat in the winter. 85% chance we'll move to the southeast after the kids are grown. I have always wanted to move to that region after college in Kentucky, but family brought me home. Northern IL is very cold right now, and it's an expensive state. 

We're planning on Little Caesar's pizza tonight. We have grocery pickup later this afternoon as well which is good since we just ran out of eggs and milk this morning. 

DH has worked Saturday morning for the last 3 weeks, so lots more overtime than usual. He said last night that the project they are working on was originally discussed as taking the whole of 2021. DH said yesterday's meeting it sounded as if it were ending in July. No wonder he's working so much! With the overtime pay and the next relief bill if passed means we'll be sitting pretty good with our sinking funds. 

I'm thinking of planting a raspberry bush this year. We have blackberries which have done very well. So I think it's time to expand a little. It's time to dream of the garden since it's -4 degrees outside haha!

@ThatboyofmineWay to go on getting your car paid off! What a wonderful feeling that must be! 

@cjzimmer1I hope you can get that retaining wall figured out. That sounds like a bear to fix.

• Like 4

I’ve been struggling with motivation on all fronts this past week or so. Between losing my cat, the dog’s surgery, the giant snow we got, the snow that’s coming, sister drama (legitimate), friend drama (very serious), and a couple of days where we once again contemplated dh quitting his job, I’m on empty.

My current plan is to ignore the world all weekend and come back strong on Monday. 😛 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

2 minutes ago, Carrie12345 said:

I’ve been struggling with motivation on all fronts this past week or so. Between losing my cat, the dog’s surgery, the giant snow we got, the snow that’s coming, sister drama (legitimate), friend drama (very serious), and a couple of days where we once again contemplated dh quitting his job, I’m on empty.

My current plan is to ignore the world all weekend and come back strong on Monday. 😛 

Oh man, that is way to much for one week.  I am so sorry.  Yeah I think cuddling up in bed and forgetting the world for a few days is a good treatment plan. 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, saraha said:

Congratulations on the new job! Every little bit helps. I like to think of my check as to what it can go to as well, it keeps me motivated. BTW if you haven't already download the McDonald's app they give deals and coupons all the time. I took the younger girls out one day as they had buy one get one free on fries.

19 hours ago, Thatboyofmine said:

Wow, that is frustrating about the stew meat. $45 of stew meat is a lot! Stew is easy to make. I also use stew chunks cooked in the instant pot in stir-fries, it is another way to stretch it. 

Congrats on paying off the car!!!

11 hours ago, mommyoffive said:

That is great news on the ER bill, ya! 

40 minutes ago, historically accurate said:

I'm waiting on taxes too. I need UAH to revise the tuition information form. I can't do taxes until they fix it. I talked to my mom last night, and she wants to start hers. She says she has free lifetime tax help since she helped put me through college. So, I'll have to set up a time to do hers. 

DH has worked Saturday morning for the last 3 weeks, so lots more overtime than usual. He said last night that the project they are working on was originally discussed as taking the whole of 2021. DH said yesterday's meeting it sounded as if it were ending in July. No wonder he's working so much! With the overtime pay and the next relief bill if passed means we'll be sitting pretty good with our sinking funds. 

I'm thinking of planting a raspberry bush this year. We have blackberries which have done very well. So I think it's time to expand a little. It's time to dream of the garden since it's -4 degrees outside haha!

@Thatboyofmine

That's great that dh is getting OT, that is a big help. Hopefully it stretches out nice and long.

Edited by Soror
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Thatboyofmine said:

Well, I'm going to a goodwill in another city today, maybe two.  And another thrift store.  Thanks a lot @hjffkj.  😆😆😆

We're going to the cemetery today 1.5 hrs away and Dh is using that as his excuse to get to go to Texas Roadhouse since we don't have one here.   🤷🏻‍♀️

Are you starting your own reselling business or just going for fun?  I tried going thrift store shopping last year, as there were one near the dance studio my kids were at.  I was mostly looking at clothes and not to resell and honestly there was nothing good there.  I could get stuff on sale for the same or cheaper price.  I tried Once Upon a Child too.  No dice.   I miss doing the hunting kind of sales.  Like I haven't been to a garage sale in more than a decade.  

