Menu

What new home purchases have you made that you love?

mommyoffive

11 hours ago, Lady Florida. said:

I just bought one recently thanks to a thread here (was it you?). We love it! We love that we can each have our own sign in so the others in the house don't know your info unless you choose to share it. 😄 

Yep. No paperwork, no sharing. Love it! 👍🏼😁

• Like 1

I love my Zen Garden that I build right outside the kitchen window in the fall. I put 2 bird feeders there and keep them well stocked. I watch the birds, squirrels and occasional mouse everyday. It makes me so happy!!  I've strung lights all around it and turn them on every night. When it's warm enough I can sit out and enjoy it.

IMG_20201028_193512475.jpg

• Like 6

3 hours ago, mmasc said:

I LOVE this! Thank you for posting! 

You're welcome! We like it so much that we are hoping to purchase the entertainment center in this same style, although possibly in the dark teal color. (It's out of stock at our store, so we'll see.)

Another nice feature of the cabinet we have is that it is kitchen counter height, so we can use it for extra prep space. It was great during the holidays while our college girl was home. We set it up as a tea and snack station. So we had our electric tea pot plugged in along with an assortment of teas, Christmas mugs, Chex mix, cookies, and candy. It was nice to have that area separate from our normal food-prep counters.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, iamonlyone said:

You're welcome! We like it so much that we are hoping to purchase the entertainment center in this same style, although possibly in the dark teal color. (It's out of stock at our store, so we'll see.)

Another nice feature of the cabinet we have is that it is kitchen counter height, so we can use it for extra prep space. It was great during the holidays while our college girl was home. We set it up as a tea and snack station. So we had our electric tea pot plugged in along with an assortment of teas, Christmas mugs, Chex mix, cookies, and candy. It was nice to have that area separate from our normal food-prep counters.

Online it doesn’t look like it would be big enough for a stand mixer, crock pot, etc so I’m glad you shared what all it can hold. This looks like exactly what I’m needing! IKEA is about 2 hours away, but it could be worth the trip to see this thing in person.😊

I love smart bulbs, especially if they work with both Google and Alexa (we're a mixed home lol).

I love Google Home and being able to control the thermostat, see who's at the door (or watch for a delivery person you know is on the way), turn lights on and off. There's more but we haven't even scratched the surface of what it can do.

I love our Chromecast. By plugging the Chromecast in to our tv we can use the tv as a digital photo frame. I just go to Google Photos and choose which ones I want displayed.

I like our Nest doorbell camera and that I can tell Google to "show me the front door" (see above Google Home)

I love my Shark robot vacuum with room mapping and self-emptying base.

I love our sunup/sundown Bali shades. In the master bedroom we have blackout for the sundown because dh has to sleep during the day due to his work schedule. In the other bedrooms they're more room darkening than total blackout. The top sheer allows us to have light in the room while still having privacy. We got ours at Lowes and Bali isn't the only company to sell them, though they each have their own name for them. I also love the top down bottom up cellular shades we have in the other areas of the house though they don't have the sheer at the top. 

Here's the sunup/sundown. For the top down bottom up just picture it without the sheer top.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I've been buying lots of cat stuff.  I have cat allergies - so things that help are very high on my list.  I came across these:

and for all he's only a 4 1/2mo kitten, brushing him with them gets a lot of dead hair.   And since it's a mitt - it's like petting.  some people's cats really like it.  you can use them for dogs too.  dd#1 likes them.

AmazonSmile: [Upgrade Version] Pet Grooming Glove - Gentle Deshedding Brush Glove - Efficient Pet Hair Remover Mitt - Enhanced Five Finger Design - Perfect for Dog & Cat with Long & Short Fur - 1 Pair (BLUE): Pet Supplies

• Like 1

I love the bench at the end of my bed. I hate when people sit on the bed for whatever reason. I don't even like seeing my own husband sitting on the edge of the bed. I feel like it wears the bed, it slants someone who is in it, whatever. Now, with the bench at the end, I can sit on it when I am getting dressed, the kids can sit on it when they dash in to talk to me, or even when I read to them. I just really like it. Also, I have shoe pocket hanging things on many of the doors in my house. It really helps keep things straight and organized.

• Like 2

On 1/8/2021 at 11:53 AM, prairiewindmomma said:

It's built for giant people, like my dh. We have a super deep couch so that he can sit properly. Everyone over 6' who comes to our house is amazed that we have furniture that fits them. Like, to a person, they comment on it and how they never go places that have furniture that fits them.

I am not over 6' so I have to use a bazillion throw pillows or sit elsewhere. 

Dh is over 6' and I'm on the short side.  It's so hard to keep us both happy with furniture!

16 minutes ago, Janeway said:

I love the bench at the end of my bed. I hate when people sit on the bed for whatever reason. I don't even like seeing my own husband sitting on the edge of the bed. I feel like it wears the bed, it slants someone who is in it, whatever. Now, with the bench at the end, I can sit on it when I am getting dressed, the kids can sit on it when they dash in to talk to me, or even when I read to them. I just really like it. Also, I have shoe pocket hanging things on many of the doors in my house. It really helps keep things straight and organized.

I like those too, but I hate that you can't close the door than.  They have ruined a lot of our door frames from people forgetting that you can't do that. 

On 1/8/2021 at 2:42 PM, gardenmom5 said:

My main vacuum is a miele.  I thought about buying a new one and putting the old one in the basement - but I don't want to spend that much.

I got a cheap stick (re: electric broom) that I'll move to the kitchen.

and a cheap cannister for the basement.  One low-pile carpeted room (the thing that really prompted this), the rest is bare floor.

Just to update - I received the cheap canister "eureka mighty mite" today - I'm sending it back.  It does do well in the ratings for a budget canister vac. It cleans well enough for the purpose, but it falls over when turning because the wheelbase is inappropriate for the application.  There is no where (obvious) to stow the cord (maybe I'm just not seeing it.) - which attaches underneath the unit. (doesn't help with keeping it upright.) They're little things - but I can see them becoming things I will come to dislike and wish I'd sent it back - so I'm skipping ahead and just sending it back now.

I'm going to upgrade my miele - the one I have is pretty basic, and has an air driven turbo brush.  It's fine for low-pile carpet and I'll send it to the basement.  I have new area rugs which are much heavier and I want a powerhead to deal with them.  so this will work better - I'll just have to spend more money.

5 hours ago, mommyoffive said:

I like those too, but I hate that you can't close the door than.  They have ruined a lot of our door frames from people forgetting that you can't do that. 

Why can't you close the door?  I have them on several doors and they all close just fine.  My sister keeps one on her pantry door for water bottles.

1 minute ago, KungFuPanda said:

Why can't you close the door?  I have them on several doors and they all close just fine.  My sister keeps one on her pantry door for water bottles.

Maybe some doors have a gap bigger gap with door and the frame.  Ours doesn't have a big gap so you can close the door because of the metal hooks that the thing hangs from.