Menu

Long length shirts for my preteen girl please

ericathemom

My 11yo daughter has such a long torso that so many of her shirts hit way too high. I keep seeing wide, long and baggy shirts or extreme cropped shirts for girls. She'd love to find slim and long t-shirts (preferably in cotton or linen). Does anyone know of stores/brands that sell good quality t-shirts that are longer in length (torso, not sleeve length).

7 minutes ago, Erica F said:

My 11yo daughter has such a long torso that so many of her shirts hit way too high. I keep seeing wide, long and baggy shirts or extreme cropped shirts for girls. She'd love to find slim and long t-shirts (preferably in cotton or linen). Does anyone know of stores/brands that sell good quality t-shirts that are longer in length (torso, not sleeve length).

Abercrombie Kids or Hollister in XS (depending on her size) would probably fit the bill. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Ausmumof3 said:

I wish the cropped shirt trend would die!  My pre teen has a bit of a belly and she hates it.  So hard to buy shirts that don’t show off the tummy when she lifts her arms.

That's my girl too. I don't want her developing some sort of issue just because current fashion is geared towards barbie dolls. 😒

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/5/2020 at 5:50 PM, Ausmumof3 said:

I wish the cropped shirt trend would die!  My pre teen has a bit of a belly and she hates it.  So hard to buy shirts that don’t show off the tummy when she lifts her arms.

That was the story of my life in the 90s - 6' tall, bit of a belly, and all shirts available were cropped. Ugh. We had a bit of a respite a decade ago, but the cropped shirts seem to be back in full force now.

Following for dd14.

My 11yo is also has a long torso and shorter legs.  Most of the stuff at Justice is too small, but depending on her build might work.  We've done OK in the Kohls jrs department, and things that haven't worked have been too slim-cut, which wouldn't be a problem for you.  If she's into anything athletic, some brands have an 'athletic fit' that is quite slim - she might be able to get a bigger size to get the length that she needs.  We also do tunics and leggings sometimes in adult S or M.  We have problems because kiddo likes sweatshirts with her sports stuff on them, worn with leggings.  To get length we wind up with sleeves that would fit my 6'4 husband.  My mom, a 'small plus' sized woman with a long torso, has a similar problem.  T shirts are less of an issue because sleeve length doesn't matter, so we often get adult sizes. 

This is not what you asked at all, but......

Would your 11 year old be at all interested in learning to sew longer T-shirts? I think she is at the perfect age and it could be a fun quarantine project.

There are independent pattern companies who have good directions and sometimes even videos to go with their pdf patterns to help avoid frustration. 

My teen and preteen are getting to the point where they can sew a T-shirt or leggings faster than they can wash an outfit. 

• Like 1

Move her to adult sizes.  Years ago when we were ordering troop shirts for AHG and deciding what size to buy, someone said that a girls L (maybe XL) is the same as an adult S, but with a longer length.  My dd is tall and the adult S was perfect.  I would also suggest skipping juniors sizes, at least for shirts.  It’s like looking for a needle in a haystack if you want clothes that cover better.  My dd went straight from girls sizes to adult sizes.

Eddie Bauer "Women's Favorite Short-sleeve Crewneck T-shirt" in regular length (not sure if they are even avail in tall) are perfect for one of mine.  She has a very long torso.  Wears them all the time stand alone and as layering piece - good quality, wash well, great colors.

She wears extra small; on her they wear closer to the body than on the model.

https://www.eddiebauer.com/p/20902475/women's-favorite-short-sleeve-crewneck-t-shirt?sp=1&color=Midnight Htr&size=&sizeType=Regular

On 12/5/2020 at 4:50 PM, Carol in Cal. said:

I am not sure whether they have that specifically, but I found that at that transitional age Justice was great.

Just letting you all know they are going out of business and are having a liquidation sale right now. shopjustice.com

1 hour ago, mominco said:

Just letting you all know they are going out of business and are having a liquidation sale right now. shopjustice.com

Well, that is really too bad.  For a couple of years this was the ONLY store that had clothes that DD could wear well.  Also, it was the only place I could find tiny bra band sizes like 28.

19 minutes ago, Carol in Cal. said:

Well, that is really too bad.  For a couple of years this was the ONLY store that had clothes that DD could wear well.  Also, it was the only place I could find tiny bra band sizes like 28.

Same here, there are so many places going under I don't know what will be available anymore! So bummed 😞

On 12/7/2020 at 1:13 PM, Clemsondana said:

My 11yo is also has a long torso and shorter legs.  Most of the stuff at Justice is too small, but depending on her build might work.  We've done OK in the Kohls jrs department, and things that haven't worked have been too slim-cut, which wouldn't be a problem for you.  If she's into anything athletic, some brands have an 'athletic fit' that is quite slim - she might be able to get a bigger size to get the length that she needs.  We also do tunics and leggings sometimes in adult S or M.  We have problems because kiddo likes sweatshirts with her sports stuff on them, worn with leggings.  To get length we wind up with sleeves that would fit my 6'4 husband.  My mom, a 'small plus' sized woman with a long torso, has a similar problem.  T shirts are less of an issue because sleeve length doesn't matter, so we often get adult sizes. 

I think Justice actually goes to size 20 plus online, which might help. In store the sizes seem hit or miss.

1 hour ago, hippymamato3 said:

I think Justice actually goes to size 20 plus online, which might help. In store the sizes seem hit or miss.

My recollection was that everything over 14 was plus sized, so it didn't help for thin, tall kids (it would have been great for a plus-sized kid, though).