• Like 2

I got paid yesterday and funded the European vaca fund to 41%.

Dh is currently gallivanting around trying to find an oil filter for his truck, they are out all over town. He is overdue for his since last month was so busy. He is changing his and ds' car today. 

Dh ended up with 16 hrs OT this week and that is with him trying to cut back. He's hoping he actually gets a weekend off and doesn't get called in. He got called in Saturday and Sunday last weekend. 

If we get the stimulus it will finish filling the shop fund with around $900 to spare, depending on dh's checks this month. That plus the tax return(which should be decent as I paid estimated payments all last year for my job) should finish filling up the sinking savings funds- medical (to deductible), house (1.5% value of house for maint/rep), car(1k baby fund), bday gifts, electronics replacements, Christmas, and small vaca this summer. 

Filling up the savings sinkings funds then frees up around $550 a month to grow the vehicle fund from $1k to $3k and the eFund to phase 2.

Past that there is Efund phase #3 and a car fund for me. Always something to spend money on, always.

One step at a time though.

Dh is working so much now we should be doing well this year, I hope things continue to look good but his hours really are too much right now with school as well. My hours this month aren't going to be great with it being a short month and CNY but I had a bit extra in January, which hopefully evens it all out.

• Like 4

I went to Goodwill the other day as I had to drop some items off. I didn't do a lot of hunting. I did find a few clothing items for the girls that they needed- $3 each- $15 total and- 12 cloth napkins in new condition- $6 for all. My last batch, also from Goodwill, are looking worn so I was thrilled to find them. They save me so much in paper towel/naphkin costs and are just nicer to use (and better for the environment).

• Like 3

1 hour ago, historically accurate said:

Yay for a covered ER visit! That is wonderful news.

DH and I periodically look at TN zillow also. Although we focus on the Knoxville area. Occasionally, we peruse Georgia or Alabama or North Carolina. It's nice to dream about some heat in the winter. 85% chance we'll move to the southeast after the kids are grown. I have always wanted to move to that region after college in Kentucky, but family brought me home. Northern IL is very cold right now, and it's an expensive state. 

We're planning on Little Caesar's pizza tonight. We have grocery pickup later this afternoon as well which is good since we just ran out of eggs and milk this morning. 

@ThatboyofmineWay to go on getting your car paid off! What a wonderful feeling that must be! 

@cjzimmer1I hope you can get that retaining wall figured out. That sounds like a bear to fix.

I am dreaming of spring the last few days too and what I want to do.  We get chickens every year.  I really want to grow some sunflowers.  We always get excited to garden and then don't take care of it.   I want the littles to do butterflies this year too.    I would love to do  more animals, but alas we are on a tiny lot. 

Yeah I think I need to visit areas that I want to move to.  We have nothing (but dh's work) keeping us here. My family is in IL and we only normally see them 3 times a year.  

Yay for all the overtime.  I would love that.  Dh is salary and doesn't get any at all.  Just works tons of hours. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Soror said:

I got paid yesterday and funded the European vaca fund to 41%.

Dh is currently gallivanting around trying to find an oil filter for his truck, they are out all over town. He is overdue for his since last month was so busy. He is changing his and ds' car today. 

Dh ended up with 16 hrs OT this week and that is with him trying to cut back. He's hoping he actually gets a weekend off and doesn't get called in. He got called in Saturday and Sunday last weekend. 

If we get the stimulus it will finish filling the shop fund with around $900 to spare, depending on dh's checks this month. That plus the tax return(which should be decent as I paid estimated payments all last year for my job) should finish filling up the sinking savings funds- medical (to deductible), house (1.5% value of house for maint/rep), car(1k baby fund), bday gifts, electronics replacements, Christmas, and small vaca this summer. 

