Menu

Do you frequently try new recipes?

alisoncooks

1 hour ago, matrips said:

I make a much bigger variety than my mom did, but I like easy.  So I’ll try new easy meals. But not labor intensive ones.

Oh, same here. We try new things often (especially foods from other cultures) but I have pretty strict criteria about what I'm willing to do (time wise, ingredients, effort). 

I try new recipes all the time, but it's more like I look at recipes, and then just make up stuff that is sort of inspired by the recipe.

The other day, I found a recipe that looked good, for marinated shrimp done on the grill with tomatoes, zucchini and feta, and served in pita.  Except I didn't have pita so I made orzo.  And the marinade looked complicated, so I just used a bottled Italian dressing.  And I didn't have enough shrimp so I added a few scallops and a lot of tilapia.  And some peppers because everything tastes better with roasted peppers, and asparagus that I wanted to use up before it went bad.  And then I decided it was too dark to cook outside, so I did it in the broiler.   Oh, and we were out of zucchini.

I served it and it was really good. My SIL asked for the recipe.  When I sent it to her she laughed.  She says by now she should have learned not to ask for me recipes, because what I send her won't resemble what I actually cook.

This is all because I do not have the executive functioning to meal plan.  If I was a meal planner I would purchased had pita, and zucchini, and enough shrimp and been able to anticipate that it gets dark in the evening in December.  

• Like 2

This might sound a little weird, but often I will look at what I have ingredient-wise , then turn to the food an ask:

What do you want to become?

Then I will try to listen to what the food tells me.

I picture it in my mind and then make it happen.

This sounds even crazier "on paper" than it sounds in my head. LOL.

But this process works for be. Let the food lead. Listen to your ingredients.

See (and taste) your results before you even start cooking.

Anyway, that's how I do it.

Bill

• Haha 2

I probably try a new recipe at least once a week. There are going to be failures when you’re doing new stuff a lot. I’m sure we’re all excellent chefs if you’re only judging by a couple dozen recipes. 

My parents tried new things occasionally, but they had to get those recipes from cookbooks we had in the house or friends or magazine articles. They also didn’t have access to all of the ingredients that I can get. This was all before the food network and the internet. 

We go in waves... Lots of new for a while, then not so much, but we've added many of the new to our regular planning. This year, we've done quite a bit from the Skinnytaste cookbooks (I have 4 out of the 5) and the Skinnytaste website. 

1 hour ago, BaseballandHockey said:

I try new recipes all the time, but it's more like I look at recipes, and then just make up stuff that is sort of inspired by the recipe.

The other day, I found a recipe that looked good, for marinated shrimp done on the grill with tomatoes, zucchini and feta, and served in pita.  Except I didn't have pita so I made orzo.  And the marinade looked complicated, so I just used a bottled Italian dressing.  And I didn't have enough shrimp so I added a few scallops and a lot of tilapia.  And some peppers because everything tastes better with roasted peppers, and asparagus that I wanted to use up before it went bad.  And then I decided it was too dark to cook outside, so I did it in the broiler.   Oh, and we were out of zucchini.

I served it and it was really good. My SIL asked for the recipe.  When I sent it to her she laughed.  She says by now she should have learned not to ask for me recipes, because what I send her won't resemble what I actually cook.

This is all because I do not have the executive functioning to meal plan.  If I was a meal planner I would purchased had pita, and zucchini, and enough shrimp and been able to anticipate that it gets dark in the evening in December.  

I do this also but I think that it's a sign of a good cook that you can pivot repeatedly and get a great result that elicits a request for the recipe. 

PS - when asked for the recipe I would have just said the ingredients I used with the bottled Italian dressing and the broiler. 

1 hour ago, Spy Car said:

This might sound a little weird, but often I will look at what I have ingredient-wise , then turn to the food an ask:

What do you want to become?

Then I will try to listen to what the food tells me.

I picture it in my mind and then make it happen.

This sounds even crazier "on paper" than it sounds in my head. LOL.

But this process works for be. Let the food lead. Listen to your ingredients.

See (and taste) your results before you even start cooking.

Anyway, that's how I do it.

Bill

I don't buy the talking ingredients, they're outside my budget.  But I do a lot of that.  Look at what I have, think about what I could make, maybe use google to find related recipes and then make something up that uses what I already know and what I already have.