Menu

Recipes/ways to cook an eye of the round that isn't chewy!

mlktwins

We have 1 last eye of the round in our freezer that we want to cook.  I usually cook it in the oven with seasoning and serve with gravy, but it always ends up chewy and we don't care for it.  Any suggestions for ways to cook this kind of roast to make is tender?  I have a Crock-pot and an Instapot if that helps.

90 min in an instant pot??!!!! Good heavens! I usually cook mine about 30–for a 2# cut, and that is on the long end of things.

I would treat an eye of round like bottom round—anything muscular from the hind end of a steer is likely to be on the tougher end of meats. 

Cut it into 1” pieces and make a stew, or beef stroganoff or whatever, or treat it as a roast over potatoes and carrots in the IP...either way it should be tender and juicy. 

• Like 1

I haven't used eye of round, BUT... we do eat London Broil which is a cut of meat close to the eye of round, and it has a tendency to be tough, too.

I pound the heck out of London Broil (both sides) with meat mallet, then poke it all over with a fork (which opens the meat up to receive the marinade), and marinate for several hours with oil/vinegar bottled dressing (the vinegar in the dressing acts on the meat to further tenderize).

Then I broil in the convection/toaster oven on a piece of foil, so it's a quick cook, and less time to dry out and get tough/chewy. [Pounding also helped to flatten the meat so it's not so thick and requires shorter cooking time.] Be very careful to not overcook -- cook to just around medium-rare (tinged with red).

Slice thin on an angle, pour over with a little of the meat juice+marinade that is standing in the foil that the meat cooked in, and it is quite good, not chewy.

ETA -- PS
I serve this meat with "oven fries" rather than mashed potatoes/gravy -- slice red potatoes into "fat fries" size, toss with olive oil and spread out on a foil-lined baking sheet. Season with salt & pepper. (We also like to sprinkle on a dash of zippy home-blend seasoning/dry rub that includes chili powder, cumin, cayenne. I haven't used this particular blend, but here's a recipe for the type of thing I mean: Zippy Dry Rub).

Bake at about 375˚ for 25-30 minutes, until cooked through, and just starting to turn golden-brown. Season with a final dash of kosher salt, and serve.

You can also oven roast a tray of veggies at the same time -- toss with olive oil, season with salt, pepper, and fresh rosemary leaves. Or, just salt & pepper, cook, and finish with a final dash of kosher salt. Broccoli + cauliflower + shallots (or thinly sliced red onion) is fabulous. Or a medley of your choice of brussel sprouts (sliced in half), parsnips, turnips, sweet potato, beets, carrots + shallots. It's really those shallots that make roasted veggies amazing! 😛

Edited by Lori D.

4 hours ago, prairiewindmomma said:

90 min in an instant pot??!!!! Good heavens! I usually cook mine about 30–for a 2# cut, and that is on the long end of things.

I tried cooking beef 30 minutes, and it was still tough; I found a recipe that said 90 minutes, and it's turned out great every time since then.  Maybe my beef weighed more and so needed more time?  I'm not sure.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/20/2020 at 4:26 PM, TrulySusan said:

This is my ds favorite meal. Marinate the eye of round  roast overnight in Italian dressing, about half a bottle. Season generously with lemon pepper and one packet of Lipton onion soup mix. Cover and Cook in oven at 250 F for 4 hours.

We are going to try this.  Marinating now.  What kind of pan do you cook it in?  A roasting pan?  Any water in the pan?

• Like 1

THIS is the winner recipe for turning eye of round into lovely roast beef that’s perfect for sandwiches. You need a thermometer and you have to do a salt rub the night before. Be sure to read it all the way through. Hands-on time is minimal, but it does take time in the oven. The results are worth it. 

https://afeastfortheeyes.net/2011/01/slow-roasted-beef-cooks-illustrated.html

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, mlktwins said:

We are going to try this.  Marinating now.  What kind of pan do you cook it in?  A roasting pan?  Any water in the pan?

I use the Pampered Chef deep covered baker. It doesn’t have to be that pan, but to give you an idea. A Dutch oven style would work, or probably a 9x13 with foil over the top if you had to. No water- it creates a ton of juice on its own (so don’t use a super shallow dish).

• Thanks 1

On 11/29/2020 at 8:49 PM, TrulySusan said:

I use the Pampered Chef deep covered baker. It doesn’t have to be that pan, but to give you an idea. A Dutch oven style would work, or probably a 9x13 with foil over the top if you had to. No water- it creates a ton of juice on its own (so don’t use a super shallow dish).

@TrulySusan Thanks so much!  It was so tasty and more tender than we've ever had!  It was our last one and don't plan to buy anymore for a while, but will try this again if we do.  We've never cooked a roast on such a low temp for so long.  Worth the time!

@KungFuPanda Thanks for that recipe.  We love roast beef sandwiches so will try this at some point also.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mlktwins said:

@TrulySusan Thanks so much!  It was so tasty and more tender than we've ever had!  It was our last one and don't plan to buy anymore for a while, but will try this again if we do.  We've never cooked a roast on such a low temp for so long.  Worth the time!

@KungFuPanda Thanks for that recipe.  We love roast beef sandwiches so will try this at some point also.

You inspired me to make roast beef.  Mine is sitting in the fridge waiting for my new thermometer arrived.  It chose thanksgiving to die on me and it makes me feel very insecure to cook without one.

• Like 1