Filling up the savings sinkings funds then frees up around $550 a month to grow the vehicle fund from $1k to $3k and the eFund to phase 2.

Past that there is Efund phase #3 and a car fund for me. Always something to spend money on, always.

One step at a time though.

Dh is working so much now we should be doing well this year, I hope things continue to look good but his hours really are too much right now with school as well. My hours this month aren't going to be great with it being a short month and CNY but I had a bit extra in January, which hopefully evens it all out.

Yay for all your dh's overtime.  That is pretty amazing that he can do all that.  Work full time, go to school, overtime and still be present parent.  I feel like I could have done that in my teens or 20s, but now I don't think I have the energy to do that. 

So great that everyone is going to be so responsible with tax refunds and stimulus money.  It is a lucky position to be in to have made it through the pandemic without losing employment.  

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

Yay for all your dh's overtime.  That is pretty amazing that he can do all that.  Work full time, go to school, overtime and still be present parent.  I feel like I could have done that in my teens or 20s, but now I don't think I have the energy to do that. 

So great that everyone is going to be so responsible with tax refunds and stimulus money.  It is a lucky position to be in to have made it through the pandemic without losing employment.  

Oh, it is not ideal at all and not sustainable. Even when not at work there are emails and texts and the drive time going back in for call ins. He doesn't have enough hours in the day. But we are doing are best and hoping it slows down soon. He did have a 20% income reduction for a few months and the very real threat of job loss and still has reduced benefits. It stinks that he is required to finish a degree they are no longer paying anything for. But things are still much better right then they were. Better stability, more pay, and more hours. 

We are trying to stay focused because we are coming off some bad years. We don't want to squander the opportunity buying toys and fun stuff. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Soror said:

Oh, it is not ideal at all and not sustainable. Even when not at work there are emails and texts and the drive time going back in for call ins. He doesn't have enough hours in the day. But we are doing are best and hoping it slows down soon. He did have a 20% income reduction for a few months and the very real threat of job loss and still has reduced benefits. It stinks that he is required to finish a degree they are no longer paying anything for. But things are still much better right then they were. Better stability, more pay, and more hours. 

We are trying to stay focused because we are coming off some bad years. We don't want to squander the opportunity buying toys and fun stuff. 

That is a lot of OT. Here DH has been getting about 8-10 instead of his usual 2-5. Fortunately, he finished his degree in December. He'd be a wreck if he was having to do school as well. 

You seem to be doing a very good job keeping focused on your goals! Over 40% filled vacation fund! Whoo-hoo!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, historically accurate said:

That is a lot of OT. Here DH has been getting about 8-10 instead of his usual 2-5. Fortunately, he finished his degree in December. He'd be a wreck if he was having to do school as well. 

You seem to be doing a very good job keeping focused on your goals! Over 40% filled vacation fund! Whoo-hoo!

Congrats to your dh for finishing his degree. Very handy he us getting OT now.

Right now is generally the busiest time of year of dh's work and they have all these projects in top of that, it is a bit crazy. Several weeks he had 30 hrs OT, again not counting time at home answering questions and troubleshooting. It is a blessing and a curse. Trying to focus on the blessing but I'm also trying to get him to take some time off. He has a stockpile of vaca days but they always need him for something and he doesn't want to cause an inconvenience. He was gripping at me that I've been working 7daya a week since October I told him I would take off if he did and he finally scheduled a vaca day Feb 15. 

• Like 1

We are trying to do the FAFSA now and it keeps crashing. Hate It.

I need to dig through the garage and find all of the seed starting stuff for the first batch of gardening. The buds are swelling on the plum tree, so it’s getting to be that time of year.... 

I also need to budget for more mulch. We haven’t done that in almost two years, and the old stuff has all broken down.

Electric panel repairs were completed. $1300, so less than we anticipated. Hot tub is going again.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, prairiewindmomma said:

I need to dig through the garage and find all of the seed starting stuff for the first batch of gardening. The buds are swelling on the plum tree, so it’s getting to be that time of year.... 

I also need to budget for more mulch. We haven’t done that in almost two years, and the old stuff has all broken down.

Electric panel repairs were completed. $1300, so less than we anticipated. Hot tub is going again.

Ugh expensive, but that sounds so nice.  

• Like 1

You guys I don't intend to tell you about every deal I find at Goodwill but this one I can't avoid. It was a HUGE score.  As I was getting ready to leave after spending a quick ten minutes searching and finding a few good things they we'll out a new cart right in front of me.  It was filled with video games and dvds.  I went through every single one and picked out 30 of them.  Each cost 99 cents so I spent $30.  I will make over $500 on it all and most of it will sell pretty fast. There are some $60 games and movies in there.  The highest value thing is a $99 dvd.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, prairiewindmomma said:

Thank you for reminding me about starting to plan our garden.  Sucks about the electric panel repairs.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, hjffkj said:

You guys I don't intend to tell you about every deal I find at Goodwill but this one I can't avoid. It was a HUGE score.  As I was getting ready to leave after spending a quick ten minutes searching and finding a few good things they we'll out a new cart right in front of me.  It was filled with video games and dvds.  I went through every single one and picked out 30 of them.  Each cost 99 cents so I spent $30.  I will make over $500 on it all and most of it will sell pretty fast. There are some $60 games and movies in there.  The highest value thing is a $99 dvd.

Score!  You have a really awesome Goodwill. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Soror said:

I went to Goodwill the other day as I had to drop some items off. I didn't do a lot of hunting. I did find a few clothing items for the girls that they needed- $3 each- $15 total and- 12 cloth napkins in new condition- $6 for all. My last batch, also from Goodwill, are looking worn so I was thrilled to find them. They save me so much in paper towel/naphkin costs and are just nicer to use (and better for the environment).

I always find nice cloth napkins at Goodwill.  I replace mine about every 2 years with Goodwill ones that clearly weren't used or barely used.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, hjffkj said:

Awesome find!

12 hours ago, hjffkj said:

I always find nice cloth napkins at Goodwill.  I replace mine about every 2 years with Goodwill ones that clearly weren't used or barely used.

Yes, same here, I think people just buy them for looks.

Worked on taxes and looks like we will be getting more back than expected due to my prepayment. We talked about goals and the order we wanted to do things. Once our sinking fund savings goals are met we will be put those monthly funds towards Efund- Phase 2. We should be able to complete P2 this year. With dh's inevitable OT we will be looking to cash flow items so we can preserve sinking funds and also have started a wish farm. Dh's first want is a new router and new bathroom vanity for the basement is on my list. We will just work our way through one at a time as we can afford it. He wanted to start putting money towards the big vaca but I'm on track to fund that and like the feeling of accomplishment that my income funded it.

Today's todo list is making a weekly menu. Hopefully having dh finally fix some shelves in my basement so I can sell them and get them out of the way.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Soror said:

Awesome find!

Yes, same here, I think people just buy them for looks.

Worked on taxes and looks like we will be getting more back than expected due to my prepayment. We talked about goals and the order we wanted to do things. Once our sinking fund savings goals are met we will be put those monthly funds towards Efund- Phase 2. We should be able to complete P2 this year. With dh's inevitable OT we will be looking to cash flow items so we can preserve sinking funds and also have started a wish farm. Dh's first want is a new router and new bathroom vanity for the basement is on my list. We will just work our way through one at a time as we can afford it. He wanted to start putting money towards the big vaca but I'm on track to fund that and like the feeling of accomplishment that my income funded it.

Today's todo list is making a weekly menu. Hopefully having dh finally fix some shelves in my basement so I can sell them and get them out of the way.

Yay for getting more back then you thought.  Always a bonus.